Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Do yall not understand that? Brer, Br'r. Etc...it's a racial slur
I once dated girl who was offended by Snow White, because of the whole “skin as white as snow” thing…

Since you seem like someone who fancies themselves pretty “socially aware” to call others out I’m a surprised from your picture a few posts up that you have a Snow White plush.

Nothing against it, of course. To each their own…

_caleb

Notice there are no Brer's on my post.

I alway's thought Brer was a word for *briar* but actually it's a dialect slur for "brother"

Soooooo....
This is true. We discussed this at length after Disney’s initial announcement, but the ”social/political“ boards were deleted a while back.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Um. If it's written in dialect (and avoided by your southern depression era/jim crow grandparents) it is a slur
Um, no. This is false. In this case, AAVE is nothing but a collection of slurs.

“Brer” is not a racial/dialectal slur. It’s just not. “Darkie?” That’s a slur. “Tar baby?” That’s also a slur. “Pickaninny?” Yep, a slur. “Brer?” No.

_caleb

Irrelevant to the current conversation, which is the difference between dialect and a slur.
In some instances, AAVE words seem to be used by White people in disparaging ways. I think a case can be made for this being one of those cases.

But for the record, I’m not with him.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
In some instances, AAVE words seem to be used by White people in disparaging ways. I think a case can be made for this being one of those cases.

But for the record, I’m not with him.
This isn’t the case. Using “Brer” in the text was likely Harris simply repeating the word that was being used by slaves. It’s dialect, yes. But a slur?

This is not directed towards you specifically, but some people who are not African American shouldn’t try to speak on our behalf when it comes to things like this, even though the intentions are good. It doesn’t actually help.

_caleb

This isn’t the case. Using “Brer” in the text was likely Harris simply repeating the word that was being used by slaves. It’s dialect, yes. But a slur?

This is not directed towards you specifically, but some people who are not African American shouldn’t try to speak on our behalf when it comes to things like this, even though the intentions are good. It doesn’t actually help.
I’m sorry you didn’t find my input helpful. I certainly wasn’t trying to speak on anyone else’s behalf!

Brer Panther

Hey, @Brer Panther, I really do love you! I take the time to respond to your posts because I care. And I’ve said it before, but I am truly sorry you are losing an attraction you love, and I’m sorry you were treated poorly on Twitter.
I can only speak for myself but I mean no insult to @Brer Panther or any fellow pro-Splash posters. I for one understand given WDI’s recent track record why there’d be concern, trepidation, and even anger among fans of Spash 1.0 and the Brers.
Thank you both. I really don't like that so many threads on this site have devolved into arguing over whether or not something is offensive.

jasminethecat

Thank you both. I really don't like that so many threads on this site have devolved into arguing over whether or not something is offensive.
What's sad here is that most of us do agree with you up to a point - we're really sad that the ride has to change. We will miss it too, maybe not as much as you do but it is a cherished part of our core memories with Disney. And I do mean that. You might feel betrayed that we are all willing to let it go while you still feel the urge to fight on to save something that means so much to you. And a couple of trolls on twitter and here will pour gas on the fire by calling the ride itself offensive just to rile you back up. I didn't mean that in the words you took apart by me, you missed the meaning of my message when looking at it only one phrase at a time.

If you can set aside your own feelings for a moment, try to put yourself in someone else's shoes for a few minutes. Clear your mind and think only about a person of color who sees every white Disney princess get an attraction or a ride. You have Snow White's mine train. Belle's restaurant and shows. Cinderella's castle and restaurant. Rapunzel has a ride in Tokyo. Sleeping beauty's castle at Disneyland. Frozen's Elsa and Anna own the Norway pavilion at EPCOT. Ariel even has a ride and she's half fish!

Then realize that 13 years later, Disney's only black princess has a rack of dresses in a gift shop and a generic photo-op. Meanwhile, you hear of rumblings that a really old ride is based on characters in a movie with racist stereotypes. And then you realize that the really old ride could be converted to tell the story of the black princess. Wouldn't you draw the same conclusions that others have had - that maybe an old ride could be changed to make a difference to people of color instead of being associated with a movie with a racist ties? There is nothing sinister at play at this line of thinking. There is no sketchy agenda, no backroom dealings and no conspiracy. In this situation, it's simply overdue to make changes and one ride re-theme will mean a lot to a big group of people who feel under-represented at Disney.

Hopefully if you made it this far you realize that there is an entirely separate side of this situation to possibly consider. Please remember that the new generation of disney fans may never have had the chance to fall in love with Splash, for them it's either unknown or just a cute ride that is looking old now. I hope that you take the time to really process everything that I have written here. I don't know you at all, but I feel like you're hurting deeply. I didn't realize that before. You should consider finding healthy ways to process that sense of loss and how to grieve the eventual passing of your beloved attraction and how to best honor it. I sincerely say this to you.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
If you can set aside your own feelings for a moment, try to put yourself in someone else's shoes for a few minutes. Clear your mind and think only about a person of color who sees every white Disney princess get an attraction or a ride. You have Snow White's mine train. Belle's restaurant and shows. Cinderella's castle and restaurant. Rapunzel has a ride in Tokyo. Sleeping beauty's castle at Disneyland. Frozen's Elsa and Anna own the Norway pavilion at EPCOT. Ariel even has a ride and she's half fish!

Then realize that 13 years later, Disney's only black princess has a rack of dresses in a gift shop and a generic photo-op. Meanwhile, you hear of rumblings that a really old ride is based on characters in a movie with racist stereotypes. And then you realize that the really old ride could be converted to tell the story of the black princess. Wouldn't you draw the same conclusions that others have had - that maybe an old ride could be changed to make a difference to people of color instead of being associated with a movie with a racist ties? There is nothing sinister at play at this line of thinking. There is no sketchy agenda, no backroom dealings and no conspiracy. In this situation, it's simply overdue to make changes and one ride re-theme will mean a lot to a big group of people who feel under-represented.
I have an adopted cousin who's black and probably the biggest Tiana fan I know. She's personally over the moon for the new theme. So it's that excitement from people who can't wait that allowed me to realize "Yeah I'll miss the Br'ers but it's time for them to move along".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom