Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

It's a little eerie and dreamlike.

That said, it's quite possibly very wise to simply rip the bandaid off and fix Mansion and Splash simultaneously. A year from now, that stretch of the park will be impressively plussed-up and fresh (Adventureland Treehouse, Tiana's Palace, the new Haunted Mansion grounds and shop, Tiana's Bayou Adventure). I honestly predict it will be worth it, ultimately.

Kind of makes you wonder if there’s a reason for this like perhaps a significant amount of attractions going down on the East side of the park next year. Tomorrowland Re-Do confirmed.

Homemade Imagineering

It's a little eerie and dreamlike.

That said, it's quite possibly very wise to simply rip the bandaid off and fix Mansion and Splash simultaneously. A year from now, that stretch of the park will be impressively plussed-up and fresh (Adventureland Treehouse, Tiana's Palace, the new Haunted Mansion grounds and shop, Tiana's Bayou Adventure). I honestly predict it will be worth it, ultimately.
If the Adventureland Treehouse is any indication, then absolutely. Hearing about non projected faces for Bayou Adventure gives me hope, it’ll be nice enough to know the infrastructure of the mountain is in much better shape after slowly deteriorating over time.

mickEblu

I’d love nothing more.

I mean I can’t think of a good reason to have Mansion down while Splash is down. Unless there are a few attractions on the other side of the park going down in the near future. Granted DL has the capacity to deal with it but this isn’t typical from Disney. It’s a D23 year. Maybe this is the year something is finally announced.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

If the Adventureland Treehouse is any indication, then absolutely. Hearing about non projected faces for Bayou Adventure gives me hope, it’ll be nice enough to know the infrastructure of the mountain is in much better shape after slowly deteriorating over time.

The treehouse is indeed very well done. I'm still shocked WDI was able to radically alter the attraction without a direct IP tie-in (/merch opportunities). I've visited Disneyland twice since it opened and both times the treehouse was slammed. Let's hope it sustains its popularity and demonstrates to WDI/whomever that there is a craving for this type of attraction among DL guests.

And while we've heard some disconcerting rumors about the work being done to Mansion, I'll stand by my assessment that WDI has been pretty cautious with Disneyland upgrades in recent years. There's no reason to assume this refurb will be any different.

My expectations for Tiana are sky-high, but what I'm expecting is that it'll be a very strong modern Disney attraction, cut from the same cloth as Rise, (HKDL's) Frozen Ever After, Runaway Railway, Radiator Springs Racers, Na'vi River Journey, etc. In other words, it will be competent and fully-realized but maybe a little antiseptic. It will have AAs and they will be impressive but far fewer than the 1960s-1980s attractions. It will employ projections skillfully. The story won't include any real sense of danger, because modern WDI and the suits are afraid of scaring children. It definitely won't include anything challenging or artistic, because modern WDI and the suits are terrified of offending anyone. But it will be a pleasant ride experience with great music and friendly characters and endless opportunities for merch and food synergy. And it will add Black characters and (if what WDI is saying about the music and art is true) culture to Disneyland in a way that is joyous and celebratory and makes sense.

It will not resemble Splash in any way because WDI simply does not build attractions like that anymore. But in its own right, it could (and should) be a very strong attraction.

And at the end of the day, Splash (perhaps my favorite attraction of all time) was in terrible shape and WDI was never, ever, ever going to be able to acquire the funding necessary to adequately fix The Uncle Remus Ride. So best case scenario, our options were a modern-IP overlay or just letting Splash rot away forever. Neither option was ideal, but I've come to terms with TBA. And if we're really being honest, some sections of DL's Splash (such as the "How Do Ya Do?" section) were always pretty sparse and dark and kind of chintzy; at the risk of being accused of heresy, I think it's quite possible modern WDI might actually be able to improve upon some of those scenes by means of projections, modern lighting techniques, etc.

PiratesMansion

The treehouse is indeed very well done. I'm still shocked WDI was able to radically alter the attraction without a direct IP tie-in (/merch opportunities). I've visited Disneyland twice since it opened and both times the treehouse was slammed. Let's hope it sustains its popularity and demonstrates to WDI/whomever that there is a craving for this type of attraction among DL guests.

And while we've heard some disconcerting rumors about the work being done to Mansion, I'll stand by my assessment that WDI has been pretty cautious with Disneyland upgrades in recent years. There's no reason to assume this refurb will be any different.

My expectations for Tiana are sky-high, but what I'm expecting is that it'll be a very strong modern Disney attraction, cut from the same cloth as Rise, (HKDL's) Frozen Ever After, Runaway Railway, Radiator Springs Racers, Na'vi River Journey, etc. In other words, it will be competent and fully-realized but maybe a little antiseptic. It will have AAs and they will be impressive but far fewer than the 1960s-1980s attractions. It will employ projections skillfully. The story won't include any real sense of danger, because modern WDI and the suits are afraid of scaring children. It definitely won't include anything challenging or artistic, because modern WDI and the suits are terrified of offending anyone. But it will be a pleasant ride experience with great music and friendly characters and endless opportunities for merch and food synergy. And it will add Black characters and (if what WDI is saying about the music and art is true) culture to Disneyland in a way that is joyous and celebratory and makes sense.

It will not resemble Splash in any way because WDI simply does not build attractions like that anymore. But in its own right, it could (and should) be a very strong attraction.

And at the end of the day, Splash (perhaps my favorite attraction of all time) was in terrible shape and WDI was never, ever, ever going to be able to acquire the funding necessary to adequately fix The Uncle Remus Ride. So best case scenario, our options were a modern-IP overlay or just letting Splash rot away forever. Neither option was ideal, but I've come to terms with TBA. And if we're really being honest, some sections of DL's Splash (such as the "How Do Ya Do?" section) were always pretty sparse and dark and kind of chintzy; at the risk of being accused of heresy, I think it's quite possible modern WDI might actually be able to improve upon some of those scenes by means of projections, modern lighting techniques, etc.
I agree. I'm hopeful that TBA will perhaps meet in the middle re: old school and new school attraction design values, given that there's a fair amount already there that could theoretically be modified with little effort and carried over into the new attraction.

Professortango1

I agree. I think we will be getting Wonder Bread Mountain. It won't be great, and people who don't know better will like it enough. But it will feel empty, bland, and slightly too sweet.

Gusey

I've noticed recently at Disneyland that in order to give a land a new makeover, it is in combination with a new/updated attraction: Toontown refresh came after the announcement of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway; New Orleans refresh (Tiana's Palace & new Haunted Mansion queue) came about after announcement of Tiana's Bayou Adventure.
Feel like we need to wait for the announcement of a major attraction for Tomorrowland before Disneyland announces a new Tomorrowland project

Homemade Imagineering

I've noticed recently at Disneyland that in order to give a land a new makeover, it is in combination with a new/updated attraction: Toontown refresh came after the announcement of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway; New Orleans refresh (Tiana's Palace & new Haunted Mansion queue) came about after announcement of Tiana's Bayou Adventure.
Feel like we need to wait for the announcement of a major attraction for Tomorrowland before Disneyland announces a new Tomorrowland project
I wouldn’t mind losing Buzz for good

mickEblu

My perception of Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage has changed a lot. Ive bashed it plenty of times but it's kind of grown on me. Part of that I'm sure has to do with seeing how much my kids enjoy it but I think the big thing is avoiding it on hot summer days when it's stuffy and smelly in there. I think up up until my last couple rides on Nemo, my once every 5-7 year ride just happened to be on a summer day. There is also a lot more practical stuff than I once gave it credit for. All to say I would lament the loss of the submarine voyage in addition the lagoon if they were to be removed during a TL Re-do. I'd be up for a new theme if I had more trust in Disney/TDA

zipadee999

My perception of Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage has changed a lot. Ive bashed it plenty of times but it's kind of grown on me. Part of that I'm sure has to do with seeing how much my kids enjoy it but I think the big thing is avoiding it on hot summer days when it's stuffy and smelly in there. I think up up until my last couple rides on Nemo, my once every 5-7 year ride just happened to be on a summer day. There is also a lot more practical stuff than I once gave it credit for. All to say I would lament the loss of the submarine voyage in addition the lagoon if they were to be removed during a TL Re-do. I'd be up for a new theme if I had more trust in Disney/TDA
It’ll never happen but I’d like to see them ditch Nemo and go back to some of the original theming while taking some inspiration from the Tokyo 20,000 leagues ride. That would make it more timeless

In the Parks
No
As nice as the return of the Subs to action was/is, that is an awful lot of real estate that could (but probably wouldn't) be replaced by something really cool, either as a Fantasyland expansion or a Tomorrowland expansion.

mickEblu

As nice as the return of the Subs to action was/is, that is an awful lot of real estate that could (but probably wouldn't) be replaced by something really cool, either as a Fantasyland expansion or a Tomorrowland expansion.

I just need the lagoon and the ride system to stick around. Its too unique to throw away for another run of the mill modern trackless ride.

Nirya

A Tomorrowland expansion will likely look towards the north end of the land (Autopia/Subs) but I have to assume their first focus will be on the old Carousel building to create something new. Buzz also makes sense as a building they can reutilize first, and of course, they have the PeopleMover track to deal with.

I think you could do a version of Tron in that Carousel plot, have it launch and weave through the Autopia area, going around the Monorail track in the process before diving into the building for the interior parts. In fact, they could reutilize the PeopleMover track to do show scenes, then have a launch on the backside of the Buzz building, weave through the Autopia area before diving into the Carousel to finish. You could even build that stupid canopy over the Autopia loading area if you want. I would also gut Pizza Planet and turn that into the queue/loading area, but that's just me.

mickEblu

I mean I can’t think of a good reason to have Mansion down while Splash is down. Unless there are a few attractions on the other side of the park going down in the near future. Granted DL has the capacity to deal with it but this isn’t typical from Disney. It’s a D23 year. Maybe this is the year something is finally announced.

I was just thinking - maybe they're doing this in an effort to have all big attractions up and running smoothly for the 70th anniversary which could be as soon as 15 months away (or less). I believe they started the 60th anniversary in May.

SuddenStorm

I was just thinking - maybe they're doing this in an effort to have all big attractions up and running smoothly for the 70th anniversary which could be as soon as 15 months away (or less). I believe they started the 60th anniversary in May.

What's jarring is how different the place is than it was during the '60th.

Galaxy's Edge- which is a dud.
Astro turf as far as the eye can see.
Salt Mountain.
The removal of many planters throughout the resort, and now Magnolia Park.
French Market turning into Tiana's Palace.
The complete removal of employee dress and grooming standards- so now there are fast food restaurants with stricter standards.
Fantasmic, which is unrecognizable in its current iteration and will soon be dragonless.
A failed Toontown renovation that open, then immediately started closing again in chunks to fix the work.
Mickey and Minnie's Warehouse... I mean Runaway Railway.
Changing the castle to have plastic roofs and stars.
Jungle Cruise- Invasion of the chimps.
Jessica Rabbit's Trenchcoat Spin
Swiss Family Treehouse (An actual bona fide improvement!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom