News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

SilentWindODoom

If you want the attraction to stand on its own as its own attraction and not a retheme, then yes. Lazy rethemes just invite folks to make comparisons and rarely does the lazy newer version fare better than the purpose-built version with nostalgia softening the edges.

If they were going to turn Pirates into a ride themed around Coco, I wouldn't just want to see them paint the city sets with brighter colors, I'd want new scenes to reflect the new artistic direction.

Funny you mention that comparison, and I don't know if you did it on purpose, but the truth is that would be a pretty easy transition. From the clay walls and tiles of the Caribbean to those of Mexico. The dark environs fit the Land of the Dead. It's actually smoother and would take less work than Splash to Tiana.

But nevertheless, if the choice is spending money on the rockwork and taking it away from the insides/Moana/Beyond Big Thunder/Tropical Americas, would you want them to sand down the mountain? Obviously, the best answer is to do both, but if they're not going to and we wind up with the ol' quick-well-cheap triangle, I'd rather what we got.

SilentWindODoom

I presume that this will be the first of multiple scenes where an animatronic or two once sat in Splash Mountain now sitting empty.

I also presume that those goose and frog animatronics were trashed for parts like the Universe of Energy dinosaurs and most of the Great Movie Ride animatronics.

I believe it's the popular theory that Tiana first addresses everyone in that right turn. The existing goose and frogs were the first of a number all singing the tune. None of them were meant to be the focus of a scene. I'm not surprised in seeing this place blanked with the purpose of everyone focusing on the opening tableau.

We'll see how it continues through the ride.

TheRealSkull

I presume that this will be the first of multiple scenes where an animatronic or two once sat in Splash Mountain now sitting empty.

I also presume that those goose and frog animatronics were trashed for parts like the Universe of Energy dinosaurs and most of the Great Movie Ride animatronics.
God forbid they keep animatronics that would still be thematically consistent within the bayou.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Can someone remind me what part of the ride the inside photo is from? Also, it looks like they're using a very wide lens for this shot, so I think it'll look much better in person, and the photo is kind of low res.
Right when you drop into the mountain. The goose with the three frogs was right in front of you.
image.png
image-1.png

mickEblu

If you want the attraction to stand on its own as its own attraction and not a retheme, then yes. Lazy rethemes just invite folks to make comparisons and rarely does the lazy newer version fare better than the purpose-built version with nostalgia softening the edges.

If they were going to turn Pirates into a ride themed around Coco, I wouldn't just want to see them paint the city sets with brighter colors, I'd want new scenes to reflect the new artistic direction.

I agree with the sentiment. In this case however I’m happy to see some of the interior sets remain the same or similar as I simply don’t trust this team to do better. If you told me 80’s / 90s WDI was going to redo the interior and make it look like the bayou from PATF then have at it but this team? No I’m good.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Don Carson told me the interiors were sculpted concrete, so I'm not at all surprised that most of it appears the same. They wouldn't have been able to do this so quickly if they had gutted it. That said, it again goes to show that they just aren't giving Tiana an attraction worthy of the IP. Why would they not create an entirely NEW ATTRACTION for the great story told by the film?

Instead we're floating through redressed hallways, haunted by memories of animatronics that have been scrapped, songs that have been erased from existence like Stalin did to his enemies, and a storyline that felt like it fit the ride design and layout. Will anyone who rode the previous attraction ride this one without thinking about what came before? Many will claim to, but I don't buy it. Comparison is natural when a retheme occurs. I won't pretend I know what will win the comparison...but I have a guess!

EDIT 5/29: Not the place for a comparison to a dictator, I get it. Didn't mean to start a big thing.

Last edited:

Bayou

Don Carson told me the interiors were sculpted concrete, so I'm not at all surprised that most of it appears the same. They wouldn't have been able to do this so quickly if they had gutted it. That said, it again goes to show that they just aren't giving Tiana an attraction worthy of the IP. Why would they not create an entirely NEW ATTRACTION for the great story told by the film?

Instead we're floating through redressed hallways, haunted by memories of animatronics that have been scrapped, songs that have been erased from existence like Stalin did to his enemies, and a storyline that felt like it fit the ride design and layout. Will anyone who rode the previous attraction ride this one without thinking about what came before? Many will claim to, but I don't buy it. Comparison is natural when a retheme occurs. I won't pretend I know what will win the comparison...but I have a guess!
:rolleyes:

UNCgolf

Sure, they could have built a new Tiana attraction, which would have been nice -- but then what do they do as a retheme for Splash? Tearing it down completely would be a tremendous waste of money.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No

I rode the old ride. Not gonna compare because I actually want to enjoy the ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom