News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Ghost93

I hope this focus on the salt mine/food co-op crap doesn't mean Louis is going to have a small role. I like Louis.
I'm still optimistic that the co-op stuff is just backstory conveyed in the queue and that Louis and the other talking animals will play a big part in the ride itself.

There's definitely going to be some magical element as we know Mama Odie will appear in the attraction shortly before the drop.

MerlinTheGoat

Louis isn't going to be sidelined. He's the most merch-pushing character in that movie and has been in every piece of art for the ride thus far.

I still think the exterior and queue is where most of this backstory will be pronounced. While the interior of the ride will largely skew towards showcasing musical animals having a Mardi Gras party in the bayou. Which again is why I said it looks like there are two different clashing visions for this ride (and neither one was scrapped).

Animaniac93-98

My hope is that the food co-op backstory is something that is explained in the queue and the part where the boats launch and that the entire ride itself is actually just a journey into the Bayou. Tiana, Naveen and Louis will go into the Bayou to get the ingredient. Something will go wrong on the journey, and Mama Odie will save the day right before the drop. Then the ride ends with a Mardi Gras celebration.

This sounds like the most logical, likely outcome which is why it's confusing Disney doesn't just say that.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
...........Disney has truly lost all of their "CREATIVE" talents..... Haven't they?

Can you imagine ANY of these people coming up with an attraction like the original Imagination? Or something as grand as Spaceship Earth? Haunted Mansion? Heck...... Even Countdown to Extinction????

Triple yikes.

This is no longer the same company it once was... We all knew that... But it has never been so blatantly in our face such as this...

Casper Gutman

Louis isn't going to be sidelined. He's the most merch-pushing character in that movie and has been in every piece of art for the ride thus far.

I still think the exterior and queue is where most of this backstory will be pronounced. While the interior of the ride will largely skew towards showcasing musical animals having a Mardi Gras party in the bayou. Which again is why I said it looks like there are two different clashing visions for this ride (and neither one was scrapped).
In the film, Louie seemed completely extraneous, an afterthought to push merch. Ray was the animal sidekick with heart, a character arc, and a narrative purpose. It makes a sad kind of sense that Louie made the cut while the much more engaging figures of Ray, Facilier, and (probably) Charlotte don’t.

Imagineering should get to work on the Facilier AA and the Ray projection pronto, because the negative feedback after this opens is going to be so pronounced that panicked execs are going to want a book-report makeover as soon as possible.

Eventually, do they plan to have frogs in their attraction based on The Princess and the Frog?

Magenta Panther

Holy crap, this is worse than I could ever have imagined. You can almost smell the fear from the people who thought up this preachy killjoy ride replacement. So eager to please and so desperate not to offend, they've concocted a ride narrative that's complete and total cringe. AND those character sketches - all those people wearing little aprons with Tiana's Foods logos on them like they're all baristas from Starbucks. What emotion, exactly, are those characters supposed to inspire? Certainly not amusement or excitement. The Princess and The Frog is not a movie known for strong characters or a great plot anyway, and now the "Imagineers" have made the situation worse with new, even blander characters and that clunky PC storyline. No drama, no tension, and not even a villain - where the heck is Dr. Facilier? By far the most interesting character in the film and he's being left out? Why? I'd rather have a PatF ride that retells the movie story than this treacly follow-up. It's so boring and pandering that it's offensive in its own right. I nearly fell asleep reading the ride description.

Instead of a Laughing Place, we're getting an employee-owned co-op. Instead of rollicking music and classic talking animals, we're getting a Trader Joe's - with a log flume. Instead of the Briar Patch, we're getting Tiana's Foods - a dark ride in a grocery store! Wow, I've always wanted to get wet while shopping at the A&P!

Just appalling. This reboot reeks with astronomical suck. I bet the gang at Universal are laughing their butts off right now. Me...I feel more like crying. And maybe I would if I wasn't so ticked. Damn it, Imagineers, people want to have FUN on a ride. What's fun about that? What's fun about a dorky scavenger hunt for some missing ingredient? Why in Hades should we care?

God. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. So lame it'd almost be laughable if it weren't so tragic.

Last edited by a moderator:

FigmentForever96

Disney is wayyyy over explaining the backstory here but it’s quite obvious the setup of the ride is them going to find the ingredients. I’d imagine the ride portion will be the high energy, musical portions with the animals, singing and music and the finale being the large Mardi Gra celebration.

Magenta Panther

In the film, Louie seemed completely extraneous, an afterthought to push merch. Ray was the animal sidekick with heart, a character arc, and a narrative purpose. It makes a sad kind of sense that Louie made the cut while the much more engaging figures of Ray, Facilier, and (probably) Charlotte don’t.

Imagineering should get to work on the Facilier AA and the Ray projection pronto, because the negative feedback after this opens is going to be so pronounced that panicked execs are going to want a book-report makeover as soon as possible.

Eventually, do they plan to have frogs in their attraction based on The Princess and the Frog?
You got it right about Louis. Completely unnecessary, and worse, he wasn't funny.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I suspect the ride will at least start as a co-op tour bringing us along as friends for a tour with some plan to meet up with Tiana before "something goes wrong." That'd at least fit the classic ride trope.

I think a lot is to reuse as many set pieces as possible, arguably to save money. There are multiple scenes early in Splash that seem adaptable to farming.

LittleBuford

Well, I’m glad to see we’re now allowed to discuss non-construction matters in this thread.

As I said over in the Disneyland forum, this latest description of the backstory reads almost like an Onion parody. I just hope, as others have said, that all of this convoluted setup will have very little bearing on the ride itself.

Ghost93

One thing that just occurred to me is that the food co-op will likely be a big part of the Tiana Disney Plus series. Several of the co-op members pictured in that Black and White photo may be characters in the show.

Maybe the elaborate explanation of the co-op's backstory will be common knowledge by the time the ride opens, as it will already be thoroughly established in the show. And maybe the only reason they are providing so many details now is so that we don't become confused by the concept they are going for as construction progresses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is the construction thread. I don't know why the backstory link was dropped here when it was also dropped in the general TBA discussion thread.

I guess if you want to discuss how the backstory affects construction (how many AAs will this need?), it belongs here.

And if one wants to give hot takes on the backstory, then that is currently being discussed in these two threads:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom