News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

TomboyJanet

Did you watch the Splash ridethrough w/Imagineer commentary that @EagleScout610 posted above?

I think it's so interesting to hear what factored into the decisions they made along the way--the limitations of space, the cost management, and the storytelling intent. I noticed he mentions:
  • Using dark and "dead" space to create story beats
  • Minimally-themed areas to reduce costs
  • Visual tricks to draw the guests' eye toward certain scenes (and away from other things)
  • Flat scenes due to tight spaces
  • Lighting
I believe the Imagineers put just as much thought into TBA as they did into the WDW version of Splash. I know some are not satisfied with the results, but I find it interesting to hear their rationale for every element in the attraction.

Did you see @Bill Cipher 's lovely analysis of the music/jazz theme of TBA?

I think the use of the music is a product of their research and visits to NOLA.

I also see that inspiration in the foliage, the color palette, and the food references, but in my opinion, they could have gotten that inspiration by visiting the Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter resorts. I think those capture a Disneyfied Bayou/New Orleans really well.
Idk about that. Like I said I feel like the aesthetic to this ride is much less adventure in new Orleans than it is "got off at the wrong exit on the Jersey Turnpike late at night and lost in Jersey swamplands full of mosquitoes". Vibes. I'm thoroughly uninterested in fake plant varieties or food smells that are just sound and fury (or smell in this case) signifying nothing. And the screens are both low quality and quick looping, from what I'm seeing and frankly if I wanted to stare at a screen id take my phone out and play the same clip and wow I just imagineered all in my own!

I go to Disney to see the impossible become possible before my eyes and to be in adventures with things I can't do on my own. I can attend a party with food. I don't need a log flume to do it

Cliff

What is to say that TBA isn’t going to be just as popular? It isn’t open yet. The majority of people who’re going to get on it aren’t watching a YouTube POV just as they haven’r been following construction.

If it proves to be a flop with guests then I’ll be the first to admit it. But, and I’m genuinely asking, what are you all going to say if it does prove to be successful? What’s gonna be your argument then?
Regardless of how good or bad any attraction is, there will ALWAYS be a certain percentage of people that just seem to like it for whatever reason.....

Bocabear

The actual structure of the ride that didn't change has always been great.... That is a reason to like it... New inhabitants and storyline aside. It was always a good ride and will continue to be...
From what I see of the multiple videos...I guess I can say I think the outside queue looks better....with the radio and lights. and the front with all the greenery and swamp also look very nice.

shambolicdefending

I suspect Tiana's Bayou Aventure will be overcrowded for the next two years, but probably normalize by the time I can afford a Disney World vacation (probably like 10 years from now, lol)
In Anaheim, Mission Breakout returned to average ToT wait times within just a few weeks of it's reopening, and that project got much better word of mouth as a reskin than TBA is getting.

I doubt TBA has the draw to sustain higher-than-average waits for two years.

KDM31091

I have now watched the POVs a few times and I'm just not wowed. It's cute, the songs are somewhat catchy, but there's just no wow factor. It feels very phoned in. The storyline is very weak.

To all the people saying "but it looks amazing", it does look great. And I guess these days as long as it's visually appealing that's good enough for a lot of people. Reminds me of Navi River Journey. Beautiful, but lacking in storytelling or excitement.

Disney is (usually) about immersion and storytelling and I'm just not seeing the storytelling part much in recent attractions, just visually appealing but otherwise bland.

Ghost93

I can't believe that Disney put this quote on this joke of an attraction -

View attachment 789967

Imagineering should listen to their own quotes!!!
It's a quote from the movie (in the scene where Dr. Facilier is tempting Tiana) where Tiana recalls that her father never had what he wanted but had what he needed. She says "He had love. He never lost sight of what was really important, and neither will I!"

Since this entire ride is about love and community and friendship, I think the quote is quite fitting.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
I can't believe that Disney put this quote on this joke of an attraction -

View attachment 789967

Imagineering should listen to their own quotes!!!
They know what's important, at least to Bob-
D4oXP0QVUAA8MmC.jpg

Incomudro

I have now watched the POVs a few times and I'm just not wowed. It's cute, the songs are somewhat catchy, but there's just no wow factor. It feels very phoned in. The storyline is very weak.

To all the people saying "but it looks amazing", it does look great. And I guess these days as long as it's visually appealing that's good enough for a lot of people. Reminds me of Navi River Journey. Beautiful, but lacking in storytelling or excitement.

Disney is (usually) about immersion and storytelling and I'm just not seeing the storytelling part much in recent attractions, just visually appealing but otherwise bland.
Like most of today's movies.

TomboyJanet

When the POV started I was actually excited. The beginning scenes outside were pretty cute and had dancing plants and stuff, and as a Tomboy I do love Tiana being all explorery, but once they got into the show building and I saw bland home depot fake plants where the first fisherman Goose was I was like "Oh.....we're doing this aren't we...."

There was a lot of darkness which I thought was something everyone complained about in Dinosaur so......why is this still happening? There were some nice animatronics and the music was nice, the bayou song fits well with flickering lamps and stuff, but some of the AAs look like they've been there since 1971, and were planned for Western River Expedition but were left in a storage building for all those years and the fur is dusty and cob webbed.

There was a long stream of animatronics that were now reduced to cobbles of 3 or 4 then blankness, and they removed the possums????? WHAT??!!! They were in the concept art!! What was wrong with possums being in a bayou? Then more darkness and Tiana saying something and a cheap screen of Mama Ode replacing where brer rabbit taunted his nemesis' before the ride fell into the more dangerous territory of the laughin' place. Here we have the shrinking scene which makes NO sense and is poorly executed into what I THOUGHT would be the salt mines but it seems more like a hollow gopher hole where someone lost a bottle and some keys. Then NOTHING! The entire laughing place scene looks like a stage on It's a small world when the dolls are taken out for repair. Seeing a loose cable lying around between the mushrooms would not look out of place to me.

Then we have Mama Ode AS I PREDICTED, THROWING YOU OVER THE FALLS FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER! Making her the DE-FACTO villain of this ride. Even more so I think I heard Tiana question where we went so this was done behind her back anyway. I really don't trust that lady.

I don't really have much issues with the finale, aside from the forgettable and indecipherable song that is nowhere near Zip a dee Do Dah Quality. I can't believe they managed to make the song from Runaway Railway more catchy.

This leads me to my MAJOR concern here....

If this version was this disappointing imagine the CALIFORNIA VERSION! The boats move much faster, the lighting is much less dynamic, the scenes are arranged much longer and there were WAY more animatronics to fill it up. This means that ride is shaping up to look like a B-rated version of this one at best. I bet they will just use the same soundtrack instead of keeping it unique like it was on Splash, It will be very incoherent, My beloved hitchiking alligator will be replaced by a plant, and NO MORE CUTE GIGGLING BRER RABBIT HIDING!!!!! :O That was my fave animatronic ever!
Add Your own.PNG

Last edited:

TomboyJanet

I was thinking, its possible they may look at how Tiana in WDW is received, consider all the views and comments and make corrections to the DLR version.

Lets see what happens.
I hope so. It would be wild if they decided OK we'll add all the AAs back in and make it the superior version. Ironically this time the Florida one opened before the original.

Also Wait I noticed in the POV It looks like the "FSU" gopher is STILL IN THE HOLE?
Gopher.PNG
Splash
Gopher fsu.PNG
TBA

TBA Hole.PNG

Or am I just seeing things

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom