News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

Right. This ride is going to live or die on its critters I think. How many, and how much movement.
Correct. I'm waiting for some definitive proof before torching the ride, but it's going to be a bloodbath if they don't deliver on both quantity and quality.

The most specific claims anyone has posted about the quantity of AA's has been "over four dozen", courtesy of cupofchai from this forum (who was also the first one to get the scoop about the riverboat being removed). That number is a bit vague. But if close to accurate, it would still require the scenes to be fairly well populated.

At WDW, there are three primary spaces that they can fit a decent quantity of figures inside. First being the How Do You Do scenes after the first drop. Next is the bottom-most Laughing Place level after the third drop (which actually doesn't have all that many AA's at WDW but has a larger quantity at DL). Third is the finale scene right before unload.

Unless they've managed to find some additional space by knocking out rockwork or even walls, there's not much room elsewhere. The stretch right before the second drop and the beehive room right after said drop are very narrow and would have similar constraints as Splash. So if any figures go in there, they'd likely have to be few in number or small.

We know Mama Odie will occupy the old Fox lair atop the final lift (I wonder if her pet snake will also be present).

JohnD

I think we often forget just how lush some parts of Frontierland actually are, especially along the Rivers of America. I mean you can make the argument that Big Thunder Mountain looks more out of place than Splash Mountain ever was considering all the foliage that surrounds it. Is this new look for TBA particularly distinct? Nope. But I wouldn't go as far to say that it's visually intrusive.
We're back to Frontierland must be dust and tumbleweed. Um, the Louisiana Purchase included multiple terrains beyond the 13 colonies. Why people think the "frontier" cannot include Louisiana vegetation is beyond me.

JohnD

Based on what they've done to the exterior of the ride, it's likely that aspect of the ride will degrade quicker and more noticeably than Splash. For Splash, the degradation largely affected the paint. But with Tiana, there's a ton of fake greenery adorning the mountain now. Weathering has the potential of making it look pretty worn down and faded quite quickly. That will probably be more expensive and difficult to repair than painted red clay. Plus Tiana's mossy rockwork will ALSO still need to be touched up every few years to keep it looking decent.
Interesting. Has that thought process ever occurred to you for the Tree of Life or Swiss Family Robinson Tree? What about Pandora? Just wondering.

JohnD

Because there is no valid criticism, really; it’s just the same bitter individuals complaining that a mediocre ride was closed over a year ago. It gets stale and boring after a while.
Splash was never mediocre. It was one of the most immersive and best rides on property. At the same time, I won't pre-judge TBA. I won't deny the storyline about finding an ingredient for Tiana's co-op has me nervous. There better be a good payoff.

mickEblu

Right. This ride is going to live or die on its critters I think. How many, and how much movement.

I agree. I think it’s the following in no particular order ….

1. Amount of AA’s / animated figures (how full and alive does it feel?) Particularly critters though as they bring the whimsy.

2. Music

3. Climax (what are they doing instead of the slam dunk that would have been Facilier/ Friends on the other side )

4. Finale (they have big shoes to fill)

MerlinTheGoat

Interesting. Has that thought process ever occurred to you for the Tree of Life or Swiss Family Robinson Tree? What about Pandora? Just wondering.
It's a generalized concern, not one that only affects this particular attraction. It's also not technically a point against the ride itself and its designers, but rather the notoriously bad management at WDW in particular (though DL isn't without fault in this regard either). It will be interesting to see if the ride remains in top condition after a year or two of Florida's weather.

I haven't had a good look at the Treehouse's foliage, but I believe the leaves on the Tree of Life at least actually ARE made out of a sturdier material more resistant to wear and fading. Not that it hasn't faded at all over the years though, because I think it has. I also haven't been over to Pandora in quite a while to look around either.

The vine and leafy foliage being installed on TBA doesn't appear to be as substantial as the foliage on the Tree of Life. At least based on the closeup videos I saw. The leafs and petals appear to flap around in the wind in a manner that makes it seem very thin and papery. Hopefully it WAS treated with some sort of anti-fade process, but we'll see.

MerlinTheGoat

As I clarified in my second post on the subject of TBA's foliage, the material being used on much of what is covering the rockwork specifically looks somewhat flimsy. Looking at closeups, it looks quite thin, and the individual leaves/petals flutter and bend in even a light breeze. This compared to the rigid and tough foliage on the Tree of Life. The leaves they've covered in the new cypress trees along the flume also seem to be built out of somewhat sturdier material for the record.

There actually is plenty of fake foliage across property at WDW that is very faded and could use replacing. Even some on 7DMT is already looking pretty worn out. This included Splash Mtn in its final few years, and said foliage wasn't even all that old. TBA will no doubt get to that point as well. And some of what they're using appears like it has the potential to deteriorate more quickly than other cases.

But again, it will be up to Disney to decide how worn out it's allowed to get before they do something about it. They gave up on Splash, and that ride wasn't even an outlier at WDW. One wonders if they'll be motivated to take care of TBA for a change.

Last edited:

JohnD

Ah, I thought you were asking me a genuine question, not looking for an excuse to be rude. My mistake for thinking better of you. Nevertheless, i'll reiterate.

As I clarified in my second post on the subject of TBA's foliage, the material being used on much of what is covering the rockwork specifically looks somewhat flimsy. Looking at closeups, it looks quite thin, and the individual leaves/petals flutter and bend in even a light breeze. This compared to the rigid and tough foliage on the Tree of Life. The leaves they've covered in the new cypress trees along the flume also seem to be built out of somewhat sturdier material for the record.

There actually is plenty of fake foliage across property at WDW that is very faded and could use replacing. Even some on 7DMT is already looking pretty worn out. This included Splash Mtn in its final few years, and said foliage wasn't even all that old. TBA will no doubt get to that point as well. And some of what they're using appears like it has the potential to deteriorate more quickly than other cases.

But again, it will be up to Disney to decide how worn out it's allowed to get before they do something about it. They gave up on Splash, and that ride wasn't even an outlier at WDW. One wonders if they'll be motivated to take care of TBA for a change.
I was asking a genuine question but now you're trying to justify your previous post and make a distinction that somehow Disney won't be able to provide good upkeep with TBA's false foliage while never considering TOL, SWR tree or Pandora. Well, it must be those are more "substantial" than TBA. Sure they are (sarcasm). You were called out in your argument and are now trying to justify it.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I was asking a genuine question but now you're trying to justify your previous post and make a distinction that somehow Disney won't be able to provide good upkeep with TBA while never considering TOL, SWR tree or Pandora. Well, it must be those are more "substantial" than TBA. Sure they are (sarcasm). You were called out in your argument and are now trying to justify it.
You missed some important clarifications I made in a followup post here-

There are indeed different degrees of fake foliage durability. There's size, thickness, material, treatment etc. The type they added to the cypress trees along the flume are quite large and look pretty rigid and durable, similar to the Tree of Life. Whereas the curtains of greenery they covered the mountain itself with appear considerably thinner and more flimsy. When there's a small breeze, the cypress leaves remain relatively stiff and don't move all that much, whereas the ones adorning the mountain flap around like crazy. Hopefully they hold up better than I worry they will though.

I’m curious to see how Tiana will address guests directly, and if she’ll adjust when the logs get backed up. They move pretty fast in the DL version so I hope she’s a fast talker.
Funny you should mention that. Elsa has a slight waving animation of sorts when boats get stuck at her scene. It's quite stiff though and was likely added as an afterthought. She eventually just moves to a completely static position. Her face is also stuck in this hilarious smug expression throughout the breakdown too.

This is why I prefer rides not really involve guests in the story too much and just make it so people are a passive observer to whatever is happening around you. Then they can sort of just set everything to a natural "loop".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom