Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Here's a good, short video that shows the AA's on Tiana's ride. I think this HD footage really shows how simple (cheap?) these new animal figures are.

They all basically have only two movement options; a back-and-forth motion at the hips, and an up-down motion for arms. The Tiana and Louis figures are impressive, even if she flails her arms around a bit too much. But these animals defintely look like they came from a Chuck E. Cheese warehouse. They spared a lot of expense on these guys...

If the mechanical animals in the jungle cruise aren’t considered AAs (since according to WDI, the first AA wasn’t until 1963), I’m not even sure if some of these qualify as AAs.

Tiana and Louis, obviously do. But even some of the critter band seem to have simple movements.

TP2000

Vaguely off topic, but I've always been curious why WDI often rewrites their story of Audio-Animatronics to start in 1963 with the Tiki Room. Just a lazy intern? Or a willingly stupid one?

In reality, the first public and marketing use of the phrase Audio-Animatronics was used by Disney in 1960 with the upgrades and plussing that the Nature's Wonderland train ride got that year. The phrase "Audio-Animatronics" was used in advertisements and in-park banners and signage for the first time in the summer season of 1960.

img223.jpg

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Vaguely off topic, but I've always been curious why WDI often rewrites their story of Audio-Animatronics to start in 1963 with the Tiki Room. Just a lazy intern? Or a willingly stupid one?

In reality, the first public and marketing use of the phrase Audio-Animatronics was used by Disney in 1960 with the upgrades and plussing that the Nature's Wonderland train ride got that year. The phrase "Audio-Animatronics" was used in advertisements and in-park banners and signage for the first time in the summer season of 1960.

img223.jpg
The funny thing about giving so much historical importance to the Tiki Room in so many Disney-sanctioned pieces is that it will make for awkward announcement when D’Amaro and company decide to do an about-face and declare the attraction is irrelevant and/or offensive to contemporary audiences.

“What Tiki Birds? Never heard of it. The 64-65 World’s Fair was the first use of AAs. Moana and Maui’s Tropical Meet and Greet Adventure was always here.”

mickEblu

I skimmed the thread before replying - has someone actually counted the major and minor characters in both versions? I would love to see that.

I haven’t but unless you are counting projected characters on TBA I can’t see how it could be close let alone TBA having more. Is that what you meant by more characters?

Brer Oswald

I haven’t but unless you are counting projected characters on TBA I can’t see how it could be close let alone TBA having more. Is that what you meant by more characters?
Not counting any of the projected fireflies, TBA has 27.
8 Movie characters
19 New Critter Characters (including the Armadillo and the two frog characters at the beginning)

Splash is harder to count, but only 6 of the characters appear more than once. The geese, for instance, are different characters from each other. So that should be 68 - 18 (reappearances), leaving around 50 distinct characters at WDW. Even more would be present at DL.

In the Parks
No
Not counting any of the projected fireflies, TBA has 27.
8 Movie characters
19 New Critter Characters (including the Armadillo and the two frog characters at the beginning)

Splash is harder to count, but only 6 of the characters appear more than once. The geese, for instance, are different characters from each other. So that should be 68 - 18 (reappearances), leaving around 50 distinct characters at WDW. Even more would be present at DL.
Anyone who counts the fireflies for anything is trying to make the ride better than it is. Even counting the statues of the armadillo and the frogs seems wrong. Might as well count the lily pads and rocks.

mickEblu

Anyone who counts the fireflies for anything is trying to make the ride better than it is. Even counting the statues of the armadillo and the frogs seems wrong. Might as well count the lily pads and rocks.

Also the notion that Splash having more reoccurring (AA Geese) characters would somehow be a point of advantage for TBA is odd to say the least. Is that what Len was getting at? Why would that matter on a theme park ride? I thought he might have been counting the characters on screen. My brain never went there until Oswald’s reply. I didn’t even know any of them were in there more than once. They were just charming animals that made the scenes feel lively and they did more than rock back and forth.

lentesta

Premium Member
Also the notion that Splash having more reoccurring (AA Geese) characters would somehow be a point of advantage for TBA is odd to say the least. Is that what Len was getting at? Why would that matter on a theme park ride? I thought he might have been counting the characters on screen. My brain never went there until Oswald’s reply. I didn’t even know any of them were in there more than once. They were just charming animals that made the scenes feel lively and they did more than rock back and forth.

I'm happy to say I'm wrong about the number of characters - that happens.

The thing I'm curious about now is how many significant AAs were in Splash and are now in TBA.

I don't think it'd change my opinion of the ride, and I re-rode yesterday. But just for understanding how ride design works, it might be interesting.

PiratesMansion

I do think it's worth noting that there seems to be a big difference in reception to TBA from those who have actually ridden it vs. those who have only watched the POV.

Now I'm sure there's a fair number of modern Disney simps among those riders, but surely not everyone who has ridden it would fit in that category, right?

(Incidentally, I have not watched and will not watch the pov prior to riding.)

mickEblu

I'm happy to say I'm wrong about the number of characters - that happens.

The thing I'm curious about now is how many significant AAs were in Splash and are now in TBA.

I don't think it'd change my opinion of the ride, and I re-rode yesterday. But just for understanding how ride design works, it might be interesting.

If we’re going by “significant” then that number favors Splash even more especially at Disneyland. Did you consider all those Geese, gator, fox, pig and dog AAs significant? I did. They were actual animatronics. Do any of the new critter figures on TBA qualify? If not, TBA has what, 10-12 animatronics?

Figments Friend

img223.jpg
Excellent observation, TP.

My educated guess is Disney notes the start of AAs to begin with the Enchanted Tiki Room as this was the first time Audio Animatronic figures were used to perform a staged show.

-

Figments Friend

I do think it's worth noting that there seems to be a big difference in reception to TBA from those who have actually ridden it vs. those who have only watched the POV.

Now I'm sure there's a fair number of modern Disney simps among those riders, but surely not everyone who has ridden it would fit in that category, right?

(Incidentally, I have not watched and will not watch the pov prior to riding.)
Agree

One needs to ride in person to get a real sense of the settings.

I might not be overly keen on what has been revealed thus far, and I certainly disagree with the prior Attraction being removed.
Despite this, I do know something like this needs to be seen in person before passing final judgement.

-

TP2000

Okay, gang, I counted them. Here's what I came up with. I counted any character I could see that had movement, even if it was just a little head bob or arm wave or pop-up movement. For the count on Tiana, I used Disney's own official POV video they released, because I figured they would want to show every AA they could.

WDW Splash Mountain = 60 Audio Animatronic Characters

WDW Tiana's Bayou Adventure = 41 Audio Animatronic Characters

I will say though, watching the Splash Mountain video that was taken just before it closed at WDW was painful. That ride was looking AWFUL when it finally closed, and there's no telling if a few AA's were missing entirely by that point. It was always less populated than the Disneyland version, but due to the bad maintenance or outright neglect, it looked like junk in WDW in its final years. :(

Last edited:

TP2000

I haven't counted the Disneyland numbers of all of the AA's on Splash Mountain, but I did just look at two key scenes; the entry to the show building with the singing geese, and the big Showboat finale' room. Here's how DL stacks up against WDW with the old Splash Mountain rides.

WDW Splash Mountain = 5 AA Geese
Disneyland Splash Mountain = 10 AA Geese

WDW Splash Mountain Finale' Room = 19 AA Characters
Disneyland Splash Mountain Finale' Room = 30 Characters

WDW Splash Mountain Showboat Set = 15 AA Characters
Disneyland Splash Mountain Showboat Set = 18 AA Characters

TP2000

The way they have all the critters set up in the bayou scenes feel so unnatural.

It really does.

Tiana needs a band because her incompetent husband and Louis forgot to book one. So she puts on her jodhpurs and hand-woven cloche hat and goes walking through the bayou, where she and Louis immediately find four groupings of very talented and well-rehearsed animal musicians already formed into bands who will willingly work her party gig. Done!

Now let's go to the Welcome Party and sing a song about how special you are for simply showing up. Exit to your left.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom