News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

mickEblu

I understand not liking this approach, but I don’t see how it’s inherently infantile when, as you yourself acknowledge, it’s also used for Star Wars and Marvel attractions.

So "let's go find the critters" doesn't sound more infantile then "its going to explode, abandon ship?" I never said that the active participant approach was inherently juvenile.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

So "let's go find the critters" doesn't sound more infantile then "its going to explode, abandon ship? I also never said that the active participant approach was inherently juvenile.
As I said, to me it sounds like dialogue from a Disney attraction. I’m genuinely baffled by the idea that it’s atypically or offputtingly infantile.

DavidDL

... So hearing things like “let’s go find the critters” or “help us find the missing ingredient” out loud makes it sound a little juvenile. You don’t really hear that stuff on the older attractions based on Disney animated movies. ...

"Now, let's go get that Dino!"

-Dinosaur, Animal Kingdom circa 2000 based on the animated feature film, Dinosaur, released 2000

Sorry, I had to. 🤣

JohnD

I think the issue for me is two-fold in that it comes across a bit juvenile but also continues Disneys trend of the guests being recruited or being an active part of the story. Sometimes it works when great execution like the Ghost Host speaking to us. Brer Rabbit wasn’t recruiting us to help him escape. We were presented with a whimsical setting, characters and music to enjoy. Furthermore, I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced being a recruit or active part of the story with Disney animated IP. It’s usually Star Wars or Marvel. So hearing things like “let’s go find the critters” or “help us find the missing ingredient” out loud makes it sound a little juvenile. You don’t really hear that stuff on the older attractions based on Disney animated movies. It’s a certain level of hand holding going on these days not just with Tiana but other new attractions. Frozen Ever After too if I’m not mistaken.

Then add the fact they re not including the villains or darker elements from the movie and you can see why people feel how they do.
Rides that make you an active participant (i.e. storyline that puts you into the ride as opposed to passively experiencing it):

AK
  • Flight of Passage (You're being scanned to be paired with an Avatar to ride an Ikron)
  • DINOSAUR (Bring back the dino)
  • Everest (Supposed to be a nice ride in the Himalayas. But that pesky yeti ripped up the track.)
Epcot
  • GOTG (Being sent to stop the alien baddie.)
  • FEA? (Added because you thought so. Not sure)
  • Rat (Following along with Remy and his sightlines.)
  • Mission: Space (Crew must do things to get to Mars or orbit Earth)
  • Soarin (We're enjoying a flight around the world)
HS
  • ROTS (Rebel spies sent on a mission)
  • MF:SR (Hondo sends us in MF to get smuggled goods)
  • ST (Get the rebel spy to final destination)
  • ToT (Will we experience the same fate as the family who disappeared those many years ago?)
  • MMRR (We're on a casual ride with Goofy or so we think and it becomes a Runaway!)
  • TSMM (Hi, Pals! Play these games with us!)
MK
  • HM ("Foolish mortals" are given a tour, right?)
  • Tron ("There are winners and losers. Who. Are. You?")

mickEblu

Rides that make you an active participant (i.e. storyline that puts you into the ride as opposed to passively experiencing it):

AK
  • Flight of Passage (You're being scanned to be paired with an Avatar to ride an Ikron)
  • DINOSAUR (Bring back the dino)
  • Everest (Supposed to be a nice ride in the Himalayas. But that pesky yeti ripped up the track.)
Epcot
  • GOTG (Being sent to stop the alien baddie.)
  • FEA? (Added because you thought so. Not sure)
  • Rat (Following along with Remy and his sightlines.)
  • Mission: Space (Crew must do things to get to Mars or orbit Earth)
  • Soarin (We're enjoying a flight around the world)
HS
  • ROTS (Rebel spies sent on a mission)
  • MF:SR (Hondo sends us in MF to get smuggled goods)
  • ST (Get the rebel spy to final destination)
  • ToT (Will we experience the same fate as the family who disappeared those many years ago?)
  • MMRR (We're on a casual ride with Goofy or so we think and it becomes a Runaway!)
  • TSMM (Hi, Pals! Play these games with us!)
MK
  • HM ("Foolish mortals" are given a tour, right?)
  • Tron ("There are winners and losers. Who. Are. You?")

and this list somehow contradicts what I said?

JohnD

and this list somehow contradicts what I said?
Did I say anything about contradicting? I'm pointing out there are many rides that already do that. I don't claim to know whether we're made a part of the story or not in Tiana. I guess so if the point is to round up critters. Is it "juvenile" as you seem to think? Well, that's your opinion.

As to "Furthermore, I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced being a recruit or active part of the story with Disney animated IP", I already cited Rat and TS. DINOSAUR is based on animated IP. Then there's the Mickey shorts for MMRR. So you would be mistaken.

DavidDL

Even smaller attractions like Walt's original "Snow White and Her Adventures" were designed by Imagineers to feel like Guests were taking on the role of Snow White (explaining why she was not originally featured in it). Turning Guests into a "main character" or active participant of an attraction is something that has been happening since Disneyland opened in 1955.

Obviously an attraction doesn't need to in order to be successful. -and how successful those attractions that do attempt it will feel depends on the person, I suppose. I don't think twice about my participation in attractions like Smuggler's Run or Rise of the Resistance because I think they did a good job of making it feel natural. Whereas something like the "Celebrate! A Street Party" "parade" felt overly cringe-y and lame made me wish I had just been a nameless passerby watching a regular parade float go by.

JohnD

Even smaller attractions like Walt's original "Snow White and Her Adventures" were designed by Imagineers to feel like Guests were taking on the role of Snow White (explaining why she was not originally featured in it). Turning Guests into a "main character" or active participant of an attraction is something that has been happening since Disneyland opened in 1955.

Obviously an attraction doesn't need to in order to be successful. -and how successful those attractions that do attempt it will feel depends on the person, I suppose. I don't think twice about my participation in attractions like Smuggler's Run or Rise of the Resistance because I think they did a good job of making it feel natural. Whereas something like the "Celebrate! A Street Party" "parade" felt overly cringe-y and lame made me wish I had just been a nameless passerby watching a regular parade float go by.
Right. So I post a list of rides that put the guest into the ride. An earlier poster berated me when he is the one who brought it up. I guess to point out that it's bad or something. I don't know. Speaking of confused. :confused:

Disney Analyst

It's interesting, as that is definitely how that ride started out, and they quickly discovered that was not working for guests, and added Snow White to the ride.

Some attractions just work, where the guest is the participant, fully immersed, and engaged. Others work better where the guest is an observer, seeing the story play out around them.

The best thing is, there are no rules, and if something isn't working, they usually eventually go back in and adjust, although could be decades.

DavidDL

It's interesting, as that is definitely how that ride started out, and they quickly discovered that was not working for guests, and added Snow White to the ride.

Some attractions just work, where the guest is the participant, fully immersed, and engaged. Others work better where the guest is an observer, seeing the story play out around them.

The best thing is, there are no rules, and if something isn't working, they usually eventually go back in and adjust, although could be decades.

Absolutely. In the case of Tiana's, I am excited for it and will wait to experience it for myself before passing judgement. Could it have some sort of forced participation storyline that feels overly cringe-y and makes me wish I was removed from the events of the attraction? Maybe.

Or maybe it'll feel natural like so many other attractions before it. Something I've learned over the years is that there can be a huge difference between explanation and execution. Maybe something sounds lame until you see it for yourself and realize the execution just works. It could always go the other way around but I have my fingers crossed for this one.

ToTBellHop

Absolutely. In the case of Tiana's, I am excited for it and will wait to experience it for myself before passing judgement. Could it have some sort of forced participation storyline that feels overly cringe-y and makes me wish I was removed from the events of the attraction? Maybe.

Or maybe it'll feel natural like so many other attractions before it. Something I've learned over the years is that there can be a huge difference between explanation and execution. Maybe something sounds lame until you see it for yourself and realize the execution just works. It could always go the other way around but I have my fingers crossed for this one.
I’m sure it’ll have some eyeroll moments but so do many of their best rides. The ride system is my favorite log flume and that isn’t going away.

Incomudro

Exactly.
There's no hard and fast rules.
The approach works, or it doesn't.
I found it to be overused at Uni, where it seemed every ride ended with the cast of the ride cheering for the riders at the end, or a "You did it!"
But I'll wait to see if it feels heavy handed in Tiana's.

Last edited:

mesaverdes

As much as I’m a fan of the idea of hearing “Are you ready” as you’re lifted to the drop, I don’t really think an original movie book report would’ve worked. Just think about how long and spacious Splash is! There’s no way we could get a book report version without massive stretches of lackluster scenes. I wanted it at first, don’t get me wrong, but it just doesn’t seem very plausible. If anything, by adding the critters, we get more animatronic animals than the movie retelling would get. We also get a story that fits the track and theme more than possible with a book report. While I love the brilliance of Baxter, it doesn’t harm anything about the ride to have a more euphoric take on the drop. If anything, it might make it more accessible because, and don’t get me wrong I grew to enjoy it, but the early years of my life with the attraction were spent sobbing due to the dread of that drop. I don’t speak for everyone of course, just sharing my experience. I’m excited for what Tiana will bring and I’m grateful it’ll be a new story!

Incomudro

“Tiana sure knows how to make a party special” is that what she is going to say at the top of the drop?

Still trying to figure out what the story reason is we are dropping. Unless it’s Tiana’s plan to kill all her party guests by sending them down a drop.

In all seriousness though, very impressive AA.
Dropping into the party?

DavidDL

Obviously I don't know how the final drop is going to play into storyline with Mama Odie but if I had to venture a guess that makes some sense..

It's possible on our trip, we get a little too deep/lost in the bayou (second flume drop/former laughin' place) and realize we need Mama Odie's help to get to get both to the celebration and on time. Obviously we want that to be done the easy way but Mama Odie's entire shtick is not giving characters what they want. Rather, she's going to give us what we need. -and what we need is the shortest possible distance between point A and B.

There's probably a message within all that about how doing things the way that's needed requires a level of bravery. As humans, we often want things done the easy way or to take the easy way out. But doing that doesn't always accomplish our goals. Hopefully, Mama Odie's segment has the underlying message that sometimes in order to get what we want, we have to be brave and dig a little deeper. -and if we can do that, there will be blue skies and sunshine ahead of us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom