Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

MagicHappens1971

Disney has walked back many a theme park announcement for Disneyland in the past. They have for many of their parks. Until I read a closing date and see a bulldozer, I am not convinced.
That is your choice. But you will be convinced when Splash closes.

There was never a chance Disney was going to cancel this retheme on either coast, but once they closed Splash @ MK, it sealed both of their fates. Disney simply can not close Splash and retheme it at MK, and then not do the same at Disneyland.

I don’t know what you’re basing your theory off of, but there’s no basis for it. Yes they have canceled and walked back on several different projects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey's Pal

He’s not the reason it exists. He is the reason it’s called Splash mountain, to integrate an IP they wanted to promote, Tom Hanks Splash movie, since they couldn’t promote SoTS.
He is the reason they built the ride in the first place. Without his approval it don't leave Tony Baxter's head mate.

Mickey's Pal

That is your choice. But you will be convinced when Splash closes.

There was never a chance Disney was going to cancel this retheme on either coast, but once they closed Splash @ MK, it sealed both of their fates. Disney simply can not close Splash and retheme it at MK, and then not do the same at Disneyland.

I don’t know what you’re basing your theory off of, but there’s no basis for it. Yes they have canceled and walked back on several different projects.
I flat out disagree with your hypothesis but I respect you as a person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey's Pal

I thought it was Dick Nunis who pushed/approved the attraction. But I could be wrong on that front.
Prerty sure you are wrong. Eisner was the head cheese and was the one who gave final approval and was looking to bring young adults to the park and create new rides to compete with other local parks. I can link you the Theme Park History video if you would like?

SuddenStorm

I thought it was Dick Nunis who pushed/approved the attraction. But I could be wrong on that front.

Prerty sure you are wrong. Eisner was the head cheese and was the one who gave final approval and was looking to bring young adults to the park and create new rides to compete with other local parks. I can link you the Theme Park History video if you would like?

You guys are both right, geez.

Nunis wanted a water ride in Disneyland and Splash Mountain was the concept WDI had decided on. So yes, he approved it.

Eisner was shown a concept model for Splash when he got brought into Disney and toured WDI. And yes, he approved it.

But also- no theme park history video on Youtube is going to be able to give a complete account of the logistics of greenlighting a multi million dollar theme park attraction 40 years ago. The video at best would be basing it's history off of interviews that are available to everyone.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I am not pretending it is not happening. I am flat out saying its not going to happen. Unless you have an exact closing date for Disneyland's Splash you would like to share with the rest of us you have been hiding. No? Didn't think you did.
And you are flat out wrong and purposefully being delusional. I haven’t a single clue as to what you’re referring to with the “hiding” comment, so I’m going to ignore it.

At this point, you’re trolling. I refuse to further directly engage with you and your silliness, until the ride closes, WHICH IT WILL. I’ve bookmarked your posts. I will call them out when the time comes.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Mickey's Pal

And you are flat out wrong and purposefully being delusional. I haven’t a single clue as to what you’re referring to with the “hiding” comment, so I’m going to ignore it.

At this point, you’re trolling. I refuse to further directly engage with you and your silliness, until the ride closes, WHICH IT WILL. I’ve bookmarked your posts. I will call them out when the time comes.

Enjoy the rest of your week.
Enjoy your week too. Time will tell who is right. I am more than willing to eat crow if I am proven wrong. Can you say you will do the same if I am correct?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wouldn't think any further back-and-forth on this would lead to anything productive.

How's the conversion of the local eateries/shops to TBA going?

mickEblu

I’d love for Splash to stay also but there’s no way they decided to keep the one in the liberal state where the ride fits perfectly into the adjacent New Orleans Square area and chose to change the one in the conservative state where it doesn’t fit the area at all.

IF they actually changed course and decided to keep one I think they’d rehab and keep the one in Florida… that said the odds of either staying Splash is roughly .0000001% imho.

This is logical and also crossed my mind. However, it is also a DL original and they have been doing this thing where they get rid of the clone and keep the original. See Mr. Toad, CBJ, Snow Whites Scary Adventures, TOT etc. It could also be a timing thing. From what I understand TOT at WDW was on the chopping block at DHS as well but George K fought for it. Obviously with Splash it’s a different situation as you have the political component as well as the fact they announced it for DL too and keep talking about it. Lol

Consumer

Splash Mountain is not closing until it is. I fully believe it will close, and I do believe it will be for the Princess and the Frog ride, but until a closing date has been announced, the ride is not currently closing anymore than it was 3 years ago.

Although I’m personally grateful Disney announced plans to retheme the attraction so long ago to help me get over the change, I do think it was a huge mistake to announce it far before anything concrete was to happen. When the ride finally does close and reopen, the general public will simply say “I thought that already happened.”

DavidDL

It better happen out here. The location of the attraction in California and the subject material that plans to replace it are just too perfect for Disneyland. A match made in heaven, as long as it's done well and not on the cheap.

Out in Orlando, though.. meh. Converting Splash into some variation of the Westward River Expedition would be more appropriate for Frontierland. Heck, re-theming it to Home on the Range would have made more sense for Frontierland.

mickEblu

I know it feels like Disney has backed themselves into a corner but there is a way out if they did decide to go that way. The fact that they never really publicly condemned Splash but only highlighted the “positives” of bringing a PatF ride to DL leaves the door open. Actually going through with it in Florida also takes the heat off them as they can point to the PatF ride over there. Of course there was never any “heat” to begin with and the ride has been open the last three years with no issues. They created this issue themselves. Nobody cares that Splash Mountain still exists and I’d say just as many people don’t care about it being rethemed outside of us super fans. When I tell family the ride system is sticking around they say “oh well that’s not too bad then.”

I do think if Splash were to be saved at DL it would because of financial reasons. PatF will be a lateral move if there ever was one. It’ll still have low waits in the winter because you’ll still get drenched. The ride isn’t going to get little girls to hit 40 inches any faster. Sure, they’ll sell some merch in the tiny briar patch store that they can sell right now across the park if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
But people obviously don’t care. The ride has been open for three years now since the announcement. The only issue is that Disney thinks people care.
Well, people don’t care about Disneyland, in general. It doesn’t matter what the public thinks or what they care about. Disney cares and they will do as they see fit.

That cat is still out of the bag.

mickEblu

I wonder what percent of people actually care though? 1%, .1%, .01%?

We’re Disney people so we pay attention to this stuff but most people probably didn’t read past the Splash Mtn becoming Tiana headline and forgot about it as soon as they read the next headline.

In the grander scheme of things, people don’t care either way so why spend the money?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom