Tiana's Riverboat Party with Festival of Fantasy Parade viewing coming soon

peter11435

Oh yes, let's make excuses for why this is taken off line. Disney did it so that they could continue to operate the riverboat. So now I understand, it's for our own good! Sorry, I'm not buying it. This is another **** poor money grab.
No $$$$ this is a money grab. It's designed to make extra money off of an underutilized asset. I'm not making excuses just pointing out that the boat will likely be gone in the not terribly distant future if a justification for its existinace is not found. And no the small percentage of guests that wonder on will not be enough.

Luxe

I never said it devalues its place in the park. But when you are paying for an expensive attraction to operate that hardly anyone rides it's understandable to question if it's worth the cost. As for atmosphere, aesthetic, and ambience, the boat still provides that even during this event for all of the guest on land. And let's face it that's how the vast majority of guests experience the boat anyway, by viewing it appreciating from land.
Good point. Poor Disney is having a rough time right now, how could they ever afford to operate one of the centrepiece attractions for an entire land? I'm sure they want to keep it running but are just struggling through such hard financial times right now that it might not be possible on their own wallet. I feel so bad for them...

Plenty of guests enjoy riding the riverboat whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

peter11435

This right here is everything that is wrong with the parks today. Each attraction, each shop, each soda stand, has to show a profit. The resort as a whole is making money hand over fist, and it should be treated as a whole. Barely anyone rides CoP, should we close it down for Birthday parties? I usually can walk on to Nemo, should we close it down, pass out cupcakes, and charge $40 a head for a "premium experience"? Maybe we can turn Spaceship earth into a private wine tour from 12-6pm, sound good?
I agree to an extent. The resort should be viewed as a whole and not every thing should need to show a profit. But if you have an attraction that hardly anyone rides than it shows that it is not popular and the money spent operating it or the land it takes up could be put to better use.

Bandini

No $$$$ this is a money grab. It's designed to make extra money off of an underutilized asset. I'm not making excuses just pointing out that the boat will likely be gone in the not terribly distant future if a justification for its existinace is not found. And no the small percentage of guests that wonder on will not be enough.
You are making excuses for Disney's greed. According to you, if we don't accept these upsells the attractions will poof. Not buying it.

peter11435

Good point. Poor Disney is having a rough time right now, how could they ever afford to operate one of the centrepiece attractions for an entire land? I'm sure they want to keep it running but are just struggling through such hard financial times right now that it might not be possible on their own wallet. I feel so bad for them...

Plenty of guests enjoy riding the riverboat whether you care to acknowledge it or not.
You can continue to miss the point and vomit hyperbole. It's not about not being able to afford to operate the boat.

Very few actually ride the riverboat. Whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

ScottKC

Was at Magic Kingdom on Black Friday and watched the parade from Aunt Polly's veranda. It was really just an accident, we were resting there when the parade started so we just watched the whole thing go by. The view wasn't great, but it was fun enough. I don't imagine the Liberty Belle will get you that much of an improved view...(maybe from the upper decks?). The mentality that closes the Main Street Vehicles early (although part of that is just the shear crowds pouring down Main Street at midday...there is no room for vehicles) is the same that says take the Belle offline from 1-4.

peter11435

You are making excuses for Disney's greed. According to you, if we don't accept these upsells the attractions will poof. Not buying it.
That's not exactly what I said. I'm saying that if successful this event may keep the boat around for years to come. Which keeping the boat around is a good thing since I assure you it's life span with current Disney management is short.

Luxe

I agree to an extent. The resort should be viewed as a whole and not every thing should need to show a profit. But if you have an attraction that hardly anyone rides than it shows that it is not popular and the money spent operating it or the land it takes up could be put to better use.
I'm sure Disney is putting the money from these upcharge event to good use...

You can continue to miss the point and vomit hyperbole. It's not about not being able to afford to operate the boat.

Very few actually ride the riverboat. Whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

I have never seen it empty. There are ALWAYS people riding it from open to close. Just because it isn't doing 7DMT numbers doesn't mean it's a ghost town.

wdwgreek

Given how awful the viewing of the parade is, I cannot see this lasting that long. Short of shearing trees there is really no way to improve that view. Also for 40+ dollars I'll buy my self 4 cupcakes and a slushie before jumping in line to meet these characters... if a show was done on the boat or some special narrative that would be on thing, but this is so bare bones, if they are going to cash grab at least do a good job dressing it up as special.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The boat could be permanently docked and made a walk on princess and the frog meet and great or mini museum.

I'm not saying I want this to happen, but if this attraction is truly expensive to run and had low popularity, I'm sure Disney will be looking for ways to cut that cost and there are ways to cut that cost without taking away the asthetic of the boat on the river. So, I would prepare yourself for that happening.

I'd imagine this upcharge we pitched by some people who see this as a classic like a lot of people here do and are trying to keep it running. Don't get me wrong, it's a cash grab, but a cash grab that I feel someone at Disney is trying to use for good.

Personally, I don't think I've ridden the riverboat in like 10 years. And none of my Disney fan friends do either. Two of my friends do tours in magic kingdom through an outside company that specializes in people visiting for the first time and making sure they can do all the classics. In the past two years they've been doing tours, only once had someone considered the riverboat a ride they wanted to do in the tour and it was on their second day in the park. Most people just care about looking at it while they walk by, not riding it.

TL;DR If the boat was docked permanently and just used as decoration with maybe a M&G or something inside, most people wouldn't be effected in the slightest because riding it is not consisered a classic, just seeing it is.

drizgirl

Maybe they could just add FP+ to the riverboat. That busied up a bunch of other attractions (Spaceship Earth?).

drizgirl

That's not exactly what I said. I'm saying that if successful this event may keep the boat around for years to come. Which keeping the boat around is a good thing since I assure you it's life span with current Disney management is short.

I'm pretty cynical about current parks management. But I'm not buying that the Liberty Belle is going anywhere if it fails to produce revenue.

What about the Partners statue? What kind of revenue has it been bringing in?

peter11435

I'm pretty cynical about current parks management. But I'm not buying that the Liberty Belle is going anywhere if it fails to produce revenue.

What about the Partners statue? What kind of revenue has it been bringing in?
The partners statue does not cost a small fortune to operate.

peter11435

Don't bother arguing with the orange bird, he's a well-known Disney apologist. Your sanity will be spared if you just let him chirp into the void.
Hey if you don't appreciate facts that's on you. I'm not an apologist. I'll be the first to tell you how awful those tomorrowland tents are and how bad the parade viewing is from the riverboat. There are many decisions that make me angry.

I'm also not happy that the riverboats long term future is either being permanently docked or scrapped and I think it's sad that it will come to that. Which is why I'm hopeful that this may extend the life of the boat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom