Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Not all girls dream of being princesses. Oh my goodness, I am so glad we live in a world where that’s not the only option.

Escape can mean many things. It can mean adventuring into a bayou to find something for your restaurant—the restaurant that was one heroine’s dream through an entire animated film.

Look… I will throw up in my mouth a bit if the co-op backstory is anything besides an easily ignored queue detail that Disney PR for some reason thinks is a major selling point. But until that happens, I’m going to keep hoping for the best for this ride, because I do like these characters.
Not saying it's the only option, but they watch them on TV and go to Disneyland to meet them in person. When they get on TBA (or see the non-princess version at the restaurant) and see a woman they don't even recognize, they shouldn't have to have their parents explain a backstory as to why she looks different. Remember, I'm talking about little kids who probably have watched the movie, but aren't old enough to capture the story points at the end.

At least when you ride an attraction about any other princess they look recognizable. That's what kids want to see. I know many of you think this is "progress", but it's a theme park. It doesn't need to be so heavy-handed. Kids will remember singing animals and princesses waving at them. Not everything needs to be a story-driven adventure. THAT is why I liked Splash so much. Turn off my brain, look at the singing animals, and get wet.

I too hope for the best, but from what I see from Disney lately makes me skeptical. Others too. For now, I'm going to eat the Crumbl cookie someone at work just handed me. :)

Rich T

… I'm talking about little kids who probably have watched the movie, but aren't old enough to capture the story points at the end….
I’m pretty sure that if they meet the height requirement in the first place and aren’t freaked out by the drops, they’re going to have a great time on TBA without a care in the world about what adult theme park fans thought about the ride’s development.
…I too hope for the best, but from what I see from Disney lately makes me skeptical. Others too. For now, I'm going to eat the Crumbl cookie someone at work just handed me. :)
Apple Vision Pro keeps recommending its Crumbl Cookie app to me. Are they that good? I might have to cave and try ordering cookies in VR. 😃

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm still unclear on why they think turning glamorous Princess Tiana into sporty Bayou Adventurer Tiana is a good idea from a marketing and merchandising perspective. It seems obvious to me which of these two characters a 6 year old girl would want to emulate and watch in a movie or ride;

FALSE DICHOTOMY

You present this false choice between one or the other, when, in fact there will be both... or more.

Tiana already exists in the park in her full princess gown. And also as a flapper in the stage show.

Where was your high dudgeon and absolutely sincere concern for little girls being presented with flapper-Tiana?

Oh, those poor dears exposed to Tiana as a flapper. These little girls have no concern for fashion... or dancing... or music. All that these little girls want is a princess in a gown doing nothing but waving!!

Give me a break. This is one of your more egregious manufactured moral panics.

Tiana in sporting gear doesn't mean they're taking princess-gown-Tiana and flapper-Tiana out of the parks. Pincess-gown-Tiana will still be visible in parades and meet-and-greets and projected onto the castle for HEA.

Where's your concern for all the little girls of the world who can meet Belle in a peasant outfit rather than her ballroom gown? Or your concern for little girls who have thrust upon them Ariel as half fish in the parks rather than in her royal gown? Or their exposure to Moana or Pocahontas who don't even have a princess gown?

BTW, you don't get to speak for all the little girls of the world.

Or little boys.

Homemade Imagineering

IMG_5003.jpeg
From yesterday

celluloid

FALSE DICHOTOMY

You present this false choice between one or the other, when, in fact there will be both... or more.

Tiana already exists in the park in her full princess gown. And also as a flapper in the stage show.

Where was your high dudgeon and absolutely sincere concern for little girls being presented with flapper-Tiana?

Oh, those poor dears exposed to Tiana as a flapper. These little girls have no concern for fashion... or dancing... or music. All that these little girls want is a princess in a gown doing nothing but waving!!

Tiana in sporting gear doesn't mean they're taking princess-gown-Tiana and flapper-Tiana out of the parks. Pincess-gown-Tiana will still be visible in parades and meet-and-greets and projected onto the castle for HEA.

Where's your concern for all the little girls of the world who can meet Belle in a peasant outfit rather than her ballroom gown? Or your concern for little girls who have thrust upon them Ariel as half fish in the parks rather than in her royal gown? Or their exposure to Moana or Pocahontas who don't even have a princess gown?

Or little boys.

He did not say it was impossible. He is bringing up the focus. The attraction on this rustic ride has always had a focus of Tiana in adventure khakis and pith helmet fashion.

While no one is a monolith, you better believe it is a safe bet on which one most little girls will want to emulate and which one sells better.

Poster never said that everyone will dislike it. He just said it is obvious to him what they would.

Calm down.

Funny you talk about a panic with someone else.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He did not say it was impossible. He is bringing up the focus. The attraction on this rustic ride has always had a focus of Tiana in adventure khakis and pith helmet fashion.

While no one is a monolith, you better believe it is a safe bet on which one most little girls will want to emulate and which one sells better.

Poster never said that everyone will dislike it. He just said it is obvious to him what they would.

Calm down.

Funny you talk about a panic with someone else.
What I said stands. Especially in regard to the one I was responding to.

Consumer

Thanks. I looked quickly and misunderstood what I was seeing. The rocks looked less red, and so I thought they may have been painted, but the finish on them is clearly not new.
I hope they get painted. It'd be pretty strange to have a several month long refurb and not touch up the exterior's paint.

mickEblu

FALSE DICHOTOMY

Or little boys.

All of the variants of the characters you mentioned are from their original films unlike this adventure outfit Tiana and are represented as such in parades, meet n greets and attractions at the parks. Unlike whatever experiment they re doing with TBA and Tiana.

LittleBuford

All of the variants of the characters you mentioned are from their original films unlike this adventure outfit Tiana and are represented as such in parades, meet n greets and attractions at the parks. Unlike whatever experiment they re doing with TBA and Tiana.
His question still stands, though. Why did Tiana’s flapper outfit (which isn’t in the film) not cause such fuss?

mickEblu

His question still stands, though. Why did Tiana’s flapper outfit (which isn’t in the film) not cause such fuss?

Well FWIW when that outfit was unveiled that was the first time I used the “is that Tiana or Tiana’s mom” joke. Also made a reference to the face character looking older and more like Harriet Winslow from Family Matters.

J4546

its kinda weird there are grown men on here upset that tiana isnt portrayed as a helpless princess needing to be rescued, and instead is being potrayed as an ambitious self reliant woman following her dreams....just like she was portrayed in the movies.

Acting like all young girls want to be princesses and you cant see them any other way......some of you old men are weird.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

its kinda weird there are grown men on here upset that tiana isnt portrayed as a helpless princess needing to be rescued like so many others, and is being potrayed as an ambitious self reliant woman following her dreams....just like she was portrayed in the movies.

Acting like all young girls want to be princesses and you cant see them any other way......some of you old men are weird.
I agree with your point about the weirdness of the current discussion but not with your characterisation of the Disney princesses more generally. Most of them really don't fall into the insipid damsel-in-distress category.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom