Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm doing this because it's annoying that Disney is being praised for something that they're most likely doing out of cowardice.

What about what @TP2000 claimed about how the connection to Song of the South wasn't the reason but rather a desire to sell Tiana merchandise and "Instagrammable" food?

That's speculation. If there really were plans to retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog back in 2009, I imagine those plans went out the window once the movie "underperformed".

Indeed.

How so? I gave you reasons why it didn't.

So why is the reason I keep bringing up (that they are indeed doing this because people online demanded it) constantly being brushed off as false?

We have no proof of that being true.

Because Disney couldn't possibly have been lying when they said that, right?

That was referring to another poster.

So you're basically saying that we should be okay with Disney getting rid of any attraction because they own it, not us, and other attractions have been closed in the past. Basically claiming we shouldn't care about attractions because they're just bound to close anyway.

By that logic, why should we care about Disney parks at all? Why should we go to the parks and ride these attractions when we know they'll eventually get shut down anyway? I could go to a state fair if I wanted to go on a ride. Are you implying that all of the hard work that went into attractions like Pirates, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, etc. was pointless and doesn't matter because eventually they'll just get shut down anyway?
Thank-you for repeating yourself again.

Hey, folks, let's just stop responding.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
So you're basically saying that we should be okay with Disney getting rid of any attraction because they own it, not us, and other attractions have been closed in the past. Basically claiming we shouldn't care about attractions because they're just bound to close anyway.

By that logic, why should we care about Disney parks at all? Why should we go to the parks and ride these attractions when we know they'll eventually get shut down anyway? I could go to a state fair if I wanted to go on a ride. Are you implying that all of the hard work that went into attractions like Pirates, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, etc. was pointless and doesn't matter because eventually they'll just get shut down anyway?

Nope. Not what I’m saying, and, again, you’re misinterpreting my posts. I’m saying YOU SHOULD BE USED TO IT BY NOW. You questioned whether pretty much any classic was safe and I and many others told you nothing is 100% safe. Disneyland is nearing 70. Think about all the earlier rides that were considered classics that are now gone. Those earlier generations of fans had to get used to the changes and removals, just like the current generations. Again, IT SUCKS, but that’s been the reality since 1955. So I’m not sure why you’re questioning if anything is safe. Nothing is and nothing has ever been.

I was livid when the changes to Pirates were announced. Then they announced that Splash would be removed, I was genuinely shocked. But I’ve reached a level of maturity to the point where I’m not going to lose my s*it every time something I love at Disneyland gets altered or removed. I can be upset, but I’m going to accept it and move on because there’s NOTHING I can do to reverse the changes. The pandemic helped with this. I had time to think about life and mature. While I will always love Disneyland, it has moved significantly down on my priority list over the years. At this point, it’s not there at all. I’ve developed stronger interests in other things as I’ve aged. I turned 30-years-old this year. I’m done getting teed off about changes being made to Disneyland. Yes, they’re upsetting, but I move on now. I’m not fixating and obsessing over them. I have bigger things to stress over and get mad at in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

That's speculation. If there really were plans to retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog back in 2009, I imagine those plans went out the window once the movie "underperformed".
PATF has held up very well, thanks in large part to an excellent soundtrack. My kids include it in the pantheon of great Disney fairytales. They couldn't care less about more recent movies that did better at the box office (e.g. Zootopia).

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I was livid when the changes to Pirates were announced. Then they announced that Splash would be removed, I was genuinely shocked. But I’ve reached a level of maturity to the point where I’m not going to lose my s*it every time something I love at Disneyland gets altered or removed. I can be upset, but I’m going to accept it and move on because there’s NOTHING I can do to reverse the changes. The pandemic helped with this. I had time to think about life and mature. While I will always love Disneyland, it has moved significantly down on my priority list over the years. At this point, it’s not there at all. I’ve developed stronger interests in other things as I’ve aged. I turned 30-years-old this year. I’m done getting teed off about changes being made to Disneyland. Yes, they’re upsetting, but I move on now. I’m not fixating and obsessing over them. I have bigger things to stress over and get mad at in my life.
You summed up my thoughts exactly. To this day I still cringe and wince a bit every time I float past the new Pirates auction scene or when I see the vacant People Mover track since it was my favorite attraction as a kid. I also still like to hang around the Pooh area since it still takes me back to country bears. Perhaps most concerning is the over reliance on Genie+/mobile devices, general cutbacks, and park reservations which really dampens the overall experience.

I came to the revelation a while ago that I either have to accept the changes the company makes to the park in hopes I still derive value from the sum total of all parts of the experience, or eventually I can just seperate myself from my fandom/appreciation entirely.

Point being, I ultimately still see enough value in the park to me to keep going back. So I try my best to charge forward. But I share your thoughts that if folks genuinely don’t find value in modern Disney, they can and should vote with their wallets. It’s a big world out there to explore. And even as our favorite attractions may change or be removed the memories of them will not, ergo the ideal Disneyland of our memories will always hold a place in one’s heart. As a fan of a property should bring some joy hopefully.

P.S. happy belated 30th birthday.

TsWade2

Well, if Splash Mountain can't be saved, then I guess when it closes, I'm probably eventually going to make a memorial thread of Splash Mountain.😢

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You summed up my thoughts exactly. To this day I still cringe and wince a bit every time I float past the new Pirates auction scene or when I see the vacant People Mover track since it was my favorite attraction as a kid. I also still like to hang around the Pooh area since it still takes me back to country bears. Perhaps most concerning is the over reliance on Genie+/mobile devices, general cutbacks, and park reservations which really dampens the overall experience.

I came to the revelation a while ago that I either have to accept the changes the company makes to the park in hopes I still derive value from the sum total of all parts of the experience, or eventually I can just seperate myself from my fandom/appreciation entirely.

Point being, I ultimately still see enough value in the park to me to keep going back. So I try my best to charge forward. But I share your thoughts that if folks genuinely don’t find value in modern Disney, they can and should vote with their wallets. It’s a big world out there to explore. And even as our favorite attractions may change or be removed the memories of them will not, ergo the ideal Disneyland of our memories will always hold a place in one’s heart. As a fan of a property should bring some joy hopefully.

P.S. happy belated 30th birthday.
Thank you!

Yes, exactly. I’m never going to prefer the new auction scene, but I’ve gotten used to it by now and it doesn’t upset me too much to the point where I refuse to ride Pirates at all. That’s my favorite ride, and thus, I’m still going to ride. If we continue to go, clearly we’re still finding things to enjoy.

If some are extremely bothered by the removal of Splash, then they should consider no longer going to the parks, or don’t go on what’s replacing it. But I bet the ones complaining will be in Tiana’s line. We as humans love to complain, but if we like something enough, we’ll suck it up after complaining and continue to engage.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
What about what @TP2000 claimed about how the connection to Song of the South wasn't the reason but rather a desire to sell Tiana merchandise and "Instagrammable" food?
To quote the geese "A little bit of this and a little bit of thaaaaaat"
We may never know. Also PATF, while underperforming, was still popular. As opposed Song of the South, which even at that time was considered controversial

Rich T

I blame Bob Iger for replacing Splash Mountain. Everybody knows how Bob Iger feels about Song of the South.
He thought the same thing nearly everyone who sees SotS thinks: What a boring, mediocre movie.

And he came to the smart conclusion: that film is not worth one millisecond of the headaches rereleasing it again in the U.S. would have cost the company.

Props to Iger for actually sitting through a screening of SotS before making his very sane decision to not touch the film with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:

Kirby86

I still think Disney should've done more with the Brers over the years to help further distance them from Song of the South.
I think this was the plan after Song of the South to just have shorts with the Brers. However the controversy of the film put those plans to bed should they have? Not my place to say, However they continued to use the characters for years in comics with no mention of the Uncle Remus character.

Dear Prudence

It says they consulted with academics, but I would like to know who they were! Who were their sources? (I am not being picky, I just want to know what books and resources they referenced.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom