News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

His “evidence” is the same as yours. Anecdotal claims of involvement vs no involvement. So we have to look to external evidence and related context to figure out which one bears out.

Has Tony Baxter been observed anttending any of these confabs in New Orleans? Heck, Disney even paid for Paging Mr. Morrow to go to NO.
You aren't saying our claims are equally plausible. You've chosen to state that Eagle is the one with the accurate info and are acting as if it's "case closed", because he's making claims that agree with the narrative you've settled on yourself. Which is fine, you're well within your right to do so. I don't have any issues with people doubting the info i've posted (if I didn't trust the person who gave me my info already, I wouldn't have believed it either, and then it started being validated). Just be up front about where your opinions stand and why.

Keep in mind that I also hate that this retheme exists at all. Regardless of how good or bad it turns out, a bad taste is probably going to linger. Splash Mountain was my favorite ride at WDW (since Epcot was destroyed in the 90s), I detest that they've removed it along with the utter buffoonery behind the decision. If they mess TBA up and can't come up with a ride that is worthy of Splash, there's going to be hell to pay. I am the furthest thing from a Disney shill imaginable and can still hardly believe the claims made about TBA from my source. They're someone I know and trust who has like-minded opinions, skepticism and dislikes about this entire project. For them to have gone from being one of the retheme's absolute biggest hater (second only to WDW Pro) to claiming it's on track to being a "worthy replacement" for Splash, well it started to have my curiosity. And with a lot of the details having been proven accurate, it now has my attention. There's still plenty of opportunity to mess the ride up, the final product is what will be the real test.

I've explained my theory as to why Tony possibly isn't being trotted out to help market this ride. I won't repeat it again. It seems like a reasonable explanation if he's actually involved as claimed.

Buried20KLeague

Well, they pretty much summed it up in the film...
2c4576_77f47746bf1f46c6af8921d4d66f0b39~mv2.png

Ah, the Disney "Two Finger Point". It seems Tiana has pointed many a people to the nearest restroom.

EPCOT-O.G.

You aren't saying our claims are equally plausible. You've chosen to state that Eagle is the one with the accurate info and are acting as if it's "case closed", because he's making claims that agree with the narrative you've settled on yourself. Which is fine, you're well within your right to do so. I don't have any issues with people doubting the info i've posted (if I didn't trust the person who gave me my info already, I wouldn't have believed it either, and then it started being validated). Just be up front about where your opinions stand and why.

Keep in mind that I also hate that this retheme exists at all. Regardless of how good or bad it turns out, a bad taste is probably going to linger. Splash Mountain was my favorite ride at WDW (since Epcot was destroyed in the 90s), I detest that they've removed it along with the utter buffoonery behind the decision. If they mess TBA up and can't come up with a ride that is worthy of Splash, there's going to be hell to pay. I am the furthest thing from a Disney shill imaginable and can still hardly believe the claims made about TBA from my source. They're someone I know and trust who has like-minded opinions, skepticism and dislikes about this entire project. For them to have gone from being one of the retheme's absolute biggest hater (second only to WDW Pro) to claiming it's on track to being a "worthy replacement" for Splash, well it started to have my curiosity. And with a lot of the details having been proven accurate, it now has my attention. There's still plenty of opportunity to mess the ride up, the final product is what will be the real test.

I've explained my theory as to why Tony possibly isn't being trotted out to help market this ride. I won't repeat it again. It seems like a reasonable explanation if he's actually involved as claimed.
I said this is another data point in seeming favor of the “Tony isn’t involved” category. You claimed the absence of evidence. I pointed out the competing evidence seemed equal, but that with each successive media event where Baxter’s been absent, the competing theory to yours seems more plausible.

I never said “ that Eagle is the one with the accurate info,” nor have I said it’s "case closed.” I think it’s murky earlier because there’s likely an NDO involved because he was purportedly contracted very early on. I don’t know that there will ever be any “evidence.” If he’s unusually absent at the opening I’m some will excuse that due to his age or “he’s retired.”

MerlinTheGoat

I said this is another data point in seeming favor of the “Tony isn’t involved” category. You claimed the absence of evidence. I pointed out the competing evidence seemed equal, but that with each successive media event where Baxter’s been absent, the competing theory to yours seems more plausible.

I never said “ that Eagle is the one with the accurate info,” nor have I said it’s "case closed.” I think it’s murky earlier because there’s likely an NDO involved because he was purportedly contracted very early on. I don’t know that there will ever be any “evidence.” If he’s unusually absent at the opening I’m some will excuse that due to his age or “he’s retired.”
If I hadn't heard claims that he WAS involved, I would also err on the side of it not being the case. As it stands, that was what was told to me. And that's what i've settled on for now. If I hear otherwise from someone with a good track record, I will admit to being wrong. But i've also been given no reason to doubt the source thus far, a lot of the details given have ended up being correct. From the amount of new characters being created, to it seemingly having plenty of animatronics (we'll see if it has as many as Splash), new songs etc.

I presented you with a reason why they may be keeping quiet about his involvement. The project and its PR are unique and not comparable to how they would handle any other attraction. Again, he's "the old white guy who created that alleged horrible racist ride we're destroying". They want Charita Carter (who again is an accountant, not a creative) and the other diversity crew out there promoting the ride.

Mike S

If I hadn't heard claims that he WAS involved, I would also err on the side of it not being the case. As it stands, that was what was told to me. And that's what i've settled on for now. If I hear otherwise from someone with a good track record, I will admit to being wrong. But i've also been given no reason to doubt the source thus far, a lot of the details given have ended up being correct. From the amount of new characters being created, to it seemingly having plenty of animatronics (we'll see if it has as many as Splash), new songs etc.

I presented you with a reason why they may be keeping quiet about his involvement. The project and its PR are unique and not comparable to how they would handle any other attraction. Again, he's "the old white guy who created that alleged horrible racist ride we're destroying". They want Charita Carter (who again is an accountant, not a creative) and the other diversity crew out there promoting the ride.
If that’s the case that seems like such an extremely back handed and disrespectful way to treat one of your creatives that gave your parks some of its greatest attractions. Especially if this ride turns out great because of his involvement.

“Hey, I’m gonna need you to help rework one of your rides because people think it’s racist. We also won’t be giving you credit.”
IMG_6557.jpeg

EPCOT-O.G.

I hope your source(s) didn’t posit this theory, as it reflects a deeply cynical and manipulative mindset that’s really offensive to the abilities and agency of the minorities and women working on this attraction.

Incomudro

If that’s the case that seems like such an extremely back handed and disrespectful way to treat one of your creatives that gave your parks some of its greatest attractions. Especially if this ride turns out great because of his involvement.

“Hey, I’m gonna need you to help rework one of your rides because people think it’s racist. We also won’t be giving you credit.”
View attachment 721530
I wouldn't put this past the current day Disney management.

MerlinTheGoat

I hope your source(s) didn’t posit this theory, as it reflects a deeply cynical and manipulative mindset that’s really offensive to the abilities and agency of the minorities and women working on this attraction.
The theory on WHY Tony could be hands-off on the promotion is my own, I made that very clear every time I posted it and explained my reasons. The source simply stated that Tony was involved with the project and that his proposals are being used in the current and final plan. His involvement was one of the reasons the source did a complete 180 on the project (along with the other details shared with them). Had Tony stormed out angrily and had his plans thrown in the trash can, i'm 100% certain this would have been conveyed to me.

To elaborate on some things regarding the "leadership" behind TBA (this likely won't go over well with certain people here, we'll see if the mods allow it to remain)-

What isn't my own theory (and these are things the source agrees with) is the assessment that Charita Carter and Carmen Smith could not conceptualize a quality project on their own. Charita Carter is an accountant, not a creative. Carmen Smith is an "editor" or sorts to ensure diversity quotas in Disney's stories are being met, and to attempt to deal with "problematic" elements in new and past media. So again, a non creative.

Basically if Charita Carter and Carmen Smith were the ones calling all the shots behind this project, we'd be in big trouble. Their fingerprints ARE all over the salt mine grocery backstory they've cobbled together for the queue and exterior. But from what I was led to believe, more talented individuals have been placed in charge of the actual ride content. Hence the claims that Tony Baxter and even Bob Weis (another person who might raise eyebrows due to the baggage of Disney's America) were involved in its creation. Among an army of other allegedly talented individuals whose faces you won't see when Charita and her clique do their New Orleans promo tours.

I will ask for an update and clarification on Tony's involvement/views on the project. We'll see if I get an answer. I've no issues retracting any previous comments if newer/different information comes out from someone I trust.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
This was brought up oin the DL thread but if they had put the same concept art we've seen 9 million times on the walls with the TBA logo on it, it would've been 100x more effective than Tiana's Food. The concept art would have made a first time guest think "Huh. That looks interesting", instead of "Tiana's Food? Isn't this a boat ride?"
splash-mountain-construction-walls-tianas-foods-7926 copy.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

This was brought up oin the DL thread but if they had put the same concept art we've seen 9 million times on the walls with the TBA logo on it, it would've been 100x more effective than Tiana's Food. The concept art would have made a first time guest think "Huh. That looks interesting", instead of "Tiana's Food? Isn't this a boat ride?"
View attachment 721598
They could even put up newspaper articles about the plot like they did with Rabbit Tales in the queue..

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
When you leave the attraction, you'll receive a certificate signifying that you, as an honorary employee, now own one share of Tiana's Foods! There will be a contest to see who can become the biggest shareholder, which will keep the lines long even after the honeymoon phase!

Then, when the animatronics are not functioning well after a couple of years, Disney can point the finger at the attraction's shareholders! "Don't blame us, Tiana's Foods is EMPLOYEE-owned!"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When you leave the attraction, you'll receive a certificate signifying that you, as an honorary employee, now own one share of Tiana's Foods! There will be a contest to see who can become the biggest shareholder, which will keep the lines long even after the honeymoon phase!

Then, when the animatronics are not functioning well after a couple of years, Disney can point the finger at the attraction's shareholders! "Don't blame us, Tiana's Foods is EMPLOYEE-owned!"
That's not how co-ops work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom