Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

Funny you say that, because Tony Baxter walked away from the project because it was too similar to Indiana Jones.

I like to think that Tony was sitting in the fancy conference room in Glendale listening to the overview of the ride, when they got to the dramatic third act and the Imagineering Jr. Exec said in all seriousness "And that's when we reveal that the Missing Secret Ingredient is actually YOU!"

And then Tony quietly got up and left the room, and drove home and sent a resignation email for the second time in his life.

TP2000

Haven’t people been complaining that the ride deviates too much from the film? Yet Tiana is much more an adventurer in that film than a princess.

Is she an adventurer, or a successful business woman who started her own company and then turned it immediately over to the employees and set it up as an Employee-Owned Cooperative? Or is she both? And also an official Disney Princess?

Maybe it's time to pick one thing and just focus on that. My money, based on merchandise sales, would be on the Princess.

And isn’t Tiana in her adventurer guise a far more fitting character for a bayou log flume than a princess wearing a ball gown? Indeed, one of the most frequent criticisms of the retheme is that Disney is giving us yet another princess ride. It’s strange that the grumbling has now shifted to the avoidance of princess branding.

I'm mainly looking forward to all the music from the movie being in the ride, as that riverboat music show they did in 2009 was fabulous and some of the best entertainment Disneyland has done in the 21st century in my opinion.

But I'm also realizing this is the first time they have taken an established Princess and given her a ride where... they make her not be a Princess. She's a business woman, a restauranteur, an adventurer. Has she maybe also taken an Accounting class, I wonder? That could be a fun scene.

Disney makes Billions off of their Disney Princess merchandise franchise. But for the big Tiana E Ticket they're going to throw that away and put the young lady in johdpurs and boxy clothing? Why???

Will they try to sell those johdpurs at the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique? And if they do, how long until there's stacks of unsold johdpurs maked down 80% at the Disney Warehouse in Fullerton?

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I like to think that Tony was sitting in the fancy conference room in Glendale listening to the overview of the ride, when they got to the dramatic third act and the Imagineering Jr. Exec said in all seriousness "And that's when we reveal that the Missing Secret Ingredient is actually YOU!"

And then Tony quietly got up and left the room, and drove home and sent a resignation email for the second time in his life.

Haha. I like to think he once again found himself stuck in traffic on the 5, tasked with fixing several Disneyland (this time, Tiana-related) problems at once, and in a moment of brilliance… turned his car around and drove back to Anaheim Hills. Sent Charita a text: “Sorry y’all, it can’t be done. You’re on your own.”

Jokes aside, I’m somewhat less cynical about TBA than many in this thread. I predict it’ll be a competent albeit somewhat antiseptic 21st-century Disney ride. It won’t be Splash, but it’ll be fine. Even with the slightly off-brand Tiana AA.

LittleBuford

Is she an adventurer, or a successful business woman who started her own company and then turned it immediately over to the employees and set it up as an Employee-Owned Cooperative? Or is she both? And also an official Disney Princess?

Maybe it's time to pick one thing and just focus on that. My money, based on merchandise sales, would be on the Princess.

I'm mainly looking forward to all the music from the movie being in the ride, as that riverboat music show they did in 2009 was fabulous and some of the best entertainment Disneyland has done in the 21st century in my opinion.

But I'm also realizing this is the first time they have taken an established Princess and given her a ride where... they make her not be a Princess. She's a business woman, a restauranteur, an adventurer. Has she maybe also taken an Accounting class, I wonder? That could be a fun scene.

Disney makes Billions off of their Disney Princess merchandise franchise. But for the big Tiana E Ticket they're going to throw that away and put the young lady in johdpurs and boxy clothing? Why???

Will they try to sell those johdpurs at the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique? And if they do, how long until there's stacks of unsold johdpurs maked down 80% at the Disney Warehouse in Fullerton?
Most Disney princesses are much more than just princesses. And Tiana ends her movie very much as both a princess and a businesswoman. Why you would want Disney to flatten these characters—“pick one thing and focus on that”—is beyond me given that the films themselves resolutely avoid such simplistic portrayals of their heroines.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
“pick one thing and focus on that”—is beyond me
A Disney Princess needing a LinkedIn backstory is beyond ME.....and most other people too. Kids (and some adults) go to Disneyland to meet their favorite Disney princess. They don't care if that princess also owns a Co-Op or puts on pants and goes tromping around in salt mines. The whole idea of this attraction is so ridiculous. Nobody cares about a Princess's side hustle.

Rich T

We have Indiana Jones the adventurer down the River. Just let the one Black Princess be a Princess.
There is nothing in the movie to suggest that Tiana would dress like a princess going forward. She lives in America and she wants to open a restaurant. And Naveen has no interest in the lifestyle of Prince-dom, and is now fully into helping Tiana fulfill her dreams. Tiana has survived navigating the swamps as a frog, has befriended a ginormous alligator and defeated an evil magician in a one-on-one battle.

She is among the most interesting heroines Disney’s ever created. I am so glad she’s not stuck forever in a pretty princess dress doing the princess wave for all eternity just to sell dolls. This is one of the few TBA ride reveals I’ve been really glad about so far.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Indiana Jones is searching for ingredients for his restaurant in a bayou? With a talking alligator?
It's called a MacGuffin. Tiana is dressing up like Indiana Jones and searching for a MacGuffin. The details aren't what Tony was talking about.

mickEblu

There is nothing in the movie to suggest that Tiana would dress like a princess going forward. She lives in America and she wants to open a restaurant. And Naveen has no interest in the lifestyle of Prince-dom, and is now fully into helping Tiana fulfill her dreams. Tiana has survived navigating the swamps as a frog, has befriended a ginormous alligator and defeated an evil magician in a one-on-one battle.

She is among the most interesting heroines Disney’s ever created. I am so glad she’s not stuck forever in a pretty princess dress doing the princess wave for all eternity just to sell dolls. This is one of the few TBA ride reveals I’ve been really glad about so far.

Nobody cares what happens after the movie. People want a variation of the story beats/ characters/ songs that they saw/ heard in the movie.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
You're kinda proving my point. 6 year old girls dream about growing up to be princesses, not growing up to be a co-op restauranteer. People go to Disneyland to escape the world into fantasy, not to ride rides about people's occupations and to be edjumacated about the socio-political happenings of the world.

Rich T

Nobody cares what happens after the movie. People want a variation of the story beats/ characters/ songs that they saw/ heard in the movie.
I would have liked that too. But poof, gone. Since they went ahead with ride-as-sequel, I’m pleased they at least stayed consistent with the character’s interests and ambitions.

mickEblu

I would have liked that too. But poof, gone. Since they went ahead with ride-as-sequel, I’m pleased they at least stayed consistent with the character’s interests and ambitions.

Poof gone why though? Because their priorities are all over the place not becasue they re trying to give people what they want and the best experience possible.

LittleBuford

Not sure why that would be a problem. She’d still have 2-3 AAs between the beginning and end of the ride. Regardless, it would be incredibly easy to find a way around the that
I’m not talking about the fact that she would be a frog for most of the ride. I mean that the book-report approach would still fail to solve the princess problem (assuming it’s a problem at all) because the film itself prioritises Tiana the Adventurer and Businesswoman over Tiana the Princess.

Rich T

You're kinda proving my point. 6 year old girls dream about growing up to be princesses, not growing up to be a co-op restauranteer. People go to Disneyland to escape the world into fantasy, not to ride rides about people's occupations and to be edjumacated about the socio-political happenings of the world.
Not all girls dream of being princesses. Oh my goodness, I am so glad we live in a world where that’s not the only option.

Escape can mean many things. It can mean adventuring into a bayou to find something for your restaurant—the restaurant that was one heroine’s dream through an entire animated film.

Look… I will throw up in my mouth a bit if the co-op backstory is anything besides an easily ignored queue detail that Disney PR for some reason thinks is a major selling point. But until that happens, I’m going to keep hoping for the best for this ride, because I do like these characters.

Rich T

Poof gone why though? Because their priorities are all over the place not becasue they re trying to give people what they want and the best experience possible.
Agreed. This is why I’m not a fan of the company in its present state. But I am happy that they’re taking an approach to the Tiana character that’s consistent with her words, actions and personality from the film.

J4546

A Disney Princess needing a LinkedIn backstory is beyond ME.....and most other people too. Kids (and some adults) go to Disneyland to meet their favorite Disney princess. They don't care if that princess also owns a Co-Op or puts on pants and goes tromping around in salt mines. The whole idea of this attraction is so ridiculous. Nobody cares about a Princess's side hustle.
Is it a side hustle or trying to live her dream? I thought the movie she wanted to be a great cook? She's not some helpless princess like most of the others, waiting to be rescued.....I dunno why some people can't get that.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I’m not talking about the fact that she would be a frog for most of the ride. I mean that the book-report approach would still fail to solve the princess problem (assuming it’s a problem at all) because the film itself prioritises Tiana the Adventurer and Businesswoman over Tiana the Princess.

It’s not a problem. Problem solved. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom