News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

_caleb

I can agree with what they re doing moving forward but that’s still mostly influenced by the current climate
So what if it is? I'm not sure how that's a big revelation or that it serves as a reason to critique an attraction (which isn't complete yet). Even Disney attractions we consider to be timeless are products of the times in which they were developed.

_caleb

I suspect there’s a feeling amongst some of these creatives that PatF was problematic because 1) Tiana didn’t dream big enough, 2) she was defined as a character relative to her relationship, and 3) she was a frog for most of the film.

Surely the long-gestating production of the D+ series which has gone through multiple creative leads and still does not have a clear release date will improve on the character.
You don't have to suspect what the creatives are feeling; they've been telling us what their aspirations and inspirations are for TBA.

mickEblu

So what if it is? I'm not sure how that's a big revelation or that it serves as a reason to critique an attraction (which isn't complete yet). Even Disney attractions we consider to be timeless are products of the times in which they were developed.

I didn’t say it was a big revelation. But to answer your question if they continue to put messaging before story, placemaking etc it’s not going to end to well for them unless of course they have enough money reserved to weather this storm until a couple generations die off and everyone gets used to this new way of entertainment.

Brer Oswald

Let me put it like this:

View attachment 760499

I found this entire queue and mural ugly, off-putting, tacky. But I still enjoyed the attraction.

It’s not so binary. There can be aspects of any rides themed layers someone won’t enjoy or find to their taste, and others will love.

I fully understand the mural is polarizing, I just don’t understand the level of importance people are giving it.

It’s like a friend choosing a house colour you would never use on your own house, you think “oh god, what a choice”, and then you go inside and have the best time at the dinner party.
The Tiana mural you can see from outside the attraction. You can see it from the train station.

The Maelstrom mural you could only see if you went on the ride.

plutofan15

Good for you. You do what you prefer... See how that works in a free country?
Being a discussion forum and not a Disney-Owned cheerleading website, I thought we could discuss what we are seeing and what Disney themselves are putting out there... without being called asinine...
Again, you don't have to discuss it if you don't want to...and you can wait and discuss it when it is complete.....but then it wouldn't be a "latest details and construction progress" forum now would it?
Did I hit a nerve? Hit a little close to home? Feel free to discuss what you want when you want, it is your opinion. And my opinion is that bashing (or praising) something before a final product is in place is, in fact, asinine. There are many people on these forums who fancy themselves as experts in any and all aspects of anything that Disney does to a comical degree. Forum posts and discussions at one time used to informative and useful. Now it is simply a wasteland of fanboys bashing any little thing that Disney does. I certainly do not agree with everything that Disney does but they do continue to many things well. If I don't like what is being posted/discussed here, why do I continue to come back you my ask. Besides the comic relief of reading the pages and pages complaints of such minute things as eliminating straws on property (news flash: we just returned Christmas Eve from a four night stay and the absence of straws had zero affect on our trip), if you are able to wade through the mountain of complaints, there is actually some useful information to be found. Thanks for the information on how discussion forums work and have a great New Year.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve got issues with Disney retheming attractions in general. Maelstrom and Mission Breakout being the worst of the worst.

I think Disney has gone way over the top with the virtue flag waving on this thing. Call
It “Tiana’s Splash Mountain” take the bunny out and put in some extra frogs and cook some beignets so you have an excuse to sell them and call it a day.

pwnbeaver

I like what they're doing with the ride so far after seeing more finished work. It seems like a nice way to bring in more voices that have been mostly absent from the planning and design of Disney Parks. The backstory is still convoluted and weird, but that backstory likely has little to do with the actual ride itself and what the guests will experience on it.

I think the worrying about how it fits into the concept of Frontierland is something that will likely not matter once enough years have passed. This seems like the beginning of the end of "Frontierland" as it is, which is a land that does not match the understanding of history and the Westward expansion that we will likely continue to have going forward. The genie will not exactly be put back in the bottle here.

pwnbeaver

If losing over a billion dollars at the box office this year alone is a sign of the global marketplace’s appetite for this type of “new entertainment”, they may want to reconsider that strategy.

The main issue is that Disney's output this year mostly sucked. They have boardrooms that hold back creators from going all in on their ideas, and now they're being smashed by other studios who are actually trying. TMNT was better than any Disney animated film in years and that is another massive corporation that was just willing to try something new. Spider-Verse continues to be a masterwork that is insanely culturally relevant ("canon events"). Spider-Verse even has direct messaging in the film that doing the same thing over and over again with mild variations is the incorrect way to do things.

The biggest hit of the year, the biggest hit since Spider-Man NWH, was a movie with explicit feminist messaging whose most popular character is a pastiche of dudes who get trapped in the algorithmic rabbit hole.

TomboyJanet

Is it true that Bob Iger found the current updates to be boring? I've been hearing some people on youtube mentioning it. If so I have to decide wether that's good or bad. Good because it could mean he will someday realize the ride needs to change again, but bad because they seemingly botched it. All I have to go by are these images of ratty shacks with zero animatronics. The thing that worries me is how much they are talking about the authenticity of the trees and plants. Is this living with the land part 2 but with fake plants?

Attachments

• Ratty Shack.PNG
    Ratty Shack.PNG
    182.7 KB · Views: 51

JohnD

I’ve got issues with Disney retheming attractions in general. Maelstrom and Mission Breakout being the worst of the worst.

I think Disney has gone way over the top with the virtue flag waving on this thing. Call
It “Tiana’s Splash Mountain” take the bunny out and put in some extra frogs and cook some beignets so you have an excuse to sell them and call it a day.
I'm of the mind I don't mind the switch up to Tiana. I'm with you. Why couldn't it just be a ride through the Louisiana bayou with Tiana and her friends? That would be enough to make it fun. I'm not so sure about their going all in on this CO-OP/missing ingredient story. They're trying too hard t be relevant.

Disstevefan1

Is it true that Bob Iger found the current updates to be boring? I've been hearing some people on youtube mentioning it. If so I have to decide wether that's good or bad. Good because it could mean he will someday realize the ride needs to change again, but bad because they seemingly botched it. All I have to go by are these images of ratty shacks with zero animatronics. The thing that worries me is how much they are talking about the authenticity of the trees and plants. Is this living with the land part 2 but with fake plants?
I heard this on YouTube too. I think its fake news. Iger is the king of spin, he would never say it even if he thought it was boring and if he looked at it right now, its empty, it is boring.

I would think Iger would not even bother to look until its close to completion.

Iger owns this re theme and he will say its a success JUST LIKE he said the EPCOT renovation was a success.

TomboyJanet

I'm of the mind I don't mind the switch up to Tiana. I'm with you. Why couldn't it just be a ride through the Louisiana bayou with Tiana and her friends? That would be enough to make it fun. I'm not so sure about their going all in on this CO-OP/missing ingredient story. They're trying too hard t be relevant.
Why is it food network ride is what I wanna ask.

Bocabear

Did I hit a nerve? Hit a little close to home? Feel free to discuss what you want when you want, it is your opinion. And my opinion is that bashing (or praising) something before a final product is in place is, in fact, asinine. There are many people on these forums who fancy themselves as experts in any and all aspects of anything that Disney does to a comical degree. Forum posts and discussions at one time used to informative and useful. Now it is simply a wasteland of fanboys bashing any little thing that Disney does. I certainly do not agree with everything that Disney does but they do continue to many things well. If I don't like what is being posted/discussed here, why do I continue to come back you my ask. Besides the comic relief of reading the pages and pages complaints of such minute things as eliminating straws on property (news flash: we just returned Christmas Eve from a four night stay and the absence of straws had zero affect on our trip), if you are able to wade through the mountain of complaints, there is actually some useful information to be found. Thanks for the information on how discussion forums work and have a great New Year.
Always glad to be helpful. Have a wonderful new year!

_caleb

I didn’t say it was a big revelation. But to answer your question if they continue to put messaging before story, placemaking etc it’s not going to end to well for them unless of course they have enough money reserved to weather this storm until a couple generations die off and everyone gets used to this new way of entertainment.
I don't think they're putting messaging before story. I think that's how you (and others who share your perspective) are viewing it. It's not necessary to view it that way and, to me, it seems unhealthy.

I'm not sure how this could be considered a new way of entertainment. Is it because Black people are telling the story? Because culture and social issues and the drive for authenticity aren't new for Disney, they're at the heart of Epcot (an inspirational, progressivist take on the past, present, and future) and Animal Kingdom (with its emphasis on the environment, conservation, and culture).

mickEblu

I don't think they're putting messaging before story. I think that's how you (and others who share your perspective) are viewing it. It's not necessary to view it that way and, to me, it seems unhealthy.

I'm not sure how this could be considered a new way of entertainment. Is it because Black people are telling the story? Because culture and social issues and the drive for authenticity aren't new for Disney, they're at the heart of Epcot (an inspirational, progressivist take on the past, present, and future) and Animal Kingdom (with its emphasis on the environment, conservation, and culture).

Ok so Iger came out and said exactly what I’m saying a few weeks ago. What do you make of that?

_caleb

I don't think it's a matter of trying to be relevant so much as a desire to represent African American culture in a way that doesn't exploit, demean, or make fun of it for the entertainment of people who don't know/care the difference.

TomboyJanet

I heard this on YouTube too. I think its fake news. Iger is the king of spin, he would never say it even if he thought it was boring and if he looked at it right now, its empty, it is boring.

I would think Iger would not even bother to look until its close to completion.

Iger owns this re theme and he will say its a success JUST LIKE he said the EPCOT renovation was a success.
Epcot was a staple of the world that should have been left alone just updated. Just like this ride. with the problems I always mention (Demographic too young for thrill rides, Not enough anticipation of drop, zero conflict dull story) It will also have the look of a stale tourist trap ride like the dinosaur ride in Tennessee (No offense to that its charm is to be cheesy). I do not consider screens as anything that plus's a ride, I think they should only be used for background animations if at all, and otherwise I would just stay home and watch tv. Its flat, cheaply made, unrealistic and sucks you out of the story and puts you as a disassociated observer.

So how is this ride going to age? poorly. Splash Mountain was one of the greatest theme park rides ever made, it was a big draw for people to the parks, now it's like replacing space mountain with the spiderman ride or the small world with a toy story mania clone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom