EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Well the new art's here.

Splash 1.jpeg

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
It's early concept art and so of course not a guarantee of anything, but if that is representative of the art style they're going for then I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Splash Mountain scenery and figures get re-used.
I kinda like it I have to admit. I feel this could be the current How Do You Do scene

Tamandua

Didn't Mission: Breakout go from idea to reopening in about 10 months? It's sort of surprising that it's been over a year and they're still in the "early concept art" phase.

el_super

This was posted in the WDW Thread, but there was an interesting tidbit about other changes coming to New Orleans Square:

Here's hoping they can "fix" French Market. I'm not a fan of that place.

There's a story in today's New Orleans newspaper that winks, nods, and all but confirms intentions for food changes specifically for DL where it makes sense.

“I’ll also say this, especially at our Disneyland location, and especially in New Orleans Square, we have an opportunity to tell an extended story beyond the attraction, and I have a feeling Leah Chase’s family, and Stella and Dooky Chase’s — they might have a little role in that, but that’s all I can say now.” (Charita Carter quote)

Gumbo z'herbes for everyone! (not really for Disney, but try it Easter weekend if in New Orleans)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
What a circle jerk that was. Talking about how important this is and then the "Imagineering Executive" gushing over merchandise sales and Disney Plus.

I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but TWDC does such a poor job of this that they literally only had only one choice for an African American starring animated film, and one that was a financial failure at that.

The film's only talking point is its diversity. The film was the definition of generic and "going through the motions", which is a shame since I love 2D Disney Animation (the entirety of the 2000s was bad though, not just Princess and the Frog).

I am happy everyone wants to make a positive change and impact. Regardless of my love of the Splash Mountain ride, I just hope this turns out great. I don't trust TWDC at all, I don't trust Imagineering at all. Chapek and D'Amararo are toxic.

If Spiderman who has billions of dollars of income got a horrible ride, how am I supposed to be hopeful that the box office bomb "Princess and the Frog" will get a ride on par with Splash Mountain?
PatF is popular. It may not have done well at the box office coming up on 12 years ago, but it is well-loved, despite that.

Tamandua

PatF is popular. It may not have done well at the box office coming up on 12 years ago, but it is well-loved, despite that.
It's a better movie than some of Disney's animated disasters from the era like Mars Needs Moms, but is it really well-regarded enough to warrant replacing a still popular ride?

Sofia the first gets a lot more play by my kids on Disney+ than Princess and the Frog, but I don't see them making Sofia Mountain.

There's so much room at WDW. I'm all for making a new stand alone Princess and the Frog ride if that's what people want. Shoehorning it into splash mountain is a bad idea in my opinion.

I am reminded of an essay I read in college about viewing history as a palimpsest, where you see the constant revisions bleeding through. Splash Mountain very much feels like that. It was originally designed to recycle America Sings animatronics, and it became splash mountain, but as Disney endeavors to cover over the ride's history and effectively rewrite the story on the same canvas, you can't avoid seeing the history of the ride break through. If Disney is trying to whitewash Song of the South from its history, putting a coat of paint over it isn't going to work. You will still see the history of the ride cracking through the venir. People aren't going to just forget what the ride used to be.

For people who love PatF, wouldn't you rather have a new attraction designed for the theme from the ground up instead of using the theme as a coverup for a ride that Disney has seen as problematic for a while? I don't think the ride is problematic, but it's obvious that this retheme is intended as a band aid fix for idle complaints about the ride's source material.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It's a better movie than some of Disney's animated disasters from the era like Mars Needs Moms, but is it really well-regarded enough to warrant replacing a still popular ride?

Sofia the first gets a lot more play by my kids on Disney+ than Princess and the Frog, but I don't see them making Sofia Mountain.

There's so much room at WDW. I'm all for making a new stand alone Princess and the Frog ride if that's what people want. Shoehorning it into splash mountain is a bad idea in my opinion.

I am reminded of an essay I read in college about viewing history as a palimpsest, where you see the constant revisions bleeding through. Splash Mountain very much feels like that. It was originally designed to recycle America Sings animatronics, and it became splash mountain, but as Disney endeavors to cover over the ride's history and effectively rewrite the story on the same canvas, you can't avoid seeing the history of the ride break through. If Disney is trying to whitewash Song of the South from its history, putting a coat of paint over it isn't going to work. You will still see the history of the ride cracking through the venir. People aren't going to just forget what the ride used to be.

For people who love PatF, wouldn't you rather have a new attraction designed for the theme from the ground up instead of using the theme as a coverup for a ride that Disney has seen as problematic for a while? I don't think the ride is problematic, but it's obvious that this retheme is intended as a band aid fix for idle complaints about the ride's source material.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter what we think. Replacing Splash with PatF makes a lot of sense to Disney for multiple reasons. I would imagine many would prefer PatF to be represented with its own ride, but Disney couldn’t give a crap.

josh2000

It's early concept art and so of course not a guarantee of anything, but if that is representative of the art style they're going for then I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Splash Mountain scenery and figures get re-used.
They're definitely going to re-use as much as possible. This is modern Disney that we're talking about. In this case though, re-using what's already there is not a bad thing.

Brer Panther

Well the new art's here.

View attachment 581815
I thought the new painting we were supposed to get today was just supposed to be inspiration for the imagineers, not concept art for the ride itself.

As for the concept art itself, it's not bad (certainly much better than that awful concept art that came with the retheme's announcement), but I still don't want Splash Mountain to go, especially not for the reason they're doing it. Just build a Princess and the Frog ride elsewhere in the park. And I'm still skeptical that they can pull this off.

Side note, what's that mustached animal peeking out from behind the tree? An otter?
Didn't Mission: Breakout go from idea to reopening in about 10 months? It's sort of surprising that it's been over a year and they're still in the "early concept art" phase.
It might stem from the fact that this retheme was only greenlit as a result of people demanding that they retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog online.
It's well-loved, but it didn't really become popular until 2020. I recall seeing it being labeled "underrated" for years before that. Disney basically ignored it people started clamoring for the retheme.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I mean it's more liked than Atlantis, Emperor's Groove, and Treasure Planet, but I still haven't been able to finish the film myself. Once they turn into frogs I lose interest each time.

The 2000s was a really bad decade for Disney all around. I'm glad black girls have a princess that looks like them, it's regretful that she has to be a frog for most of the movie, and it's also regretful that she is the one and only black lead in a Disney animated film.

Truly the movie's biggest strength is its appeal by diversity.

My wife's culture has yet to be represented in anything Disney, but then again she doesn't care and doesn't seek validation in being represented in pieces of entertainment.

Leave it to Disney as well as every entertainment company these days to capitalize off of civil rights movements and pretend they care about social issues.
You don’t like it and therefore it’s not popular?

I don’t know your wife’s background, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong or shameful with black people wanting representation in entertainment. We are absolutely the loudest group in championing that for ourselves.

Brer Panther

Yeah, this is wrong.
Oh, really? Notice how it took A DECADE for them to announce a ride based on the film? Notice how they gave up on hand-drawn animation again after the film because of its supposed "flopping"?

And you can't convince me that this wasn't announced because people were demanding that they retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog. It's waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a coincidence that Disney just so happened to have the very same idea that these people were demanding. Unless the demands to get Splash Mountain rethemed were orchestrated by Disney to prevent backlash from their retheming a ride that, until 2020, the majority of people actually LIKED, I'm calling shenanigans.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Oh, really? Notice how it took A DECADE for them to announce a ride based on the film? Notice how they gave up on hand-drawn animation again after the film because of its supposed "flopping"?

And you can't convince me that this wasn't announced because people were demanding that they retheme Splash Mountain to The Princess and the Frog. It's waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a coincidence that Disney just so happened to have the very same idea that these people were demanding. Unless the demands to get Splash Mountain rethemed were orchestrated by Disney to prevent backlash from their retheming a ride that, until 2020, the majority of people actually LIKED, I'm calling shenanigans.
Yes, really. I don’t have to convince you of anything.

Splash is going. PatF is undoubtedly way more popular than SotS. That’s one of the main things Disney cares about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom