News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

BuzzedPotatoHead89

If they have 16 months or less and are documenting things to remove, keep or destroy. I would not expect a drastic change.
Do we know the true timeframe? 16 months is more of a loose timeline I think. Like Tron they may spread this out over multiple fiscal quarters in the true spirit of Disney Magic. “Late 2024” could become Spring 2025 easily if it’s more prudent to do so, particularly with EU opening in that timeframe.

There will probably be minimal work done, since most of the heavy lifting in regards to that particular aspect of the story will be handled by Tiana's new song, "You Are the Salt Mine".
”A Spoonful of (Salt) helps the (Rabbit Stew) go down”

celluloid

Do we know the true timeframe? 16 months is more of a loose timeline I think. Like Tron they may spread this out over multiple fiscal quarters in the true spirit of Disney Magic. “Late 2024” could become Spring 2025 easily if it’s more prudent to do so, particularly with EU opening in that timeframe.

”A Spoonful of (Salt) helps the (Rabbit Stew) go down”

They certainly could, but we are going by what they currently want to promote, and they rarely give a season timeframe unless they hit close. They even usually wait for projects the scope of Moana at EPCOT before giving such a range. So they must be confident this retheme will be fast.

I think their don't want it too close to EU. They don't want their potential Razzle Dazzle to be a thud when it does not have to.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

They certainly could, but going by what they currently feel, and they rarely give a season timeframe unless they hit close. They even usually wait for projects the scope of Moana at EPCOT before giving such a range. So they must be confident this retheme will be fast.
I recall they were forced to with this one because Anika Nani Rose announced it (“2024”) on Kelly and Ryan, no?

I’m not sure if a year was ever given but if I recall Tron had an anticipated opening for the 50th. Same with the Toy Story BBQ at DHS, Rat, MMRR etc. if I recall there were several timelines that slipped. I think as long as SM is closed they can claim they’re “working on it” and satisfying their obligation on this one regardless.

celluloid

I recall they were forced to with this one because Anika Nani Rose announced it (“2024”) on Kelly and Ryan, no?

I’m not sure if a year was ever given but if I recall Tron had an anticipated opening for the 50th. Same with the Toy Story BBQ at DHS, Rat, MMRR etc. if I recall there were several timelines that slipped. I think as long as SM is closed they can claim they’re “working on it” and satisfying their obligation on this one regardless.

Her flub did not make them forced to stick to that. They could have easily have adjusted that and o one would care.

Tron and MMRR were a 2020 situation.

They always have wanted to have this occur when the show has premiered and is being talked about. That is the point of their synergy.

They certainly could as they do and have, but they are confident enough to give the year and season, when the general era of the show it is based on will be out, than that is what they want.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm still curious to learn if the salt mine will even be a significant presence in the interior scenes. As much as they talk it up in the marketing, its presence in both the art and models seems close to nonexistent. Even the exterior of the mountain is still largely themed to a bayou. And while there are some scattered "farm" related props, nothing looks like a salt mine. Makes me wonder if it's just going to be some minor references in the queue.

Agreed. That is why I am saying I can't get my hopes up that this pitch for a single character will range of motion will be typical or in the final product. And since the project is changing faster than they can share much solid on it, and given Disney's reputation such recently, it is best to not get hopes too up for that sort of detailed info to be in the final project.
It is abundantly safe to assume the otter at least will be in the ride as a proper AA. It has been in both of the pieces of art for the ride as well as the detailed D23 diagram. I also know that they've already constructed multiple other minor critter AA's as well.

The project isn't changing fast at present. They've have had a final plan and budget figured out for quite a while now. And unlike with other projects, there's good reason to hope that the budget won't be cut. The executive leadership quickly came to the realization early in development that if they mess this up, there will be hell to pay. If it fails to deliver though, IMO it won't be a lack of budget (and probably not even a lack of decent animatronics), but because the creative team couldn't create quality scenes or a good story/music. Like I said, whatever other failures the ride may have, I actually don't think the animatronics will end up being one of them for a change.

I was/am skeptical that they'll make the target. But that's admittedly purely a feelings over facts thing on my part. Not that there isn't reason to doubt it'll be done by then given their track record. But unlike a lot of the other projects they announce with obvious and intentionally BS dates attached, Disney IS legitimately confident that they can get it done by late 2024. The ride track isn't being altered (even Frozen received a minor alteration to its track near the start that necessitated some significant concrete work). They haven't been dragging their feet either. Significant progress has been made on construction of props and animatronics long before Splash closed.

A lot of the initial work though probably won't look like they're making significant progress because the ride needs to undergo a lot of maintenance and prep to get it ready for the new content. Infrastructure work essentially. So I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a ton of obvious changes to the mountain for perhaps the first 6-12 months. That's just my assumption though.

Last edited:

celluloid

A lot of the initial work though probably won't look like they're making significant progress because the ride needs to undergo a lot of maintenance and prep to get it ready for the new content. Infrastructure work essentially. So I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a ton of obvious changes to the mountain for perhaps the first 6-12 months. That's just my assumption though.
I don't know if that is a good assumption. I think the water tower will be mostly erected by Summer, not a lot to do after that exterior wise and they want the hype train on this going, which the outside is the main way to do that as day guests and vloggers see it.

Disstevefan1

That has been my theory since the announcement that a salt dome will be part of the ride. Especially if the budget isn't super high why waste money destroying and then rebuilding a cave set.
We can be sure it will be low budget in WDW, not like the high quality work done in DLR like for example DLR’s version MRR that just opened.

No need so spend money in WDW. Folks show up no matter the offerings. 😉

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Tongue in cheek comments aside on my part herein is where my skepticism lies. Particularly on the DL side we’re talking about aging infrastructure that may or may not have been properly inspected/pressure tested to handle the new show scenes and elements. But at WDW too I imagine significant wear and tear to the ride system which would be prudent to fully upgrade once designers get “under the hood of the car”.

On the west coast combine this with CA’s strict OSHA requirements which could/would be triggered if any building changes are required during the building inspection and concrete removal beyond simple cosmetic work (replacing show scenes).

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I don't know if that is a good assumption. I think the water tower will be mostly erected by Summer, not a lot to do after that exterior wise and they want the hype train on this going, which the outside is the main way to do that as day guests and vloggers see it.
It depends on two things. The first is whether the mountain exterior requires any significant work first before installing the new scenery. And the second is whether they want to prematurely knock out the exterior scenery early on, but let it sit idly for nearly 2 years in Florida's harsh climate conditions. Allowing all of that new work to deteriorate well before it opens to the public.

Tongue in cheek comments aside herein is where my skepticism lies. Particularly on the DL side we’re talking about aging infrastructure that may or may not have been properly inspected/pressure tested to handle the new show scenes and elements. But at WDW too I imagine significant wear and tear to the ride system which would be prudent to fully upgrade once designers get “under the hood of the car”.

On the west coast combine this with CA’s strict OSHA requirements which could/would be triggered if any building changes are required during the building inspection and concrete removal beyond simple cosmetic work (replacing show scenes).
I can't speak for California. But I will say that WDW's ride has received significant repair work multiple times throughout its life. Both to scenery as well as mechanical work hidden from guests. Even within this past decade.

That isn't to say they won't find any unexpected issues with the ride either once they start to "dig a little deeper" (couldn't help myself). But I do think the engineers are probably more aware of what goes on under the hood than a casual observer might assume they can see. I also figure they've prepped and padded the budget/timeline at least somewhat for potential surprises they might come across.

Course I guess there's always the possibility they find something REALLY bad like a compromised non repairable foundation, sinkhole or some other serious fault with the structural integrity. But given how hollow the ride itself actually is, they'd probably have already found something like that with routine inspections.

MerlinTheGoat

When was the last time the mountain itself was rehabbed aside from being painted?
They've doubtless done mechanical repairs that are hidden to guests quite a few times over just the past 5 or so years. But the last truly major rehab the ride received was in 2013. I've been somewhat of a broken record in stating that the ride was in the worst shape it's ever been in for several years prior to that too. Immensely worse than it currently is/was this past month.

That rehab also took less than three months, and they managed to get it nigh spot on opening day condition again (the only things they missed were a few of the dead plants just before the Slippin Falls area, and one of the Mr Bluebird figures which was fixed within a few days IIRC). It was great to see the ride shine once again, even if that condition only lasted a few years before letting it fall back into disrepair...

Last edited:

aladdin2007

I suspect the structure of the boat will remain, but that it will be redecorated. The name will also likely change to something other than Zip-A-Dee-Lady.
I would love to see it remain,,,but for some reason I feel like that whole space will be gutted, with a giant flat wall background with minimal projections (like little mermaids ending)....wow lets hope not.

MerlinTheGoat

While I don't have actual information on the riverboat, logically speaking I cannot imagine them scrapping it. There's simply no reason whatsoever and it makes zero sense. It fits the IP perfectly. Even moreso than it did Song of the South in fact, as I don't recall there even being a riverboat in that movie. PATF has a ton of scenes with a riverboat either in the background or even as a location the characters visit. Louis' dream is centered around playing in a jazz band on one. There's a lengthy romance scene with Tiana and Naveen on board one. And Tiana's restaurant is literally themed to look like one.

Of all the things to be rationally concerned about regarding this ride, I don't believe the riverboat getting scrapped is one of them.

DisneyDebRob

While I don't have actual information on the riverboat, logically speaking I cannot imagine them scrapping it. There's simply no reason whatsoever and it makes zero sense. It fits the IP perfectly. Even moreso than it did Song of the South in fact, as I don't recall there even being a riverboat in that movie. PATF has a ton of scenes with a riverboat either in the background or even as a location the characters visit. Louis' dream is centered around playing in a jazz band on one. There's a lengthy romance scene with Tiana and Naveen on board one. And Tiana's restaurant is literally themed to look like one.

Of all the things to be rationally concerned about regarding this ride, I don't believe the riverboat getting scrapped is one of them.
Agree.
There is no riverboat in the movie. Watched it again yesterday in fact. It fits Tiana more than Song of the South 100%. There is no way they get rid of it.

celluloid

We gotta remember that great animatronics won't automatically make for a great ride. Look at Frozen Ever After or Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride - even if the animatronics are good, there's still a chance of the storyline being awful.

This is true, but we should certainly expect both as the ride dynamic and major thematic structure is already done once they refurbish course and upgrade software.

They are in a position where all they have to do is retheme a ride for the next year and a half to two years that they have worked on for over five years behind the scenes. All in the most visited theme park in the world that has not had a ground up build ride open since a decade from this one that is not a ground up build.

If they screw this up, it will be bad on Imagineering and Disney all around in terms of Themed Entertainment Industry standard that they once set.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
tianas-bayou-adventure-construction-walls-6921.jpg
tianas-bayou-adventure-construction-walls-6920.jpg

From the site we don't say, new "Keep Dry" and "Louisiana" theme has been added to the construction walls

EPCOT-O.G.

I'm still curious to learn if the salt mine will even be a significant presence in the interior scenes. As much as they talk it up in the marketing, its presence in both the art and models seems close to nonexistent. Even the exterior of the mountain is still largely themed to a bayou. And while there are some scattered "farm" related props, nothing looks like a salt mine. Makes me wonder if it's just going to be some minor references in the queue.

It is abundantly safe to assume the otter at least will be in the ride as a proper AA. It has been in both of the pieces of art for the ride as well as the detailed D23 diagram. I also know that they've already constructed multiple other minor critter AA's as well.

The project isn't changing fast at present. They've have had a final plan and budget figured out for quite a while now. And unlike with other projects, there's good reason to hope that the budget won't be cut. The executive leadership quickly came to the realization early in development that if they mess this up, there will be hell to pay. If it fails to deliver though, IMO it won't be a lack of budget (and probably not even a lack of decent animatronics), but because the creative team couldn't create quality scenes or a good story/music. Like I said, whatever other failures the ride may have, I actually don't think the animatronics will end up being one of them for a change.

I was/am skeptical that they'll make the target. But that's admittedly purely a feelings over facts thing on my part. Not that there isn't reason to doubt it'll be done by then given their track record. But unlike a lot of the other projects they announce with obvious and intentionally BS dates attached, Disney IS legitimately confident that they can get it done by late 2024. The ride track isn't being altered (even Frozen received a minor alteration to its track near the start that necessitated some significant concrete work). They haven't been dragging their feet either. Significant progress has been made on construction of props and animatronics long before Splash closed.

The salt mine is the entire mountain/attraction, based on the OC Register’s sources at the time of D23:

“According to the backstory, the employee-owned food cooperative is housed inside the aging salt mine within the former Splash Mountain with growers planting crops along the waterway that flows around the famed mountain peak.

Tiana’s Bayou Adventure riders will ascend the lift hill through a mill house built into the side of the mountain powered by water troughs feeding a spinning water wheel.

Musical critters seen in the show scenes of the revamped log flume attraction will include an otter audio-animatronic playing a fiddle made from a tin can, tree bark and fishing line.

Magical lighting effects triggered by the film’s voodoo priestess Mama Odie will fill the hilltop cavern with glowing colors just before riders descend the log ride’s dramatic drop.”

Enjoy the salt mine experience!

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
They've doubtless done mechanical repairs that are hidden to guests quite a few times over just the past 5 or so years. But the last truly major rehab the ride received was in 2013. I've been somewhat of a broken record in stating that the ride was in the worst shape it's ever been in for several years prior to that too. Immensely worse than it currently is/was this past month.
I think 2012 and 2023 were tied for how bad the show was, but 2012 did have the threat of more pieces of the mountain falling off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom