News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Vinnie Mac

Maybe it's just me, but I find it amazing that concept art which supposedly depicts a specific scene in the attraction is as vague and unimagined as this piece is. They’re replacing SPLASH MOUNTAIN. This ride needs to be a massive home run, yet there’s been literally nothing to suggest it will be. I'm really surprised at the reassurance people feel by this update.
Sounds to me like you just want to complain. For the people that at least want to give this ride a chance this is a GREAT update. If Tony Baxter is confident in this ride... Well then I am too!

comics101

It doesn’t look vague to me: it’s Mama Odie about to work her magic (by my guess just before the plummet). I would have felt reassured by this update regardless, but
I’m especially relieved after previous announcements that highlighted the backstory only.

I mean, maybe we have different expectations. It seems to me every time Disney releases "concept art" of this attraction, it's little more than PatF clip art pasted onto a bland, cartoon swamp with poorly photoshopped guests pointing at characters. When an attraction as classic as Splash Mountain is replaced, it might be a good idea to try and assuage the concerns of fans who lament the loss of a ride which implemented "old school" Disney magic...

comics101

I'm more reassured by what isn't said, than what was.

They're not leading with the salt mine/missing ingredient backstory

They're not hyping the cross-synergy connection with the Disney+ show

They're just stating the basics that songs and characters from the original movie will be featured, along with lots of AAs.

It's what they should have been focusing on in their previous press statements.

This is all very fair and makes a lot of sense. Part of me wonders if the ride is being reworked (again) in an attempt to deemphasize the co-op Salt Mine stuff and turn it into more of a "book report" ride that's only a quasi-sequel to the original movie.

Animaniac93-98

This is all very fair and makes a lot of sense. Part of me wonders if the ride is being reworked (again) in an attempt to deemphasize the co-op Salt Mine stuff and turn it into more of a "book report" ride that's only a quasi-sequel to the original movie.

It may have always been that, but for one reason or another, they decided to initially hype the co-op backstory.

Tha Realest

Everything else about this project has been wildly reactive and overreactive, so why not

aladdin2007

Sounds to me like you just want to complain. For the people that at least want to give this ride a chance this is a GREAT update. If Tony Baxter is confident in this ride... Well then I am too!
he was also confident in Frozen and that could/should have turned out better in some areas.

Kirby86

Eh I'm not for the retheming but am cautiously optimistic thay this could be good. However Tony Baxter saying he's confident in this ride during a Disney press release isn't going to shift anyone's views. He was paid by the company at some point during this rides planning. He's not going to say it's awful and Disney should be ashamed.

LittleBuford

When an attraction as classic as Splash Mountain is replaced, it might be a good idea to try and assuage the concerns of fans who lament the loss of a ride which implemented "old school" Disney magic...
In what specific ways do you think they might have done this?

Speaking for myself, the largest concerns I had were narrative (“Is there going to be room for fun in this story?”) and technological (“Are we going to lose all the scenery and animatronics?”). I feel reassured on both fronts.

JoeCamel

They didn't mention where the beignet shop will be located...no need to pipe in the scent unless there will be a purchase point after the ride... Perhaps it's time for Pecos Bill to ride off into the sunset and Tiana's Palace to move in...adding some additional New Orleans inspired offerings and a few Beignet kiosks...
They could farm crawdads in the RoA.......

comics101

In what specific ways do you think they might have done this?

Speaking for myself, the largest concerns I had were narrative (“Is there going to be room for fun in this story?”) and technological (“Are we going to lose all the scenery and animatronics?”). I feel reassured on both fronts.

I think releasing some actual, quality artwork the way the company used to do would have been a very good start. I'm not suggesting the release of scene-by-scene renderings or anything that extensive, but as @EPCOT-O.G. mentioned, everything about this project seems incredibly reactive. It'd be nice to know that someone involved with the project has some actual vision and isn't just a social media hack tasked with posting pictures of Imagineers eating gumbo at Dooky Chase's.

FettFan

They didn't mention where the beignet shop will be located...no need to pipe in the scent unless there will be a purchase point after the ride... Perhaps it's time for Pecos Bill to ride off into the sunset and Tiana's Palace to move in...adding some additional New Orleans inspired offerings and a few Beignet kiosks...

My guess is that they’ll build the beignet stall under the Frontierland railroad, around where the Laughin’ Place playground was.

It’s a wide area for foot traffic, plus you can get people as they exit both Splash and the WDWRR.

Granted that’s what I as a mostly rational theme park visitor would think….lord only knows what nonsense the suits in their rich Corinthian leather Executive chairs would dream up.

FettFan

This argument again…if they’re not sold in the shops, they won’t sell ANY…have you checked out prices of Splash items on eBay recently?

To be fair, that’s supply and demand in action. As soon as it was announced Splash was closing, out came the e-scalpers to hoard as much as they could.

Disney cut down their SM merch to whatever being made for Tokyo; they pinched the supply, but demand spiked thanks to SM fans scrambling for the last bits, so prices naturally reacted.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
From BlogMickey: The stump on Florida's version is completely cut down
Capture.PNG
Stump 2.PNG
Stump 3.PNG

FettFan

It doesn’t look vague to me: it’s Mama Odie about to work her magic (by my guess just before the plummet). I would have felt reassured by this update regardless, but
I’m especially relieved after previous announcements that highlighted the backstory only.

Mama Odie is turning into Elsa. Welcoming visitors just so she can try to kill them by pushing them over the falls.

From BlogMickey: The stump on Florida's version is completely cut down

Ouch. That hurts.

yensidtlaw1969

I think releasing some actual, quality artwork the way the company used to do would have been a very good start. I'm not suggesting the release of scene-by-scene renderings or anything that extensive, but as @EPCOT-O.G. mentioned, everything about this project seems incredibly reactive. It'd be nice to know that someone involved with the project has some actual vision and isn't just a social media hack tasked with posting pictures of Imagineers eating gumbo at Dooky Chase's.

You mean like this actual, quality artwork that was released the day the retheme was announced?:

1681333933280.png

Or this, released in 2021?

1681334495331.png

Or like these, which have been released over the last handful of months?:

1681333955967.png

1681334034192.png

1681333983380.png

Not to mention the different models of the exterior and sketches of the critters and characters that'll be found inside.

Let's not pretend they're being stingy and secretive. We've already seen more concept art for Tiana's than we ever got for some of the new attrations at WDW in the past decade.

Personally, even just seeing these pictures all in one place is exciting. This doesn't look like a dollar store redo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom