Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

CaptinEO

Nemo was my first big attraction disappointment. I was looking forward to it and even passed up on free tickets to the park to instead take advantage of my early entry with the hotel. After still waiting 75 minutes to see it, I felt like I should have taken the free ticket as the ride was not worth $100.
That is rough. I was in the park the month that opened and a friend was talking to a CM for a while just chatting and they hit it off so well the CM gave us those paper fastpasses good for any ride.

We skipped a 4 hour line and waited maybe 5 minutes and even I felt like my time was wasted. It's just the movie with the same dialogue and animation with only a couple physical props thrown in.

mlayton144

Nemo was my first big attraction disappointment. I was looking forward to it and even passed up on free tickets to the park to instead take advantage of my early entry with the hotel. After still waiting 75 minutes to see it, I felt like I should have taken the free ticket as the ride was not worth $100.
Playing devils advocate - For all the negative Nellie’s out there, do you think this social media negativity will in any way hurt the theme parks ? I’m betting no

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I caved and watched the POV yesterday. The avalanche of bad reviews left me feeling like I wouldn’t be ruining anything.

This sounds hyperbolic, but TBA is so bad that I’ve lost my faith in Imagineering. It seems they’ve (willingly) let go of too much institutional knowledge and are simply no longer capable of building “Disney”-caliber attractions. Their best years are behind them.

I feel foolish for having defended this project. Tiana replacing Splash is insulting to the intelligence of its audience. Speaking subjectively, this is the worst Disney parks change in my lifetime.

TP2000

The WDI research trip thing just astounds me more with every new HD video of this ride that comes out.

Here's a clip from a YouTube video bragging about all the "research trips" that Imagineers took to New Orleans over several years to get the feel right for the set design and graphics and architecture and culture in this ride, just for those who don't believe they actually wasted spent tons of money on this kind of stuff for a log ride.

But the ride itself is so bland and basic. There's really no representation of New Orleans on the ride at all until the finale' scene at the Welcome Party. Almost the entire ride is set in a cartoony bayou with extremely happy animal musicians. But in the finale' you finally arrive in New Orleans for about 20 seconds, and it looks like this...

Architecture Of Room Service.jpg

What the heck? That's the most generically "New Orleans" looking set design I've ever seen. Almost as if AI did it for them. Or they took an old WDW postcard from Port Orleans Moderate Resort and told their set designers "do this, please".

There was absolutely no reason to ever leave Glendale just to create that. If I were Bob Iger or Josh D'Amaro, after I saw the interiors of Tiana's Bayou Adventure I would be asking the accounting department to pull every single receipt from every single "research trip" that Imagineers took to New Orleans and begin an audit. Then I'd begin either disciplining, or perhaps terminating, those who wasted time and money and jet fuel going to New Orleans repeatedly to create.... that.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

The research trip thing just astounds me more with every new HD video of this ride that comes out. Here's a clip from a YouTube video bragging about all the "research trips" that Imagineers took to New Orleans over several years to get the feel right for the set design and graphics and architecture and culture in this ride, just for those who don't believe they actually wasted spent tons of money on this kind of stuff for a log ride.

But the ride itself is so bland and basic. There's really no representation of New Orleans on the ride at all until the finale' scene at the Welcome Party. Almost the entire ride is set in a cartoony bayou with extremely happy animal musicians. But in the finale' you finally arrive in New Orleans for about 20 seconds, and it looks like this...

View attachment 789527

What the heck? That's the most generically "New Orleans" looking set design I've ever seen. Almost as if AI did it for them. Or they took an old WDW postcard from Port Orleans Moderate Resort and told their set designers "do this, please".

There was absolutely no reason to ever leave Glendale just to create that. If I were Bob Iger or Josh D'Amaro, after I saw the interiors of Tiana's Bayou Adventure I would be asking the accounting department to pull every single receipt from every single "research trip" that Imagineers took to New Orleans and begin an audit. Then I'd begin either disciplining, or perhaps terminating, those who wasted time and money and jet fuel going to New Orleans repeatedly to create.... that.

You were right all along. I thought you were exaggerating for comedic effect.

I gave WDI and Disney PR the benefit of the doubt and let them fool me into thinking this attraction might transcend WDI's recent antiseptic princess attractions in favor of a more ambitious experience that incorporates real-world Black art and culture into the Disneyland universe in an exciting, family-friendly way.

Instead it's Teletubbies set in the "bayou."

Go find Charita's NOLA receipts, Bob!

Professortango1

Playing devils advocate - For all the negative Nellie’s out there, do you think this social media negativity will in any way hurt the theme parks ? I’m betting no
Not overall. However, I do notice that the opinion of Disneyland in my workforce is very much "Oh, THAT place? Its always way too crowded and too expensive."

This is purely anecdotal, but I do think the "declining by degrees" aspect of the parks has impacted how the general audience views the parks. The charm and quality has dipped, which makes the park into something cute to take the kids to. But they don't charge "something cute to take the kids to" prices nor deliver an experience that makes that easy on parents.

I know my last few visits were all to say goodbye to classic attractions and rarely do I just visit on a whim anymore. Part of it is I am older and have other interests. Part of it is reservations and hating that nonsense. But a huge part is also the ticket price vs the quality of the product. I've been feeling that Disney itch, but with Splash and HM down and many other beloved attractions downgraded, I just have less and less reasons to spend $150 plus parking.

So to come back to your question, I don't think social media negativity will be measurable in a vacuum. But I think we are looking at erosion and every time Disney waters down their product, a little more of that foundation will crumble away.

My friends with kids take them to Universal or Knotts now. And they were diehard AP holders for years. So when these kids grow up, they will associate Knotts and Universal with their childhood and want to share that with their kids. Disney is being slowly removed from the equation for many folks.

TP2000

You were right all along. I thought you were exaggerating for comedic effect.

No need for exaggeration when their own words and public statements are so grandly puffed up.

There's a balcony terrace in the finale' scene that is wrought iron with old timey lamps and Mardi Gras beads. I wonder what the bar tab in the Ritz-Carlton lobby cocktail lounge was like to get this immersive design in place?

Wrought Iron.jpg

Go find Charita's NOLA receipts, Bob!

Honestly, it's not a bad idea. When a WDW Moderate Resort from 1988 called Port Orleans looks just as immersive as your ultra hyped new E Ticket after frequent "research trips" in 2024, there's clearly a problem.

disney-s-port-orleans.jpg

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I'll tell you one thing, gang...

If I don't get at least a half dozen little girls wearing clunky jodhpurs and hand woven cloche hats on my doorstep this Halloween, I'm going to be furious! :mad:

2023-princess-tiana-essence-fest-new-orleans-new-look-revealed-2.png

Completely bewildering. Tolkien would blush at WDI's world-building for this attraction, but it was all in service of THIS story?? We're inviting critter musicians to a party? Every aspect of this attraction was a complete miscalculation from the start.

mlayton144

Not overall. However, I do notice that the opinion of Disneyland in my workforce is very much "Oh, THAT place? Its always way too crowded and too expensive."

This is purely anecdotal, but I do think the "declining by degrees" aspect of the parks has impacted how the general audience views the parks. The charm and quality has dipped, which makes the park into something cute to take the kids to. But they don't charge "something cute to take the kids to" prices nor deliver an experience that makes that easy on parents.

I know my last few visits were all to say goodbye to classic attractions and rarely do I just visit on a whim anymore. Part of it is I am older and have other interests. Part of it is reservations and hating that nonsense. But a huge part is also the ticket price vs the quality of the product. I've been feeling that Disney itch, but with Splash and HM down and many other beloved attractions downgraded, I just have less and less reasons to spend $150 plus parking.

So to come back to your question, I don't think social media negativity will be measurable in a vacuum. But I think we are looking at erosion and every time Disney waters down their product, a little more of that foundation will crumble away.

My friends with kids take them to Universal or Knotts now. And they were diehard AP holders for years. So when these kids grow up, they will associate Knotts and Universal with their childhood and want to share that with their kids. Disney is being slowly removed from the equation for many folks.
Good analysis , what you say is interesting, so it begs the question of who is Disneys target demographic? I’m guessing you are or were a AP. Disney has already said in so many words that is not their target. I would argue it’s what’s Florida is now , rather than Disneyland has been. Target vacationers with money (upper middle class) to spend a week on hotel, parks, and dining, not the person that visits 20 times a year who will continually look at things with a discerning eye. The little details and legacy of quality in the parks will not be the priority. I believe this is where universal is also going with vacationers being the target. I will say again , they absolutely must fix the studios above all else because that is what drives all else. Create a franchise that will trickle down to a good parks experience. The same problem with TBA is also what’s wrong with the studios , a dumbing down and afraid to take risks to capture imagination of people

TP2000

We're inviting critter musicians to a party?

Not only that, but we will find no hassle or problem of any kind getting the animals to play for us, or getting to the party.

Every animal we meet is highly talented, very friendly, and thrilled to leave their bayou and go play Tiana's Welcome Party gig for free. The animals even already have a well rehearsed repertoire, with no further work required. No one will try to stop us, no physical or emotional roadblock will be placed in our way during our "adventure". And once we safely and confidently arrive at the Welcome Party we will find a smiling throng of well dressed and healthy and very happy people (and even happier animals) to celebrate with us. Nothing was ever a problem, and everything went very smoothly.

With the exception of It's A Small World, which is a ride made for a World's Fair about children singing together in world peace, I can not think of any other Disney theme park dark ride that never has a villain or a single element of fear or danger or conflict. Much less a dark ride that is a lavishly funded E Ticket thrill ride with a height requirement.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure has perhaps the most pointless and bland story ever told by Disney. For over 12 minutes!

Last edited:

Professortango1

Good analysis , what you say is interesting, so it begs the question of who is Disneys target demographic? I’m guessing you are or were a AP. Disney has already said in so many words that is not their target. I would argue it’s what’s Florida is now , rather than Disneyland has been. Target vacationers with money (upper middle class) to spend a week on hotel, parks, and dining, not the person that visits 20 times a year who will continually look at things with a discerning eye. The little details and legacy of quality in the parks will not be the priority. I believe this is where universal is also going with vacationers being the target. I will say again , they absolutely must fix the studios above all else because that is what drives all else. Create a franchise that will trickle down to a good parks experience. The same problem with TBA is also what’s wrong with the studios , a dumbing down and afraid to take risks to capture imagination of people
I used to have an AP but went to Day Tickets about 10-12 years ago. I also visit WDW and had trips planned to overseas parks for Day Tickets. Outside of someone paying VIP Tour pricing, I was giving Disney a pretty solid dollar for my entertainment. No bundling discounts here, they get to charge the full rate. And that rate is not really worth it anymore, in my opinion.

SuddenStorm

The WDI research trip thing just astounds me more with every new HD video of this ride that comes out.

Here's a clip from a YouTube video bragging about all the "research trips" that Imagineers took to New Orleans over several years to get the feel right for the set design and graphics and architecture and culture in this ride, just for those who don't believe they actually wasted spent tons of money on this kind of stuff for a log ride.

View attachment 789527

Wait- that kid playing the drums was advertised as well. And he's just a background character for half a second.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Not only that, but we will find no hassle or problem of any kind getting the animals to play for us, or getting to the party.

Every animal we meet is highly talented, very friendly, and thrilled to leave their bayou and go play Tiana's Welcome Party gig for free. The animals even already have a well rehearsed repertoire, with no further work required. No one will try to stop us, no physical or emotional roadblock will be placed in our way during our "adventure". And once we safely and confidently arrive at the Welcome Party we will find a smiling throng of well dressed and healthy and very happy people (and even happier animals) to celebrate with us. Nothing was ever a problem, and everything went very smoothly.

It's asinine.

"Let's join Louis up ahead and find some musicians for our party."

"Tiana wasn't kidding, y'all. This zydeco band can play. Hallelujah!"

"They can play! No doubt. We'll ask them to join the party for sure."

"My my, this band can jam!"

"They sure can play! But we gotta keep searching high and low."

Preschoolers will love it.

SuddenStorm

It's asinine.

"Let's join Louis up ahead and find some musicians for our party."

"Tiana wasn't kidding, y'all. This zydeco band can play. Hallelujah!"

"They can play! No doubt. We'll ask them to join the party for sure."

"My my, this band can jam!"

"They sure can play! But we gotta keep searching high and low."

Preschoolers will love it.

What's weird is how insulting this is to their audience.

Does Disney think so little of their fans that this is the level of writing they think they need for us to comprehend the attraction?

There's no subtlety, it's just hitting us over the head with plot. Tiana doesn't exist as a character- she exists as a narrator for plot exposition.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Does Disney think so little of their fans that this is the level of writing they think they need for us to comprehend the attraction?

"Hey friends! I know it looks like I've been captured, but I'm going to play a little trick on Br'er Fox."

"Hey again! So, about that trick I mentioned. Did you know I live in the briar patch? Don't forget that factoid!"

"Hi all you beautiful people! So remember how I said I live in the briar patch? Well, believe it or not, I'm going to beg Br'er Fox not to throw me into the briar patch! Crazy, huh? Stay tuned for more plot description!"

"Howdy again, y'all. Eagle-eyed riders might recall I'm planning to play a little trick on Br'er Fox. Well ya see, we critters have a little concept known as reverse psychology..."

-Splash Mountain, 2024

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom