Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Vegas Disney Fan

In the grander scheme of things, people don’t care either way so why spend the money?

Because someone high up who makes the decisions cares, my guess is if they announced it wasn’t changing tomorrow more (Disney) people would be happy than upset, but the only opinion that really matters is Igers, and he obviously cares enough to spend the money.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I wonder what percent of people actually care though? 1%, .1%, .01%?

We’re Disney people so we pay attention to this stuff but most people probably didn’t read past the “Splash Mtn becoming Tiana” headline and forgot about it as soon as they read the next headline.
I would agree with you. This and Disneyland in general are not big topics that most people think about.

It’s probably 0.5% or 1%, realistically.

mickEblu

Because someone high up who makes the decisions cares, my guess is if they announced it wasn’t changing tomorrow more (Disney) people would be happy than upset, but the only opinion that really matters is Igers, and he obviously cares enough to spend the money.

Yup. By grander scheme of things I meant the general public. For sure, more people would be happier in the fandom if it was called off.

Brer Oswald

The damage has been done. People now know that SM is based on SotS, a racist movie. It doesn’t matter if Disney publicly condemned SM or not.
The general public doesn’t even know what Splash Mountain is. The only people that know what it is are those that visit the parks. A good percentage of those that visit the parks are Disney fans. Most of those Disney fans that had ridden the attraction were fully aware that the ride was based on SotS. It was in the park map for a very very long time and it was also mentioned in guide books. Most of these same fans excused this fact because “it was based off the mostly inoffensive animated segments”…until Disney announced that they wanted to change it.

At the end of the day, this is a decision Disney is totally and completely in control of, and they could decide to do whatever they want with it without so much as a slap on the wrist. They’re still going to close it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Consumer

If Disney decided not to close Splash, they would never announce the change in plans. Instead, the attraction would quietly remain in operation with broken effects being fixed and guests continuing to ride it until some far off day when Disneyland closes for good.

Disstevefan1

If Disney decided not to close Splash, they would never announce the change in plans. Instead, the attraction would quietly remain in operation with broken effects being fixed and guests continuing to ride it until some far off day when Disneyland closes for good.
They announce stuff all the time that never happens like the theater in MK, the Play pavilion and Mary Poppins in EPCOT, the festival center in EPCOT, tearing down innovations only to realize they needed the building and more.

LEADERSHIP BY RANDOM.

SuddenStorm

Once Splash is dead and gone, I think my emotional connection to Disneyland proper will be diminished more so than it is now, so next will be seeing Paris as I'm a huge Baxter fan, then Tokyo to see what all the fuss is about- before cutting back on my Disney spending significantly and only visiting Anaheim if a friend is signing me in.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuddenStorm

Catching up on this thread, but I continue to be shocked at how people try to downplay Disneyland's headspace in American culture. I think it's something like half? of all Americans will visit Disneyland or Disney World at least once in their lifetime.

This study estimates that 74% of all Americans have visited a Disney park. While most aren't going to be overly preoccupied on the intracies of Splash Mountain's theming- Disney parks have a really unique spot in America's headspace, and Disney needs to be very careful to ensure that continues for the next generation.

Whether America as a whole cares about Splash Mountain is irrelevant and I'm not sure why people are choosing to use it as a statistic here. The only metric that matters is how many people who might visit Disneyland would use Splash Mountain as a reason to visit, or people who discover the attraction during a first visit and choose to return because of it. I think more people will be bothered than Disney's expecting- and I'm curious to see how the new ride's reception is, and how it impacts attendance.

SuddenStorm

You mean like what is EXACTLY happening now with it?

Hard to argue that point. There's been effects fixed in the last three years that hadn't worked in years. And towards the end of last year when none of the lights worked and figures were static- and we thought it was due to the rides' imminent closure, Disney ended up fixing up almost everything to where the ride is surprisingly presentable.

I'm not gonna go as far as to say I don't think it's closing- even if I've been in a state of denial for the last three years- but it is interesting that Disney keeps fixing it with so many other maintenance issues around the park.

Consumer

I have about 100k Amex points banked for a 2024 Japan trip, though we are considering a Paris trip for this year which is about 65k Delta miles in the offseason.
Assuming you will also be visiting the city, be sure to check the status of the monuments in Paris as I know many of them (including the Eiffel Tower) have been under restoration in preparation for the 2024 Olympics being held in Paris. I imagine it would be a disappoint to travel to the beautiful city in the world only to have everything be covered by scaffolds and tarps.

SuddenStorm

Assuming you will also be visiting the city, be sure to check the status of the monuments in Paris as I know many of them (including the Eiffel Tower) have been under restoration in preparation for the 2024 Olympics being held in Paris. I imagine it would be a disappoint to travel to the beautiful city in the world only to have everything be covered by scaffolds and tarps.

Yikes! I didn't know that. Yes, it would be foolish to visit Paris and not see the city, so perhaps I'll have to rethink my vacation timeline. We were thinking Tokyo for 2024 to see the new stuff they're building now.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
You mean like what is EXACTLY happening now with it?
Ellen's Energy Adventure had the carept in the preshow area replaced less than a month before it closed, and that ride had a much much shorter announce - close span than Splash Mountain, and was much less beloved. Effects being fixed dont mean a ride is safe.

PiratesMansion

At this point, just close the thing.

I'm tired of talking about it and hearing about it and explaining it and the subject of the ride's closure invading into 1/3 of the other threads and people pontificating about how it's the bestest ride in the history of ever and, my new favorite, having to listen to delusional people launch their crackpot theories about how the ride will magically be saved at the last minute. The bulk of which has been happening for well over two years.

It's exhausting, and all of the above has sapped away any positive feelings I once had for the ride. I'm over it all.

Last edited:

Professortango1

But people obviously don’t care. The ride has been open for three years now since the announcement. The only issue is that Disney thinks people care.
Disney isn't making the change to appease people, they are making the change to introduce a "NEW" attraction for a fraction of the cost as well as the merch that can be sold/Disney + subs. The feel-good spin is just icing on the cake. This is just the same as TOT becoming Mission BO, Maelstrom becoming Frozen Ever After, Alien Encounter becoming Stitch Encounter, Screamin' becoming Incredicoaster. This is a new MO for Disney imagineers; find how we can update attractions to push newer IP's without spending too much.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
At this point, just close the thing.

I'm tired of talking about it and hearing about it and explaining it and the subject of the ride's closure invading into 1/3 of the other threads and people pontificating about how it's the bestest ride in the history of ever and, my new favorite, having to listen to delusional people launch their crackpot theories about how the ride will magically be saved at the last minute. The bulk of which has been happening for well over two years.

It's exhausting, and all of the above has sapped away any of the positive feelings I once had for the ride. I'm over it all.
The problem is we are limited in discussion here because ours hasn’t closed yet. So, what do we see? Conspiracy theories about it staying open, talk about scenarios where this can get cancelled, Japan, brushing off the racism component to all this, and more. We can’t discuss construction progress because there is none. We can’t discuss much about the ride because barely anything has been announced. So, we get the same topics circling over and over again.

Ready for this to officially close and get construction going.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yikes! I didn't know that. Yes, it would be foolish to visit Paris and not see the city, so perhaps I'll have to rethink my vacation timeline. We were thinking Tokyo for 2024 to see the new stuff they're building now.
We took our “once in a lifetime trip” to London/Paris/DLP in 2016 and will be back for our 4th trip this August… Europe is amazing so you’ll very likely end up going back… and can see the stuff you missed next trip.

DL Paris is beautiful but there’s not a ton of rides, it’s a joy to just explore it though. It’s stunning and has some of the best theme park shows anywhere.

SuddenStorm

We took our “once in a lifetime trip” to London/Paris/DLP in 2016 and will be back for our 4th trip this August… Europe is amazing so you’ll very likely end up going back… and can see the stuff you missed next trip.

DL Paris is beautiful but there’s not a ton of rides, it’s a joy to just explore it though. It’s stunning and has some of the best theme park shows anywhere.

We had a trip booked for March 2020, and, well, that trip never happened.

I've started to have the realization that I'm over halfway through my 20's, but that I have not done enough cool stuff to look back on in 50 years. So the new plan with my friend group is one cool vacation a year.

Perhaps the play is Tokyo 2024, Paris 2025, and something else for 2023.

mickEblu

Catching up on this thread, but I continue to be shocked at how people try to downplay Disneyland's headspace in American culture. I think it's something like half? of all Americans will visit Disneyland or Disney World at least once in their lifetime.

This study estimates that 74% of all Americans have visited a Disney park. While most aren't going to be overly preoccupied on the intracies of Splash Mountain's theming- Disney parks have a really unique spot in America's headspace, and Disney needs to be very careful to ensure that continues for the next generation.

Whether America as a whole cares about Splash Mountain is irrelevant and I'm not sure why people are choosing to use it as a statistic here. The only metric that matters is how many people who might visit Disneyland would use Splash Mountain as a reason to visit, or people who discover the attraction during a first visit and choose to return because of it. I think more people will be bothered than Disney's expecting- and I'm curious to see how the new ride's reception is, and how it impacts attendance.

I see what you’re saying but I feel like the changes they’ve made the last few years kind of show us they don’t care what us fans think. Granted, none of them have been on the level of Splash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom