Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Midwest Elitist

It just gives me "there's a quiz at the end" vibes! Like I hope I am not expected to know all of the new characters and their lives as FBI agents or whatever.
As you are ascending the lift hill you are asked questions about Tiana's business, dropped throughout the ride. If you get them all right, a new path opens up which is a spiral, calm ride down to the finale!

SuddenStorm

You know, it's really telling that everyone on here who was defending the re-theme, or at least the motive behind it, is looking at what Disney is putting out with this and saying "Ummmmmm that doesn't look great".

So who exactly is Disney pleasing with this? Since the Splash fans are watching a beloved attraction get bastardized, and the people who agree with the change are saying "Wait at least make it good!"

So we're gonna be left with a mediocre log flume that leaves neither camp happy. The facade has been stripped of everything that differentiated it from other non Disney log flumes.

This just makes me nervous for what Disney's planning on doing to Tomorrowland since WDI clearly needs to stay away from the place for a bit and just let Disneyland be Disneyland.

SuddenStorm

I mean, I think the same company built Splash and that Knotts ride. But from a Disney standpoint, it's pretty sad that your competitor has something comparable.

Bud Hurlbut was consulted during the creation of Splash Mountain so there's a link there. I'm not sure if the same company manufactured the flume and the aesthetic elements.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You know, it's really telling that everyone on here who was defending the re-theme, or at least the motive behind it, is looking at what Disney is putting out with this and saying "Ummmmmm that doesn't look great".

So who exactly is Disney pleasing with this? Since the Splash fans are watching a beloved attraction get bastardized, and the people who agree with the change are saying "Wait at least make it good!"

So we're gonna be left with a mediocre log flume that leaves neither camp happy. The facade has been stripped of everything that differentiated it from other non Disney log flumes.

This just makes me nervous for what Disney's planning on doing to Tomorrowland since WDI clearly needs to stay away from the place for a bit and just let Disneyland be Disneyland.
Only one or two people were defending the re-theme.

We are the minority. The ride will likely be a huge hit and will have long lines, and I’m betting some of the same people complaining in this thread will be in said line. Disney is pleasing the general fans. Not us, we don’t really matter.

Disneyland being Disneyland is subjective. Ask my mom and she’ll tell you that Disneyland hasn’t been the same since the 70s/80s.

Suspirian

We are the minority. The ride will likely be a huge hit and will have long lines, and I’m betting some of the same people complaining in this thread will be in said line. Disney is pleasing the general fans. Not us, we don’t really matter.

Disneyland being Disneyland is subjective. Ask my mom and she’ll tell you that Disneyland hasn’t been the same since the 70s/80s.

Im definitely still excited to find out what they have in store, and the additions to the exterior are pretty inoffensive to me. Think they could've taken a bit longer to cook some ideas up for it though.

Ismael Flores

when i first saw the first artwork i was ok doesn't look to bad. The tree and boat might actually look pretty cool at night with the lighting but how do they explain a mountain in New Orleans. Then i figured its not a mountain anymore but a large tree with a huge root system.

Now that i see the model i think it looks bland as if they just said lets get rid of the thorns, tree stub and add a water tower and signs and we are done.

now it seems like the water tower is huge compared to the mountain but is that being done on purpose to make it look less of a mountain? Are they trying to justify the idea of what looks like a mountain in a New Orleans setting? Is that the reason for the whole top of it being removed?

New Orleans has one spot they call a mountain, Laborde and that is only 43 feet high

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Im definitely still excited to find out what they have in store, and the additions to the exterior are pretty inoffensive to me. Think they could've taken a bit longer to cook some ideas up for it though.
For sure. It’s just the constant assumptions and conclusions based on a few words and a little model are irritating. Wait until you (general you) ride the freaking thing first.

Now I know what I sounded like when I did the same thing years ago for GE and other projects. Annoying AF. I apologize.

Dear Prudence

when i first saw the first artwork i was ok doesn't look to bad. The tree and boat might actually look pretty cool at night with the lighting but how do they explain a mountain in New Orleans. Then i figured its not a mountain anymore but a large tree with a huge root system.

Now that i see the model i think it looks bland as if they just said lets get rid of the thorns, tree stub and add a water tower and signs and we are done.

now it seems like the water tower is huge compared to the mountain but is that being done on purpose to make it look less of a mountain? Are they trying to justify the idea of what looks like a mountain in a New Orleans setting? Is that the reason for the whole top of it being removed?

New Orleans has one spot so cal mountain "Laborde" and that is only 43 feet high
What they could have and should have done, is made the "mountain" a Baldcypress and have everything grow out from there. That way the "flooding" all made sense.

1662761838324.png

Midwest Elitist

I don't think it's true we're the minority, if you leave Twitter, it's panned universally and in my circles, I haven't seen anyone excited for it if they are Disney fans, and those who had hope are now dismayed with the new information.

Fact of the matter is Disney can do what it wants, they don't care what we think. I think this thing is going to be a disaster, I could be wrong but I think the chances of it being a rush job have proven to be much higher with the D23 news.

Dear Prudence

To be fair and honest, I came in with an open mind and said (repeatedly) I would prefer it to be good, but instead we got a convoluted corny backstory, concept art that looks like it's from DeviantArt circa 2008 (and this is not disrespect to the artist, as a freelance artist, I know what kind of budgets and time frames people are given), and a very cheap and unprofessional looking model. With a water tower that has a tiara. I feel like we're being trolled.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I don't think it's true we're the minority, if you leave Twitter, it's panned universally and in my circles, I haven't seen anyone excited for it if they are Disney fans, and those who had hope are now dismayed with the new information.

Fact of the matter is Disney can do what it wants, they don't care what we think. I think this thing is going to be a disaster, I could be wrong but I think the chances of it being a rush job have proven to be much higher with the D23 news.
We are absolutely the minority. If crowds matched the energy here, the crowds would be low. But they’re not low, they’re extremely high. I’m not on Twitter. There are plenty of people who are excited for this project.

How can you call this rushed when it’s debuting four years after it was initially announced? It took five years for Cars Land to open after it was announced in 2007. This is taking four. We’ve seen multiple videos of the team in New Orleans talking to people, learning the culture, trying to get this right. To calm it “rushed” is unfair. But that’s the first thing people who aren’t working on the project, such as everyone here, throw out because of bias and because they want Splash to stay. There’s no pleasing everyone, though.

A disaster? Okay, well you’re welcome to your feelings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom