News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Professortango1

I find this quite a confusing point to make... because the VAST VAST majority of riders had no clue about the characters in Splash... Most people under 40 probably never heard of brer rabbit before getting on the ride.. and certainly didn't know the tales the ride takes an abbreviated version of.

The story isn't setup.. or even laid out.. it's just more the story relies on constructs and notions that people can pickup on without explicit exposition.

They could just digest the very simple construct of a rabbit.. being a smaller less aggressive animal... being pursued by a fox and a bear... animals known to be predators.. and there are caricatures of those prenotions that play out... the rabbit is setup to be witty and outsmart the dumb clumsy bear and stubborn fox.

The characters presented traits and prototypes people are familiar with.. so it's not difficult for them to pick up and follow them with a few rides.. even if they don't know the actual source material and don't need a real setup.

The ride never sets up why the fox wants to catch brer rabbit... or that the rabbit keeps outwitting the fox and bear.. you just see the outcomes usually of these adventures.. except when it comes to the final outtwitting of the briar patch.

I mean.. the very notion the story ISN'T very explicit is the mask the ride was able to use to it's advantage to avoid scrutiny for so long. The fact the basic constructs of the critters and their conflict can be illustrated and be cute... without getting into their larger batch of stories.

The challenge with Tiana's story is... it's so trivial it's what you tell a baby to excite a smile... "lets goto the party!" over and over while smiling and clapping your hands.
Let's not forget that Disney also did their part in the 90's to help folks become accustomed to the characters. I grew up not knowing the film due to the ban, but I LOVED the characters because Disney put out a wide variety of books telling many of the Joel Chandler Harris stories as well as integrating the animated segments into the Disney Sing A-Long VHS series. Splash introduced me to the characters and Disney's ancillary products opened my eyes to the stories and literature they derive from.

I think late 80's Disney knew they had to do some leg work because these stories were not known to new generations and likely wouldn't be. Current Disney got lazy and thought "everyone knows PatF and can watch it on Disney+, so let's just give them something cute to do rather than give park guests a reason to be endeared to them and their adventure.

_caleb

Because I answered a direct question asking for basically a citation? So I provided it.

No, because I know the information is easily missed, or because someone may have simply not known the information is there. It's not a topic of doubting someone's opinion - it's an example of citing material to support your assertion. These two posts are nothing alike.. so not sure why you are trying to connect them.

So take it up with them? Why are you addressing people here and their actions based on people not even here?
I'm trying to engage in discussion about the general reaction to TBA, and how the POV may have affected that. I'm not "addressing people here and their actions" beyond just saying I've noticed some trends. You take my observations as an attack or something?
I don't address you based on what someone completely unrelated to our conversation is doing - have the same courtesy to everyone else here.
I try to be courteous. I'm genuinely confused by this exchange. My comments have been based on what I've seen in this thread (I've read every post!), and I'm just trying to share my thoughts on the impact that video had (and continues to have).
We don't speak for those people... nor do they speak for us... so stop using your interaction with them to assume what someone unrelated is doing. That's not 'giving credit' - that's the opposite... assuming because you saw something over there, everyone over here must be the same.
Huh? Of course others don't speak for you... again, I've seen the pattern of response here and I've just been trying to talk about the ripple effect out into the general public.

I'm really confused by your replies to me here. Maybe someone else can help explain to me what I'm missing, or what I said that seems to have frustrated you.

Or, I'm happy to just let it go.

Centauri Space Station

The ride absolutely set up the characters. First lift hill, Brer Frog is telling stories about Brer Rabbit, saying he’s looking for adventure, but Brer Frog thinks he’s heading for trouble.

Second lift hill, you’re introduce to the world of the critters. Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear’s houses are labeled. Brer Rabbit is singing the song energetically. Brer Bear is snoozing. Paints the type of characters they are before you even see it.

The first scene with the Brers, you have Fox scheming about trying to catch the rabbit. He has a book labelled “How to catch a Rabbit” right next to him. Why is he trying to catch a rabbit? He’s a fox. You aren’t going to ask why a cat would chase a mouse.

Yeah it’s simple and relies on preconceived constructs, but there still is setup. It’s told through dialogue, visual cues, musical lyrics, scene composition, etc. I had no pre-existing knowledge of the characters and stories, yet I still got the gist of it and fell in love with the attraction because of its theming on my first ride. And here’s the kicker… I COULDN’T EVEN SEE PROPERLY 😂. I rode without my glasses. Most things were blurry.
I’ll be honest i barely could understand half the dialogue on splash. The most i knew was that the bear and fox were trying to kill the rabbit.

Sectorkeeper71

I’ll be honest i barely could understand half the dialogue on splash. The most i knew was that the bear and fox were trying to kill the rabbit.
I just learned from this forum a couple weeks ago that the point of the drop was brer rabbit escaping from brer fox. I always just assumed Fox just chucked him off out of spite and he somehow lived.

I do think part of both of our issues is the speakers started going over the years so it came out a bit of a garbled mess

Dranth

I just learned from this forum a couple weeks ago that the point of the drop was brer rabbit escaping from brer fox. I always just assumed Fox just chucked him off out of spite and he somehow lived.

I do think part of both of our issues is the speakers started going over the years so it came out a bit of a garbled mess
I’ve been riding it since day one and it isn’t just the speakers.

Brer Oswald

I understood it just fine when I was 11. To make it even more clear, the drop led into the briar patch. His home at the start was the briar patch.

gerarar

Premium Member
Recap on the first operational day for the public (technically APs..):
  • 7am drop lasted for a couple hours, so everyone/APs who had a MK park reservation would and should of been able to get a BG.
  • But due to the delayed opening and extended downtime in the morning, the afternoon 1pm drop allotment was most likely reduced (in combination with APs with a non-MK reservation), hence it only lasting for about 2 secs.

Now for the downtimes:
  • It failed to open with the official park open at 9am. Took until 11:40am, ~3 hours downtime.
  • Then at around 1:30pm, it closed again for another ~3 hours.
  • Around 5pm and 6pm, it also broke down for about an hour.

So in total, 427 mins, or ~7 hours 7 mins of total downtime today.
Magic Kingdom was open for 13 hours today, so it was closed for ~54% of the day.

Basically, not good. Hopefully things improve in the next week during these previews before it officially opens to the general public.

Day 1 Stats Recap in TBA VQ thread:
Final Day 1 Stats (6/13) [Day 1/6 AP previews]:
7am: 7341.4 secs, or ~2 hours 2 mins
1pm: 2.5 secs*
*the morning 7am drop lasted longer than afternoon 1pm drop

BG 100 is the last BG called for the day at 8pm.

Notable stoppages:
9:00 - 11:40am
1:28 - 4:15pm
5:04 - 6:15pm
6:21 - 6:50pm

Average pace: 5mins/BG until 5pm, 2mins/BG from 7pm to close.

VQ Drop Mean/Average:
7am: 2hr 2m -> 2hr 2m (+0)
1pm: 2.5s -> 2.5s (+0)

That does it for Day 1 of Tiana's Bayou Adventure!
View attachment 791611

Professortango1

I understood it just fine when I was 11. To make it even more clear, the drop led into the briar patch. His home at the start was the briar patch.
I understood it when I was much younger. Brer Rabbit says not to throw him that briar patch. Fox says "that's just where you're going!" and we are tossed into the briar patch. Then at the end the new refrains sing about Brer Rabbit tricking them and he signs "its where I'm born and bred in, the Briar Patch is where I'm heading!"

There was plenty of information to pick up on.

Sneaky

With all this negative publicity, do you think Tiana gets a 2.0 update 2-3 years down the line? I personally don’t think so unless it somehow doesn’t make money for merch or lighting lane. That’s the reason why harmonious even went, didn’t make enough money. I feel like wdi must have at least taken note, but I don’t think it’ll effect it that much. But what do you think?

Ghost93

With all this negative publicity, do you think Tiana gets a 2.0 update 2-3 years down the line? I personally don’t think so unless it somehow doesn’t make money for merch or lighting lane. That’s the reason why harmonious even went, didn’t make enough money. I feel like wdi must have at least taken note, but I don’t think it’ll effect it that much. But what do you think?
I think a decade from now we could get a Halloween overlay with Dr. Facillier to shake up interest. Since his shadow demons would mainly involve projection mapping it shouldn't be TOO expensive.

aladdin2007

I think Disneyland could see changes or adjustments possibly yet we will be stuck with the inferior.

Professortango1

I can't recall how long it was before Disneyland updated the previous attraction. I know the houses and broken suspension bridge weren't there for the ride's original iteration but were added several years later. I even have a memory of them adding a small Romani style cart where Brer Rabbit's house would then be added and Louis under the wheelbarrow would be today, but that might be a false memory.

The insides saw some slight upgrades and adjustments at those times. I would ride the ride religiously as a kid as it was my favourite attraction and I would notice the updates and changes they made throughout my childhood. I even bumped into Eisner one day near Videopolis and I told him that he needed to fix the ending because Brer Fox's tail was continuously not in Brer Gator's mouth.

Basil of Baker Street

Despite all the heated talk in the last two pages that will likely be gone soon, I just want to say how incredibly funny it is that Basil said he was making a co-op joke and how close it sounded to suggesting Scott was on the take was accidental and people still keep responding to it and telling him he was wrong. 🤣
Bottom line is I obviously need better material..🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom