Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

Of course it’s going to have glowing reviews when it opens from the masses and over half of the folks here because people miss their flume ride and it’s still fun and their will be shiny new AAs + some nice lighting/ projections. And because most people (especially if they re a fan) WANT to like what they re spending a lot of their time/ money/ energy on. But I’m not talking about pleasing kids and the masses. I’m talking about Modern Disney matching the quality of the amazing work that came before them. Sadly, the chances of that happening are impossibile for many reasons. I suspect we’ll also hear a lot of “Splash was better but Tiana is a lot fun” type of comments as well.

No matter how much crap I talk here, at the end of the day when I ride TBA with my son I’ll want it to be the best experience possible and will give it a chance. Then I’m sure I’ll get off and have a list of things that worked and didn’t work while ultimately coming to the conclusion that it’s no Splash Mountain.

The POTC’s, HM’s and Splash Mountains of the world aren’t going to beat under the best of conditions but especially not by these people in this climate with these priorities. So how excited can one get for a downgrade? All that’s left to decide is how much of a downgrade we’re talking about.

Last edited:

TP2000

Here's my main concern with this latest batch of news from WDI...

They are handling the messaging and communication about this project too casually and too amateurishly. That latest TikTok thing or whatever it was showing this expensive signature AA under warehouse lighting was just the latest flub. It's starting to worry me, because they seem to be approaching this whole project with a cavalier attitude.

Like it's "good enough" under fluorescents, and aren't we clever and cute for showing you how clever and cute we are?!? :banghead:

This is the ONLY thing WDI is currently building in all six American theme parks combined. It's all they've got. They need to tighten up the communications and messaging on this project ASAP! Don't show any animatronic or set piece in anything but the most flattering light. Best to show nothing than to show something mediocre or odd. And the next time they have an announcement to make about this ride, fine tune that sucker until it's perfect and pristine! Not a single blade of grass out of alignment, not a single unsmiling face, and filter the crap out of every image you release if you have to.

But enough of the casual "Look What I Can Do!" messaging on this project. Tighten it up and nail it down, and stop with the casual throwaway vids on Social Media. Because right now, they're embarrassing themselves with their ONLY active project in six American theme parks that are now keeping the entire Company afloat.

Rich T

Well a lot of people liked those “build a bear bunnies.” They have big shoes to fill and so far doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen.

They can make it work in whatever context they want. It doesn’t mean it’s what the people want or that it’s a good decision. Just working isn’t as good as knocking it out of the park.
That’s what I mean: People liked the rabbit despite it not looking like the film character.

I think it’s important to remember that DL’s version of Splash had a lot of issues. Broken show elements aside, the story was nearly incoherent due to the logs traveling so quickly through the scenes, and the ride system always felt clunky (which I’m not expecting to change) compared to nearly ever other flume in existence, especially compared to WDW’s version.

BUT… it worked anyway, and was a very fun, uplifting experience, and I believe that was 70% due to its absolutely fantastic soundtrack.

I’m hoping TBA is a great ride, because I like to see artists and engineers create amazing things. If they actually do botch this (It could have worked SO WELL if they’d simply stuck with the PatF movie plot and villain), then it’ll be, for me, just another item on the long list of why I’m no longer a fan of the Walt Disney Company. Its artists, yes. Its founder, yes. The company, no.

Last edited:

Farerb

While I was a huge fan of the riverboat show they did at Disneyland in 2009 for Tiana, and I love the songs from the movie... The facts do remain that the movie was not a big hit. One of the least successful at the box office of the past 15 years. But she's the only Black Princess that they've got, and Bob Iger spoke up in a panic in June, 2020 about making a ride for her when no such ride was even close to being designed, and the rest is history.

But in my opinion, if they are doing a big E Ticket Princess ride for her, they should keep her as the young and glamorous Princess that she was in the modestly successful movie. Making her a career woman at an older age won't get 6 year old girls excited about her. While it may check boxes for the HR executives, it's a merchandising and marketing disaster waiting to happen.
It's sad that the movie wasn't a big hit back then, but I hope it gained more appreciation since then. I actually like it much more than Tangled or Frozen.

ParkPeeker

2d characters are largely defined by their outfits, hair, and voice. She doesn't look like Tiana to many of y'all cause 1, no voice, and 2, she doesn't have the same hair and outfit that has defined her princess look for over a decade. This will look like Tiana to people in the future (I mean even people in a few months cause they'll actually have everything in context with Anika's voice). Like damn y'all, you barely saw 2 silent seconds and y'all are already like 👏 not Tiana.

And, it's amazing what an outfit change can do to make someone seem older.
1708064817475.png
1708064836981.png

Also, that 'ride lighting' photo all of y'all started using to heavily analyze doesn't even have her youthful lashes on. C'mon y'all.
1708065177684.png
1708065155437.png

Anyways, on a serious note, I think she looks fantastic!

Basketbuddy101

Would anyone be surprised if they re-used the face mold for Belle to save money? You can't deny that aside from the nose and mouth, the shape of the heads, down to the round cheeks, are eerily similar. You can't say for certain, but there's a bit of a Hall of Presidents precedent for this kind of thing as well, so who knows?

Belle.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Would anyone be surprised if they re-used the face mold for Belle to save money? You can't deny that aside from the nose and mouth, the shape of the heads, down to the round cheeks, are eerily similar. You can't say for certain, but there's a bit of a Hall of Presidents precedent for this kind of thing as well, so who knows?

View attachment 768728
Yes! I see it!! Belle looks significantly older than she does in the movies. That model certainly does age people.

But why would Imagineering want to make Belle so significantly older?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
2d characters are largely defined by their outfits, hair, and voice. She doesn't look like Tiana to many of y'all cause 1, no voice, and 2, she doesn't have the same hair and outfit that has defined her princess look for over a decade. This will look like Tiana to people in the future (I mean even people in a few months cause they'll actually have everything in context with Anika's voice). Like damn y'all, you barely saw 2 silent seconds and y'all are already like 👏 not Tiana.

And, it's amazing what an outfit change can do to make someone seem older.
View attachment 768716View attachment 768717

Also, that 'ride lighting' photo all of y'all started using to heavily analyze doesn't even have her youthful lashes on. C'mon y'all.
View attachment 768720View attachment 768719

Anyways, on a serious note, I think she looks fantastic!

I'm still waiting (or did I miss it?) for someone to explain how this 3D model looks older.

Looks different than the movie version? Sure, I can see that.

Looks *older*? Please, someone tell me how her facial features are the features of an older woman.

UNCgolf

View attachment 768728

The nose and mouth are so different that I don't think re-using a mold would even be feasible. The chin looks different too.

TP2000

View attachment 768728

I'm just not seeing it. Even adjusting for skin tone, they don't look alike to me at all.

TP2000

It's a good thing Tiana is part of the ride's name. That way everyone knows its her at the beginning regardless of how old/young she looks or what she's wearing. ;)

I'll go on the record saying I prefer her princess look.

I'm still unclear on why they think turning glamorous Princess Tiana into sporty Bayou Adventurer Tiana is a good idea from a marketing and merchandising perspective. It seems obvious to me which of these two characters a 6 year old girl would want to emulate and watch in a movie or ride;

1708064817475-png.768716
1708064836981-png.768717

I mean honestly... johdpurs?!? :rolleyes:

Is this a new strategy for all of the Princesses, or are they just doing this to Tiana for some weird reason? Will we soon see the rest of the Princesses wearing pantsuits in the park? Cinderella heading out on a Target run in Mom Jeans and a floral blouse? Snow White going into the forest wearing sturdy boots, canvas walking shorts, and a utility vest?

This doesn't seem to be an artistic decision based in solid merchandising or marketing skills. And it certainly doesn't seem to be based on the box office results that made Tiana only a modest financial success with audiences to begin with.

Consumer

Is there any actual evidence that little girls (and boys) won’t find Tiana the Adventurer an engaging alternative to Tiana the Princess?
Is there any evidence they will? What's the point of changing an apple to an orange? It's like if they made a Star Wars land that wasn't based off the Original Trilogy - it'd be a disaster. When people want to see their favorite IP's in the park, they want them to be recognizable. That doesn't mean 1:1, but still close enough.

TP2000

Is there any actual evidence that little girls (and boys) won’t find Tiana the Adventurer an engaging alternative to Tiana the Princess?

I doubt there is financial evidence to go on, as I can't think of any instance where Disney has done this to a pre-existing Princess before. Can anyone think of any other character, much less a Princess, who got this type of reworking? I can't.

But what was always clear, and what Bob Iger and his merchandising executives have bragged about for decades, is the incredible strength of their Disney Princess Franchise in the marketplace, with generations of girls one after another going crazy for the concept between the ages of 3 and 8.

Disney built that Multi-Billion $$$ Disney Princess franchise on fancy ball gowns and glass slippers and fabulous hairdos and extra-cost boutique visits as a rite of passage, not on sturdy johdpurs and wash-n-go hairdos.

@ihemehall.xo_-749x1024.png

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The nose and mouth are so different that I don't think re-using a mold would even be feasible. The chin looks different too.
I don't believe the outer skin or mold is the same, but the argument I'm hearing is that they saved money by using the same inner skeletal structure as the Belle animatronic. They of course changed the molded face over the skeletal structure, but it explains why her face is so wide compared to her 2D counterpart.

LittleBuford

I doubt there is financial evidence to go on, as I can't think of any instance where Disney has done this to a pre-existing Princess before. Can anyone think of any other character, much less a Princess, who got this type of reworking?

But what was always clear, and what Bob Iger and his merchandising executives have bragged about for decades, is the incredible strength of their Disney Princess Franchise in the marketplace, with generations of girls one after another going crazy for the concept between the ages of 3 and 8.

Disney built that Multi-Billion $$$ Disney Princess franchise on fancy ball gowns and glass slippers and fabulous hairdos and extra-cost boutique visits as a rite of passage, not on sturdy johdpurs and wash-n-go hairdos.

Haven’t people been complaining that the ride deviates too much from the film? Yet Tiana is much more an adventurer in that film than a princess.

And isn’t Tiana in her adventurer guise a far more fitting character for a bayou log flume than a princess wearing a ball gown? Indeed, one of the most frequent criticisms of the retheme is that Disney is giving us yet another princess ride. It’s strange that the grumbling has now shifted to the avoidance of princess branding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom