Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

SuddenStorm

The spike hasn't been sudden, though. The film's popularity has grown and grown consistently over time. There was no quick switch. Tiana and the movie in general were already more popular prior to 2020 than in 2009. PatF representation from has been consistently in the parks since the movie's release, which has likely helped. There could be, and probably are, a number of reasons why it's grown in popularity over the last 13+ years.

Yes, she has been a meet and greet character and had a Mark Twain show.
Thank you for admitting your bias.

My pleasure! Everyone has a bias- some are just more oblivious to it than others ;)

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
My friend was at DL a few days ago and she said there were CMS seemingly measuring for what looked like switchbacks to possibly extend the Splash queue by the Critter Country Sign and Splash entrance.

Kirby86

My friend was at DL a few days ago and she said there were CMS seemingly measuring for what looked like switchbacks to possibly extend the Splash queue by the Critter Country Sign and Splash entrance.
Probably for what Disney hopes is high demand when the new ride opens. I'm still wondering how much more popular they think the new version will be. I mean Splash already gets a ton of foot traffic.

SuddenStorm

You forgot at least four or five other things. Not sure if you’re purposefully forgetting or you really just don’t know.

What a strange response. Yes, of course the character/property has been used in more than those two things in the last decade. I wasn't trying to make a comprehensive list. Didn't Dr. Facilier have a haunted Blue Bayou thing for the Halloween party? Plus that store that just opened. And her appearance in the occasional parade- without wanting to go watch a video isn't she in Magic Happens? And obviously the film is in Wondrous Journeys.

*the above list is not comprehensive

Sometimes your comments make it appear you're dismissive of posters you disagree with- your responses often attempt to create strange gotcha moments that feel disingenuous, like the response above. Not sure if this is intentional or not, it's just an observation.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
What a strange response. Yes, of course the character/property has been used in more than those two things in the last decade. I wasn't trying to make a comprehensive list. Didn't Dr. Facilier have a haunted Blue Bayou thing for the Halloween party? Plus that store that just opened. And her appearance in the occasional parade- without wanting to go watch a video isn't she in Magic Happens? And obviously the film is in Wondrous Journeys.

*the above list is not comprehensive

Sometimes your comments make it appear you're dismissive of posters you disagree with- your responses often attempt to create strange gotcha moments that feel disingenuous, like the response above. Not sure if this is intentional or not, it's just an observation.
... Wait, what?

I'm genuinely confused by your response. What "gotcha?" You listed two things, I responded with "you missed others," and now it's a "gotcha" moment, a "strange" response, and maybe even "disingenuous?"

I am confused, confused, confused.

PiratesMansion

Don't worry folks- if Disney decides to close Pirates, Mansion, or bulldoze Cinderella castle it's okay because it'll still exist in Tokyo :rolleyes:
That's not the argument, and has never been the argument. The point is that people who are positing Splash's closure as uniquely painful and unprecedented and "oh no I'll never be able to experience my favorite attraction again" have an opportunity to go and still ride Splash Mountain somewhere on this earth if they so desire. It's a lot more than a die hard fan of The Great Movie Ride has at their disposal.

Oh wait, I forgot, it doesn't matter because apparently no other ride that has closed is as important or *sacred* or whatever word is being used this week as Splash, and is therefore instantly invalidated because Splash is uniquely precious :rolleyes:
Idk… I think Disneyland is better than it’s ever been. Ask someone from 1955, 1965, 1975, 1985, 1995, 2005, and 2015 Disneyland whether they prefer their time capsule Disneyland or 2023 Disneyland, and it would be hard to make a compelling argument against the present.

I would love if someone could explain when a specific time-period of Disneyland was better than the present, and elaborate thoroughly on what specifically was better, and how the additions since then don’t live-up to whatever was lost.
I actually would prefer 2015 Disneyland to what's there right now. There was an energy to the 60th, and it was the last year where it really felt like things were overall going in a positive direction. DCA had never been better. Disneyland was in stellar shape. If the park had rode off into the sunset as its 2015 incarnation, I would have been fine with it.

Subsequently? Prices have gone up. Entertainment has been cut back (several smaller acts that no longer exist in particular, but remember when DCA had a parade too?) FP and MaxPass were downgraded in the shift to Genie+. Pirates' auction scene has been butchered. They insist on running a 50 year old zombie of a parade instead of the brand new, state of the art one they had in 2015-and they refuse to fix whatever "issues" the new parade allegedly has. The number of drinks at Trader Sams that activate effects, which used to be about half of the menu, has now been limited to only two drinks. Steakhouse 55 removed its signature dessert and then later closed. Hyperspace Mountain shows up whenever it wants, and I now have to hope that it won't show up in the limited window of time I have to visit the resort. You can't just get a paper ticket anymore, you have to seek it out. Mobile Order was introduced and made a previously easy and intuitive aspect of the park-ordering food-into a chore, and because restaurant staffing has been cut, you basically have to use it. Appetizers or sides that used to be included in your meal (bread at table service restaurants, the salad and gumbo at Blue Bayou, etc) now cost extra. Food portions are smaller and more expensive than they used to be. They leveled part of DTD seemingly before they had any idea what they were going to do with it. Of the attractions put in since then or changes that have been made, I'd only call one-Rise of the Resistance-a complete home run (with the slight caveat that I haven't done MMRR yet). Several of the others have been either redundant (Smuggler's, Webslingers) or resulted from the downgrading of existing attractions (Soarin', Animation Building, everything in Pixar Pier). DCA's atmosphere in particular has really taken a hit as IP rushes into the park without any regard for whether or not it fits or is a genuine improvement. For me, Disneyland is more take it or leave it, but I loved 2015 DCA and merely tolerate 2023 DCA.

There's still good stuff there, and there are things that were added subsequently that I enjoyed, although some have also been removed or have yet to return (my beloved poutine flatbread from Red Rose Taverne, Frozen at Hyperion). But even with the good changes that have occured and lasted, the place is overall more *compromised* than it was in 2015. This applies to the resort in general, but especially to DCA.

"Death by a thousand cuts" may be a bit extreme for my personal feelings, because I'm not yet at the point where I have no interest in returning, but I would absolutely understand if someone chose to stop visiting because of all the negative changes that have happened over time. There's been plenty of decline that I can note in just the ten years I've been semi-regularly visiting, and I'm not even a local. The DLR of 2023 still has many strengths and good points, but I certainly cannot consider it to be the best that it's ever been.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Idk… I think Disneyland is better than it’s ever been. Ask someone from 1955, 1965, 1975, 1985, 1995, 2005, and 2015 Disneyland whether they prefer their time capsule Disneyland or 2023 Disneyland, and it would be hard to make a compelling argument against the present.

I would love if someone could explain when a specific time-period of Disneyland was better than the present, and elaborate thoroughly on what specifically was better, and how the additions since then don’t live-up to whatever was lost.
My closer aged family and friends prefer 2015 Disneyland. My older family prefers 70s Disneyland. I personally have a soft spot for the 50th era. It felt like the park really respected and celebrated its own history.

If you're solely talking ride count or technology of course things have improved over time, but the parks sadly get cheaper during periods and take a long time to recover (early 2000s, 2019-present). Customer service, cleanliness, upkeep, and friendliness go a long way. I've never seen as many breakdowns as I have post pandemic (both Disneyland and World).

Matt Ouimet saved the park and brought back quality after years of cuts and made the park in top shape for the 50th. I hope Disneyland gets someone to do the same for the 2020s.

I never walked in feeling nickeled and dimed until recent years.

CaptinEO

That's not the argument, and has never been the argument. The point is that people who are positing Splash's closure as uniquely painful and unprecedented and "oh no I'll never be able to experience my favorite attraction again" have an opportunity to go and still ride Splash Mountain somewhere on this earth if they so desire. It's a lot more than a die hard fan of The Great Movie Ride has at their disposal.

Oh wait, I forgot, it doesn't matter because apparently no other ride that has closed is as important or *sacred* or whatever word is being used this week as Splash, and is therefore instantly invalidated because Splash is uniquely precious :rolleyes:

I actually would prefer 2015 Disneyland to what's there right now. There was an energy to the 60th, and it was the last year where it really felt like things were overall going in a positive direction. DCA had never been better. Disneyland was in stellar shape. If the park had rode off into the sunset as its 2015 incarnation, I would have been fine with it.

Subsequently? Prices have gone up. Entertainment has been cut back (several smaller acts that no longer exist in particular, but remember when DCA had a parade too?) FP and MaxPass were downgraded in the shift to Genie+. Pirates' auction scene has been butchered. They insist on running a 50 year old zombie of a parade instead of the brand new, state of the art one they had in 2015-and they refuse to fix whatever "issues" the new parade allegedly has. The number of drinks at Trader Sams that activate effects, which used to be about half of the menu, has now been limited to only two drinks. Steakhouse 55 removed its signature dessert and then later closed. Hyperspace Mountain shows up whenever it wants, and I now have to hope that it won't show up in the limited window of time I have to visit the resort. You can't just get a paper ticket anymore, you have to seek it out. Mobile Order was introduced and made a previously easy and intuitive aspect of the park-ordering food-into a chore, and because restaurant staffing has been cut, you basically have to use it. Appetizers or sides that used to be included in your meal (bread at table service restaurants, the salad and gumbo at Blue Bayou, etc) now cost extra. Food portions are smaller and more expensive than they used to be. They leveled part of DTD seemingly before they had any idea what they were going to do with it. Of the attractions put in since then or changes that have been made, I'd only call one-Rise of the Resistance-a complete home run (with the slight caveat that I haven't done MMRR yet). Several of the others have been either redundant (Smuggler's, Webslingers) or resulted from the downgrading of existing attractions (Soarin', Animation Building, everything in Pixar Pier). DCA's atmosphere in particular has really taken a hit as IP rushes into the park without any regard for whether or not it fits or is a genuine improvement. For me, Disneyland is more take it or leave it, but I loved 2015 DCA and merely tolerate 2023 DCA.

There's still good stuff there, and there are things that were added subsequently that I enjoyed, although some have also been removed or have yet to return (my beloved poutine flatbread from Red Rose Taverne, Frozen at Hyperion). But even with the good changes that have occured and lasted, the place is overall more *compromised* than it was in 2015. This applies to the resort in general, but especially to DCA.

"Death by a thousand cuts" may be a bit extreme for my personal feelings, because I'm not yet at the point where I have no interest in returning, but I would absolutely understand if someone chose to stop visiting because of all the negative changes that have happened over time. There's been plenty of decline that I can note in just the ten years I've been semi-regularly visiting, and I'm not even a local. The DLR of 2023 still has many strengths and good points, but I certainly cannot consider it to be the best that it's ever been.
This is a great post. It points out some of the many small changes that have permanently altered the Disneyland experience.

In the past the company would raise prices but not diminish the experience. In today's day and age they cheapen the experience as much as they can. I get it is a business but let me pay for a premium product, don't turn yourself into Six Flags while charging Disneyland prices.

Brer Oswald

You don’t know what kind of success the songs will see in the future. No one does. ZADDD’s immediate popularity in the 1940s won’t have anything to do with its future popularity.

Important key words/phrases you used in this response: “was” and “at one point in time.” There are plenty of examples of creative works that have always been popular since release, ones that were popular after release, but aren’t popular now, and ones that flopped after release, but are considered iconic classics now.

If Disney stops using the song in the parks, ads, and wherever else, I can see ZADDD becoming even less popular, especially because the movie it’s linked to cannot be officially watched in the US.
Hence why I said none of the songs will probably reach the “peak” of ZADDD’s popularity, which was the mid to late 20th century. Part of this is just due to how many popular Disney songs there are nowadays that the company likes to play over and over again.

When You Wish Upon a Star, Let it Go, For the First Time in Forever, How Far I’ll Go, the Bruno song, A Whole New World, Part of Your World, Be Our Guest, the list goes on. There’s just way more competition now. They’re going to have to stop playing more than just ZADDD if they want any of the 14 year old PatF songs to become Disney anthems.

Brer Oswald

Probably for what Disney hopes is high demand when the new ride opens. I'm still wondering how much more popular they think the new version will be. I mean Splash already gets a ton of foot traffic.
I think it’ll get a spike for the first year or so, then go back to being exactly the same as it is now. Might be a different story at MK where there’s much less rides, and the weather is much more hot and humid in the summer. But I expect the demand there to eventually be the same as it was before as well.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Hence why I said none of the songs will probably reach the “peak” of ZADDD’s popularity, which was the mid to late 20th century. Part of this is just due to how many popular Disney songs there are nowadays that the company likes to play over and over again.

When You Wish Upon a Star, Let it Go, For the First Time in Forever, How Far I’ll Go, the Bruno song, A Whole New World, Part of Your World, Be Our Guest, the list goes on. There’s just way more competition now. They’re going to have to stop playing more than just ZADDD if they want any of the 14 year old PatF songs to become Disney anthems.
I wasn’t necessarily saying the songs could be anthems. Just that they could be more popular than ZADDD in the future. I wouldn’t be surprised if “Almost There” is already more popular/recognizable amongst newer generations.

Kirby86

I think it’ll get a spike for the first year or so, then go back to being exactly the same as it is now. Might be a different story at MK where there’s much less rides, and the weather is much more hot and humid in the summer. But I expect the demand there to eventually be the same as it was before as well.
I also think any change will be small attendance wise outside the new ride period. Not a shot at the IP but the ride is already extremely popular

SoCalDisneyLover

My guess is it's something more immediate. Like the increased demand they expect once a closing date is announced. I heard the lines at WDW were unbelievably long, especially on the final days.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
My guess is it's something more immediate. Like the increased demand they expect once a closing date is announced. I heard the lines at WDW were unbelievably long, especially on the final days.
Supposedly there were alot of people dressed in Tiana merch with execs today filming around Splash, so I wonder if they're gonna film a vid to announce the closing date

Kirby86

For the last day yes but I was there the Saturday and it wasn't to crazy. First time I saw pressed pennies have a line though. First and only time I waited in line for pressed pennies as well

EagleScout610

Premium Member
The worst I saw on the app in the days before was 100 on the night before, but the final night was over 200. I wonder if Critter Country could handle the crowd WDW saw on Splash's final day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom