News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Incomudro

Even then it is ugly and clashes with the style of the rest of the land and the park as a whole.
It is ugly, and I'd prefer it not be there.
I really hope it's hidden from up on top by foliage, and is mostly visible down in the queue when you get near it.
But it looks like what it's supposed to look like, and it wouldn't be out of the question for something like this to exist in the location and time it's meant to exist in.

mickEblu

I don’t have a strong opinion on the art either way. I just think it looks out of place in Frontierland and the Magic Kingdom in general. We all know what the main purpose of this piece of art is. To hammer home the point that this isn’t Splash Mountain and that Disney and the Magic Kingdom is a place of inclusion for everyone riding around the park on the train to see. The hell if it works in Frontierland or even 1930’s New Orleans. They are saying “this is modern Disney, this isn’t the old guard and we don’t care if this takes you out of your comfort zone.” They are prioritizing messaging to story, entertainment and what the majority of their fan base want. The same thing they are doing with their movies and you can see how well that’s gone for them.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Regardless it’s just a mural, on a wall…

Some will look at it, think “oh my gosh! I love this. How fun!”

Some will think, “that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen”.

Some will walk by and never even notice it.

And everyone’s day will go on.

The new Disney standard: “Everyone’s day will go on.” If only Walt would have operated on that principle. Could you imagine how much better Disneyland and Disney World would be today?

The point is they have a fundamental issue at Disney right now that needs to be addressed. At least Iger seems to think so and he’s a liberal guy who doesn’t seem to get the “biggot” label tossed at him. Sure, at theme parks people are much more forgiving than with movies. There is only one Disney World or one Disneyland. You can look the other way as you walk to next roller coaster or Pirates of the Caribbean. And you also have a million other things competing for your attention.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

You do understand that's it's supposed to look like the work of amateurs, right?
I'm not much of a fan of much of modern art either, but this is supposed to be the work of the people who work at Tiana's.
But it is ugly. It’s not an insult to the artists work, which is fine in an outside setting. This “style” of artwork does not belong in the world’s most visited theme park on a project that is probably going to cost north of $200M.

You know the company who used to pride itself on the showmanship of its theme parks? I’m all for a mural and original artwork, but it should be visually appealing as well as thematically appropriate. This is neither.

Disney Analyst

And that is really what a theme park spending millions on a project wants isn't it?

It’s such a minor part of the experience, I can’t imagine why anyone would give it such importance?

It’s a detail you are certainly allowed to have an opinion of, but it does not make or break the attraction. I personally enjoy the mural. It feels lived in, real, like something I would find in a real community.

I don’t enjoy the Mary Blair tile murals from old Tomorrowland. Many loved them.

celluloid

It’s a detail you are certainly allowed to have an opinion of, but it does not make or break the attraction. I personally enjoy the mural. It feels lived in, real, like something I would find in a real community.
Sounds entirely opposite of the theme of"frontier" is to me.

That's cool, and great that you enjoy it. Why care so much that others don't like it?

celluloid

My point is the level of importance people are giving it. I welcome any opinion of it - but we have to ground ourselves in a little reality around what it is. A minor detail outside the attraction.

That is fair. This is a thread about a retheme of a log flume. There is not going to be a lot to talk about from the outside and what it is, is within what is arguably the most famous theme park land of all time and clashing with that. So it is going to be discussed. Theme parks like this are kind of a mise en scene, and it is not cheap.

Incomudro

But it is ugly. It’s not an insult to the artists work, which is fine in an outside setting. This “style” of artwork does not belong in the world’s most visited theme park on a project that is probably going to cost north of $200M.

You know the company who used to pride itself on the showmanship of its theme parks? I’m all for a mural and original artwork, but it should be visually appealing as well as thematically appropriate. This is neither.
It's certainly ugly.
If I were in charge, I wouldn't have put it there - though I understand its intention.
Which is why I hope when this is all finished, I hope it's only visible from down in the queue.

Incomudro

It’s such a minor part of the experience, I can’t imagine why anyone would give it such importance?

I don’t enjoy the Mary Blair tile murals from old Tomorrowland. Many loved them.
It's not minor if it's going to be readily visible as you walk by on the pathway outside the queue.
If it's clearly visible from there, it's going to be an ugly distraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom