News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Stripes

Premium Member
Seriously? What is nonsense? Don’t you remember Covid? I think you’re giving Iger way too much credit…
Chapek was fired because the company reported a terrible quarter and he was talking to investors like everything was sunshine and rainbows. He even highlighted Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party on the conference call, which investors could not care less about. It was brutally embarrassing for the company to have a CEO so utterly oblivious to the company’s struggles let alone any plan to address them. And yes, Chapek navigated the Covid period which saw the company take on a lot of debt, but there were plenty of non-COVID related business decisions that Chapek made that were damaging the company.

Iger, from the moment he got back, was clear-eyed about the company’s challenges. And the financial results have drastically improved since his return.

Now, people say they want Eisner back but they forget that Eisner was giving us this crap before he left.

basas

Chapek was fired because the company reported a terrible quarter and he was talking to investors like everything was sunshine and rainbows. He even highlighted Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party on the conference call, which investors could not care less about. It was brutally embarrassing for the company to have a CEO so utterly oblivious to the company’s struggles let alone any plan to address them. And yes, Chapek navigated the Covid period which saw the company take on a lot of debt, but there were plenty of non-COVID related business decisions that Chapek made that were damaging the company.

Iger, from the moment he got back, was clear-eyed about the company’s challenges. And the financial results have drastically improved since his return.

Alright, I get it. You despise Chapek and think Iger is fantastic. I’m allowed to hold a different opinion.

Chapek was literally CEO for probably the worst two years any executive could be in charge. How much of what went wrong don’t you attribute to Iger, who had been in charge for the preceding 15 years? I would argue the company underperformed the last five years of his tenure and the seeds had been planted…

Last edited:

Midwest Elitist

1717399679730.png

?

Vclguy90

Iger has only been back for a year and a half. The films premiering this summer will be the first to have his imprint on them since he came back. (Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes probably did too.)

The critical creative approvals for this project were almost certainly made by Chapek/D’Amaro.

Financially, the company is doing much, much better than when Iger came back. Any claim to the contrary is nonsense.

And who cares about how they are doing financially? I want them to actually find themselves again and pump out some hits, via film or parks. Have you seen Disney+ lately, it looks like an hogeposh of an identity crisis and trying to stay relevant.

And sure, the argument can be made that if they weren't doing things right than why are they so financially successful? I mean, I truly don't think we know how financially successful they are since all they are doing robbing Peter to pay Paul between their subsidiaries. Parks are great but film/TV is in the dumpster so let's use the parks to pay for flop after flop after flop. That has a domino effect that we all pay for in quality of experiences. But as for the parks, they are profitable because they are charging more and giving less now. They charge for EVERYTHING now to where it's all an expense and no value - and there is a huge difference between the both when it comes to patron retention. But profits don't mean satisfaction is great. I rather a poor company that spits out quality hits than a wealthy company that spits out garbage. Iger is a numbers person and more numbers to him deems success and that isn't always true and he isn't really learning from his mistakes or other's feedback as all he is focused on are the dollers rolling in. The only reason the dollars are rolling in is because it's Disney. People aren't coming back for his regime, they are coming back for the quality and the feel of the regimes that preceeded him. Kids that grew up during his regime won't know the parks that Eisner and before made magical for us. Thus they aren't coming back as adults. This is going to filter down as the years pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAV

I’m being more direct about it than those engaging in the sort of behaviour I’m referring to. It’s impossible to discuss properly

without breaking forum rules, so I’ll leave it there.
Suuuuuuure. Right up until the point you made that post, I had no clue who was behind the ride. Nit. One. Clue. I had to Google the names. I am sure I am not the only one. Belonging to a particular demographic does not and should not shield anyone from legitimate criticism.

basas

Very unprecedented times, given the pandemic, etc. We can argue until we’re blue in the face who deserves credit or blame for the company’s performance through the pandemic. Personally, I’m just not an Iger fan. He was good early in his tenure, but he’s been around too long.

And to bring the discussion back to the topic at hand, this project just seems to have Iger’s fingerprints all over it. But that is not based on any inside information, so if I’m wrong and someone knows better…feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

One might also opine that’s it’s pretty hard for Splash merchandise to “fly off the shelves” when they wouldn’t stock Splash merchandise…
I’m not sure what you mean. There was a whole store devoted to Splash merchandise. I know because I bought some.

basas

I’m not sure what you mean. There was a whole store devoted to Splash merchandise. I know because I bought some.

I’m referring to post-Covid. Once they reopened, they sold out of Splash merchandise and would not stock/produce anymore.

And with the attraction’s closure there was definitely demand for it. People reportedly waited over an hour for a pressed penny on the final day of operation because that was literally the only thing that featured Splash and its characters.

MerlinTheGoat

They mean during the last few years of operation when Disney began rapidly pulling the merch from shelves. The store that sold splashdown photos was selling generic Disney merch devoid of Splash references for a while before closure, aside from the photos themselves I think (I assume they still sold those anyway, but even there i'm not 100% sure). The Briar Patch shop hasn't had Splash merch for even longer prior to closing. When I perused it back in the mid 2010s, I couldn't find a single Splash-themed item for sell. all they had there was Pooh and other generic Disney stuff.

MerlinTheGoat

You really have no way of knowing that. It certainly wasn’t why I rode it.
Nor me. In fact, I actively went out of my way to avoid getting soaked while riding it. Especially in cold seasons. I always ask for the back row for that reason (which gets the least wet out of all rows), and duck down when the boat reaches the bottom of the big drop. That prevents most threats of being drenched (even the waterfall at the stop right before the finale). Aside from the lottery of being hit by the the jets between the first two lifts. It's nice that there are/were ways to avoid getting too wet, unlike something like Kali River (i'm not a fan of those types of rapids rides).

I think quite a lot of people don't like getting drenched but still loved Splash. After getting off the ride, walking around in temperatures in the 90s in soaking wet clothes, underwear and squelching shoes is definitely not a pleasant experience whatsoever for many people. I get the same or better relief of being cooled off by just a proper air conditioned interior building, without any of the downsides.

He was probably typing his reply at the same time. It’s all good! 👍
Yep, I was late.

cookiee_munster

Jeez Louise, I come on here after a little bit away and this thread has been filled with Iger/Chapek stuff. As the ice queen herself would belt out: Let it Go...

On a more related note, i've seen the POV of the ride and I think it's fantastic. With what they have to work with already it's hard to work with the limitations of the ride structure, and to fit a whole new narrative around that is commendable.

I don't believe for a second that this was in development way, Way, WAY before the announcement. So what they've managed to do with the short time they've had is great.

The animatronics are all top-notch too. There are areas that look a little sparse, and may have little additions through the years, but what's there is great.

And that end song, I've been humming all day. I'd take that over Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah any time.

Overall I can't see why kids and adults who aren't hardcore Disney parks fans like the rabble here wouldn't like it. I think it ticks all the boxes to be a pretty good attraction and a fair replacement of a ride based on characters from a pretty controversial film.

And on that note, i'm now going to listen to "Special Spice" for the 100th time :)

mergatroid

My main criticism would be it does feel a bit sparse in parts, compared to Splash anyway. I'm not too bothered about the 'storyline' really as I never really thought much of Splash's 'storyline' either. I rode Splash for the fun of the drops, the animatronics and the music. To me it feels a bit off in parts but what is good is very good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom