Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Wasn’t the plan “late 2024”? How often are new attractions this far ahead of schedule?

A Memorial Day opening would put the turnaround at one year. Is that really enough time to sufficiently re-theme one of their most elaborate attractions ever?

I know I’m in the minority here, but I’m not a fan of Guardians. I often hear Disney fans praise the attraction and marvel (no pun intended) at the overlay’s quick turnaround. But unlike those folks, I have no difficulty believing such a mediocre attraction was created in mere months. I believe Maelstrom was down for much longer, yet even Frozen has some poorly-themed segments.

I want Tiana to be a classic, unburdened by eternal comparisons to Splash. I just hope they’re not cutting corners.

mickEblu

Wasn’t the plan “late 2024”? How often are new attractions this far ahead of schedule?

A Memorial Day opening would put the turnaround at one year. Is that really enough time to sufficiently re-theme one of their most elaborate attractions ever?

I know I’m in the minority here, but I’m not a fan of Guardians. I often hear Disney fans praise the attraction and marvel (no pun intended) at the overlay’s quick turnaround. But unlike those folks, I have no difficulty believing such a mediocre attraction was created in mere months. I believe Maelstrom was down for much longer, yet even Frozen has some poorly-themed segments.

I want Tiana to be a classic, unburdened by eternal comparisons to Splash. I just hope they’re not cutting corners.

I think the "praise" for Mission Breakout comes mostly from people who travel often to multiple Disney Parks and now have an extra ride as an option especially since DCA's TOT was viewed as inferior to the original. I think the quick turn around has something to do with it too. It's scary to think how much worse it could have turned out if it was being rethemed today and without Joe Rohde working on it. People like the Guardians characters but the ride system is still the main draw of the attraction. Objectively, apples to apples - DCA's TOT >>> Mission Breakout.

If they announced today that they were giving POTC at MK the Shanghai treatment I'd be all for it. What would I as a Disneyland guy be missing out on? A much lesser version of what we have? Then I would get to experience something that would probably never happen otherwise as I have no plans on traveling to Shanghai.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think the "praise" for Mission Breakout comes mostly from people who travel often to multiple Disney Parks and now have an extra ride as an option

I mostly agree with this part, except we praise it because we find MB more fun than ToT, that’s purely personal opinion though.

The main point is the subtle changes make them all must rides.

We do similar yet different rides, like pirates, nearly every visit to DL, MK, and DLP, they are just different enough to make them must do. The flip side of that is we’ll often skip clones like Star tours, or even entire lands like Galaxies edge, in HS or DLP because we’ve done them dozens of times in DL.

Disney loves saving money by doing clones but they kind of limit their appeal for their biggest fans who visit multiple parks, I guess we’re such a small number we aren’t a major concern.

October82

I think the "praise" for Mission Breakout comes mostly from people who travel often to multiple Disney Parks and now have an extra ride as an option especially since DCA's TOT was viewed as inferior to the original. I think the quick turn around has something to do with it too. It's scary to think how much worse it could have turned out if it was being rethemed today and without Joe Rohde working on it. People like the Guardians characters but the ride system is still the main draw of the attraction. Objectively, apples to apples - DCA's TOT >>> Mission Breakout.

If they announced today that they were giving POTC at MK the Shanghai treatment I'd be all for it. What would I as a Disneyland guy be missing out on? A much lesser version of what we have? Then I would get to experience something that would probably never happen otherwise as I have no plans on traveling to Shanghai.
Although my main criticism of GotG is that it replaced a classic attraction in a park that desperately needs them, I also find it a very poor use of the guardians IP. It only had a quick turnaround because almost nothing of substance was done in the conversion, leaving us with a disjointed mess of a 'transformers style' ride. I'd much rather have kept ToT (or given it a more fitting IP in the world we live in) and added a Cosmic Rewind to Avengers Campus. While CR leaves much to be desired in Epcot, it would have at least added to DCA a kind of "Space Mountain for its Avengers Campus Tomorrowland".

October82

I have similar feelings. I think Princess and the Frog could be the basis of a great attraction. From what's been shown so far, this just doesn't look to be it.

PiratesMansion

I always took Late 2024 to be a DL-specific context, but I confess I haven't really paid any attention to the WDW timeline or side of the boards when it comes to this topic.

There is a zero percent chance that some, and particularly some here, will ever see TBA outside of the context of what it replaced. Won't be true for everyone, but if the same is already true for Guardians/IncrediCoaster/etc, it will ABSOLUTELY be true for Splash.
People were using that 'classic attraction' to takes naps.

The few people that ever went on it at the end.
Tower always had respectable queue lengths-not crazy, but far from empty. I don't doubt that Guardians is more popular now than TOT was when it closed, but DCA's Tower was hardly an Enchanted Tiki Room do-it-whenever-because-there's-never-a-line sort of attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom