Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Perhaps every audio animatronic should be voiced by a generic AI so every character and their respective accents are indistinguishable.

Because it’ll add so much depth and character when every character in the park - regardless of the established character origin, setting, or time period- sounds like IBM Watson. What an “inclusive” and wholly non-offensive experience that will be.

Roger_the_pianist

Come on. There is no representation of country accents that is not instantly connected with being stupid. Country Bear Jamboree is just as bad. *look at the stupid hillbilly animals, it's so fun!*

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Perhaps every audio animatronic should be voiced by a generic AI so every character and their respective accents are indistinguishable.

Because it’ll add so much depth and character when every character in the park - regardless of the established character origin, setting, or time period- sounds like IBM Watson. What an “inclusive” and wholly non-offensive experience that will be.
Like Karen from SpongeBob SquarePants. She has a Midwestern accent, but a voice like that won’t possibly be accused of being a minstrel or a hillbilly…a clear solution and a clear win.

Dear Prudence

I don't think of country people as being stupid, and I do not think people with accents, those or otherwise, are stupid. If other people see them as being stupid, that is a personal problem-- wait, do people really not understand regional accents exist?! They even exist in other languages! Language is wholly arbitrary.

Dear Prudence

If nothing else, I've always found the WDW Brer Rabbit dialog to be grating. WDW does a better chase lead up, but WOW, does that Brer Rabbit overstay his welcome. Disneyland needed more, WDW needed a lot less--IMO

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't think of country people as being stupid, and I do not think people with accents, those or otherwise, are stupid. If other people see them as being stupid, that is a personal problem-- wait, do people really not understand regional accents exist?! They even exist in other languages! Language is wholly arbitrary.
Not that I necessarily agree with it, but there are many terms such as Yokel and Country Bumpkin that are used when talking about unsophisticated country people.

Brer Panther

Come on. There is no representation of country accents that is not instantly connected with being stupid. Country Bear Jamboree is just as bad. *look at the stupid hillbilly animals, it's so fun!*
By that logic, is Goofy offensive too?

Heck, doesn't Tiana have a Southern accent? At least a slight one? She's certainly not stupid.

Dear Prudence

Not that I necessarily agree with it, but there are many terms such as Yokel and Country Bumpkin that are used when talking about unsophisticated country people.
All of my 4 grandparents spoke with accents that were informed by other languages, many of them considered "country" accents, so I've never thought of "country" people as being unsophisticated (Geordie-Scots, Mexican Spanish informedby Indigenouslanguages, a "country" regional German accent, and English informed by an Indigenous language). I hadn't even thought about the terms you mentioned in a very long, long time, but I have to admit that their suggestions are unfortunate. :(

Mac Tonight

Perhaps our piano playing pal would prefer there to be no audible dialogue on the attraction and instead, subtitles, so that each guest can read the words in their own heads in whichever accent they find most appealing and least offensive?

Dear Prudence

Anyways, here's Wonder Wall

This art is so cute! I hope the Spanish moss stays with the refurb ❤️‍🩹

Attachments

• 75a02f05cc7358621eb1294f9e505ea0 (1).jpg
    75a02f05cc7358621eb1294f9e505ea0 (1).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 40

VJ

What's sad here is that most of us do agree with you up to a point - we're really sad that the ride has to change. We will miss it too, maybe not as much as you do but it is a cherished part of our core memories with Disney. And I do mean that. You might feel betrayed that we are all willing to let it go while you still feel the urge to fight on to save something that means so much to you. And a couple of trolls on twitter and here will pour gas on the fire by calling the ride itself offensive just to rile you back up. I didn't mean that in the words you took apart by me, you missed the meaning of my message when looking at it only one phrase at a time.

If you can set aside your own feelings for a moment, try to put yourself in someone else's shoes for a few minutes. Clear your mind and think only about a person of color who sees every white Disney princess get an attraction or a ride. You have Snow White's mine train. Belle's restaurant and shows. Cinderella's castle and restaurant. Rapunzel has a ride in Tokyo. Sleeping beauty's castle at Disneyland. Frozen's Elsa and Anna own the Norway pavilion at EPCOT. Ariel even has a ride and she's half fish!

Then realize that 13 years later, Disney's only black princess has a rack of dresses in a gift shop and a generic photo-op. Meanwhile, you hear of rumblings that a really old ride is based on characters in a movie with racist stereotypes. And then you realize that the really old ride could be converted to tell the story of the black princess. Wouldn't you draw the same conclusions that others have had - that maybe an old ride could be changed to make a difference to people of color instead of being associated with a movie with a racist ties? There is nothing sinister at play at this line of thinking. There is no sketchy agenda, no backroom dealings and no conspiracy. In this situation, it's simply overdue to make changes and one ride re-theme will mean a lot to a big group of people who feel under-represented at Disney.

Hopefully if you made it this far you realize that there is an entirely separate side of this situation to possibly consider. Please remember that the new generation of disney fans may never have had the chance to fall in love with Splash, for them it's either unknown or just a cute ride that is looking old now. I hope that you take the time to really process everything that I have written here. I don't know you at all, but I feel like you're hurting deeply. I didn't realize that before. You should consider finding healthy ways to process that sense of loss and how to grieve the eventual passing of your beloved attraction and how to best honor it. I sincerely say this to you.
this is one of the most caring and compassionate posts i've seen on wdwmagic in a while - and honestly, i agree with everything you've said.

i grew up with the ride like many here and honestly never really thought about the ride as being problematic, but when i took time to think about the ride and the song zip-a-dee-doo-dah and put myself in the shoes of people of color, it made me realize that the ride has always been problematic because it's intrinsically tied to song of the south - you can't get rid of that tie without retheming the ride itself. and after reading that zip-a-dee-doo-dah is based on an old minstrel song, and hearing the original song (and the resemblance, to me, is more than a coincidence), it made me feel uncomfortable towards the song. i understand that splash mountain is beloved by many, but its effect and impact on people of color should take precedence. compassion should take precedence.

Midwest Elitist

this is one of the most caring and compassionate posts i've seen on wdwmagic in a while - and honestly, i agree with everything you've said.

i grew up with the ride like many here and honestly never really thought about the ride as being problematic, but when i took time to think about the ride and the song zip-a-dee-doo-dah and put myself in the shoes of people of color, it made me realize that the ride has always been problematic because it's intrinsically tied to song of the south - you can't get rid of that tie without retheming the ride itself. and after reading that zip-a-dee-doo-dah is based on an old minstrel song, and hearing the original song (and the resemblance, to me, is more than a coincidence), it made me feel uncomfortable towards the song. i understand that splash mountain is beloved by many, but its effect and impact on people of color should take precedence. compassion should take precedence.
This is an urban legend from the 90s. It's not true. The more likely explanation is that it's a nonsense word that Walt came up with (Bibidi-boppity-boo as well).

VJ

There's no solid proof that "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" is based on a minstrel show song, is there? Isn't the song actually set to "Turkey in the Straw"? I haven't actually listened to it myself...
not the tune, but the main lyric ("zip-a-duden-duden-duden zip-a-duden-day") has an uncanny resemblance to "zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom