News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

If you say so. I personally don't think an Arabic Market with a Polynesian building behind it is gradual but I also don't really have a problem with that.
Nor would many other people. The Arabian theme is an intrusion to that area that many people dislike. One that didn't exist prior to 2001. That area used to look like this-

tiki%20bird%20area%20without%20aladdin.jpg

There's also no gradual blending or transition with placing Aladdin in that area. It's just a random Arabian area plopped down in the middle of an otherwise Polynesian themed location. Also made what used to be a nice spacious plaza into a very claustrophobic mess.

aladdin2007

Nor would many other people. The Arabian theme is an intrusion to that area that many people dislike. One that didn't exist prior to 2001. That area used to look like this-

There's also no gradual blending or transition with placing Aladdin in that area. It's just a random Arabian area plopped down in the middle of an otherwise Polynesian themed location. Also made what used to be a nice spacious plaza into a very claustrophobic mess.
couldn't agree more, its a bottleneck and ruined that area. There is no reason why they couldn't take that out and move it elsewhere, I don't know where at the moment but they did it with dumbo it can be done here. Heaven forbid we have a nice open plaza or fountain or walking space etc..

yensidtlaw1969

The reason I didn't mention the real foliage on Splash is that there wasn't all that much of it, at least on the front of the mountain. The bulk of real foliage was placed along the flume bend between the mill lift and first drop. As well as a smaller amount used after the big drop near the cavern entrance to the finale. Over the past several decades, most of this foliage was also abandoned and left to die. Even in the otherwise fantastic 2013 refurb that got the ride mostly back to opening day condition again, they still didn't bring back a lot of the real plant life adorning those areas during the 90s.

The greenery used on the direct front of Splash was always fake. And it did indeed very noticeably fade with age and had to be addressed when they gave the exterior a good overhaul. The difference however is that this grass was also used in a more sparce manner than he curtains of vines and flowers they're covering TBA with.

The foliage they've been installing on the facade of Tiana mostly hasn't been that rigid durable type you've described either. There are plenty of closeup videos of the foliage in recent months, and it flutters like real greenery even with a small breeze.

And fire damage is naturally going to be addressed much more quickly than something that has faded from age. It also helps that 7DMT is a much smaller and easier to access structure than TBA, as well as using less complex greenery to begin with. My concern is that they're going to just give up on maintaining this ride once it's open, similar to a great many other attractions at WDW. And with so much more foliage, its wear and tear is going to be all the more apparent than even Splash when it does start to show its age.

Sorry, but I don't think this is as accurate as you suggest - basically all of the foliage on the front of Splash Mountain was real until sometime around a decade ago when they finally gave up on many of the facade's live plants and started replacing them with fake ones. Trying to pin down an exact date for when the fake grass replaced the real plants on the front of the ride.

Here are some pictures showing many of the plants dead or dying, as well as the damage being caused to the facade as a result of them being real:

Photo from 2006:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 6.15.55 PM.png

From 2009:

1705533018205.png

From 2013:

10997074083_c883f680cb_c.jpg

And from 2015, showing a mix of real plants and Fake Grass on the facade:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 6.22.30 PM.png

It is, of course, true that Splash used less faux foliage on its exterior than TBA does. Also please note I didn't describe the foliage as "rigid", though it is durable. Pandora features fake vines and petals that sway in the wind but are still constructed of materials like metal and fiberglass which are resilient enough to withstand the weather events all WDW buildings need to be prepared for. TBA is no exception in this regard.

Whether they maintain TBA properly over time remains to be seen. But like I said, similar plants in New Fantasyland and Pandora have held up quite well.

I said nothing of the sort, quite the opposite. I said it will require both that same level of care on the paint as Splash, but that the new foliage would add to its maintenance demands. The added foliage will also complicate things when they do need to touch up the paint because it will get in the way and either need to be carefully worked around or perhaps even removed. Probably the latter, because again that foliage is also going to need replacing after a time.
I think I may have misread your last paragraph a little bit, apologies for that.

I don't think the combination of Paint and Foliage on Tiana's Bayou Adventure will prove more complex to maintain than any of the other attractions on property, past and present, who have combined painted rockwork with faux foliage on their facade. It's very easy to mask off elements that are at risk of overspray.

yensidtlaw1969

I had a similar thought, the discontent over the office isn’t because it’s an office, it’s still a result of the ride being based on a co-op.

Walking through a skippers office, full of maps and navigational tools, sounds fun.

Walking though Indiana Jones office, full of artifacts, sounds fun.

Walking through the offices in Flight of Passage and MIB, full of aliens and technology, sounds fun.

Walking through a co-op office sounds boring, when I envision a restaurant or grocery store office I picture work schedules, invoices, bills… none of that sounds fun.

It’s not that the office is a bad idea, it’s basing a ride on a co-op that’s a bad idea, it just doesn’t sound fun or exciting.

Yeah, I'm sure than it'll be way less fun and exciting than Splash Mountain's legendarily fun and exciting queue:

1705535322244.png

1705535370210.png

1705535396867.png

1705535439892.png

(^Admittedly, I enjoyed that vignette)

450299614_bafc09a300_c.jpg

*Clutches pearls* is THAT a CRANE??!?

mickEblu

If we re talking ugly spinners that create unnecessary pinch points I give the prize to Astro Orbitor at DL. Every time they disassemble that thing for refurb I pray we never see it again. At least not in that location.

Smiley/OCD

I had a similar thought, the discontent over the office isn’t because it’s an office, it’s still a result of the ride being based on a co-op.

Walking through a skippers office, full of maps and navigational tools, sounds fun.

Walking though Indiana Jones office, full of artifacts, sounds fun.

Walking through the offices in Flight of Passage and MIB, full of aliens and technology, sounds fun.

Walking through a co-op office sounds boring, when I envision a restaurant or grocery store office I picture work schedules, invoices, bills… none of that sounds fun.

It’s not that the office is a bad idea, it’s basing a ride on a co-op that’s a bad idea, it just doesn’t sound fun or exciting.
You forgot the time clock and the labor law signs…

Smiley/OCD

Just move Aladdin to the Morocco pavilion and call it a day…it opens up that area of Adventureland and adds another people eater in WS

Casper Gutman

The only thing the details of today revealed was the placements of the animatronics we already knew about it. Based on the account, they seem to be much further spaced apart than the Splash ones were (roughly one main one per scene). Not sure how this addresses any of the concerns?
The new information seems to corroborate my fears, just like almost all the previous information - we’re going to be getting sparsely populated spaces with one overly elaborate AA (often addressing us directly) rather then deep, intricate scenes with lots of figures of the type that Disney used to be known for. It’s more Frozen, more RotR, more River Journey, more blah.

MerlinTheGoat

IMHO, it fits better there than where it is now…
It doesn't belong anywhere.
The only place an Aladdin area would make any sense would be as another expansion of Fantasyland. And it would have to be properly sectioned off into its own sort of mini area to work so it doesn't clash.

There does happen to be a designated expansion plot outside the railroad track directly east of the Circus area. Tron did eat up around half of that plot (and also ruined the sightlines for pretty much anything else around it), but there's still a significant chunk left over that could fit some other things if they so desired. They could fit both a spinner AND another substantial sized dark ride in that space. Aladdin having never received a proper Pan-like suspended dark ride almost feels like some sort of crime...

aladdin2007

MerlinTheGoat

The new information seems to corroborate my fears, just like almost all the previous information - we’re going to be getting sparsely populated spaces with one overly elaborate AA (often addressing us directly) rather then deep, intricate scenes with lots of figures of the type that Disney used to be known for. It’s more Frozen, more RotR, more River Journey, more blah.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about this just yet. Not until we see some sort of evidence. The article mentions that imagineers placed cutouts specifically for Tiana and Louis, no such cutouts were mentioned being present for the critter band. It's plausible that only the main movie characters received such cutouts, ones that would also be the most advanced AA's, and the other secondary critters throughout the ride weren't marked as such.

This is the same reason why i'm also taking those renders Splash Archive posted of the finale with a dome of salt. The only characters in these renders are major characters from the movie, and specifically ones that are probably going to be A1000's. They were still using the renders to test out their positions. With one of the renders not even showing any figures placed at all yet, and another showing two of the figures t-posing. With again a lot of other occupied spaces that seem like they are designed to contain characters.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about this just yet. Not until we see some sort of evidence. The article mentions that imagineers placed cutouts specifically for Tiana and Louis, no such cutouts were mentioned being present for the critter band. It's plausible that only the main movie characters received such cutouts, ones that would also be the most advanced AA's, and the other secondary critters throughout the ride weren't marked as such.
Right. This ride is going to live or die on its critters I think. How many, and how much movement.

Vegas Disney Fan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom