Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Rich T

You wont be saying that when all of Disneyland gets turned into Star Wars/Marvel/Avatar land
“My” version of Disneyland, with Nature’s Wonderland, Submarine Voyage, Penny Arcade, ATIS, Country Bears, America Sings, quiet riverside evenings and reasonable prices is long, long gone. I have just a little emotional attachment left for the bits and pieces of Walt Disney’s park that remain.

For me, Splash Mtn. ruined Bear Country and—though younger fans might not realize it—when the project was announced, not everyone was pleased to see a cartoon-based ride being built outside of Fantasyland. What’s happening today is part of the progression that Splash started in the first place.

My memories of Disneyland when it was amazing and NOT a money-sucking vacuum are pretty much all that keeps me interested in the parks’ fates. Splash getting rethemed? This is nothing compared to the damage that’s already been done.

Midwest Elitist

“My” version of Disneyland, with Nature’s Wonderland, Submarine Voyage, Penny Arcade, ATIS, Country Bears, America Sings, quiet riverside evenings and reasonable prices is long, long gone. I have just a little emotional attachment left for the bits and pieces of Walt Disney’s park that remain.

For me, Splash Mtn. ruined Bear Country and—though younger fans might not realize it—when the project was announced, not everyone was pleased to see a cartoon-based ride being built outside of Fantasyland. What’s happening today is part of the progression that Splash started in the first place.

My memories of Disneyland when it was amazing and NOT a money-sucking vacuum are pretty much all that keeps me interested in the parks’ fates. Splash getting rethemed? This is nothing compared to the damage that’s already been done.
It probably hurts for younger folks more because this is the first "classic" (interpret how you will) to close for late Millennials / Gen Z.

Brer Oswald

It’s fine if it means nothing to you. To me and many others, it means quite a bit. Disney had a sort of “whimsical” quality to it for a good 80 or so years. This quality was probably exhibited best by this one ride.

Ever since Iger took over, it feels like he’s slowly been removing that quality from Disney. It’s been a death by a million cuts, but I feel like Splash is the biggest. Everything the company produces these days just feels too corporate, robotic, soulless even. It’s just not for me anymore and I’m not even that old.

Midwest Elitist

Widely considering, but also incorrectly considered.
WDW ToT is so unique and like perfect with that surprise that you aren't in just an elevator, is just something that goes so well with The Twilight Zone theme. We will never get a ride like that again.

Same as Splash, but because it evoked that classic Disney with earworm songs and art. It's Disney's first "real" thrill ride (BTMRR goes 35 MPH) and it was executed perfectly. You can say Space Mountain is a kiddie coaster (not bashing, WDW version is my favorite coaster even being near Great America). You can't say Splash is a kiddie ride. And they did the opposite of ToT: thrill ride, with a surprise whimsical story.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

WDW ToT is so unique and like perfect with that surprise that you aren't in just an elevator, is just something that goes so well with The Twilight Zone theme. We will never get a ride like that again.

Same as Splash, but because it evoked that classic Disney with earworm songs and art. It's Disney's first "real" thrill ride (BTMRR goes 35 MPH) and it was executed perfectly. You can say Space Mountain is a kiddie coaster (not bashing, WDW version is my favorite coaster even being near Great America). You can't say Splash is a kiddie ride. And they did the opposite of ToT: thrill ride, with a surprise whimsical story.
Space Mountain terrifies me. Being in total darkness combined with being surrounded by tons of loud noises, I'm lowkey afraid that if I put my hands up they'll be cut off or I'll be decapitated.

PiratesMansion

My overarching point is that Splash Mountain has a monopoly on nothing.

It is not the first time that people of any age have had to experience the painful loss of a well-regarded, iconic attraction that at one point was an indispensible part of the park/resort experience, seemingly one that would be there forever (See: OG Mine Train, TOT, others).

It was not the first thrill ride (we're not talking about in relation to the rest of the world; we're talking in the context of Disney parks, in which case Matterhorn, Space, and Big Thunder all are indisputably thrill rides that all indisputably opened before Splash Mountain; and it's not as if nothing thrilling ever happened in the history of log flumes before Splash Mountain either).

It's neither the first log flume, nor the first log flume to be heavily themed, nor even the first to follow that overall progression of layout (see: Knott's).

It's not even going to be completely phased out in the world, because Tokyo's version will continue to operate indefinitely. So in that sense it is unlike attractions like Mine Train, Horizons, The Great Movie Ride, and so on where now there truly is nothing for those who loved those attractions except YouTube videos (and some of those attractions don't have that either), pictures, or recollections. Even that isn't true for Splash.

It is simply a good ride that, like many other good rides, is no longer going to be exactly what it was before.

I know this loss is particularly painful for many of you, and I cannot blame you for that; I will miss the ride too. I do, however, get tired of the continued trivializing, handwaving, and excluding of other things so that the tale can be spun that Unlike Before (if you eliminate dozens of other examples for arbitrary reasons), This Is The First Time Anything Significant Or Classic Has Closed At Disney Parks Ever, And It Is The One And Only True Source Of Good In The Universe, Splash Mountain! implication that is behind many of these sorts of posts.

Last edited:

Kirby86

Space Mountain is pretty much a wild mouse in the dark. It's a good starter thrill ride. Splash Mountain falls in that category for me as well. At the very least Tiana's will fall into that same category since it's the same ride system.

Rich T

It’s fine if it means nothing to you. To me and many others, it means quite a bit. Disney had a sort of “whimsical” quality to it for a good 80 or so years. This quality was probably exhibited best by this one ride.

Ever since Iger took over, it feels like he’s slowly been removing that quality from Disney. It’s been a death by a million cuts, but I feel like Splash is the biggest. Everything the company produces these days just feels too corporate, robotic, soulless even. It’s just not for me anymore and I’m not even that old.
I’m an old geezer, but I agree with all this. My family and I have loved Disneyland for over six decades. It’s been a huge part of our lives… up until a few years ago. But now we’ve all pretty much come to the conclusion that today’s Disney seems greedy and soulless, memories are free, and we’d rather meet up at places that offer far better value.

Classic pre-Bobs Disney is still wonderful. I couldn’t care less about IPs Iger purchased and slapped the Disney name on.

I feel bad for anyone upset about Splash Mtn.’s retheme, but it’s really its own unique situation and the change was inevitable. SotS is a movie that understandably offends tons of people. Splash Mtn., despite doing everything it can to NOT be offensive, still uses the film’s characters, music and stories. And wealthy, ambitious Disney suits looking toward their own future career plans do NOT want any association with SoTS in a world currently centered around social media.

I keep saying this, but it’s true: Disneyland does not exist in a vacuum or in the often-referenced “bubble.” It reflects and is effected by the real world in countless ways every day of its existence.

Centauri Space Station

There are plenty of things still around that are from the classic era. Lots of things removed were slowly decaying and are replaced by better quality things

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
IMG_8483.jpg

Disneyland app has removed any mentions of the Br'ers or songs from the ride description.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I think many familiar with Splash Mtn. who love PatF instantly got the same 3 visions in their minds when they heard the announcement:

1) 1st ride sequence: “Gonna Take You There”
2) Scary Sequence: “Friends on the Other Side”
3) Finale: “Dig a Little Deeper”

Musically and emotionally, it’s a perfect fit for the existing layout and even most of the existing sets and props. I really do think this can work.
If only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom