Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Sailor310

For a moment, I had forgotten that Galaxy's Edge replaced Big Thunder BBQ. This sounded like they plan on adding a kids' hands on cooking activity. I could see it back there where Santa and the reindeer used to be.

TP2000

This sounded like they plan on adding a kids' hands on cooking activity. I could see it back there where Santa and the reindeer used to be.

First you'd need to organize the elves into an employee-owned cooperative and remove Santa from his leadership position.

But once you've done that, you're right! This sounds like a bizarre backstory to a children's cooking activity.

Remember when Nestle' sponsored that Toll House Junior Chef cookie kitchen activity at Plaza Pavilion? Maybe 15 years ago? Where kids would enroll and be taught how to make chocolate chip cookies using Nestle' Toll House Chocolate Chips? Because what a 9 year old wants to do when they go to Disneyland is bake cookies as part of the Nestle' family, instead of riding Space Mountain or the Matterhorn.

They should do the same with Tiana's Foods so the CM's working there can share in the vested shares they own as employee-owners.

plazapavilion_juniorchef2007cb.jpg

MoonRakerSCM

The real question is whether guests will be asked to volunteer as recruits to combat whatever evils await tiana in this epic food co-op good vs evil - after shouldn’t we all have a chance to be part of the story ?
*shudder* I just imagined the finale scene before returning to the loading station after the riverboat... Tiana and her co-op friends clapping and smiling at you "Congratulations, you did it! Welcome to the co-op!"

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
That's funny, because I noticed her too. She's clearly a member of the employee-owned cooperative.

View attachment 696887

But I just thought "Why does that lady have an asymmetrical hairdo that screams 1980's Unmarried Woman Who Listens To The Psychedelic Furs And Plays Fastpitch Softball And Can Help You Build A Backyard Deck"?

I can only assume that's an actual box to check somewhere in a Burbank HR office.
7a64u3.jpg

TP2000

This headline today made me chuckle. It's not just us, gang. ;)

“The story really has us shaking our heads and wondering if perhaps Imagineering has lost control of this project,” according to MiceChat.

Commenters on the official Disney Parks Blog blasted the attraction backstory as bland, underwhelming and uninspiring.

“Is there a section on the ride where Tiana has to visit the permitting office and fill out the proper tax forms?” a user named Bishop wrote on the Disney Parks Blog. “Could this ride be any more tedious?”

TP2000

Tiana’s dream in the movie was to own her own restaurant and Disney really thought it was a good idea to say her restaurant should be owned by all of the employees instead.

That angle of this ridiculous queue pre-show story is the most baffling to me.

I don't think the 28 year old HR kids who wrote this story know what an employee-owned cooperative actually is, nor why Tiana would want to turn her lifelong dream of restaurant ownership over to one, or why Tiana would be "inspiring other women to start their own successful businesses" just so that they can also forfeit ownership of their businesses over to a cooperative.

I've been a co-op member of REI since 1972 (actually a consumer co-op, not an employee co-op), back when it was in its original old warehouse building that smelled strongly of tar paper near Lake Union. Just like UPS, Boeing, Nordstrom, Microsoft, Starbucks and Amazon, REI was yet another Seattle invention that took off and became wildly successful around the world. Co-ops can be great, especially when they are consumer co-ops like REI.

But to use the story of an "employee-owned cooperative" in this ride makes no sense, especially for a corporation like Disney that is definitely not employee-owned nor willing to become so. Does Burbank really want to introduce the potentially disruptive concept of employee-ownership into their parks and properties? And if they do, why does the log ride queue have to get involved in that? o_O

Last edited:

mickEblu

This headline today made me chuckle. It's not just us, gang. ;)

“The story really has us shaking our heads and wondering if perhaps Imagineering has lost control of this project,” according to MiceChat.

Commenters on the official Disney Parks Blog blasted the attraction backstory as bland, underwhelming and uninspiring.

“Is there a section on the ride where Tiana has to visit the permitting office and fill out the proper tax forms?” a user named Bishop wrote on the Disney Parks Blog. “Could this ride be any more tedious?”

I’m very happy to see the negative feedback for the Tiana backstory. When Reddit hates it you know they have a problem. Granted, it’s “just a backstory” but if you pay attention to all the PR surrounding this retheme I’d be shocked if this ride had any drama or suspense. Hopefully Disney is paying attention.

TP2000

I’m very happy to see the negative feedback for the Tiana backstory. When Reddit hates it you know they have a problem. Granted, it’s “just a backstory” but if you pay attention to all the PR surrounding this retheme I’d be shocked if this ride had any drama or suspense. Hopefully Disney is paying attention.

The "backstory" in the queue is apparently setting up one of, if not the, main plot points in the ride: "When it turns out there’s been a bit of a mix-up with the party preparations, Tiana invites us to meet her at Tiana’s Foods to help with the missing ingredient for the party."

What hasn't been mentioned yet is just what is the "missing ingredient" that we need to help Tiana get for the party. I'm kind of hoping it's something sickeningly sweet like "Love" or "Family". But it's probably just going to be that hot sauce they pumped up in the Parks Blog post. Which you can then buy at Tiana's employee-owned cooperative stores in New Orleans Square, Critter Country and Downtown Disney.

tba48558937492484.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

The "backstory" in the queue is apparently setting up one of, if not the, main plot points in the ride: "When it turns out there’s been a bit of a mix-up with the party preparations, Tiana invites us to meet her at Tiana’s Foods to help with the missing ingredient for the party."

What hasn't been mentioned yet is just what is the "missing ingredient" that we need to help Tiana get for the party. I'm kind of hoping it's something sickeningly sweet like "Love" or "Family". But it's probably just going to be that hot sauce they pumped up in the Parks Blog post. Which you can then buy at Tiana's employee-owned cooperative stores in New Orleans Square, Critter Country and Downtown Disney.

tba48558937492484.jpg

So if the queue is setting up the backstory are we to assume the barn/ Splash indoor queue is being rethemed into a kitchen? 👎🏼

Why are they trying so hard to mess up something that can be so much easier?

mlayton144

tba48558937492484.jpg
Better drink your Ovaltine

TP2000

So if the queue is setting up the backstory are we to assume the barn/ Splash indoor queue is being rethemed into a kitchen? 👎🏼
I guess? But to be honest, there's not a lot of space to work with for this queue story. Like you said, I can think of only one space in the Splash Mt. queue, just inside the barn doors, where a small display/show could be set up that included actual props.

This is really the only spot to set up "both a working and teaching kitchen" where we'd see examples of "working with cooperative members to teach gardening and cooking to children of all ages".

This is how it looks today...

1117splash-mountain-barn.jpg

Almost the entire rest of the queue is a narrow, two-lane hallway along walls and caves.

Not much you can do for most of this narrow, winding queue but put up a few posters on the walls celebrating Tiana's hot sauce and the benefits of employee-ownership after earning tenured based voting shares in the co-op.

Or as the official backstory says, the signage and graphics along these narrow hallways is where they'd portray the cooperative as a "treasured meeting place to spend time together and celebrate a diverse community."

DSC_8284.jpg

Although, I'm sure we're going to see examples of Tiana's "boutique farm" in the outdoor sections of the queue, from behind the Briar Patch shop down to the barn doors. But even that space is narrow and limiting, and won't be seen by Lightening Lightning Lane users.

I'm talking about that part of the queue that whenever I go through it I'm reminded it's where the ladies started singing to the construction guys in the Splash Mountain Rap video. You know the one...

ThisAgedBeautifully!.jpg

Why are they trying so hard to mess up something that can be so much easier?

Careful! You are thisclose to being scheduled for a meeting with HR. 🧐

Last edited:

_caleb

Let's say Disney were to contract an indigenous musician from a far-off place to create the soundtrack for the new live-action remake of a beloved animated film. Say they were to ask this artist to create songs that represent her home culture. They assign talented studio musicians from within the company to assist the musician in her work.

Now, because the artist is from a different culture, she may go about the creation of her music in a very different way than many music aficionados around here might be used to. She might use different instruments and techniques, or common instruments in different ways to achieve a sound that reflects her culture. While she's working on the project, she may talk about her music in her own language and in ways that are rooted in how her home culture creates and experiences music.

Imagine if Disney fans decided the soundtrack wasn't worth a listen (and the film not worth watching) simply because she didn't talk about her work the same way Randy Newman talked about his. Wouldn't it be strange if people judged the soundtrack (without having heard it) based on the cultural influences she cites as her inspiration? Or if music fans dismissed the musician outright because of who she is, where she's from, or because they'd already decided they don't like music from different cultures?

Consumer

Let's say Disney were to contract an indigenous musician from a far-off place to create the soundtrack for the new live-action remake of a beloved animated film. Say they were to ask this artist to create songs that represent her home culture. They assign talented studio musicians from within the company to assist the musician in her work.

Now, because the artist is from a different culture, she may go about the creation of her music in a very different way than many music aficionados around here might be used to. She might use different instruments and techniques, or common instruments in different ways to achieve a sound that reflects her culture. While she's working on the project, she may talk about her music in her own language and in ways that are rooted in how her home culture creates and experiences music.

Imagine if Disney fans decided the soundtrack wasn't worth a listen (and the film not worth watching) simply because she didn't talk about her work the same way Randy Newman talked about his. Wouldn't it be strange if people judged the soundtrack (without having heard it) based on the cultural influences she cites as her inspiration? Or if music fans dismissed the musician outright because of who she is, where she's from, or because they'd already decided they don't like music from different cultures?
What the heck are you talking about

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom