Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

This isn't new information. The attraction announcement since day one has stated to be after the events of the movie, and subsequent information since has come out that its set years after the movie. Even the art work shows Tiana in new outfits and older than the movie. So not sure why this is now a surprise 3+ years later for some.

I'd been following the basic development of this remake, from Bob Iger's surprise announcement four years ago when no real work had been done on the project, to its eventual opening late this year. And I'd seen some of the artwork they released, which has been vague and minimal at best.

But what I didn't realize was a concious decision to make Tiana look purposely older and less glamorous for her big E Ticket debut. That's a very odd decision and artistic direction to take for a Princess, in my opinion. It almost seems insulting to her, but I'd need to think about that more.

But I'm also now thinking of similar character updates to other attractions and shows they could do...

Buzz Lightyear's Retirement Home Takeover!, Presented by Jitterbug Phones
Ariel's Joint Friendly Water Aerobics Adventure, Presented by LifeAlert
Clarabelle Cow's Low Impact Choreography Dance Party, Presented by Depends

There's a lot of potential in aging existing characters into new roles and stories! An untapped market, it would seem.

They will have merch from both the new attraction and from the movie, both iterations of the character.

Something tells me that when the average 5 year old girl visits the toy aisle at Target, it's going to be the Tiana in the giant flouncy sparkly dress and glamorous updo she grabs, not the older Tiana in the business casual and mom-hairdo.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd been following the basic development of this remake, from Bob Iger's surprise announcement four years ago when no real work had been done on the project, to its eventual opening late this year. And I'd seen some of the artwork they released, which has been vague and minimal at best.

But what I didn't realize was a concious decision to make Tiana look purposely older and less glamorous for her big E Ticket debut. That's a very odd decision and artistic direction to take for a Princess, in my opinion. It almost seems insulting to her, but I'd need to think about that more.

But I'm also now thinking of similar character updates to other attractions and shows they could do...

Buzz Lightyear's Retirement Home Takeover!, Presented by Jitterbug Phones
Ariel's Joint Friendly Water Aerobics Adventure, Presented by LifeAlert
Clarabelle Cow's Low Impact Choreography Dance Party, Presented by Depends

There's a lot of potential in aging existing characters into new roles and stories! An untapped market, it would seem.

Something tells me that when the average 5 year old girl visits the toy aisle at Target, it's going to be the Tiana in the giant flouncy sparkly dress and glamorous updo she grabs, not the older Tiana in the business casual and mom-hairdo.
I don't think its as bad as you think, she isn't going to be geriatric. She'll be a few years older than in the movie, that's it. Also that screen grab that is floating around is bad lighting that shows her hair being grey which it isn't suppose to be.

Here is one that is from the Orlando Sentinel that shows better lighting and probably closer to how she will be lit inside the attraction -

first-look-first-ever-tiana-audio-animatronics-figure-for-tianas-bayou-adventure.jpg

Also I wouldn't be surprised if in the final scene she is in her dress from the movie for the "party".

mickEblu

So a couple insiders (and now Disney in todays blog) over the past few months/ years have mentioned the return of the big drop (no duh) in some attempt to reassure or remind people or themselves that the rides signature moment will still be there. For me all it does is makes me wonder why the other drops aren’t mentioned. They wouldn’t right? I know we ve been told the flume isn’t changing and it also would make no sense to eliminate the two smaller drops when you still have the big one.

Consumer

Assuming the lighting is the reason the animatronic looks incorrect, it begs the question why would Disney not do a better job at presenting the first glimpse of the figure? Why is a multibillion dollar company to inept?
Which does make me wonder:

What does the dashing, debonair, timelessly stylish and fashionable TP2000 look like in real life?
I've always pictured him as Roger Sterling from Mad Men.
1707871952562.png

TP2000

Assuming the lighting is the reason the animatronic looks incorrect, it begs the question why would Disney not do a better job at presenting the first glimpse of the figure? Why is a multibillion dollar company to inept?

Agreed. I can't imagine this animatronic will look that different in the ride. But if this is an unflattering and unattractive perspective of that animatronic that will look much better in the ride, then they should not have debuted her this way.

This project is messy. It's like they take one step forward, but then take two steps back. Messy.

View attachment 768205

Your instincts are pretty solid.

BuddyThomas

Disney would never admit they messed up with Tiana's. They've hyped this up so much that if, or rather, when people negatively compare it to Splash after it opens, they'll just turn a blind eye and keep saying how great Tiana is before they get bored and go after whatever attraction/experience comes next.
OR…….we can all calm down and wait until it opens and judge with a modicum of intelligence, rather than just speculation.

BuddyThomas

People see one single picture of an animatronic and they are instantly experts on animatronics and are convinced that the ride will be an unmitigated disaster. Also, they are sad that the previous controversial (some say racist) movie is no longer represented at WDW and Disneyland. Walt Disney was quoted as saying that he wanted his parks to constantly evolve and change. Well, here we are, and he is getting his wish. I for one will withhold judgment until I have ridden it, and I cannot wait to do so.

SuddenStorm

View attachment 768205

TP either looks like that, or this. There's no middle ground here. 🤣 🤣 🤣

1707878809348.png

(TP, don't hate me the joke was too good to pass up.)

SuddenStorm

I think what we're seeing is the shift away from unrealistic features in women. That's why she looks very little like PatF Tiana. You see it in new dolls and barbies. I also believe they went this route as PatF Tiana's hair may not have been deemed as being enough of a realistic representation of Black women. I'll admit that Black women's hair or hair in general isn't my wheelhouse but that's my take. Before anyone mentions that PatF Tiana is in parades and meet greets... it's easy to recast a face character or change a hair do. They're making these AA's to last 20-30 years.

Im constantly reminded with every decision they make and parks blog they put out that they took my favorite ride and made it the most politically correct attraction ever created to the point where it feels like that stuff is steering almost every creative decision. Instead of just leaning into the IP/ PatF movie that could have made for a great attraction.

Yeah it's a neat animatronic, but the face is off model. At first glance, it doesn't look like Tiana.
That could partly be because it's difficult to design a 3D representation of a 2D character. I've had similar observations about Ariel.

1707878908091.png
1707878970723.png

1707879132750.png
1707879171011.png

Attachments

• 1707878971841.png
    1707878971841.png
    898.8 KB · Views: 30

mickEblu

Last edited:

mickEblu

Yeah it's a neat animatronic, but the face is off model. At first glance, it doesn't look like Tiana.
That could partly be because it's difficult to design a 3D representation of a 2D character. I've had similar observations about Ariel.

View attachment 768224 View attachment 768226

View attachment 768227 View attachment 768228

Ariel I think was due to poor workmanship or a “lower” budget. Or maybe the tech has come all long way in the last 15 years. Belle in Tokyo looks pretty good. There’s no excuse for this. I think it’s intentional here.

Consumer

View attachment 768224 View attachment 768226

View attachment 768227 View attachment 768228
It’s very possible the attempt to translate 2D to 3D is the reason the figure looks strange, but I don't find myself taking issue with Ariel's design. I suspect a large part of this might be that Ariel has very defining features - blue eyes, swooping red hair, clamshell bra, mermaid - in a way that Tiana does not. Other than her two dresses (neither of which she's wearing) and being black, Tiana has no identifiable features.

If we did not know this was an animatronic of Tiana, I don't think anybody would suspect it was. It was the same problem the meet n greet had.

mickEblu

It’s very possible the attempt to translate 2D to 3D is the reason the figure looks strange, but I don't find myself taking issue with Ariel's design. I suspect a large part of this might be that Ariel has very defining features - blue eyes, swooping red hair, clamshell bra, mermaid - in a way that Tiana does not. Other than her two dresses (neither of which she's wearing) and being black, Tiana has no identifiable features.

If we did not know this was an animatronic of Tiana, I don't think anybody would suspect it was. It was the same problem the meet n greet had.

You know it’s been a while since I saw the Belle AA. I just looked at it and it’s not as great as I remember. More accurate than Tiana for sure but not amazing. I think we re all right. She’s not wearing anything recognizable, the 2D to 3D issue and the stuff I mentioned which I don’t care to type out again. Haha. Her face shape is completely different. Her short hair. It’s all intentional.

Last edited:
In the Parks
No
Dr Facilier would have made for best human AA as he was the most exaggerated and cartoony.
True, he would have been the perfect application for the modern AA's one distinguishing feature: wild, waving arm motions.

Seriously, there's almost TOO much motion. No human being would actually move like that. But I'm not going to complain about animatronic motion. It's temporary anyway...give it two years and she'll be much more static, and not by design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom