Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Honestly, Disney shedding light on stuff like the Indians from Peter Pan and Mickey in blackface in today's cancel culture-driven society might not be a good idea. It might lead to petitions to get Peter Pan's Flight and Mickey removed from the parks.
I honestly don’t see the benefit in the company continuing to proactively draw negative attention to itself. I get that it’s trying to be nuanced, but it’s only going to divide the fan base and lead detractors to lump the entirety of the company with these “problematic” properties. Best to focus the messaging on the future and how the company intends to produce more diverse and engaging stories going forward that reflect the audience of the evolving future.

Additionally if this is how the company wishes to present itself publicly it really should run a more unified, tighter ship or risk being accused of hypocrisy. There are still many reputational challenges that TWDC has today (at home and abroad) that simply do not fit into this “inclusive” message.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
So Disney released a new "Inclusion" video on Instagram and part of it is several "Problematic" clips (Dumbo Crows, Peter Pan Indians, Mickey and Minnie in black face) but surprisingly no Song of the South. I was a little surprised since that's the one they keep trying to highlight as "Problematic"

What was the point of this? I don’t think this is helping. Not even sure of what exactly they were getting at here.

Disney, if you’re insinuating that you’re going to censor some of your films, THAT’S NOT ACTUALLY HELPING.

TP2000

What was the point of this? I don’t think this is helping. Not even sure of what exactly they were getting at here.

Disney, if you’re insinuating that you’re going to censor some of your films, THAT’S NOT ACTUALLY HELPING.

I agree. I watched that video twice because the first time was just sort of baffling and confusing.

The second viewing didn't help that, it's still confusing and rather pointless. It was word pablum.

But... it did make me realize the current executives in Burbank have no idea what they're doing with their company and its intellectual properties. Yikes! :oops:

TP2000

Oh lord. Somethings wrong with the Jungle Book now ?

Apparently. But if something is wrong with The Jungle Book, that means something is also wrong with The Lion King. I disagree on both of those movies, nothing is wrong with either.

Or... this is another clue that any animated movie that dares to acknowledge that for thousands of years humans have lived on the African continent and created thriving human cultures (instead of just lovable talking animals without any human presence) is now forbidden. Or, acknowledging that humans live on the African continent is now "problematic" as the kids say.

It's baffling. And confusing. And more than a little weird.

Last edited:

TP2000

I'm glad the junglebook is on there too for no reason.

Please give Disney money for "inclusion" so it can go to paying their lead white guy 130 million a year to use Chinese slave labor.

No kidding!

Not only that, their lead white guy literally provides legitimacy and profits to the Chinese Communist Party that right now has over a million Muslims in concentraction camps, or "re-education camps" as the Chinese Communists call them.

Not a peep from "Disney" about that inconvenient truth happening right now. :mad:

But The Jungle Book from 1967, we gotta disown that for the 'Gram!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I agree. I watched that video twice because the first time was just sort of baffling and confusing.

The second viewing didn't help that, it's still confusing and rather pointless. It was word pablum.

But... it did make me realize the current executives in Burbank have no idea what they're doing with their company and its intellectual properties. Yikes! :oops:
I re-watched it as well and I think I know what they’re getting at. I think Disney is saying from now on, they will create content with diversity in mind, as well as healthy representation in mind.

Sharon&Susan

Apparently. But if something is wrong with The Jungle Book, that means something is also wrong with The Lion King.

Or... this is another clue that any animated movie that dares to acknowledge that for thousands of years humans have lived on the African continent (instead of just lovable talking animals without any human presence) is now forbidden. Or, acknowledging that humans live on the African continent is now "problematic" as the kids say.

It's baffling. And confusing. And more than a little weird.
Just FYI, Jungle Book takes place in India which is in Asia not Africa.

TP2000

I re-watched it as well and I think I know what they’re getting at. I think Disney is saying from now on, they will create content with diversity in mind, as well as healthy representation in mind.

Yeah, I imagine that was what they were trying to get at. But they did it poorly and confusingly.

But they act as if they just now realized that. Disney movies have been changing for decades, as a mirror on how American culture itself has changed since the end of World War II about 75 years ago. Racial equality, womens equality, gay rights, etc., etc. It took decades of hard work, but it happened. There's still work to do, but the change has been sweeping and monumental in scope.

I was watching old episodes of Password last night. Sammy Davis Jr. in 1964 was cracking "seperate but equal" jokes and referencing Reverend King, and the audience roared in approval. Those were jokes he could not have made on TV in 1954, but by '64 the times were changing fast. The last half of the 20th century was a tidal wave of cultural change, and Disney's products changed with it.

Burbank insults us and they muddy the message by pretending they are just now deciding to "change". It's not new. Many people were fighting for this change many decades ago, and succeeding at it! Disney changed with them.

Jump to the 4:50 mark at this Password episode from July 2nd, 1964 when Sammy Davis makes his "separate but equal" joke. The audience starts to nervously laugh, the lovely Edyie Gorme realizes what he just said and starts cracking up, the audience then realizes it and laughs louder and applauds its approval. The times are literally changing right before the TV audience here, and it's hysterical!

But "Disney" thinks they've cornered the market on social change, and they just started doing that now? Nope. Not even close.

If anything, this silly Instagram video makes Disney seem like they are behind the times and struggling to catch up. Idiots.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

If anything, this silly Instagram video makes Disney seem like they are behind the times and struggling to catch up. Idiots.
The fact is they are behind the times not because of films that debuted 50+ years ago, but because of proactive pricing strategies that actively creates a de facto caste system that by its nature is “non-inclusive”.

And because of an international marketing (and selective editing) strategy in the present (21st) century that frankly is far worse than some of the examples shown in their video. But because it’s considered the “cost of doing business” in these markets it’s not part of the present conversation.

TP2000

Just FYI, Jungle Book takes place in India which is in Asia not Africa.

Oh, you're right. So apparently the Indian sub-continent also has to pretend there aren't humans living there. Or something.

They now think The Jungle Book is "problematic". The mind boggles at that.

And if that really is the case, then nearly their entire catalog of films and shorts from 1928 to 2008 is off limits to them now.

What the heck are they doing up there in Burbank?!?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I haven't seen the live action Jungle Book movie, what did they change about King Louie to make him (apparently?) less problematic?
He definitely doesn’t come off as black in the live-action, unlike in the animated version. He’s also also not an orangutan, but something else. Not that that matters.

It wasn’t a good movie lol.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
What the heck are they doing up there in Burbank?!?

Funny Meme.jpg

TP2000

He definitely doesn’t come off as black in the live-action, unlike in the animated version. He’s also also not an orangutan, but something else. Not that that matters.

It wasn’t a good movie lol.

To be honest, I didn't really like that movie either. It's only memorable for me for its rather catchy Louis Armstrong soundtrack.

But the orangutang was supposed to be Black instead of just a funny cartoon orangutang? As a fairly average member of 20th Century White America, I honestly never picked up on that. It could be I was too white, or just too polite, to get the joke there.

So is that what that Jungle Book reference is in their pandering Instagram propaganda video? That the orangutang was drawn in 1966 to be a Black caricature instead of an orangutang caricature?

Last edited:

TP2000

"At Disney, we know that our stories affect how people see themselves and each other... We commit to showing the magic in every life."

View attachment 583968

View attachment 583971

Don't you just love this kind of crap?

Burbank is literally pandering and kissing up to an evil Communist regime and famously racist culture with people on their payroll right now. Not a movie from 1967 made by people who died 20 years ago. Not a cartoon from 1934 made by people who died 50 years ago. But right now. People on the payroll in Burbank today did this. The executives who approved that silly Instagram video also approved those movie posters for Communist China, who enslaves a million people for religious/racial reasons in concentration camps right now.

It's absolutely fascinating to see that play out. And to see almost no one in the media or politics call them out on it. Or Nike, or General Motors, or the NFL or NBA, or Apple or Google, or any number of giant American companies sucking up to the Communist Chinese so they can sell their sneakers and phones and movies in that marketplace.

But lets make a video for the 'Gram so the kids still think we're Official Good Persons! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom