News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Incomudro

Of course! It's all coming together!

Let's recap:

- 1970's "Electric Company" mural hand-painted by 1920's food co-op employees on barn next to bayou salt mine
- Giant tiara on top of a bayou water tower handcrafted by a local blacksmith (like all giant tiara's on employee owned food co-ops were back then)

Great job, WDI! I'm immersed!!!

#frontierland
I don't see how the Tiara bothers you, and it's certainly plausible to the concept.
You know... This is a fictional story - not a documentary?

Epcot81Fan

I don't see how the Tiara bothers you, and it's certainly plausible to the concept.
You know... This is a fictional story - not a documentary?
On the contrary, I think the giant princess tiara in Frontierland on top of the employee owned food co-op's bayou water tower next to the salt mine might just be the perfect symbol of modern WDI - it should be their new division logo.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

It's not minor if it's going to be readily visible as you walk by on the pathway outside the queue.
If it's clearly visible from there, it's going to be an ugly distraction.

Let me put it like this:

1703634149830.jpeg

I found this entire queue and mural ugly, off-putting, tacky. But I still enjoyed the attraction.

It’s not so binary. There can be aspects of any rides themed layers someone won’t enjoy or find to their taste, and others will love.

I fully understand the mural is polarizing, I just don’t understand the level of importance people are giving it.

It’s like a friend choosing a house colour you would never use on your own house, you think “oh god, what a choice”, and then you go inside and have the best time at the dinner party.

In the Parks
No
Reminder that this thread is for construction updates and new concept art, etc
That original thread hasn't seen any action since November 30. Let's be honest, it's just easier to talk about it here. I don't see things going too far off the rails, anyway. The current discourse has been about an actual development with the apparent degradation of the top of the mural.

Ayla

That original thread hasn't seen any action since November 30. Let's be honest, it's just easier to talk about it here. I don't see things going too far off the rails, anyway. The current discourse has been about an actual development with the apparent degradation of the top of the mural.
Except it isn't. It was painted intentionally to look that way, as was detailed in a prior post.

_caleb

Sorry, I thought I was entitled to my artistic preferences just like everyone else.
You are! I’m always pleased when people appreciate art of any kind.

I was making a joke because French Impressionism was initially derided as being “not real art” compared to traditional styles. But that was in the 1860s. Since then, a great many people have come to love Monet, Manet, Renroir, etc.

EPCOTCenterLover

You are! I’m always pleased when people appreciate art of any kind.

I was making a joke because French Impressionism was initially derided as being “not real art” compared to traditional styles. But that was in the 1860s. Since then, a great many people have come to love Monet, Manet, Renroir, etc.
Thank you. I didn't know you were making a joke. People are generally so sensitive of any criticism of this layover of Splash Mountain, I thought you were offended. My apologies.

Bocabear

Doing a press release about bringing the artist in that they found in New Orleans, having her design some concept art and murals, I would say this detail does matter... they obviously thought it was important enough for us to know her name and where she was from... My beef is not with the artist...she was hired to create this mural... but why was money ( and we are always reminded about the dwindling budgets for almost every new thing they do) spent on this detail that really does not fit stylistically to the time period, and does nothing to advance the storyline?
and odd they would hire an known artist to create a mural that would look like it was painted by amateur workers in the Foods Factory...

Fox&Hound

Doing a press release about bringing the artist in that they found in New Orleans, having her design some concept art and murals, I would say this detail does matter... they obviously thought it was important enough for us to know her name and where she was from... My beef is not with the artist...she was hired to create this mural... but why was money ( and we are always reminded about the dwindling budgets for almost every new thing they do) spent on this detail that really does not fit stylistically to the time period, and does nothing to advance the storyline?
and odd they would hire an known artist to create a mural that would look like it was painted by amateur workers in the Foods Factory...
Because they want you to know this ride represents New Orleans and that they doing their homework to bring in New Orleans artists, blacksmith workers, and musicians to create this ride. Everything they have told us about this ride so far is about their painstaking steps to celebrate New Orleans culture. Modern Disney is less concerned with “we are building a fun ride” and more focused on “are we being truthful in our art while also being sensitive to various cultures, ethnicities, and communities”.

I want details as much as the next person. I also want this ride to be fun. But I have always respected Disney’s attempt at realism in their art.

Bocabear

but they are also representing a story set in a particular time... If they were doing a ride based on the Dutch settlers in 18th century New York, going to modern day Manhattan and choosing a contemporary urban artist to do a graffiti mural would not be place-setting for an attraction taking place several hundred years ago...
Hiring an artist from New Orleans with a very specific current-day style does not mean that it helps tell the story set a hundred years ago in that location...

LittleBuford

I ask this in sincerity- can anyone provide examples of period-appropriate artwork that might have inspired this mural? The criticism that the painting is completely anachronistic seems strong - it doesn’t FEEL appropriate, which in theme park terms is the most important thing - but I’m not an art historian.
I'm not sure how much (if at all) it will address your question, but I posted this upthread:

It seems to me that the murals are trying to evoke the spirit of the Harlem Renaissance:

It feels off by a decade or so but is not, as some have suggested, locating us in the contemporary moment. The bigger issue than whether it belongs to the 1920s or a slightly later moment in art history is that it doesn't really jibe with the aesthetics of The Princess and Frog itself. That said, perhaps the finished product will look appealing enough that this won't matter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom