News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Incomudro

Did you watch the Splash ridethrough w/Imagineer commentary that @EagleScout610 posted above?

I think it's so interesting to hear what factored into the decisions they made along the way--the limitations of space, the cost management, and the storytelling intent. I noticed he mentions:
  • Using dark and "dead" space to create story beats
  • Minimally-themed areas to reduce costs
  • Visual tricks to draw the guests' eye toward certain scenes (and away from other things)
  • Flat scenes due to tight spaces
  • Lighting
I believe the Imagineers put just as much thought into TBA as they did into the WDW version of Splash. I know some are not satisfied with the results, but I find it interesting to hear their rationale for every element in the attraction.

Did you see @Bill Cipher 's lovely analysis of the music/jazz theme of TBA?

I think the use of the music is a product of their research and visits to NOLA.

I also see that inspiration in the foliage, the color palette, and the food references, but in my opinion, they could have gotten that inspiration by visiting the Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter resorts. I think those capture a Disneyfied Bayou/New Orleans really well.
The point is using those things effectively.

Last edited:

_caleb

regarding the music, yes the new finale song is at least catchy. the float through after the first lift hill past tiana should have been different, all they did was rip the soundtrack and put it on there. It should have been an instrumental that was zippy and better. The version of Almost There on the Craig Duncan Bare Necessities album would have been so much more fitting, but they went the cheap easy boring route. and with that area would a bird house some critter home or something hanging from the tree or along that area been too much? All small details removed and replaced with nothing but a horrible cheap sign.
Which video(s) are you basing this on?

I don't think any of the audio is just the soundtrack, but maybe you've found a higher-quality recording?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Sure. And many folks here watched the POV videos (and other videos since) and decided WDI didn't accomplish that. I'm pushing back on those who assert (over and over) that Imagineers put little thought into TBA.
To the contrary, they definitely put a lot of thought into it.

Just like a complex pivot table has a lot of thought put into it. Every box has been meticulously checked and re-checked to go to the greatest lengths to create the least offensive, innocuous, conflict-averse, and most anodyne ride possible.

Or as the number crunchers call it “FUN”.

Last edited:

Jedi14

Does anyone know if the ride had any major downtime today? I was there earlier and it seemed like they were running at a higher capacity.

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
Does anyone know if the ride had any major downtime today? I was there earlier and it seemed like they were running at a higher capacity.
It was a NIGHTMARE this morning, to the point where I did not enjoy it after we went on it. It didn't open until 3 hours after the park opened. I was so mentally tired from the heat I didn't even want to ride it by the time it opened.

Ghost93

It was a NIGHTMARE this morning, to the point where I did not enjoy it after we went on it. It didn't open until 3 hours after the park opened. I was so mentally tired from the heat I didn't even want to ride it by the time it opened.
I'm sorry to hear that. Fortunately the long lines with any new attraction will eventually die down.

I suspect Tiana's Bayou Aventure will be overcrowded for the next two years, but probably normalize by the time I can afford a Disney World vacation (probably like 10 years from now, lol)

Animaniac93-98

To add a positive note to the discussion, I feel like I am one of the few people who actually quite likes the new song for the finale. It really has become stuck in my head and I have to admit that I find myself singing "it's a joyful celebration, you don't need an invitation..." almost involuntarily after watching all those ride through videos!

Wordy lyrics aside, I actually like the new song. It's fun to listen to on its own and I'm glad Disney released it.

But the ride does it no favors by not building up the orchestration and just starting and stopping the song so suddenly.

Animaniac93-98

I knew it was "sure as you're born" but to be fair, I had seen Song of the South before I went on the ride (somehow my aunt had a copy) and in the movie the lyrics are much easier to understand.

"How Do You Do?" was on one of the sing-along videos, so if you had a copy the words were spelled out for you lol

While I am in support of the retheme (even if I think the execution left much to be desired), the thing I will miss most about Splash Mountain is the "How Do you Do?" song. IT's very catchy and uplifting and it's the song I associate most with Splash Mountain — even moreso than Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah.

Zip was used in so many Disney things for so long, I just associated it with Disney in general more than Splash.

"How Do You Do?" and "Laughin' Place" were more Splash songs to me too.

SilentWindODoom

Two things that have come up in the queue that I want to ask about:

1. There's a small box near the bear, fox, and rabbit on the shelf. It has a bunch of music notes with "The Greatest Story Ever Told" below. Anyone know what that tune is? At first I'd wondered if it was Zip in homage to Splash, but the notes don't come close to fitting.

2. Tiana's gumbo recipe is on the wall in the queue. But going back and trying to find it again... all the videos I see go down the right hallway with the pantry while it is on the left hallway there on the yellow wall. I can't find whichever video showed it in full HD. Anyone see this recipe? Is it just the one released in the past by the Parks?

3. A third thing that's not a question, but I realized for the first time as I watched Tim Tracker ride: I love that the bulletin board has notes from people missing things that are a part of the critters' instruments. Very good touch.

To add a positive note to the discussion, I feel like I am one of the few people who actually quite likes the new song for the finale. It really has become stuck in my head and I have to admit that I find myself singing "it's a joyful celebration, you don't need an invitation..." almost involuntarily after watching all those ride through videos!

Since the first day, and assisted by all the watching to be a part of the conversation and see changes in the ride, I've had "Special Spice" stuck in my head. It's a toe tapper. Or at least a finger-in-the-air wagger.

HonorableMention

You know what would be fun? A video by Don Carson or Tony Baxter giving their feedback on WDW and DL's Bayou Adventures, respectively. Not to tear them apart, but give constructive criticism.

It’s so interesting hearing about the “tricks” they used to save money. I feel like when we hear about imagineering BTS it’s mostly from Disney themselves, so we never get to learn about budgets and how they made the most with what they had (space/money/etc).

Also made me realize that the Laughing Place was a lot more figureless dark space than I remember. It makes me appreciate the theming of the shrinking section a bit more.

SilentWindODoom

Also made me realize that the Laughing Place was a lot more figureless dark space than I remember. It makes me appreciate the theming of the shrinking section a bit more.

Yeah. I immediately felt that section was probably the biggest improvement and have been shocked by those who say otherwise. Especially considering how little of what was there worked for so much of its life.

Ghost93

Yeah. I immediately felt that section was probably the biggest improvement and have been shocked by those who say otherwise. Especially considering how little of what was there worked for so much of its life.
I felt the Dig A Little Deeper segment was better from a visual/production standpoint, but this was the part of the attraction where I felt the story went off the rails with Mama Odie randomly turning us tiny and randomly turning us back. Maybe they could have established that we are late to the party and Mama Odie knows a shortcut that requires us to get tiny to pass through.

SilentWindODoom

I felt the Dig A Little Deeper segment was better from a visual/production standpoint, but this was the part of the attraction where I felt the story went off the rails with Mama Odie randomly turning us tiny and randomly turning us back. Maybe they could have established that we are late to the party and Mama Odie knows a shortcut that requires us to get tiny to pass through.

Well, the being late has nothing to do with the shrinking. It's so you stumble upon the frogs.

Sectorkeeper71

I knew it was "sure as you're born" but to be fair, I had seen Song of the South before I went on the ride (somehow my aunt had a copy) and in the movie the lyrics are much easier to understand.

While I am in support of the retheme (even if I think the execution left much to be desired), the thing I will miss most about Splash Mountain is the "How Do you Do?" song. IT's very catchy and uplifting and it's the song I associate most with Splash Mountain — even moreso than Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah.
Agreed, I honestly associate the banjo version of it playing while you went around the outside before slippin falls. Just the perfect atmospheric tone setter for that ride

SuddenStorm

I can't believe that Disney put this quote on this joke of an attraction -

1717745478835.png

Imagineering should listen to their own quotes!!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom