News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

Rich T

This sounds ridiculous, but—even after decades of watching many favorite rides go extinct, the one thing that got me upset enough to finally post on this forum years ago was when Disney announced they were eliminating the pancake cafeteria-style breakfast at River Belle Terrace and switching the venue to table service. Y’know… so they could charge more.

See, those pancake breakfasts at the River Belle had become an annual tradition for my family, and over the years we had formed many fond memories around our gatherings there. Our routine: Rope drop, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Mr. Toad, Splash, HM, Pirates…. Pancakes. We’d eat by the river, chat, catch up on things, watch the Mark Twain, rough out our plans for the rest of the day, laugh at the thieving birds, and head out.

Pancakes had become the central touchstone of our visits. The one meal we ALL gathered at.

But it wasn’t profitable enough for someone at Disney, apparently, and… it STILL ticks me off! 😄

So I ranted here. And got razzed. And I tried to explain why the pancakes were so important to me—and no, it didn’t help that pancakes would be available at Rancho Del Yougottabekiddingme because it’s just not the same— and I said to the scoffers, “Y’know, sooooomeday, Disney’s gonna take away something that YOU hold dear, and then you’re gonna be just like me and rant about something that other people might think sounds silly and then you might know how I feel…”

So now, I just sit here at home reading people’s upset reactions to the Splash retheme… while eating my microwave Eggo pancakes…

Californian Elitist

We used to get the Mickey pancakes at River Belle every single visit, too. That was the very first thing we did, then we’d head off to our first attraction for the day. It was absolutely a family tradition that Disney cancelled for us. I told my mom and she was not happy, and she’s not even that big of a Disneyland fan (she’s a fan, but not like I am). “But what about the pancakes,” she asked. Neither she, nor I, had any interest in going to Rancho for the pancakes. To this day, I still haven’t had them there (do they even still offer them there?). I understand your disappointment fully, @Rich T.

The Eggo buttermilk pancakes are 🔥🔥🔥, especially with enough salted butter. I gobble those up in minutes.

Practical Pig

I think someone else posted this opinion recently in one of the threads (but I can't seem to find it quickly to credit them), but I agree that Tiana's Palace, an opulent full-service restaurant in the film, should have been changed in the park to a new restaurant expansion of Tiana's restaurant business.

It would have avoided discrepancies between the film and park universes as well as the controversial smokestacks that were drawn from the Tiana's Palace design in the film.

Perhaps it could have been named Tiana's Place. That's just one letter removed.

Rich T

We used to get the Mickey pancakes at River Belle every single visit, too. That was the very first thing we did, then we’d head off to our first attraction for the day. It was absolutely a family tradition that Disney cancelled for us. I told my mom and she was not happy, and she’s not even that big of a Disneyland fan (she’s a fan, but not like I am). “But what about the pancakes,” she asked. Neither she, nor I, had any interest in going to Rancho for the pancakes. To this day, I still haven’t had them there (do they even still offer them there?). I understand your disappointment fully, @Rich T.

The Eggo buttermilk pancakes are 🔥🔥🔥, especially with enough salted butter. I gobble those up in minutes.
Thank you!!!! It’s so nice to hear that I’m not the only one who cared about that very wonderful breakfast tradition at DL! I never tried the breakfast at Rancho, either; ya can’t watch the Mark Twain from Rancho, Disney! Rancho is just not a breakfasty-looking venue.

And, yes, absolutely, the Eggo Buttermilk Pancakes are the BEST!!! I don’t make my own pancakes anymore because I can’t make them as good as the Eggos! I occasionally buy the Kodiak pancakes just because their ads are hilarious, but those are kinda overpriced and have that “healthy” texture … 😄

mickEblu

Thank you!!!! It’s so nice to hear that I’m not the only one who cared about that very wonderful breakfast tradition at DL! I never tried the breakfast at Rancho, either; ya can’t watch the Mark Twain from Rancho, Disney! Rancho is just not a breakfasty-looking venue.

And, yes, absolutely, the Eggo Buttermilk Pancakes are the BEST!!! I don’t make my own pancakes anymore because I can’t make them as good as the Eggos! I occasionally buy the Kodiak pancakes just because their ads are hilarious, but those are kinda overpriced and have that grainy “healthy” texture … 😄

Are these frozen? I’ll have to try ‘em. Nice quick option for my son who loves pancakes. Those damn things are time consuming and make a mess for very little payoff. At least when my wife or I make them. Even when we add milk to the batter instead of water. Frozen pancakes I’ve tried in the past weren’t great. These days, I usually end up picking up the $17 short stack from the healthy-ish breakfast spot down the street.

Californian Elitist

And, yes, absolutely, the Eggo Buttermilk Pancakes are the BEST!!! I don’t make my own pancakes anymore because I can’t make them as good as the Eggos! I occasionally buy the Kodiak pancakes just because their ads are hilarious, but those are kinda overpriced and have that “healthy” texture … 😄
It’s something I hope to never forget. It was very special for many years for us. Agreed, I had no intentions whatsoever of ever eating them at Rancho because, yeah, the vibe just doesn’t fit. I checked and now the pancakes are served on plastic black plates at Rose Tavern. No, thank you lol. Thank for ruining that, Disney! I haven’t had a Mickey pancake in years. I’d rather save some money and head to the McDonald’s across the street and get their pancakes.

I could eat an entire box of Eggo pancakes in two days. I’m not ashamed or embarrassed to admit that because the pancakes are small. Way better than Eggo waffles, and I love those, too. The only problem is they’re kinda expensive. We tried the Krusteaz brand last year and they were absolute garbage. Eggo all the way haha. When I’m really feeling productive, I’ll fry up some bacon or sausage to go with them. I’m currently on a dairy and meat free diet, so I won’t be having any of those things any time soon, but now I want some.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Look it up. Disney lost money on it.
At the end of its theatrical run, PatF did indeed have a loss of $23 million.

It then went on to have $188 million in DVD and BluRay sales.

And it sold a lot of merch, especially as part of the Disney Princess Brand.

PatF has been profitable for Disney. That's not what bombs do.

Disney Analyst

Disney movies do have a life outside of their initial box office, we all know this… right? It’s not a hard concept.

Just because something has a loss at the box office in its initial run, does not indicate failure across the board.

PatF has made back its investment, and is a loved IP.

Move on.

Rich T

Are these frozen? I’ll have to try ‘em. Nice quick option for my son who loves pancakes. Those damn things are time consuming and make a mess for very little payoff. At least when my wife or I make them. Even when we add milk to the batter instead of water. Frozen pancakes I’ve tried in the past weren’t great. These days, I usually end up picking up the $17 short stack from the healthy-ish breakfast spot down the street.
Yes, and they actually taste like pancakes should taste. I have no clue about their nutritional value, but man, do I love these things! And buttermilk is by far better than homestyle or any of the other available flavors.

PiratesMansion

@Mickey's Pal Since we're doing this again apparently, even though we've already been doing this for over two years and in multiple threads:

Films that were flops or otherwise disappointments that made their way into the parks anyway:
-Pinocchio
-Ichabod & Mr. Toad
-Alice in Wonderland
-Sleeping Beauty
-Nightmare Before Christmas
-Both Tron movies

It's not like this is the first time this has happened or will ever happen. This argument has never and will never hold up to scrutiny.

So far all of your arguments have been clearly factually incorrect, clearly subjective, or have already been regurgitated ad nauseum by other people over the past 2+ years.

Even your retorts are past their expiration dates. Facts don't care about your feelings? C'mon...

Last edited:

Ghost93

I can only leave it up to your speculation why 14 years later this particular IP deserves a major E ticket attraction, restaurant, and a retail store in two different lands.
While The Princess and the Frog underperformed on its initial release, it has grown a more passionate following over the 13 years since 2009. I've noticed more and more people rediscovering and reevaluating the movie as a hidden gem. Also, I've noticed girls walking around in stores with Tiana dolls — proving that the character is still popular. I don't see ANYONE playing with Chicken Little, Bolt or WALLE toys, even though those movies were more financially successful.

So while The Princess and the Frog was an initial disappointment, it has stood the test of time. I know my feelings toward the movie are much more positive today than they were in 2009.

This isn't a new phenomenon for Disney. Movies like Fantasia, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty were all financial disappointments upon their first theatrical release that are now regarded as classics today.

Mickey's Pal

Boy a guy really can't have a differece of opinion here can he? I post my thoughts of not liking the idea of changing the restaurant and give MY reasons why and it didn't tske long for all the typical Disneyland gate keepers here to come out of the wood works and berate me for not instantly loving everything Disney does. 'How dare you not think like us!'

tcool123

Boy a guy really can't have a differece of opinion here can he?
Opinion:
- you can say you don’t like the IP that’s fine
- you can miss Splash Mountain
- you can be annoyed about the cartoonish smokestacks coming to the current quick service in NOS
- you can be annoyed about the attraction not fitting the theme at Magic Kingdom

However when you claim something was a bomb that’s actually something that can be proved by actual facts that we have. As @MisterPenguin has pointed out PATF did not bomb thanks to:
- its lower budget than other modern animated films
- decent box office turnout
- great run on the home media market
- utilization in merchandise helped bring in more money for the film

My opinion is that PATF is a great fit for a Splash Mountain replacement on both coasts, and at the end of the day its a ride. There’s truly no need to get this worked up.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Boy a guy really can't have a differece of opinion here can he? I post my thoughts of not liking the idea of changing the restaurant and give MY reasons why and it didn't tske long for all the typical Disneyland gate keepers here to come out of the wood works and berate me for not instantly loving everything Disney does. 'How dare you not think like us!'
Plays the persecution card. ✔

mickEblu

Yes, and they actually taste like pancakes should taste. I have no clue about their nutritional value, but man, do I love these things! And buttermilk is by far better than homestyle or any of the other available flavors.

Oh I just care about what they taste like. I only go to that place because it’s convenient. How healthy can pancakes be anyway?

mickEblu

This sounds ridiculous, but—even after decades of watching many favorite rides go extinct, the one thing that got me upset enough to finally post on this forum years ago was when Disney announced they were eliminating the pancake cafeteria-style breakfast at River Belle Terrace and switching the venue to table service. Y’know… so they could charge more.

See, those pancake breakfasts at the River Belle had become an annual tradition for my family, and over the years we had formed many fond memories around our gatherings there. Our routine: Rope drop, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Mr. Toad, Splash, HM, Pirates…. Pancakes. We’d eat by the river, chat, catch up on things, watch the Mark Twain, rough out our plans for the rest of the day, laugh at the thieving birds, and head out.

Pancakes had become the central touchstone of our visits. The one meal we ALL gathered at.

But it wasn’t profitable enough for someone at Disney, apparently, and… it STILL ticks me off! 😄

So I ranted here. And got razzed. And I tried to explain why the pancakes were so important to me—and no, it didn’t help that pancakes would be available at Rancho Del Yougottabekiddingme because it’s just not the same— and I said to the scoffers, “Y’know, sooooomeday, Disney’s gonna take away something that YOU hold dear, and then you’re gonna be just like me and rant about something that other people might think sounds silly and then you might know how I feel…”

So now, I just sit here at home reading people’s upset reactions to the Splash retheme… while eating my microwave Eggo pancakes…

Sounds like a nice tradition. I’ve realized that the moments at the park that tend to stick out for me are the moments where you are hanging out with your family/ friends just enjoying a meal or a snack. You can’t help but be in the present moment. As opposed to when you are walking around with your face buried in your phone plotting your next move/ snack/ ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom