Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ice Gator

Half the animatronics weren't working yesterday apparently-

It’s funny because all critters are hardly animatronics. They’re just static figures that rock back and forth.

Heck the finale critters are just exact clones of the ones we see earlier in the ride.

I’ve seen Christmas decorations at Costco that are more animated than them. Same goes for the little displays in the Main Street windows. Pathetic.

_caleb

It’s funny because all critters are hardly animatronics. They’re just static figures that rock back and forth.

Heck the finale critters are just exact clones of the ones we see earlier in the ride.

I’ve seen Christmas decorations at Costco that are more animated than them. Same goes for the little displays in the Main Street windows. Pathetic.
You think every figure on the ride should be a state-of-the-art AA?

That’s an interesting perspective.

mickEblu

Speaking of Mama Odie, anybody else find it kind of redundant and annoying that Mama odie is there before every drop. #multiplemoods

She’s also just has way too much presence on the ride IMO. I don’t find her character to be that appealing and she was maybe what, people’s 6th favorite character from the movie? FWIWthough, think that AA on the lift hill might be the best designed on the whole ride.

Last edited:

Professortango1

I will say that all of the old American Sings figures were not state-of-the-art yet are far more and expressive than any of the critter band characters.

It's this weird feast or famine. All of the advanced AA's are doing the same thing of gesturing to us while talking to us directly and the remaining characters are all frozen-expression animals with robotic-looking movement. Give me one band member that looks at good at the turkey playing the spider-web or the singing gators.

TP2000

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay you guys, I give.

What the hell is a GSAT? A new test from the College Board? A new form of VD I don't know about? The mind boggles.
Guest SATisfaction survey.

Also, bookmark for some light reading...

Famously, our insiders have told us that MK's overall GSAT went *up* when Stitch's Great Escape was permanently closed.

Ice Gator

um…yeah? Or at least they should have the minimum movements like the predecessor’s background characters. Blinking, moving mouths, turning heads, etc.

Not everything has to be a A1000 but this is still a Disney attraction and should be held to higher standards and if you’re letting this slide then I guess the company has succeeded in lowering your expectations.

DavidDL

I just realized there is a prequel attraction to Tiana's Bayou Adventure already in Disneyland.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 113549.png

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

um…yeah? Or at least they should have the minimum movements like the predecessor’s background characters. Blinking, moving mouths, turning heads, etc.

Not everything has to be a A1000 but this is still a Disney attraction and should be held to higher standards and if you’re letting this slide then I guess the company has succeeded in lowering your expectations.

One of the most depressing parts of the TBA reveal has been realizing how far Disney fans’ standards have fallen. Even when some commentators acknowledge “They can play!” is terrible show-writing, they praise the attraction anyway (as if writing and storytelling don’t matter — “It’s still a fun log flume. Turn your brain off!”). It legitimately bums me out.

mickEblu

One of the most depressing parts of the TBA reveal has been realizing how far Disney fans’ standards have fallen. Even when some commentators acknowledge “They can play!” is terrible show-writing, they praise the attraction anyway (as if writing and storytelling don’t matter — “It’s still a fun log flume. Turn your brain off!”). It legitimately bums me out.

I agree but I don’t know if their standards have fallen as much as they just don’t want to pile on the negativity and don’t want to be associated with those of us that do. Most of the people around here know it’s not up to par. No matter how they feel or felt about the retheme. But I agree that standards seem to have to fallen a bit.

Last edited:

_caleb

It's not a question of expectations, it's about storytelling.

In good animation, the most important elements of a scene are given more movement and detail in order to capture the audience's attention. Less important aspects of the scene should deliberately be presented in softer focus- less movement, less attention-grabbing.

Good imagineering does the same. When there's a lot going on with elements that should be in the background they can end up competing for the audience's attention, which can obscure key story beats. This is especially important for ride elements that the rider zooms past quickly.

How many pirates in PotC have hair on their legs? Why do the pop-up ghosts in Haunted Mansion not have bodies (or articulated limbs)?

The best attractions in the world are disciplined in their use of high-movement, high-detail AAs vs. more static and understated figures. Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Splash Mountain, and most dark rides do this pretty well, in my opinion.

Reasonable people might disagree over whether Disney got the mixture right with TBA, but to equate an arbitrary minimum AA movement with standards of quality seems misguided.

Consumer

It's not a question of expectations, it's about storytelling.

In good animation, the most important elements of a scene are given more movement and detail in order to capture the audience's attention. Less important aspects of the scene should deliberately be presented in softer focus- less movement, less attention-grabbing.

Good imagineering does the same. When there's a lot going on with elements that should be in the background they can end up competing for the audience's attention, which can obscure key story beats. This is especially important for ride elements that the rider zooms past quickly.

How many pirates in PotC have hair on their legs? Why do the pop-up ghosts in Haunted Mansion not have bodies (or articulated limbs)?

The best attractions in the world are disciplined in their use of high-movement, high-detail AAs vs. more static and understated figures. Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Splash Mountain, and most dark rides do this pretty well, in my opinion.

Reasonable people might disagree over whether Disney got the mixture right with TBA, but to equate an arbitrary minimum AA movement with standards of quality seems misguided.
Is the critter band on the ride about the critter band not the most important part of the story?

Even the simplest animatronics on Splash, such as the bull frogs or the baby possums, had more to offer than any of the critters on TBA.

_caleb

Is the critter band on the ride about the critter band not the most important part of the story?

Even the simplest animatronics on Splash, such as the bull frogs or the baby possums, had more to offer than any of the critters on TBA.
Sure, but how would additional axes of movement help in the storytelling?

As @TP2000 mentioned, most of the AAs from Splash were originally designed to be viewed in the America Sings show, not to be viewed while zooming past in a log flume. As such, they some of those figures were over-engineered for that application. Also, several of the Splash AAs had extremely limited movement, but seemed to use them to good effect.

At the end of the day, I think the "AAs aren't animated enough" is one of the weaker criticisms of TBA.

ETA: Is this post off-topic, @The Mom? I just saw your warning. I apologize if it is!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom