Tiana's Riverboat Party with Festival of Fantasy Parade viewing coming soon

Luxe

=/ Once again: My original post simply stated that people are acting like they cannot ride the riverboat, when they still can, and in my personal opinion I'm not super bothered by it because while visiting the park I (and everyone else since that apparently wasn't evident) will still have plenty of time to ride it. I'm not trying to give off a "not my problem" sort of attitude here, I'm just saying that it really shouldn't have such an impact on your day in the park as there is plenty of time to ride it before or after. It's totally fine if you disagree, but you could just say that instead of making up quotes for me and using sarcasm.
Not to be rude but you are. I've already given up explaining the concept and direction that Disney is going but if you choose to ignore it that's your problem. All I'm saying is that one day it WILL start to impact your park visits. When that day comes, maybe you will start to care.

BrittanyRose428

I really don't see the minimal closure of this particular attraction to be an huge issue. But the principle of closing an attraction during regular operating hours for an Upcharge event really is off putting. Yeah, it just the Riverboat now, but what's to stop them from selling upcharge "pirate cruises" from 11a-8p? You can still ride PotC before and after.
Agreed. As I mentioned before I totally get the argument against upcharges like this, but we really don't know what's going to happen in the future so I'm just focusing on the subject at hand.

Disneyhead'71

Agreed. As I mentioned before I totally get the argument against upcharges like this, but we really don't know what's going to happen in the future so I'm just focusing on the subject at hand.
Still, as is, this is an attraction formerly included with your $100+ ticket for the full day which is now not. You can not say that this does not negatively impact regular guests visits in favor of more lucrative guests. And the same with the ugly $600/day tent city in Tomorrowland.

I mean, they are literally shutting down an attraction during regular operating hours. Thus offering a lesser value to those unwilling or unable to pay for the VIP ice cream social.

BrittanyRose428

Not to be rude but you are. I've already given up explaining the concept and direction that Disney is going but if you choose to ignore it that's your problem. All I'm saying is that one day it WILL start to impact your park visits. When that day comes, maybe you will start to care.
I'm sorry you perceived it that way, but that's not what I was trying to get across at all, hence why I also repeatedly mentioned how my original post literally said that people (as in other guests besides me) can still ride the riverboat and it shouldn't have too much of an impact on their day. I understand the way the parks are going, I'm not ignoring what you're saying at this point I'm just trying to defend the fact that you're putting words in my mouth and stuck on me thinking selfishly when it's actually quite the opposite. I'm just stating my opinion on what is currently happening, since none of us can predict the future and although things definitely seem to be going in this direction we're not going to know until things happen. I think it's best that we agree to disagree at this point.

BrittanyRose428

Still, as is, this is an attraction formerly included with your $100+ ticket for the full day which is now not. You can not say that this does not negatively impact regular guests visits in favor of more lucrative guests. And the same with the ugly $600/day tent city in Tomorrowland.

I mean, they are literally shutting down an attraction during regular operating hours. Thus offering a lesser value to those unwilling or unable to pay for the VIP ice cream social.
I completely agree. I think this is the argument against an event like this and it totally makes sense. All I'm saying is that for the riverboat specifically it shouldn't make a huge difference-- there isn't a line or a Fastpass needed for the riverboat, and it's a relatively easy attraction to fit into the rest of your touring if you can't do it between those hours. I agree that the principle is wrong, and it would be a nightmare if this were to happen to most attractions, I just think that currently with the riverboat it's still manageable.

Animaniac93-98

I really don't see the minimal closure of this particular attraction to be an huge issue. But the principle of closing an attraction during regular operating hours for an Upcharge event really is off putting. Yeah, it just the Riverboat now, but what's to stop them from selling upcharge "pirate cruises" from 11a-8p? You can still ride PotC before and after.

Just some crazy examples off the top of my head:

- Birthday Parties in Dumbo's indoor queue
- Tea Party with Alice & Mad Hatter at their ride
- Laugh Floor presentation with buffet line in queue
- Scavenger Hunt in Pirates queue with Hook & Smee meet 'n greet
- Haunted Mansion "every day is Halloween" dessert party in foyer and streching rooms
- Jungle Cruise Pirate cruise
- BBQ on Tom Sawyer's Island
- Tiki Room wine and cheese

The possibilities are endless...but none should be taken during regular operating hours.

Disneyhead'71

Just some crazy examples off the top of my head:

- Birthday Parties in Dumbo's indoor queue
- Tea Party with Alice & Mad Hatter at their ride
- Laugh Floor presentation with buffet line in queue
- Scavenger Hunt in Pirates queue with Hook & Smee meet 'n greet
- Haunted Mansion "every day is Halloween" dessert party in foyer and streching rooms
- Jungle Cruise Pirate cruise
- BBQ on Tom Sawyer's Island
- Tiki Room wine and cheese

The possibilities are endless...but none should be taken during regular operating hours.
Let's not be too hasty on ruling out a BBQ on TDI. Throw in a bluegrass band and we may be on to something. Not an upcharge though. Just good BBQ and music in the woods.

Sonconato

Up until very recently Liberty Square was my favourite land. Largely unspoiled, quaint, pretty. Classic Americana, classic Disney.

Now it has a Rapunzel Land, Muppets blaring from the windows, a credit card vending booth, electronic games in the windows. On top of the older travesties of a closed antique shop, closed Horseshoe show, closed Keelboat attraction, horrible toontown addition to the Keelboat dock, lame toonified Mansion, lost music band, lost live entertainment, stone pavement replaced by stone coloured paint.

And all of that you have to endure to find the one boat ride left (of three) is closed for an upcharge private viewing area while you are directed to the throngs for the parade.

They took paradise and turned it into a mean and sorry dump.
I've been going to WDW since 1974 and you've just shown me my "aha moment," but in the worst way possible. It's nice to have someone who can take my thoughts and articulate them perfectly. Thank you!

Cletus

I've been going to WDW since 1974 and you've just shown me my "aha moment," but in the worst way possible. It's nice to have someone who can take my thoughts and articulate them perfectly. Thank you!
Me, too! That doesn't mean we're old. That's what I tell myself, at least. :)

Luxe

I'm sorry you perceived it that way, but that's not what I was trying to get across at all, hence why I also repeatedly mentioned how my original post literally said that people (as in other guests besides me) can still ride the riverboat and it shouldn't have too much of an impact on their day. I understand the way the parks are going, I'm not ignoring what you're saying at this point I'm just trying to defend the fact that you're putting words in my mouth and stuck on me thinking selfishly when it's actually quite the opposite. I'm just stating my opinion on what is currently happening, since none of us can predict the future and although things definitely seem to be going in this direction we're not going to know until things happen. I think it's best that we agree to disagree at this point.
I don't mean to seem like I'm attacking you personally, all of my thoughts on this subject are essentially directed to the group of people on these boards that have the same opinion about these sorts of things. Nothing personal of course, just wanted to make sure that was clear.

TeriofTerror

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
"Doesn't directly affect me, don't care."

See ya real soon, you know, when it does...

This is the mentality which allows WDW to get away with crap like this, If it does not affect MY favorite it does not matter, The Liberty Belle just happens to be one of OUR must do's as it's one of those attractions which just for a while takes you 'somewhere else' and you can imagine just for a while you are in one of Mark Twain's stories.

I personally DONT care about thrills get enough of those at work, I DO care about immersive experiences of which the riverboat is one. Because I care about WDW as a WHOLE I kick back against any subtractions because EVERYTHING is SOMEONE's favorite.

Luxe

This is the mentality which allows WDW to get away with crap like this, If it does not affect MY favorite it does not matter, The Liberty Belle just happens to be one of OUR must do's as it's one of those attractions which just for a while takes you 'somewhere else' and you can imagine just for a while you are in one of Mark Twain's stories.

I personally DONT care about thrills get enough of those at work, I DO care about immersive experiences of which the riverboat is one. Because I care about WDW as a WHOLE I kick back against any subtractions because EVERYTHING is SOMEONE's favorite.
Exactly my point, very well said.

note2001

My belief is that this, the parties, the early morning entry breakfast... they are response to the money issue that has been caused by certain construction projects. Disney management has asked everyone to reach deep into their imaginations and come up with ways to help make the company money that will not impact how the parks and resorts function. There most likely is some sort of incentive there for the employees to make a buck if their idea pans out. For this particular idea, it seems as though someone reached into their commode, shook it off what they found there, sprayed it with a bit of cologne and it was mistaken by Disney for being a magical sh...umpthing.

I'm pretty sure this is simply a test and if the idea takes off and becomes popular, I can see them constructing a pleasant and air quality controlled units in all the lands that will fit thematically. This being a tent, you'd think it would have been over by Dumbo's circus. :D

Last edited:

JohnD

Up until very recently Liberty Square was my favourite land. Largely unspoiled, quaint, pretty. Classic Americana, classic Disney.

Now it has a Rapunzel Land, Muppets blaring from the windows, a credit card vending booth, electronic games in the windows. On top of the older travesties of a closed antique shop, closed Horseshoe show, closed Keelboat attraction, horrible toontown addition to the Keelboat dock, lame toonified Mansion, lost music band, lost live entertainment, stone pavement replaced by stone coloured paint.

And all of that you have to endure to find the one boat ride left (of three) is closed for an upcharge private viewing area while you are directed to the throngs for the parade.

They took paradise and turned it into a mean and sorry dump.

The Tangled Toilets are actually in Fantasyland. The screens are all over MK. This isn't a "problem" specific to LS. (I don't play the games myself). One can argue about LS integrity but the Muppets show is actually good and it at least gets people to stop and learn history in an entertaining way.

Bandini

I can't imagine that this dessert party will last long. It sounds like guests will eat their Ice Cream Sundaes on the dock and then board the docked boat to watch the parade, without the ice cream. Afterward they'll ride around on the ROA.

Personally, copping a squat on a curb and eating an ice cream cone while watching the parade sounds like more fun, plus a lot cheaper!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now this is an up-charge event that REALLY ticks me off. Removing the Riverboat for a private party during the MIDDLE OF THE DAY is entirely unacceptable and, frankly, disgusting. After hours or pre-opening events don't bother me, special viewing locations are fine, heck even the tacky Tomorrowland cabanas are fine, but this? No. This opens the doors to other attractions facing the same fate. Idiots, every single person running WDW

And all those people who couldn't see the writing on the wall... and tried to shout down the people that said all these new 'offerings' were just creating new conveniences for those willing to pay... why wouldn't disney charge for this.. etc.. but were too blinded to see what these offerings are really revealing.. showing how Disney is approaching customers and the business. Right @WDW1974 ? But the defenders were just too short-sighted to see it. Well.. between this and the cabanas.. maybe people will start cluing in?? Maybe???

The business philosophy, culture, and morals have shifted.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This just reeks of desperation. It's not like it is free admission and they are are trying to get money. It's $100 a head and they feel the need to charge for all of these "special" events. This is sad to me. Like something is dying and may never come back......

It's not desperation when they can keep selling these things without even needing to directly solicit people to do it (since the online world will do it for them...) -- it's capitalizing on a scenario. Something that shows your focus and morals when your solution to the problem is creating upcharge opportunities.

When it's a disaster area we call it 'gouging' - When its a Disney park we call it 'a new offering' :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom