Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Sailor310

• The Jungle Book is not based in Africa (oops!). It is based in India. Yet there were jazzy musical production numbers.
The Indian film industry "Bollywood" is FAMOUS for doing jazzy musical production numbers. That is using "jazzy" as meaning upbeat and flashy. Not literally based on jazz. ;)

TP2000

So looks like the video was made just to advertise a new site to show off how diverse and inclusive Disney is/promises they will be:
As @BuzzedPotatoHead89 mentioned earlier, I don't know why Disney decided to focus on their old racially insensitive material in the trailer when the focus seems to be entirely on future projects instead of anything about the old (I can't find a mention of any of the recent Disney parks changes).

This appears to be the 2021 version of flogging onself with a wet reed to excercise out the demons.

I'm not sure it's useful. Or sane.

TP2000

The Jungle Book is not based in Africa (oops!). It is based in India. Yet there were jazzy musical production numbers.
The Indian film industry "Bollywood" is FAMOUS for doing jazzy musical production numbers. That is using "jazzy" as meaning upbeat and flashy. Not literally based on jazz. ;)

Trust me, I've flown on Singapore Airlines enough times to have seen their Bollywood video channel for a minute or two somewhere 40,000 feet over the mid-Pacific. And then the stewardess brings me another cognac and I snap out of it. Singapore Airlines must have an onboard system that alerts the Purser... "Older white man in seat 4A is watching Bollywood! Deploy bar cart!"

Bollywood is not actually jazz.

It's "jazzy", to be sure, but so is this Christmas wreath made out of IBM punch cards by Mrs. Ida Pinkett...

N021_0795_002.jpg

"Jazzy" is not the same thing as actual Jazz. :cool:

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

So looks like the video was made just to advertise a new site to show off how diverse and inclusive Disney is/promises they will be:
As @BuzzedPotatoHead89 mentioned earlier, I don't know why Disney decided to focus on their old racially insensitive material in the trailer when the focus seems to be entirely on future projects instead of anything about the old (I can't find a mention of any of the recent Disney parks changes).

At first glance, I saw "Reimagine Tomorrowland - Disney launches Reimagine Tomorrowland..."

You can imagine my disappointment.

TP2000

The fact that there are actual people in the world making six figures with the job title of “Diversity and Inclusion Manager” should make people sick.

Meh, it's the giant racket of Human Resources.

American colleges pump out hundreds of thousands of kids who major in HR. They think it's useful. It's just a gig. They have to make it seem important. Their careers depend on it. Companies like it because it gives them cover... "We have a Director of Inclusion!"

Meanwhile, the customers of all colors couldn't care less what color the product designer was, they just want a product that works.

brb1006

Don't you just love this kind of crap?

Burbank is literally pandering and kissing up to an evil Communist regime and famously racist culture with people on their payroll right now. Not a movie from 1967 made by people who died 20 years ago. Not a cartoon from 1934 made by people who died 50 years ago. But right now. People on the payroll in Burbank today did this. The executives who approved that silly Instagram video also approved those movie posters for Communist China, who enslaves a million people for religious/racial reasons in concentration camps right now.

It's absolutely fascinating to see that play out. And to see almost no one in the media or politics call them out on it. Or Nike, or General Motors, or the NFL or NBA, or Apple or Google, or any number of giant American companies sucking up to the Communist Chinese so they can sell their sneakers and phones and movies in that marketplace.

But lets make a video for the 'Gram so the kids still think we're Official Good Persons! :rolleyes:
That reminds me, have you checked out the South Park episode where Randy Marsh tries to sell Tegridy Weed in China but gets arrested. There is a memorable scene where Mickey Mouse gets enraged at somebody making fun of China.

TP2000

I’m going to just ignore your university/faculty/bozo comments.

You probably should. I spent more time than I'd like to admit in the faculty lounge of the University of Washington in the 1980's. Back then they were all white, and all pompous. And mostly wrong about mostly everything.

I still remember the conventional wisdom among that crowd in the mid 1980's being that the Soviet Union would beat the Reagan Administration at its own game and by 1990 or so Communism would win throughout Europe. Yeah.... those experts were wrong.

Heck, they didn't even make it past 1989 without the Berlin Wall falling and the unwashed masses breaking free of the Communist yoke.

But they were "experts" in that faculty lounge. And very, very smart. They were happy to tell you how smart they were. ;)

TP2000

That reminds me, have you checked out the South Park episode where Randy Marsh tries to sell Tegridy Weed in China but gets arrested. There is a memorable scene where Mickey Mouse gets enraged at somebody making fun of China.

No, I'll have to look that one up!

It's fascinating how many formerly bold media companies have fallen into complete compliance with Communist China. Disney is just one.

brb1006

No, I'll have to look that one up!

It's fascinating how many formerly bold media companies have fallen into complete compliance with Communist China. Disney is just one.
Update: The episode is called "Band In China" from Season 23 which also references Winnie The Pooh being banned in China starting in the mid 2010s decade. If I remember correctly, Randy meets Pooh inside of a Chinese Prison Camp (a reference to China's current president hated getting compared to Winnie The Pooh causing Pooh to get banned in China) with Randy deciding to murder Pooh in order for his Tegridy Weed to get sold in China. Even his son Stan and Towelie disapprove of Randy's decisions which get touched in later episodes.

Since this is a family friendly board, I can't post the clips. But that episode went viral 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

All I can see when Disney does stuff like this is Iger and Chapek shouting "WE'RE WOKE! NO, REALLY! WE'RE WOKE!" without actually meaning it.
And if that really is the case, then nearly their entire catalog of films and shorts from 1928 to 2008 is off limits to them now.
Well, I suppose that doesn't really matter since Disney rarely gives any attention to their non-PIXAR pre-2008 films nowadays (with the possible exception of the ones with princesses in them). When's the last time they built an attraction based on a pre-1989 movie?
sing jazz music and even scat
So does Baloo, and I've never seen him labeled a black stereotype.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Any insider news lately that someone would like to share with all of us?

Last I heard, this re theme is still severely under budget.

TP2000

Louis Prima (king of swing) is King Louie (king of the swingers…) and he is Italian, for what it’s worth.

Thank you. I'm the one who got that all wrong and mixed up.

What I think my aging brain was doing was applying the national treasure named Louis Armstrong from the fabulous 1962 Disneyland After Dark episode of Wonderful World of Color to the man named Louis who did the soundtrack for 1967's The Jungle Book.

Walt had Louis Armstrong perform at Disneyland regularly in the 1960's. This TV episode below is just one gig he had at the Magic Kingdom.

And speaking of white folks embarassing themselves, when the white couples start trying to clap and dance along with Louis and the band of other legitimate jazz greats at the 34:20 mark in this video it always makes me say out loud "No, please don't. You're not helping!" 🤣

TP2000

That was a delightful slice of nostalgia on this fine evening.

:)

-

Wasn't it? It's one of those old Disneyland specials I watch every few years. I pop popcorn for it even. 😁

And talk about watching American culture change, with Disney along for the ride. This episode from 1962 is part of that journey.

By today's standards its not nearly forcibly diverse enough, not pandering enough, not curated and fussed over enough by people with Twitter feeds. But for 1962 it was sending loud and clear signals on what races were welcome at Disneyland, and that it was all of them. That was pretty heady stuff, dare I say even "progressive", for 1962.

Which gets back to my previous point about Disney shooting itself in the foot with that recent Instagram video. Disney's films and products have been changing along with America for decades, just as America has changed. Many good people of all races, quite a few religions, both genders, and at least a couple different sexualites, many decades ago did some really hard work to get that change going, and keep it going. The bright young things in Burbank this year seem to think they alone discovered how to be a good human being during their Junior year in college, when in reality their parents and grandparents were darn good humans themselves who fought some good fights and changed the world decades ago.

Jump to the 14:10 mark in this video, showcasing the Fantasy In The Sky fireworks, and notice that the camera pans in on two young Black ladies in the audience. They are likely paid actors, plants, put there on purpose for the TV camera to show. But that alone shows the work Walt's company was doing back then to make an unmistakable point on national TV; everyone was welcome at Disneyland!

Walt was making a point here. And in 1962, people noticed that. But the Instagram kids today in Burbank's communications and HR departments think they discovered racial equality and basic human rights? Please. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DavidDL

I'm honestly just appreciative of the fact that the Splash change is going to finally, fully commit "Critter Country" into a more whimsical setting. For me, Critter Country has had a bit of an identity crisis since Pooh moved in back in '03. Originally it was sort of this extension of New Orleans Square that led into a "deeper south" thematic (between Splash and Country Bears) but ever since Pooh, it hasn't fully made sense to me one way or the other.

With Princess and the Frog taking over for Song of the South on Splash, Critter Country finally has a more solid identity to me. It's no longer a "deep south" extension, it's a whimsical land of Critters and all things related. -and I think that Princess and the Frog, given it's connection to New Orleans, is the perfect point of transition between something like New Orleans Square and a land with this sort of mindset. It just works for me.

Side note: to those who would say, "but there are no 'mountains' in the Bayou so the landscape just feels wrong", I respond with two observations: 1) the newly created context of "Critter Country" and all things whimsical can allow for it and 2) even if I concede your point, you must remember that you are taking these adventures from the POV of a Critter. To them, what constitutes a "mountain" would be significantly different to us. Chickapin Hill was literally a hill in film, not a mountain by any means to humans. But to Critters, it is significantly larger and more imposing and thus the locale remaining named a "mountain" is perfectly acceptable (if they keep the name at all). I see no reason to not afford the Princess and the Frog overlay the same mindset.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom