Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

You know what, I saw the water tower in person the other day and it doesn't look as bad as I feared. It's closer to the mountain itself than I thought it'd be, which makes it a bit less jarring. I still think the tiara is poorly conceived, but it took me a moment to even notice it in person -- so I guess I can't complain too much.

Brer Oswald

So all the greenery in this picture will be gone and/ or replaced by artificial greenery?

View attachment 764445
It’s already gone. I was honestly shocked looking at pictures I took in April compared to how it looked post closure in June with completely dead grass. And now they’ve filled most of it in with concrete.

You know what, I saw the water tower in person the other day and it doesn't look as bad as I feared. It's closer to the mountain itself than I thought it'd be, which makes it a bit less jarring. I still think the tiara is poorly conceived, but it took me a moment to even notice it in person -- so I guess I can't complain too much.
I still have a hard time getting behind it. It’s such a generic and odd choice for a ride icon. The “off to the side” placement also feels odd. Your eyes should be drawn to the top of the cliff…and then down as the logs drop. A replacement tree would’ve done that just fine.

mickEblu

It’s already gone. I was honestly shocked looking at pictures I took in April compared to how it looked post closure in June with completely dead grass. And now they’ve filled most of it in with concrete.

I still have a hard time getting behind it. It’s such a generic and odd choice for a ride icon. The “off to the side” placement also feels odd. Your eyes should be drawn to the top of the cliff…and then down as the logs drop. A replacement tree would’ve done that just fine.

Terrible. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when they replaced the grass with artificial turf on the iconic Mickey planter. Anything is fair game after that.

Consumer

So all the greenery in this picture will be gone and/ or replaced by artificial greenery?

View attachment 764445
Man, what a great exterior design. WDI really just doesn't make attraction like that anymore. Just look at Flight of Passage or Rise of the Resistance - not only do they not have an eye catching exterior, their exterior are deliberately hidden. Was Radiator Springs Racers the last true wienie?

zipadee999

Man, what a great exterior design. WDI really just doesn't make attraction like that anymore. Just look at Flight of Passage or Rise of the Resistance - not only do they not have an eye catching exterior, their exterior are deliberately hidden. Was Radiator Springs Racers the last true wienie?
Smuggler’s run does a pretty good job with the falcon outside to catch your eye but yeah most modern attractions completely hide the showbuilding rather than using it as a canvas for an eye-catching facade.

mickEblu

Yeah a real shame. They really don’t make me like this anymore. I’ve posted about this area in the past and just how under appreciated I thought it was. I’m specifically talking about the exterior portion just after you round the bend after the big drop and head to the finale/ Zip scene. Really wonderful placemaking.

GoneForGood

Likely overstepping my lane, but that's just the thing here. As I've heard, it is intentionally cluttered/green to hide it and evoke a sense of discovery and adventure. And to blend in with ROA.

zipadee999

Yeah a real shame. They really don’t make me like this anymore. I’ve posted about this area in the past and just how under appreciated I thought it was. I’m specifically talking about the exterior portion just after you round the bend after the big drop and head to the finale/ Zip scene. Really wonderful placemaking.
A lot of that shows Tony Baxter’s masterful imagineering! He has a way with set design that uses small details that gradually lead you from major landmark to major landmark. Modern WDI seems to just throw you into nonstop action to the point where it loses its impact. Look at frozen ever after for example, every scene is roughly the same in terms of tone and scale. There are very few ‘breaks’ or ‘transitions.’ There is something to be said for using small, quaint, and detailed sets which then lead to large, grand reveals. That’s why people still talk about the HM ballroom

In the Parks
No
most modern attractions completely hide the showbuilding
Or some don't even try:
1705979693381.png

1705979882247.png

Honeycomb

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I miss Disneyland having a log flume. I miss the smell of the water.

That said, I hope it's closed for as long as it takes to build a quality attraction that will stand the test of time. Jim and Len suggested this week that DL's Tiana is behind schedule; let's hope this doesn't result in cutting corners to open by late-2024.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Was there last night for a bit, and I have never seen that corner of the park so lifeless. It was a surreal experience, kinda hit me hard being there in person, knowing how long HM will be closed alongside TBA

It's a little eerie and dreamlike.

That said, it's quite possibly very wise to simply rip the bandaid off and fix Mansion and Splash simultaneously. A year from now, that stretch of the park will be impressively plussed-up and fresh (Adventureland Treehouse, Tiana's Palace, the new Haunted Mansion grounds and shop, Tiana's Bayou Adventure). I honestly predict it will be worth it, ultimately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom