Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

There is a zero percent chance that some, and particularly some here, will ever see TBA outside of the context of what it replaced. Won't be true for everyone, but if the same is already true for Guardians/IncrediCoaster/etc, it will ABSOLUTELY be true for Splash.

My post didn't at all make this clear, but my intention was to refer to the general public's view of TBA. Comparisons to Splash will never die on Disney message boards, but hopefully TBA is so strong in its own right that the average guest sees nothing unsatisfactory about it. There will be nothing worse than overhearing guests say "I liked the old version better."

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I can't imagine outcry from the general public, even if the attraction is awful -- so long as it remains a fun log flume. Most people just won't care or even notice if (hypothetically...) TBA has 20% the animatronics Splash had.

But let's say TBA is so dreadful and the missing-ingredient storyline so asinine that there actually is a meaningful backlash Disney can't ignore. Even in that situation, I predict Disney dies on this hill (/salt mine) and never even considers altering the attraction. Disney's PR has invested too much in this attraction as a marker of racial progress and a celebration of women's economic achievement for the company to acknowledge any shortcomings with the storytelling. How much of the TBA marketing copy has discussed the thrilling drops and big splash? Next to none. It's not a mere log flume to Disney.

mickEblu

I can't imagine outcry from the general public, even if the attraction is awful -- so long as it remains a fun log flume. Most people just won't care or even notice if (hypothetically...) TBA has 20% the animatronics Splash had.

But let's say TBA is so dreadful and the missing-ingredient storyline so asinine that there actually is a meaningful backlash Disney can't ignore. Even in that situation, I predict Disney dies on this hill (/salt mine) and never even considers altering the attraction. Disney's PR has invested too much in this attraction as a marker of racial progress and a celebration of women's economic achievement for the company to acknowledge any shortcomings with the storytelling. How much of the TBA marketing copy has discussed the thrilling drops and big splash? Next to none. It's not a mere log flume to Disney.

They wouldn’t admit they messed up but they could tweak it. In response to lukewarm/ poor reviews I could see them adding Facilier to a Halloween overlay that may or may not become permanent. Adding him to a Halloween overlay could also make it appear like it was the plan the whole time and that it had nothing to do with lackluster reviews.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t think they’ll have to but if the response is negative I think they’ll make changes after a couple years, it wouldn’t be the first time they responded to bad reviews, the second Figment ride only lasted a couple years before they redid it, more recently they replaced Harmonious after just a couple years.

I’ve been fairly critical of the backstory and some of the design choices but I still think the ride itself is going to be good, Splash gave them such a good foundation it’s going to be nearly impossible for them to mess it up.

mlayton144

I don’t think they’ll have to but if the response is negative I think they’ll make changes after a couple years, it wouldn’t be the first time they responded to bad reviews, the second Figment ride only lasted a couple years before they redid it, more recently they replaced Harmonious after just a couple years.

I’ve been fairly critical of the backstory and some of the design choices but I still think the ride itself is going to be good, Splash gave them such a good foundation it’s going to be nearly impossible for them to mess it up.
The millions dollar question at this point - will TBA be virtual queue, individual lighting lane, or genie plus when it opens?

CaptinEO

They wouldn’t admit they messed up but they could tweak it. In response to lukewarm/ poor reviews I could see them adding Facilier to a Halloween overlay that may or may not become permanent. Adding him to a Halloween overlay could also make it appear like it was the plan the whole time and that it had nothing to do with lackluster reviews.
Their egos are too strong to address any complaints. WDI doesn't serve what the guest demands. I think Scott Towbridge who designed GE at a conference a few months after its opening said something about some guests not being smart enough to understand the theme of the land (being its own star wars universe and not a place from the movies).

Imagine being that pompous. WDI has to take things like Incredicoaster, greenlit from Bob Chapek, and build it without challenging anything.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom