Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Professortango1

Years after frozens retheme , its wait times and popularity are still far above what it replaced. Navi, while not a replacement is still wonderful in most people eyes with consistent high wait times.

MMRR is another story
I think Navi has the benefit of being in a park that is pretty limited in quality attractions (not a fan of KRR and I find Everest to be good but not great) and even more limited in terms of indoor attractions. It is also located in the "new" land which is the only fantastical area currently in DAK.

Do I think we will see a change once Indy and Encanto come on board....maybe? If they drive up attendance, probably not much because people will naturally spread out to other areas. If attendance stays about the same, then I could see NRJ's lines getting shorter if there are better indoor attractions available elsewhere in the park.

Frozen is Frozen. The IP just attracts numbers and the ride itself is pretty to look at. For families with small kids, its like watching an Illumination movie. The parents might not like it or might enjoy it because their kid does. I remember a mom trying to tell me how great the Garfield movie was years ago. I think something happens to parents where they get a lot less critical of "cute" entertainment aimed at kids.

Rich T

Years after frozens retheme , its wait times and popularity are still far above what it replaced. Navi, while not a replacement is still wonderful in most people eyes with consistent high wait times.

MMRR is another story
I’d like to know what percentage of people who ride either of them actually thought they were worth the time and/or effort to ride.

My opinion is that the only reason Navi RJ has long lines is because the park only has a handful of rides, and anyone visiting AK for possibly the only time in their lives is going to want to experience both Pandora attractions.

It’s all atmosphere. It’s like the ride version of an Enya song. If AK had more attractions and NRJ was a walk-on bit of relaxation, I’d probably enjoy it as part of the overall mix.

Totally agree about MMRR.

Brer Oswald

I'm probably the only one out there who actually liked NRJ, and I imagine having a FP+ that allowed me to skip most of the wait is undoubtedly a big part of the reason.

But yeah, Animal Kingdom has like nine rides, so it isn't difficult for queues to form. Makes the relative failure of Dinosaur all the more pronounced.
Dinosaur is no Indy, but I think it’s better than Navi. Ironically, TBA looks like Dinosaur and Navi had a baby on the corpse of Splash Mountain.

Brer Oswald

I didn't include those because you either don't get wet (Small World) or barely get wet or not at all depending on where you sit (Pirates). I was just referencing rides where the main point is to get splashed and/or soaked on a warm day.

If we add in DCA, you add another 10 Million to the attendance figures for both parks combined. It's not flattering at all that the entirety of the Disneyland Resort with upwards of 30 Million annual visitors has only two water rides where you get splashed on a warm day.

Disneyland Resort: 28 Million annual attendance, two water rides (Tiana's Bayou Adventure, Grizzly Rapids)
Knott's Berry Farm: 4 Million annual attendance, two water rides (Timber Mountain Log Ride, Calico Rapids)

Disneyland Resort = 14 Million visitors per water ride
Knott's Berry Farm = 2 Million visitors per water ride

So Tiana is going to have a long line at Disneyland any time the temperature is above 60 degrees.. Or if you are Canadian, any time the temperature is above 50 degrees (or whatever that temp is in their special Canadian numbers they use up there).
10 degrees Celsius. I’m not sure I’ve ever been on the Disneyland version while it was that cool out. Definitely went on the Florida one when it was a lot colder (3 degrees Celsius).

mlayton144

I'm probably the only one out there who actually liked NRJ, and I imagine having a FP+ that allowed me to skip most of the wait is undoubtedly a big part of the reason.

But yeah, Animal Kingdom has like nine rides, so it isn't difficult for queues to form. Makes the relative failure of Dinosaur all the more pronounced.

My entire family loves Navi - it’s a wonderful escape to another world. Don’t need a plot to appreciate it. Would I wait 45 minutes for it - no, but I wouldn’t wait 45 minutes for any ride unless it was new and I had no other option. Just like with frozen , People do have a choice to ride or not , or visit a park or not for that matter, and they continue to line up .

TP2000

On the flip side, a lot of locals seem to be scared of getting wet. Maybe they melt like the wicked witch? I think this will get long lines in the summer, and non existent lines in the Winter (as opposed to the Florida version which is pretty balanced all year long).

Agreed. Anaheim can get downright cold from November thru February.

Especially in November and December when the temps drop very fast from October and the sun sets by 5pm each day.

Which is why it's silly to open this ride in December anyway from a park capacity perspective. It will break down a lot the first few months like all new rides do, and by 4pm in late December it's going to be 54 degrees and dropping fast towards a low of 39 to 43. Splash Mountain at Christmastime after 5pm was often a walk-on, even on the busiest days when the park was packed.

So for goshsakes, abandon any plan to open Disneyland's Tiana ride this Christmas, and instead take 6 months to fix the mess WDI created for themselves and open it next May instead, as part of the 70th Anniversary campaign.

TP2000

Agreed. There's not much to be gained by comparing wait times at DAK to Disneyland because of the massive difference in those two park's roster of attractions.

For those keeping score at home:

Animal Kingdom = 14 Million annual visitors; 8 rides, 5 are E Tickets (Navi River Journey is a D Ticket imho)
Disneyland Park = 18 Million annual visitors; 47 rides, 13 are E Tickets

SuddenStorm

Agreed. Anaheim can get downright cold from November thru February.

Especially in November and December when the temps drop very fast from October and the sun sets by 5pm each day.

Which is why it's silly to open this ride in December anyway from a park capacity perspective. It will break down a lot the first few months like all new rides do, and by 4pm in late December it's going to be 54 degrees and dropping fast towards a low of 39 to 43. Splash Mountain at Christmastime after 5pm was often a walk-on, even on the busiest days when the park was packed.

So for goshsakes, abandon any plan to open Disneyland's Tiana ride this Christmas, and instead take 6 months to fix the mess WDI created for themselves and open it next May instead, as part of the 70th Anniversary campaign.

This ride is the perfect example of Disney shooting themselves in the foot and burning millions while they're at it.

And now if they want their new ride to have any semblance of the quality of what it's replacing- they have to burn even more cash.

All while their film division is producing flop after flop.

Rich T

On the flip side, a lot of locals seem to be scared of getting wet. Maybe they melt like the wicked witch? I
No, they just don’t enjoy getting so ridiculously soaked on a theme park ride that their clothes, shoes and socks remain wet for the rest of the day.

It was not an intentional design feature of DL’s Splash Mtn. The soakings arrived with the redesigned, non-bench seating logs.

SuddenStorm

Delay six month, and just fix the lift hill, laughing place and put characters back in. Someone go dumpster diving at Disneyland for me. I'll fix it myself.

Heck, @mickEblu and I will join you! Disney wouldn't even have to pay us if it means bringing back Splash in all its glory.

I know nothing about animatronic installation and programming, or designing and building sets, but I'm willing to learn!

#SaveSplash

TP2000

Heck, @mickEblu and I will join you! Disney wouldn't even have to pay us if it means bringing back Splash in all its glory.

I know nothing about animatronic installation and programming, or designing and building sets, but I'm willing to learn!

#SaveSplash

Can I host and cater the Friday afternoon Beer N' Barbecue Party each week after work is completed?

And during the week, if I could just have a lawn chair to sit in and say stuff like "You know, on America Sings the frogs had little hats on. You should put some hats on those guys, that'd be cute...", I would really appreciate it.

You don't even have to listen to me, just let me sit there and kind of ramble around to myself, knowing if you just let me talk there's a decent barbecue waiting for us on Friday afternoons.

mickEblu

I think the bayou is another area where they took the “authentic” thing too far and forgot to make it fun. Where is the whimsy and world building? We have flora and fauna that are authentic to the bayou but where are all the critters homes? Where are the boats? They have instruments so why would the other stuff be so unbelievable? Why are they just playing in the middle of a dark bayou with nothing else around? This isn’t the kind of ride to be focusing on atmospheric stuff. You’re also a solid 5 minutes in at this point. You are in the meat of the adventure and not in the set up anymore.

Budget? Ineptitude? Trying to be more faithful to the source material the once instance they shouldn’t have?

Am I wrong or are those first few scenes just AA’s, grass, trees, background projections and a shack or two?

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

No, they just don’t enjoy getting so ridiculously soaked on a theme park ride that their clothes, shoes and socks remain wet for the rest of the day.

It was not an intentional design feature of DL’s Splash Mtn. The soakings arrived with the redesigned, non-bench seating logs.
And I don’t think any of that is changing with the retheme. The logs look exactly the same, minus the rabbit.

SuddenStorm

And it got even worse in 2018ish when they rebuilt the dip drop.

I wonder if Splash would have been more popular had they address the soaking issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom