Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Okay, another "insider" in the Disney World Rumors thread about the ride is claiming that the plan for the retheme dates back to 2017, not 2019, and that it was originally just meant for Disneyland but then Splash Mountain merchandise not selling as well as they were hoping made them decide to bring it to Disney World too. And that the main reason they came up with it isn't because of Song of the South being racist or because they want to sell "Instagrammable" food or give people of color representation, but rather because the Brers aren't a profitable franchise. That's it. The fact that Disney previously dubbed The Princess and the Frog a financial failure at the box office apparently doesn't factor into any of this.

I'm just gonna take this with a grain of salt considering it's yet another example of "insiders" contradicting each other, but if there's any truth to this, your precious Mr. Toad is likely gonna be on the chopping block next. After all, Mr. Toad is hardly any more of a profitable franchise than the Brers are.

Heck, ANYTHING could be on the chopping block now. Indiana Jones? Not a franchise that's making Disney money right now, so adios to that. Disney World's Muppet*Vision 3D? The Muppets haven't profitable for years now, so that's likely gonna get bulldozed for more Star Wars crap... and Disney hasn't done anything with A Bug's Life in years, so I guess the Florida version of It's Tough to Be a Bug is getting the axe too. Pinocchio's Daring Journey? If the live action Pinocchio remake isn't a success (or at least doesn't sell enough merchandise), away it goes. How much merchandise does Peter Pan or Roger Rabbit sell? Guess those rides are gonna be replaced too. And lord help you if you're not based on an IP... that rumored Moana overlay Tiki Room is getting more and more likely now, isn't it?

Y'know that quote from Walt Disney about how the tail does not wag the dog? Well, in Iger and Chapek's Disney the tail does indeed wag the dog, and it's going to keep wagging the dog until Disneyland is nothing more than a wasteland of princess, Marvel and Star Wars-themed attractions and gift shops.
Get used to it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay, another "insider" in the Disney World Rumors thread about the ride is claiming that the plan for the retheme dates back to 2017, not 2019, and that it was originally just meant for Disneyland but then Splash Mountain merchandise not selling as well as they were hoping made them decide to bring it to Disney World too. And that the main reason they came up with it isn't because of Song of the South being racist or because they want to sell "Instagrammable" food or give people of color representation, but rather because the Brers aren't a profitable franchise. That's it. The fact that Disney previously dubbed The Princess and the Frog a financial failure at the box office apparently doesn't factor into any of this.

I'm just gonna take this with a grain of salt considering it's yet another example of "insiders" contradicting each other, but if there's any truth to this, your precious Mr. Toad is likely gonna be on the chopping block next. After all, Mr. Toad is hardly any more of a profitable franchise than the Brers are.

Heck, ANYTHING could be on the chopping block now. Indiana Jones? Not a franchise that's making Disney money right now, so adios to that. Disney World's Muppet*Vision 3D? The Muppets haven't profitable for years now, so that's likely gonna get bulldozed for more Star Wars crap... and Disney hasn't done anything with A Bug's Life in years, so I guess the Florida version of It's Tough to Be a Bug is getting the axe too. Pinocchio's Daring Journey? If the live action Pinocchio remake isn't a success (or at least doesn't sell enough merchandise), away it goes. How much merchandise does Peter Pan or Roger Rabbit sell? Guess those rides are gonna be replaced too. And lord help you if you're not based on an IP... that rumored Moana overlay Tiki Room is getting more and more likely now, isn't it?

Y'know that quote from Walt Disney about how the tail does not wag the dog? Well, in Iger and Chapek's Disney the tail does indeed wag the dog, and it's going to keep wagging the dog until Disneyland is nothing more than a wasteland of princess, Marvel and Star Wars-themed attractions and gift shops.
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Kirby86

Well Roger Rabbit is also co owned by Amblin so Spielberg would get a chunk of that money so I can see Disney wanting to cut out the middle man. I love A Bugs life but even Pixar forgot about it.
The Muppets? They're in a weird situation where Disney is still making Muppet content in and outside of the Parks. If I was a betting man I'd say Muppetvison 3d will eventually be eaten by Star Wars but the Muppets presence will still be felt.
As for Tiana's ride she is a Disney Princess I think most people on this board felt this was about at least partially about getting more Princess merchandise into the park.

Midwest Elitist

I'm just waiting for the: "you're all wrong, Tiana was being worked on in 2010".

The 2019, I believe, you got me there. But now the years keep moving back....

Actually, considering how long Tron has taken, Tiana taking over Splash was conceived in 1992.

Beat that.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

How is any of that inconsistent with what folks have been long saying though? New IP sells more and is more profitable to market which is why swapping IP in the parks makes financial sense to Chapek, particularly in light of synergy with D+.

See what’s happening/been happening to Country Bears to Pooh, Toad to Pooh, Twilight Zone to GotG, Tiki Room Under New Management (took a fire to restore it to its former glory), Swiss Family Robinson/Tarzan replacement, the gutting of Tom Sawyers Island, the Jacking up (Sparrow edition) of Pirates, the Jacking up (Skellington edition) of Haunted Mansion, replacing Bugs Land with Marvel, replacing 1/3 of RoA to make room for Star Wars, replacing Muppets at DCA, and last but not least the total evisceration of Epcot.

The thing with Toad at DL is it takes up very limited real estate. Same with Tiki Room.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It’s going to be sad to have Splash/Tiana unavailable for two years. IMO the attraction highlight of any day at Disneyland is hopping from Pirates to Mansion (OG) to Splash — especially early morning or late at night, when the lines are short/nonexistent.

Haven’t experienced this lineup of amazing adjacent attractions since pre-covid. Then Pirates was down for a while there, and soon Mansion will be Jack Skellington’d. I imagine by the time OG Mansion returns, Splash will be down.

One day the all-star East side lineup will return 😝

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I'm just waiting for the: "you're all wrong, Tiana was being worked on in 2010".

The 2019, I believe, you got me there. But now the years keep moving back....

Actually, considering how long Tron has taken, Tiana taking over Splash was conceived in 1992.

Beat that.
Actually in that fateful traffic jam, Tony Baxter himself was heard Muttering "Yes, a log flume on Song Of the South! Hmmmm....a little Tiana would be nice though"

Disney Irish

Premium Member

So basically it confirms what some of us have been trying to say for the last 2 years, and yet you still say it contradicts what other insiders have said.

WDI has plans upon plans for retheming every attraction at all Disney Parks around the world. I would guess that Splash has had some form of retheming plan since at least the early 00s, if not earlier.

And yes everything is on the chopping block. Disney is first and foremost a business, if it doesn't make them money in some way they will sure as heck find a way to make money from it. That means if an attraction isn't selling merch then its likely to have a plan for retheme, just needs a budget assigned to it.

This has been true since at least the 80s, if not earlier.

As I keep saying, Disney owns it we don't, they can do whatever they want to it and we have no choice but to either accept it or don't go.

Brer Panther

Get used to it.
No need to be so rude.
If folks are just now realizing that nothing is 100% safe at Disneyland, then they haven’t been paying attention. It sucks, but it’s the reality. Disney doesn’t care if we like it or not. They’re going to continue to do what they’ve been doing for decades.
So basically, what you're saying is that we're not allowed to complain about attractions we like being closed because Disney's been closing down attractions for years? I don't recall anybody ever telling somebody who complained about Florida's Mr. Toad being shut down to suck it up because, hey, If You Had Wings and Kitchen Kabaret were shut down before then.

Would you still be saying that if it were, I dunno, Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain being rethemed?
How is any of that inconsistent with what folks have been long saying though?
Well, the most consistent reason I see on this site for why Splash Mountain should be rethemed is "Song of the South is racist, ergo Splash Mountain is racist too". According to the post I saw, the reason for the retheme is that Brer Rabbit merchandise doesn't sell.
The thing with Toad at DL is it takes up very limited real estate. Same with Tiki Room.
That's not gonna stop Disney.
So basically it confirms what some of us have been trying to say for the last 2 years, and yet you still say it contradicts what other insiders have said.
No, it does not.

GiveMeTheMusic claimed that the retheme was greenlit by Disney in 2019 because they were afraid Splash Mountain and its having the Brers in it was making people uncomfortable. TP2000 claimed that the retheme was greenlit by Disney in 2019 NOT because they were afraid Splash Mountain was making anyone uncomfortable but because they wanted to sell Tiana merchandise and "Instagrammable" food. Disney claimed that the retheme was in development "for at least a year" before the announcement - which most pre-rethemers on here believed without a second thought. WDW Pro claimed that the retheme was greenlit because they were afraid the demand to get Splash Mountain rethemed online would lead to a Disney Plus boycott.

And now here's another "insider" claiming that the retheme was in development since 2017 - NOT 2019 - and that it was greenlit because Disney's not being able to sell enough Brer Rabbit merchandise led them to believe that people didn't like Splash Mountain anymore.

All of these "insiders" have contradicted each other in one way or another.
WDI has plans upon plans for retheming every attraction at all Disney Parks around the world. I would guess that Splash has had some form of retheming plan since at least the early 00s, if not earlier.
In the 2000s, Splash Mountain was actually a well-liked ride. It's possible that pitches to retheme it were whipped up by Imagineers, but I sincerely doubt that there were any actual greenlit, well-developed plans to retheme Splash Mountain before 2020.

It used to be that an attraction's popularity regulated how long it stayed open.
And yes everything is on the chopping block. Disney is first and foremost a business, if it doesn't make them money in some way they will sure as heck find a way to make money from it. That means if an attraction isn't selling merch then its likely to have a plan for retheme, just needs a budget assigned to it.
Exactly. So your precious Mr. Toad that everyone is insisting will never be removed is likely to get the axe too. Mr. Toad probably isn't selling any more merch than Brer Rabbit is. Especially not when there are franchises like Frozen or Encanto that they can easily shove into that spot, limited space be darned.

You can't say "Everything at Disneyland is on the chopping block" and then say "Oh, but they'll never replace Mr. Toad". I'm getting a mixed message here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So basically, what you're saying is that we're not allowed to complain about attractions we like being closed because Disney's been closing down attractions for years?
Maybe we're saying you don't have to post your disappointment several times a day a hundred times over. Do you think you'll convince us? Do you think someone at Disney is reading this and will change direction?

You're just spamming us at this point. We know how you feel and what conspiracies you believe in. Posting it over and over and over and over again is pointless and irritating and rude.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Well, the most consistent reason I see on this site for why Splash Mountain should be rethemed is "Song of the South is racist, ergo Splash Mountain is racist too". According to the post I saw, the reason for the retheme is that Brer Rabbit merchandise doesn't sell.
I don’t think there’s a single “one reason” why Splash Mountain is being removed, and it’s all speculation anyway. So it’s not really inconsistent to site both the lack of merch sales and the problematic origins (as perceived by the company) in explaining the justification.

The thing is the property is not seen as contemporary just as the MGM films featured in Great Movie Ride, Twilight Zone, 2000 Leagues, or any of the arguably great IPs we’ve seen fall prey to the theme park graveyard over time. It’s not even unique to Disney. Heck even Universal Studios made the odd decision to remove Back to the Future, ET (Hollywood) and Jaws (Orlando).

Theme parks by their nature are never constant. SoTS is just not a universally recognizable IP to newer/broad audiences which combined with its origins making it impossible to distribute to streaming makes it even harder to justify than some of the other IPs I’ve mentioned.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Yea, it's the fact the ride is connected to Song of the South. We've been over this. Selling more Tiana merch is just a plus.
GiveMeTheMusic claimed that the retheme was greenlit by Disney in 2019 because they were afraid Splash Mountain and its having the Brers in it was making people uncomfortable. TP2000 claimed that the retheme was greenlit by Disney in 2019 NOT because they were afraid Splash Mountain was making anyone uncomfortable but because they wanted to sell Tiana merchandise and "Instagrammable" food. Disney claimed that the retheme was in development "for at least a year" before the announcement - which most pre-rethemers on here believed without a second thought. WDW Pro claimed that the retheme was greenlit because they were afraid the demand to get Splash Mountain rethemed online would lead to a Disney Plus boycott.
If I may add, it's fully possible they've been planning this since 2009 when the movie came out. Unless Disney comes out and admits how long its been in development we may never know.
This whole retheme has essentially been the biggest game of Telephone
Exactly. So your precious Mr. Toad that everyone is insisting will never be removed is likely to get the axe too. Mr. Toad probably isn't selling any more merch than Brer Rabbit is. Especially not when there are franchises like Frozen or Encanto that they can easily shove into that spot, limited space be darned.
Well now the wording is a bit rude, but the point is true.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, it does not.
It does actually.

And now here's another "insider" claiming that the retheme was in development since 2017 - NOT 2019 - and that it was greenlit because Disney's not being able to sell enough Brer Rabbit merchandise led them to believe that people didn't like Splash Mountain anymore.

You do realize that all of these can be true at the same time, right? Every real insider has a source, they are not all the same person. So from different perspectives and different sources within the company all can be true.

Basically there isn't one true reason why this retheme is happening, its many many reasons most of which have been discussed ad nauseam.

Also yes its possible that the initial plans for retheme started in 2017 or even earlier, but wasn't actually greenlit until 2019 and then Disney announced its in 2020. Basically again it can all be true at the same time.

In the 2000s, Splash Mountain was actually a well-liked ride. It's possible that pitches to retheme it were whipped up by Imagineers, but I sincerely doubt that there were any actual greenlit, well-developed plans to retheme Splash Mountain before 2020.

It used to be that an attraction's popularity regulated how long it stayed open.
You're only looking at it from an external view, not an internal business view based on numbers and metrics. Its been confirmed that Disney was working on this and greenlit it before 2020, I don't know how many times you need to hear it.

First its not my precious Toad.
Second yes it can be removed if Disney finds a suitable theme for the small space.

Everything that isn't making the company money is up for retheme or replacement.

You can't say "Everything at Disneyland is on the chopping block" and then say "Oh, but they'll never replace Mr. Toad". I'm getting a mixed message here.
I've never said Toad will never be replaced, not sure where you get that idea.

I'm of the opinion that nothing is permanent at any Disney Park. Again Disney owns it we don't.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
No need to be so rude.

So basically, what you're saying is that we're not allowed to complain about attractions we like being closed because Disney's been closing down attractions for years? I don't recall anybody ever telling somebody who complained about Florida's Mr. Toad being shut down to suck it up because, hey, If You Had Wings and Kitchen Kabaret were shut down before then.
You’re the rude one by constantly bringing up your conspiracies and whatever else is related to you not believing that Disney has had this planned since prior to 2020, despite folks, including the mods, having asked you to stop. Your fixation and obsession about this specific factor is, frankly, absurd.

Where did I say we can’t complain? I insinuated that Disney removing attractions is nothing shocking, nor new. So, yes, there’s a possibility that Indy will go bye-bye in the future. Same with Pirates, Mansion, Matterhorn, and any other Disneyland classic because that’s how it is and how it will always be, hence my “get used to it” response.

I’m not concerned about Toad in Florida, or anything at WDW, for that matter.

Brer Panther

You're just spamming us at this point. We know how you feel and what conspiracies you believe in. Posting it over and over and over and over again is pointless and irritating and rude.
I'm doing this because it's annoying that Disney is being praised for something that they're most likely doing out of cowardice.
Yea, it's the fact the ride is connected to Song of the South. We've been over this. Selling more Tiana merch is just a plus.
What about what @TP2000 claimed about how the connection to Song of the South wasn't the reason but rather a desire to sell Tiana merchandise and "Instagrammable" food?
If I may add, it's fully possible they've been planning this since 2009 when the movie came out. Unless Disney comes out and admits how long its been in development we may never know.
That's speculation. If there really were plans to retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog back in 2009, I imagine those plans went out the window once the movie "underperformed".
This whole retheme has essentially been the biggest game of Telephone
Indeed.
It does actually.
How so? I gave you reasons why it didn't.
Basically there isn't one true reason why this retheme is happening, its many many reasons most of which have been discussed ad nauseam.
So why is the reason I keep bringing up (that they are indeed doing this because people online demanded it) constantly being brushed off as false?
Also yes its possible that the initial plans for retheme started in 2017 or even earlier, but wasn't actually greenlit until 2019 and then Disney announced its in 2020. Basically again it can all be true at the same time.
We have no proof of that being true.
Its been confirmed that Disney was working on this and greenlit it before 2020, I don't know how many times you need to hear it.
Because Disney couldn't possibly have been lying when they said that, right?
I've never said Toad will never be replaced, not sure where you get that idea.
That was referring to another poster.
I'm of the opinion that nothing is permanent at any Disney Park. Again Disney owns it we don't.
Where did I say we can’t complain? I insinuated that Disney removing attractions is nothing shocking, nor new. So, yes, there’s a possibility that Indy will go bye-bye in the future. Same with Pirates, Mansion, Matterhorn, and any other Disneyland classic because that’s how it is and how it will always be, hence my “get used to it” response.
So you're basically saying that we should be okay with Disney getting rid of any attraction because they own it, not us, and other attractions have been closed in the past. Basically claiming we shouldn't care about attractions because they're just bound to close anyway.

By that logic, why should we care about Disney parks at all? Why should we go to the parks and ride these attractions when we know they'll eventually get shut down anyway? I could go to a state fair if I wanted to go on a ride. Are you implying that all of the hard work that went into attractions like Pirates, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, etc. was pointless and doesn't matter because eventually they'll just get shut down anyway?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom