News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

Disney Analyst

Tom Bricker from Disney Tourist Blog posted some early food reviews, if anyone’s interested:

Sounds really good and like a strong improvement!! Loved this note:

"There’s also a self-service hot sauce station at Tiana’s Palace, allowing for those who desire more intensity to add it themselves. Best of both worlds."
Thinking about all the people who carry their own packets of hot sauce on them, justice for us spice lovers at last!

Also re the Beef Po'Boy: sounds delicious! Love that they are using bread direct from New Orleans.

"The final and first-place entree is the Beef Po’Boy Sandwich: Slow-cooked Beef in Gravy dressed with Shredded Lettuce, Tomato, Pickle and Duke’s Mayonnaise on a Toasted New Orleans French Bread, served with Red Beans & Rice and House-made Pickles.

Look, I’m always a sucker for sandwiches, so it should be of little surprise that one rated so highly for me. But I was also really impressed by the complexity and ambition of the gumbo and grits, which are truly table service caliber. Even so, this is the best dish at Tiana’s Palace Restaurant.

The highlight here is the bread, which is sourced from New Orleans. No, not “inspired by” or “using the same recipe as” breads in NOLA, but literally shipped in from New Orleans. And the extra effort absolutely shows. Before you even get your first taste of that dressed slow-cooked beef, you are treated to some of the best sandwich bread you’ll ever taste. A slight crispness on the outside giving way to softness inside, with great flavor from start to finish. Duke’s mayo gives the juicy beef just the right creaminess and tang, and the whole sandwich is way better than it has any right to be. Highly, highly recommended–to the point that it’s a top 5 dish in Disneyland."

And if this person is to be trusted, then their last anecdote sounds like this is a win:
"Ultimately, my first impression of the food at Tiana’s Palace Restaurant is highly favorable. Without question, this is a better menu than what was available at French Market when it closed. To the best of my recollection, it’s also better than the food at French Market several years ago, when it was actually good."

TrainsOfDisney

If they cut down those trees.... well, even today's TDA and WDI executives aren't that clueless about park operations.
TDA: “hold my beer… now available at Disneyland!”
And if this person is to be trusted, then their last anecdote sounds like this is a win:
Tom Bricker is the best! They don’t sugar coat things at all.

TP2000

You didn’t exactly leave it at sharing your personal experience, no matter how guileless you pretend to be.

Looking back, even though a few posters had their comments deleted by site management last night for being impolite to others, all of my posts on the topic remain here. I'll let my posts speak for... well, for me. ;)

TP2000

"Ultimately, my first impression of the food at Tiana’s Palace Restaurant is highly favorable. Without question, this is a better menu than what was available at French Market when it closed. To the best of my recollection, it’s also better than the food at French Market several years ago, when it was actually good."

That's the rub. These menus usually start out well, but then degrade after a fiscal year or two. You can often taste the cheaper ingredients showing up as some TDA cubicle chief dictates budget cuts on ingredient sourcing.

Pizza Port started out great in 1998, but by the early 2000's you could tell it was all cheap canned ingredients just by looking at it. Then you tasted it, and the tin taste came through loud and clear.

There's such an odd trajectory for many Disneyland Resort restaurants. A few can escape the curse, (the cocktails and most of the menu at Carthay Circle come to mind), but too often they degrade within a year or two.

Let's hope Tiana's Palace can escape that path of TDA mediocrity and lowering standards.

LittleBuford

Looking back, even though a few posters had their comments deleted by site management last night for being impolite to others, all of my posts on the topic remain here. I'll let my posts speak for... well, for me. ;)
Not all of them remain—the one mentioning Scandinavia during the pandemic is gone—and no-one is accusing you of being impolite anyway. You’re far too intelligent to take that approach.

But as I said, I’m moving on.

PiratesMansion

And as food allergies are a medical concern that seems to impact today's young adults who were raised in overly hygienic and fearful homes and environments, it's probably less than 4% when you think of Americans over age 60 or so. (AKA The AARP Dinner Party Circuit)
Yep, you're right, we developed allergies because we grew up in fearful homes and scared ourselves into food allergies, totally logical argument there :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Californian Elitist

I theorize that these allergies and intolerances stem from the way our food is processed in the States and its evolution. Food was a lot fresher and healthier decades ago. No hormones, no artificial flavoring, no harmful and unhealthy treatments of animals, fruits and vegetables were only available when in season, no weird, unhealthy ingredients, both that I can pronounce and those that I can’t pronounce, etc. Mass production of food, coupled with the addition of preservatives and other unhealthy ingredients, have contributed to the declining quality.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is at least partially the reason why food allergies and intolerances cases have climbed.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I would even go on record as saying that no Disneyland CM of any kind circa 1966 was actively trying to kill park guests. ;)
Yeah, but a year later there were some really questionable types allowed in New Orleans Square...

1692928595274.png

TP2000

Yep, you're right, we developed allergies because we grew up in fearful homes and scared ourselves into food allergies, totally logical argument there :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I meant medically and hygienically fearful, as that NPR article mentioned. Where moms coat household surfaces with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal sprays, children and hands are scrubbed down in antiseptic lotions continually, and even unsterilized grocery cart handles are seen as the enemy to be swabbed with antiseptic wipes before a shopper will touch it.

And that level of fear and unscientific thinking has apparently led to a younger generation burdened with new allergies and weaker immune systems.

That info came from the links some other folks provided here to that NPR article, or mentioned in conversation, that led me to an evening of reading. It’s fascinating.

I’ve never wiped down a grocery cart handle in my life, and somehow I’m still here. And now I’m certainly NOT going to start. :oops:

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Except the Carthay Circle, their menu revamp after the pandemic is absolutely terrible. They took out practically everything people liked about it.
Honestly? I wasn't impressed with the food pre-pandemic either. That might have just been a me issue, but as much as the environment was cool, the food at Carthay, more often than not, has been a miss for me.

PiratesMansion

I meant medically and hygienically fearful, as that NPR article mentioned. Where moms coat household surfaces with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal sprays, children and hands are scrubbed down in antiseptic lotions continually, and even unsterilized grocery cart handles are seen as the enemy to be swabbed with antiseptic wipes before a shopper will touch it.

And that level of fear and unscientific thinking has apparently led to a younger generation burdened with new allergies and weaker immune systems.

That info came from the links some other folks provided here to that NPR article, or mentioned in conversation, that led me to an evening of reading. It’s fascinating.

I’ve never wiped down a grocery cart handle in my life, and somehow I’m still here. And now I’m certainly NOT going to start. :oops:
Ah yes, you've always been quite the champion of science.

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Oh, crap. And here I just used them as an example of stable high standards. :rolleyes:
Honestly? I wasn't impressed with the food pre-pandemic either. That might have just been a me issue, but as much as the environment was cool, the food at Carthay, more often than not, has been a miss for me.
Sorry to hear that. Is the new menu an improvement for you at least?

We loved the Fried Biscuits (filled with cheese and served with an orange jam), Firecracker Duck Wings, Burger (I know it sounds like a basic choice but their burger was amazing), Salmon, and Filet Mignon.

When the park reopened post pandemic, both the appetizers were gone as well as those entrees. They changed it into moatly mediterranean fare. I also see just now that they did add back the Filet Mignon but it is 70 dollars! The mashed potatoes that used to come with that dish are an additional 14 dollars.

They had an amazing Korean head chef who was in charge of the restaurant, the duck wings and biscuit were her own recipes.

The reason for the changes is that she went back to Napa Rose and then was in charge of Club 33. Good for her. I just found it odd how the new head chef for Carthay got rid of so much of what was there before.

PiratesMansion

Sorry to hear that. Is the new menu an improvement for you at least?
Last year it was, this year it wasn't. Perhaps I just ordered badly. But I did have the burger and the biscuits that everyone misses pre-covid, and thought both were just ok. The duck wings actually sound great and I'm bummed I missed them. Didn't they reappear at another restaurant? I thought I remembered reading something to that effect, that she had perhaps left DLR entirely and opened her own establishment.

I feel like most people have enjoyed Carthay more than I have, so it's probaby just a me thing. Still, if I'm going to have a fancy, leisurely, expensive sitdown dinner at DLR, I've always found Napa Rose to be much more worthy of the price.

waltography

Pizza Port started out great in 1998, but by the early 2000's you could tell it was all cheap canned ingredients just by looking at it. Then you tasted it, and the tin taste came through loud and clear.
I forgot theme park pizza can actually be pretty decent until I went to Epcot a week or two ago and ate at Connections. The pizza was actually genuinely good and worth the price, which has never been the case at Pizza Planet in my recent memory.

PiratesMansion

I forgot theme park pizza can actually be pretty decent until I went to Epcot a week or two ago and ate at Connections. The pizza was actually genuinely good and worth the price, which has never been the case at Pizza Planet in my recent memory.
Glad to hear there's still decent theme park slices out there! I've gotten to the point where I just don't bother with theme park pizza unless I actually hear good things about it beforehand. Even local chains can't seem to avoid being shaped into definitive mediocrity (looking at you, "Cincinnati Pizza Joint" LaRosa's!) when pizza's involved. Even Knoebels, a park that had a reputation for good pizza, shifted to a different vendor and theirs is bad now too.

I'm at the point where I'll occasionally get it from Silver Dollar City, which has decent pizza by theme park standards, but even there it's not great and I usually wish I had ordered something else instead. That's it. But maybe I'm just a pizza snob because I didn't even like Via Napoli, a place that seemingly everyone but me raved about to the moon and back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom