Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Brer Panther

Magical lighting effects triggered by the film’s voodoo priestess Mama Odie will fill the hilltop cavern with glowing colors
So, yeah. There's likely going to be no antagonist, no voodoo spirits showing up to mess with us for the heck of it, no scary elements whatsoever. Just a pleasant trip through No Conflictland like Frozen Ever After and Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride.
So looks like a majority of the AAs should stay, maybe some screens added for background
Even if new animatronics are added, that doesn't mean the Splash Mountain/America Sings animatronics will survive. There's still a fifty-percent chance most of them will be scrapped.

If nothing else, the Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox animatronics are definitely going to get scrapped. I can't even see them being reskinned. The Brer Bear animatronics might get reskinned as Louis like everyone's been suggesting.
Fantasy isn't problematic.
Talking rabbits and foxes qualify as fantasy too, but that doesn't stop people from dubbing Splash Mountain problematic.
I just hope the Imagineers remembered that theme park rides are supposed to be fun. Tiana’s Business Venture is not a fun premise for a thrill ride, so I’m really hoping this tortured backstory exists mostly for PR purposes and to provide some justification for having a mountain in a bayou — and so in the actual ride, Tiana’s LinkedIn resume is merely a perfectly serviceable MacGuffin for jumpstarting the fun. But I’m beginning to worry Imagineering has their priorities mixed up.
Yeah, having the entire attraction focus on Tiana's restaurant sounds really lame to me. As does "she needs to find an ingredient for the celebration!"... what kind of ingredient could she possibly find in a bayou?
Ridiculously elaborate backstory but then the actual ride entails... a drama-free trip to Mardi Gras? Do we know of any other plot points?
Maybe the "Louis can't find his trumpet" thing is just a subplot?
Only one or two people were defending the re-theme.
I'm pretty sure it's been more than "one or two people".

PiratesMansion

I think Tiana's Foods on a water tower looks dumb, but otherwise I really don't see the problems others are seeing. Then again, I'm sure I've missed several images of the retheme, and likewise I know would feel differently if this was a different attraction being swapped out and rethemed.

Personally, I'm rooting for Hungry Bear to become the Tiana restaurant (which makes more sense with ride proximity anyway) instead of Cafe Orleans, but they'll do what they want to do. There's a part of me that wonders if they might actually swap out that $10,000 a group restaurant they were hyping around five years ago-I would like to believe it didn't sell particularly well, though I'm sure I'm incredibly wrong-instead of just swapping out one of the other restaurants. I don't know if it's just my perception or reality, but more dining capacity couldn't hurt the park.

Dear Prudence

So, yeah. There's likely going to be no antagonist, no voodoo spirits showing up to mess with us for the heck of it, no scary elements whatsoever. Just a pleasant trip through No Conflictland like Frozen Ever After and Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride.

Even if new animatronics are added, that doesn't mean the Splash Mountain/America Sings animatronics will survive. There's still a fifty-percent chance most of them will be scrapped.

If nothing else, the Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox animatronics are definitely going to get scrapped. I can't even see them being reskinned. The Brer Bear animatronics might get reskinned as Louis like everyone's been suggesting.

Talking rabbits and foxes qualify as fantasy too, but that doesn't stop people from dubbing Splash Mountain problematic.

Yeah, having the entire attraction focus on Tiana's restaurant sounds really lame to me. As does "she needs to find an ingredient for the celebration!"... what kind of ingredient could she possibly find in a bayou?

Maybe the "Louis can't find his trumpet" thing is just a subplot?

I'm pretty sure it's been more than "one or two people".
you've never even been on this Splash Mountain. my dude, I am beggin you.....

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Hahah I was kidding but I’d like to think there is a specific kind of pass holder they re talking about. We spend a lot of money at the parks. But yeah we went between 20-25 times last year.
I’m pretty sure you would still count as an “unfavorable.” You’re going that many times and not paying for full admission each time?? Unacceptable!!

Midwest Elitist

We are absolutely the minority. If crowds matched the energy here, the crowds would be low. But they’re not low, they’re extremely high. I’m not on Twitter. There are plenty of people who are excited for this project.

How can you call this rushed when it’s debuting four years after it was initially announced? It took five years for Cars Land to open after it was announced in 2007. This is taking four. We’ve seen multiple videos of the team in New Orleans talking to people, learning the culture, trying to get this right. To calm it “rushed” is unfair. But that’s the first thing people who aren’t working on the project, such as everyone here, throw out because of bias and because they want Splash to stay. There’s no pleasing everyone, though.

A disaster? Okay, well you’re welcome to your feelings.
If you're saying crowds don't care, they will still come, you're 100% correct. Of those who actually "pay attention" to Disney, I don't think it's even close.

Also, it's been two years (you mean when it opens, my bad) doesn't mean they've actually done much during that time. Maybe my belief will be completely destroyed on Sunday.

And yes, it's absolutely my feelings, that's why I said "I think, but I could be wrong".

Dear Prudence

If you're saying crowds don't care, they will still come, you're 100% correct. Of those who actually "pay attention" to Disney, I don't think it's even close.

Also, it's been two years, doesn't mean they've actually done much during that time. Maybe my belief will be completely destroyed on Sunday.

And yes, it's absolutely my feelings, that's why I said "I think, but I could be wrong".
I mean, a lot of people didn't even seem to know that it was changing.

Vegas Disney Fan

now it seems like the water tower is huge compared to the mountain but is that being done on purpose to make it look less of a mountain? Are they trying to justify the idea of what looks like a mountain in a New Orleans setting? Is that the reason for the whole top of it being removed?

I had a similar thought, I think the water tower size is meant to “shorten” the mountain, this has me wondering if reverse forced perspective is a thing… would smaller scale at ground level and larger scale at the top make it look shorter?

I also thought the new top, sans tree, was intentional to attempt to make it look shorter, such an odd concept for a park that has used forced perspective from day one to make everything look bigger than it actually is.

Dear Prudence

I'm pretty sure it was indeed more than two people.
...and those people, however many they were, don't matter. Mute them and you never have to see it again. Then you never have to see what they say about it or care what they think. They can think their opinion is sacrosanct canonical law, but it's not (some of the ones whom I think you are referring to had to be regularly corrected anyway).

Find out when the closing date for the current version of this is, and decide if you want to say goodbye to it or not. There is no use and no good with the whataboutisms or the hypotheticals. "what about [this], what about [that]?!" More than one thing can be true at the same time. The voodoo ish was rightfully nixed. There's supposed to be new characters, so maybe one of the new characters will be a villain--we don't KNOW yet. It's an awful lot of energy and worrying to expend, especially on a version of an attraction you've never been on!!!!!

PiratesMansion

I second the mute recommendation...at some point over the last year or so I started getting VERY liberal with the mute button and it has immeasurably improved the forum experience.

If you know people are going to spout nonsense more often than not, just remove them from the conversation. It's wonderful.

Dear Prudence

If you know people are going to spout nonsense more often than not, just remove them from the conversation. It's wonderful.
1662766584102.png

mickEblu

I’m pretty sure you would still count as an “unfavorable.” You’re going that many times and not paying for full admission each time?? Unacceptable!!

Haha I’m not sure. I’m sure I spend more money per year than the average family that vacations at DL for a 2-3 day trip ESPECIALLY if they re staying offsite . I just did the math and between passes, food, merch, parking and random on site hotel stays we spend about 7-8k per year on Disneyland. Granted this year was a little different coming off the pandemic. We spent a bit more than usual.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Haha I’m not sure. I’m sure I spend more money per year than the average family that vacations at DL for a 2-3 day trip ESPECIALLY if they re staying offsite . I just did the math and between passes, food, merch, parking and random on site hotel stays we spend about 7-8k per year on Disneyland. Granted this year was a little different coming off the pandemic. We spent a bit more than usual.
It’s never enough for the Mouse, unfavorable one. Spend. MORE.

D.Silentu

I just got a chance to see pictures of the new model of the mountain and I must say I'm already missing the original concept art. I have no doubt that the final design could grow on me but I'm sorry that we are no longer getting a tree that would have lit up with fireflies at night. I'm joining the chorus with those saying that a water tower is a strange substitute. Then again, for two years that concept art was the only solid art we had of the ride so I may just have grown attached to it, having little else to grasp.

To get the topic out of the way, I will also say that I don't care for the transformation of Tiana into a business magnate. I haven't met many little girls who are enamored of those and it seems like Disney is trying to make her more important and meaningful, as if her character and motivations in the movie just weren't enough.

While I may come around on the facade, I'm not sure I will regarding the inclusion of Tiana's Palace . My recollection is that in the movie the restaurant was huge. Impractical in size for Disneyland in general. Seeing as it is to take over an existing eatery, there aren't any that can realistically adopt the dimensions seen in the movie, nor is there one I wish replaced. With the immersion push in themed design, seen in places like Cars Land and Pandora, I'm surprised that they're moving forward with what can't help but be an inferior version. The better way to go would have been to turn an existing New Orleans Square facility into Tiana's new restaurant that had just opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom