Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

To call out dishonest nonsense.

Because he’s now claiming that he never really thought she looked that much older—maybe ten years at most—but was misled by @Disney Irish into making all those jokes comparing her to a senior. And this in spite of the fact that his first post on this topic was to agree wholeheartedly with your “middle-aged soccer mom”. Even a couple of hours, he stated explicitly that she looked “at least 15 years older” than her animated counterpart, but apparently he wrote that while he was still under @Disney Irish’s spell.

😂

Yes, from the info and photos provided as proof by @Disney Irish that this was a purposeful and pre-announced decision by Disney to age Tiana to an older period in her life, that seemed to be the case.

But now we know it was just wild speculation on the part of @Disney Irish that the ride would be taking place in the 1930's and at a different age for Tiana, instead of the 1920's when the movie took place.

Your issue, whatever it might be, does not lie with me, but lies with @Disney Irish and the comments he made two days ago. As it stands now, with the information that has been discussed in the past 24 hours or so, you and I are basically in agreement on how Tiana will be portrayed in the ride and in the park later in 2024.

It will be Tiana circa 1928, not Tiana circa 1938.

But these three comments within a few minutes of each other turned out to be just speculation from @Disney Irish phrased as knowledgeable input that led to confusion two days ago...

Tiana that has been doing the M&G at Tiana's Palace (I believe she still comes around) is also portrayed to be older similar to how she will look in the ride -

tianas-palace-disneyland-tiana-new-outfit-scaled.jpg
That's a weird decision to make from a merchandising and target-audience perspective.

Something tells me the "Older, Wiser, Career Woman with Mom-Hairdo Tiana" merchandise isn't going to sell as well with the target demographic of young girls as the "Young, Pretty, Glamorous, Princess Tiana" merchandise. :oops:
This isn't new information. The attraction announcement since day one has stated to be after the events of the movie, and subsequent information since has come out that its set years after the movie. Even the art work shows Tiana in new outfits and older than the movie. So not sure why this is now a surprise 3+ years later for some.

They will have merch from both the new attraction and from the movie, both iterations of the character.

LittleBuford

That seems to happen often I think as they argue with their perception of the person posting and not the words he/she is actually posting.

Sorry I don’t think Tiana looks good in any of the pics we’ve seen. I agree the hair is the worst offender but it also just doesn’t look like Tiana from the movie.
Come on, you’re better than this. You can see with your own eyes what he wrote. In the space of a few hours, he’s gone from claiming she looks “at least 15 years older” (which is consistent with your position) to saying a few minutes ago that she looks “slightly older” (which is consistent with my position). Those are not consistent statements—at all.

I am quoting his literal words here, so please don’t accuse me of not responding to what people are actually posting.

TP2000

Come on, you’re better than this. You can see with your own eyes what he wrote. In the space of a few hours, he’s gone from claiming she looks “at least 15 years older” (which is consistent with your position) to saying a few minutes ago that she looks “slightly older” (which is consistent with my position). Those are not consistent statements—at all.

I am quoting his literal words here, so please don’t accuse me of not responding to what people are actually posting.

You are quoting my literal words as I read through and commented on a thread I hadn't visited for at least 36 hours.

Just like most of us here, I've gone from "What are they thinking?!? She looks like a Soccer Mom!" with that first unflattering warehouse photo of Tiana on Tuesday afternoon, to by Thursday evening coming to a more nuanced and better informed opinion that they aren't purposely trying to age Tiana by a decade or more and set this ride in the Great Depression (no fun!) instead of the Roaring 20's (fun!).

I've been posting on forums like this for decades. I generally comment as the conversation rolls along as I click through the various pages. I doubt I will change that posting style; teaching old dogs new tricks and all that.

Your issue really does seem to be with @Disney Irish, not me. You and I are of mainly the same opinion when it comes to Tiana in this new ride. At least so far, from what WDI has shown us. But whoever allowed them to debut animatronic Tiana on Social Meida under cheap fluorescent lighting should be given a demerit.

TP2000

You are likely referrring to this from me earlier this afternoon, before I'd realized that @Disney Irish was merely speculating they were purposely aging Tiana and moving her story into the 1930's. Read the whole quote, and it makes some sense, don't you think?

Okay, so now that the grey/gray hair accusations have been sorted out, that begs the question...

Are the designers of this ride/restaurant/story for Disneyland and WDW in fact aging Tiana and her plotline by at least 10 years? Her animatronic and face character look at least 15 years older, but is the story in fact being placed 10+ years in the future? And why?

Just off the top of my head, that would now set Tiana and her story in the mid to late 1930's, the Great Depression in the rural South. If not heading towards the start of World War II in 1939. Is that fun for kids? And why did they do that for the ride and restaurant? Why not keep her a year later after the movie ended, married to the hunky prince and running a jazzy restaurant in the Roaring 20's?

I'm confused, as I haven't been following this thread closely for the past few months. Is there an official update from WDI to Tiana's story that now places this environment as taking place during the Great Depression of the 1930's? Anything official to go on here?

Turns out there was no need for confusion on any of this, and there is nothing official from Disney about aging Tiana.

Tiana isn't being aged, the ride is still set in the 1920's, etc. The alleged Older Tiana story arc was simply speculated by @Disney Irish, and it was just a case of bad lighting on that Social Media post, and a bad casting call by an Anaheim manager trying to fill a Princess shift.

LittleBuford

You are quoting my literal words as I read through and commented on a thread I hadn't visited for at least 36 hours.
Yet you were all caught up by the start of the post!
Okay, so now that the grey/gray hair accusations have been sorted out, that begs the question...

Are the designers of this ride/restaurant/story for Disneyland and WDW in fact aging Tiana and her plotline by at least 10 years? Her animatronic and face character look at least 15 years older, but is the story in fact being placed 10+ years in the future? And why?
Anyway, I’ve nothing more to add. Your flip-flopping posts speak for themselves.

TP2000

Yet you were all caught up by the start of the post!

Anyway, I’ve nothing more to add. Your flip-flopping posts speak for themselves.

I'm glad you now realize your issue is with @Disney Irish and his random speculation framed as accepted knowledge. ;)

Tiana won't be purposely aged in the ride, she just got caught on Social Media with a bad hairdo under bad lighting.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, from the info and photos provided as proof by @Disney Irish that this was a purposeful and pre-announced decision by Disney to age Tiana to an older period in her life, that seemed to be the case.

But now we know it was just wild speculation on the part of @Disney Irish that the ride would be taking place in the 1930's and at a different age for Tiana, instead of the 1920's when the movie took place.

Your issue, whatever it might be, does not lie with me, but lies with @Disney Irish and the comments he made two days ago. As it stands now, with the information that has been discussed in the past 24 hours or so, you and I are basically in agreement on how Tiana will be portrayed in the ride and in the park later in 2024.

It will be Tiana circa 1928, not Tiana circa 1938.

But these three comments within a few minutes of each other turned out to be just speculation from @Disney Irish phrased as knowledgeable input that led to confusion two days ago...
Please point to any prior post, even just one, where I made claims of the attraction was to be set in the 1930s. That is an assumption you made. I never stated a specific time period other than to say its set after the events of the movie. And then today showed where Tiana's Foods was established in 1927, making the attraction set after that.

We still don't know when this attraction takes place. This could take place in 1927, 1928, 1929, or sometime in the 1930s. It still hasn't been specifically stated, and I'm guessing it won't get given a specific time and kept vague. But there will be clues provided based on props and clothes and other things.

To take this further, Disney had a public forum held prior to Essence last year. It included props that will be used in the attraction. It was covered by another site and was posted in this thread at the same time. One of the props shown is an Avrin radio/record player that will be playing music in the queue, which is c1930. This would indicate the attraction will likely be set sometime in the 1930s.

Once again this is all information provided by Disney.

New Tiana’s Bayou Adventure details were announced at a recent media event - here are some highlights from the Laughing Place.
  • The ride itself will be the same length as Splash Mountain — approximately 9 minutes at Disneyland and approximately 10 minutes at the Magic Kingdom
  • There will be original animation created by Walt Disney Animation Studios that will be used on screens within the attraction.
  • Songwriter and producer PJ Morton, a native of New Orleans, is creating an original song that will be heard in Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. He is also doing new arrangements of the classic songs within the attraction.
  • Jazz trumpeter Terence Blanchard, also a native of New Orleans, who can be heard playing all of Louis’ trumpet parts in the The Princess and the Frog. He is working to select songs from the film as well as iconic themes from New Orleans for use in the queue.
  • The flora, the wildlife, the sounds are all authentic to New Orleans and of the period. The Imagineers made a point of validating their creative decisions via visits to New Orleans and the bayou and research at The Historic New Orleans Collection.
  • There will be a radio show playing in the queue that talks about the celebration we’re about to visit and informs us that Tiana needs assistance. The radio playing it is based on c. 1930 Avrin radio and record player combination
  • Naveen’s little brother Ralphie will be a part of the attraction as an Audio Animatronic playing the drums. The drum set he uses is based on a children’s set that includes a c. 1900 Chinese tom tom and a c. 1920 Zildjian and Chinese cymbals. The actual set is in the office of the New Orleans Jazz Museum director Greg Lambousy.
  • The attraction will have 17 new characters, all represented by Audio Animatronics. This includes the critter band playing zydeco music.
  • The attractions overall story will touch on some new themes
    • Tiana’s father being a WWI veteran and what’s it like for an African American man to fight for his country back then
    • Tiana’s mom made dresses not only for Charlotte but for other clients in the community which served as an inspiration for Tiana’s entrepreneurship
    • New representation of the other nationalities that make up New Orleans including Philippines, Mexico, Caribbean, nations of Africa and China
  • Tiana will have more new costumes and hairstyles beyond the Adventure Tiana we’ve seen
  • Prince Naveen will play humorous role in the story
  • Look for a sneak peek of new consumer products at the next ESSENCE Fest, which runs from June 29th through July 3rd, 2023
  • While the attraction won’t necessarily be tied to the Disney+ series, they are working with Disney+ for continuity
  • A chair designed by current and former YAYA students for Imagineering will be put into Disneyland’s Eudora’s Chic Boutique. YAYA is a place we visited where people aged 13 to 25 can learn to become artists. While there, each student paints a chair that is sold and the student shares in the profits.
Full article below.

LittleBuford

One of the props shown is an Avrin radio/record player that will be playing music in the queue, which is c1930. This would indicate the attraction will likely be set sometime in the 1930s.
Circa 1930 just means around that year, so late ’20s is just as possible (and in my view likelier).

TP2000

Please point to any prior post, even just one, where I made claims of the attraction was to be set in the 1930s.

The discussion of the "1930's" came along after you claimed on Tuesday afternoon that this was widely known information that Tiana would be aged, and that WDI was aging her on purpose for both the ride and for Tiana face character actresses in the park. The 1930's came after the 1920's, when the movie was set.

Within a 25 minute timeframe on Tuesday afternoon you and I said this...

Maybe under the ride lighting she'll look better, but she looks older and plainer via Animatronic. Very... Soccer Mom, as you say, and not as young and pretty as she's been when seen in the parks.

1110ZV_0205KP.jpg

And minutes later you quoted me and replied...
Tiana that has been doing the M&G at Tiana's Palace (I believe she still comes around) is also portrayed to be older similar to how she will look in the ride -

tianas-palace-disneyland-tiana-new-outfit-scaled.jpg

And a few minutes later I quoted you and said...

That's a weird decision to make from a merchandising and target-audience perspective.

Something tells me the "Older, Wiser, Career Woman with Mom-Hairdo Tiana" merchandise isn't going to sell as well with the target demographic of young girls as the "Young, Pretty, Glamorous, Princess Tiana" merchandise. :oops:

To which you quickly quoted and replied with this, which turns out to be speculative and not based on any real information that Tiana is supposed to look noticeably older in the ride and at her Disneyland restaurant than she looks in the movie...
This isn't new information. The attraction announcement since day one has stated to be after the events of the movie, and subsequent information since has come out that its set years after the movie. Even the art work shows Tiana in new outfits and older than the movie. So not sure why this is now a surprise 3+ years later for some.

They will have merch from both the new attraction and from the movie, both iterations of the character.

Your insight on making Tiana look noticeably older in the ride and park than her 20 years old movie persona was speculative, not factual, and it became confusing for someone who hadn't visited the thread in days.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The discussion of the "1930's" came along after you claimed on Tuesday afternoon that this was widely known information that Tiana would be aged, and that WDI was aging her on purpose for both the ride and for Tiana face character actresses in the park. The 1930's came after the 1920's, when the movie was set.

Within a 25 minute timeframe on Tuesday afternoon you and I said this...

And minutes later you quoted me and replied...

And a few minutes later I quoted you and said...

To which you quickly quoted and replied with this, which turns out to be speculative and not based on any real information that Tiana is supposed to look noticeably older in the ride and at her Disneyland restaurant than she looks in the movie...

Your insight on making Tiana look noticeably older in the ride and park than her 20 years old movie persona was speculative, not factual, and it became confusing for someone who hadn't visited the thread in days.
Please point to the specific post where I made the claim that Disney specifically stated they were aging her up. Once again all I've said is that the attraction will be set after the event of the movie, which was specific stated by Disney. And that the face character doing M&Gs at Tiana's palace is also dressed the same as the AA, and appears to look older.

I'd like to submit this as exhibit A where I specifically state that she'll be a few years older than in the movie.
I don't think its as bad as you think, she isn't going to be geriatric. She'll be a few years older than in the movie, that's it. Also that screen grab that is floating around is bad lighting that shows her hair being grey which it isn't suppose to be.

Here is one that is from the Orlando Sentinel that shows better lighting and probably closer to how she will be lit inside the attraction -

first-look-first-ever-tiana-audio-animatronics-figure-for-tianas-bayou-adventure.jpg

Also I wouldn't be surprised if in the final scene she is in her dress from the movie for the "party".

TP2000

Please point to the specific post where I made the claim that Disney specifically stated they were aging her up. Once again all I've said is that the attraction will be set after the event of the movie, which was specific stated by Disney. And that the face character doing M&Gs at Tiana's palace is also dressed the same as the AA, and appears to look older.

I'm done with you and this silly topic.

Tiana isn't being made to look older on purpose, she was just badly lit by a WDI intern. :rolleyes:

Rich T

That seems to happen often I think as they argue with their perception of the person posting and not the words he/she is actually posting.

Sorry I don’t think Tiana looks good in any of the pics we’ve seen. I agree the hair is the worst offender but it also just doesn’t look like Tiana from the movie.
It’ll either work in the context of the ride or it won’t. Right now, I think it’s a great-looking animatronic that I can accept as Tiana every bit as much as I could accept that build-a-bear bunny on Splash as Brer Rabbit from SotS.

Whether or not it’s intentionally implemented in the AA, Tiana truly is a bit older in this story, and that means so is everyone else. I’m expecting to see Naveen with a slight beer gut, a grey haired Big Daddy La Bouff, Louis with wife and baby gators, and Charlotte La Bouff standing near the final turn desperately asking if there are any single guys in the log.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Sorry, I haven’t dissected every TP post. Seems like his opinion has changed slightly. But what I said is true. A lot of people argue with their perception of the person posting instead of the actual message.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s that crazy to go from thinking she’s middle aged to slightly older. I’d imagine “slightly older” to mean at least 5-10 years in this context. Which almost puts her at that 35 years old. Besides, opinions can change. You’ve never had a conversation with someone and changed your mind? Now imagine pages of posts where one may or may not be skimming through while multitasking.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It’ll either work in the context of the ride or it won’t. Right now, I think it’s a great-looking animatronic that I can accept as Tiana every bit as much as I could accept that build-a-bear bunny on Splash as Brer Rabbit from SotS.

Whether or not it’s intentionally implemented in the AA, Tiana truly is a bit older in this story, and that means so is everyone else. I’m expecting to see Naveen with a slight beer gut, a grey haired Big Daddy La Bouff, Louis with wife and baby gators, and Charlotte La Bouff standing near the final turn desperately asking if there are any single guys in the log.

Well a lot of people liked those “build a bear bunnies.” They have big shoes to fill and so far doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen.

They can make it work in whatever context they want. It doesn’t mean it’s what the people want or that it’s a good decision. Just working isn’t as good as knocking it out of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom