News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

TP2000

I think that certain allergies (like gluten, peanuts or shellfish) have been around for quite a while, but they weren't discussed openly back then.

I agree to an extent, at least when it comes to celiac disease or rare food allergies.

Back then people ate, got sick and didn't know exactly what it was that made them ill. Medicine has advanced a lot since then. It's a good thing that there's more research and knowledge about allergies these days. That there's an effort from Disney to be aware of this, and that they offer diet-specific menus to guests who need it, is a good thing, imo.

Trust me, I know. But Disneyland operated for decades serving millions of people per year, and somehow the First Aid station behind the Kodak store wasn't swamped every weekend with people going into anaphylactic shock after coming in contact with a sesame seed on a hamburger bun at Tomorrowland Terrace.

Something has changed since the 20th century regarding allergies and susceptibility to them. There's been a few good points here made about our overuse of sanitary practices and an unnatural fear of Mother Nature and the planet's natural bacteria and viruses that swarm around us.

I'm glad Disneyland has Food Allergy menu options for folks. If you need it, use it.

But let's also not pretend that we all knew all about this in 1966 when the French Market first opened. Or even 1986. The average CM and the average American did not know about all this back then. It just wasn't a thing we had knowledge of.

TP2000

That's not really an accurate restatement of your point as you've been addressing it over the last few pages, so, I'm not gonna be playing this game. Nice try, though.

As I'm pretty darn sure I'm the same person this evening as I was earlier this afternoon, I would disagree with you.

The average American, and thus the average 20 year old Disneyland CM, didn't know about food allergies in the 1960's. Or 1970's. Or even 1980's. It wasn't discussed in conversation back then, and it wasn't part of Disneyland University training materials.

Disneyland didn't offer its first official Food Allergy menu until 2015.

So this is a new thing. Relatively speaking, unless you are merely a teenager who thinks Barack Obama is analogous to Calvin Coolidge.

And hell, even I'm not that old to bring up Calvin Coolidge. :cool:

TP2000

I’m on the southbound Amtrak surfliner right now - if they have any soft-opens I’ll be sure to give this food a try the next few days!

Surfliner out of where? Santa Barbara? And you're on WiFi in Business Class? Fabulous.

I'm jealous. I've promised myself I'll get in one more big long-distance train trip in a Superliner Roomette or Bedroom. But I'm so ticked off that they have yet to replace the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight that I've not pulled the trigger. Covid closures screwed up a lot of my early 2020's travel plans from Tokyo to Tacoma.

The Empire Builder is still an option though, from Seattle to Minneapolis to see the Mary Tyler Moore statue, later this fall.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Something has changed since the 20th century regarding allergies and susceptibility to them. There's been a few good points here made about our overuse of sanitary practices and an unnatural fear of Mother Nature and the planet's natural bacteria and viruses that swarm around us.
Something besides medicine and research advancing changed, I think so too.

I get where you're coming from, I do. Perhaps immune systems aren't as strong today as they were back then? Speaking from personal experience (and showing my age, lol!), I can tell you that as a kid, I'd eat whatever my mom put on the table, no questions asked. Me and my siblings would eat street food from time to time, played outside when it rained, played with mud, etc. To this day, I thank my parents' upbringing for my strong immune system so far, *knock on wood*!

donaldtoo

Something besides medicine and research advancing changed, I think so too.

I get where you're coming from, I do. Perhaps immune systems aren't as strong today as they were back then? Speaking from personal experience (and showing my age, lol!), I can tell you that as a kid, I'd eat whatever my mom put on the table, no questions asked. Me and my siblings would eat street food from time to time, played outside when it rained, played with mud, etc. To this day, I thank my parents' upbringing for my strong immune system so far, *knock on wood*!

When I was a kid, I don’t remember anyone having food allergies.
Myself and my 2 younger bros (and later my 12-year-younger sis) ate what Mom put on the table, or nothing at all. There was no option, and it was never a problem…steak and taters, liver and onions, lasagna (hey, we weren’t complete Barbarians :hilarious:), etc. We ate it all.
Especially during the summer, most of our time was spent outside. We’d get on our bikes in the morning after breakfast, with a little lawn mowing money in our pockets for lunch, and disappear for the day.
Mom and Pop knew we’d be home in time for dinner.
Our home was clean, but, by no means sterile. Life is germs. I knew kids where their home was kept, basically, spotless, and they were sick with something so much of the time.
Ya’ can’t build up a tolerance to germs if you’re never exposed to ‘em, and tryin’ to prevent/mitigate ‘em completely is futile.
To this day, we still chuckle about how different our youthful lives were from the youth of today…!!!!! :hilarious:

PiratesMansion

Food allergies-and the severe reactions that could result-were a known quantity at least as far back as the nineties. It's not a new or radical thing by any stretch. But if you prefer a food culture where different dietary needs are basically never considered or accommodated, there's always Japan (and even Tokyo Disney Resort is absolutely included in that statement)!

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

My hunch is that no one gave a crap about food allergies in the 20th century. 🤣

And because it was such a small percentage of the population, the average business wasn't going to bother with the hassle and expense of changing the menu for someone who said "I need to see the Sesame Allergy menu".
Similarly, no-one addressed accessibility for disabled people before the twentieth century. What’s your point exactly? That companies are wasting time catering to those who have needs that the majority don’t?

Last edited:

Phroobar

There are numerous documentaries on Netflix and prime that talk about how our national food supply isn't as safe as once thought. How often is lettuce being pulled from store shelves because of E. coli outbreaks? Meat used to lead to food poisoning because it was undercooked and poorly handled at the processing plants. Wheat production is at an all time high because of genetic engineering but it has also produced new allergies. The poisons used to kill bugs on food crops are destroying the biology of bacteria in the soil making it infertile. It turns farm land into desert. A lot of those pesticides are traced back to Monsanto. So much for Miracles from Molecules.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainsOfDisney

Surfliner out of where? Santa Barbara? And you're on WiFi in Business Class? Fabulous.
Flew into Bob Hope so just walked over and grabbed the train down to Anaheim. Great way to start the trip!

I will say the Mardis gras colors of the banners don’t look as authentic New Orleans as before, but they do look good. It’s definitely more theme park looking and less authentic but that’s the new Disney I guess.

Still looks good. :)

Californian Elitist

Tom Bricker from Disney Tourist Blog posted some early food reviews, if anyone’s interested:

TP2000

Similarly, no-one addressed accessibility for disabled people before the twentieth century. What’s your point exactly? That companies are wasting time catering to those who have needs that the majority don’t?

No, my point (or simple commentary) was summed up in the first post from me yesterday on this allergy menu thing...

There's a part of me that thinks it's really great that Disney offers these options. But then there's a part of me that is absolutely baffled that all these food allergies now exist and in my entire life I've never known a single person with any of them, much less had a party guest say "Does the pan sauce you are serving with the steak au poivre have soy sauce in it? I have a soy allergy."

And from that honest comment based on my own Lived Experiences, we were off to the races. 🤣

SplashJacket

I missed that one, but that's a classic. 🤣

This thought occurred to me when looking at the new Tiana's Palace menu... how did all these people get so many food allergies? There's a separate Tiana's Palace menu for the following allergies;

Gluten/Wheat Allergy Menu
Egg Allergy Menu
Fish/Shellfish Allergy Menu
Milk Allergy Menu
Peanut/Tree Nut Allergy Menu
Soy Allergy Menu
Sesame Allergy Menu

I'm baffled. I'm an old guy, I've had a lot of friends over the decades, and I've loved to throw dinner parties and attend dinner parties. I have never known anyone who had a food allergy, much less voice that need to a host or hostess. In decades of hosting I've never even asked my guests if they're allergic to shrimp in the canape's, or milk in the potatoes dauphinoise, or sesame seeds on the July 4th barbecue hamburger buns. And no one has ever asked me.

There's a part of me that thinks it's really great that Disney offers these options. But then there's a part of me that is absolutely baffled that all these food allergies now exist and in my entire life I've never known a single person with any of them, much less had a party guest say "Does the pan sauce you are serving with the steak au poivre have soy sauce in it? I have a soy allergy."

Who are all these folks with all these food allergies, and how did we not know about them just 15 years ago??? 🤔

I will say, based on my experience, I grew up in a household where I was afforded access to every type of food.

As a kid I ate crab, lobster, shrimp, salmon, eggs, bread, meat, vegetables, everything. Breakfast was my favorite meal of the day. I could down 4 eggs with little hesitation (not an exaggeration, for better or worse). My favorite dish in the world were the Crab Cakes at Atlanta Fish Market with mash potato and chives. I absolutely loved these dishes.

Randomly, and for no good apparent reason, I developed an egg and shellfish allergy. The egg allergy developed first, followed by the shellfish allergy a couple of years later. Absolutely zero allergies before or after that point. Very bizarre.

Personally, I’m a very extroverted person, but I still hate feeling like a burden. As a very little kid, my aunt would always complain to the waiter to bring a chef or cook or whomever because she was gluten free. She didn’t have a gluten allergy or a gluten intolerance, she straight up just made a conscious decision to stop eating gluten. She was an absolute pain in the rear for everyone involved. She delayed everyone’s dinner, wasted the staff’s time, among other problems. If you’re choosing to go on a diet, from my perspective, it’s best just to stick to whatever doesn’t obviously contain whatever you’re trying to avoid, and if you’re unsure, a simple question should suffice. No need to make it into a huge hysteria. Watching her behaved this way largely communicated to me that I needed to minimize my disturbances to others.

One of the first places we went after getting a confirmation for my allergies was Disney, and they’re absolutely fantastic for allergies, as others have previously mentioned. That said, in trying to avoid being a pain regarding allergies, Disney, to me, is often too good. To me, it makes me uncomfortable because they make a huge deal about it. When my allergies first about, my dad would often decide on an appetizer like calamari (which falls under the shellfish umbrella), for example, and then comment about how they needed to get something else instead, because I couldn’t eat it. It was very frustrating as a child because my dad was just trying to be considerate and accommodating, but it made me uncomfortable.

I say all of this, because even at a place like Disney, where they’re very good about it, I don’t like mentioning it, which brings a certain level of risk. Thankfully, I don’t have drop-dead allergies for simple cross contamination or very trace amounts. It’s still poses a threat, I always carry an epi-pen, but many people with allergies require absolutely zero tolerance, so it can be debilitating. These people are generally the exception, most people with allergies can withstand some level of exposure before dropping dead, but at the end of the day, it is playing with fire. I’ve had a few bad reactions over the years, but as a whole, I’ve managed.

To come full circle, I think your perception regarding a lack of allergies likely has a few primary culprits, firstly, many people keep their allergies to themselves, and secondly, I believe you’ve grown up in a generation where the mantra of “pick yourself up by the bootstraps” and “tough it out” reigned supreme, compared to modern standards. As others have mentioned, health standards and awareness have vastly improved.

I fully agree with you, these menus are a relatively new phenomenon barring perhaps some minor examples, but they’re extremely useful to those who need them, and decrease the inconvenience for everyone. It’s safer and better for the the person with the allergy. It’s better for the party of the guest, because their service will be faster. It’s better for everyone else, because it’s not consuming the staff’s time to have a Q&A session. It’s hardly a bad thing.

Most everyone can manage. In a weird convenience, I recently went to Disneyland with a friend with celiac disease. At one point during the day, we stopped for a snack at the corn dog stand on main street. Unfortunately, she couldn’t get anything because it’s made with gluten. There were no gluten-free options, which is understandable since it’s a cart, but if there were, her day could’ve been better. Disclaimer: I’m not suggesting a corn dog cart should answer the needs of every allergy ever, as it’s unreasonable. My point is, for those who need it, even if it’s a niche subset of guests, it makes their lives substantially better.

Besides the one friend I went to Disneyland with, I personally don’t know of anyone else’s allergy’s within my sphere of influence. I definitely know people with food allergies, but I don’t necessarily know about them.

Only 4% of adults have food allergies, which roughly equates to one in 25. Over the course of several months, I probably don’t even dine with 25 people, but even if I did, I probably wouldn’t know if they had an allergy, because not everyone has an allergy severe enough to warrant the dish is 100% of cross contamination (and if they do, dining anywhere is a challenge). Regardless, roughly 200,000 people are hospitalized each year for food related allergic reactions in the U.S. which roughly equates to 0.06% of the population each year, which isn’t a lot, but it’s non-zero.

I think claims that an explosion of allergies is overblown, a lot of it, from my perspective is the optics of allergies often gets conflated with fad-diets, alongside a decrease of the “deal with it on your own” attitude, which leads to people being more vocal.

So including these menus might not have a huge impact, even on the Disney scale, but for those who need it, it makes the process light years more convenient.

Having these menus be readily available is awesome, and should be applauded.

If menus like this were included everywhere, I would pick them up every time (even if I don’t ask for assistance with my allergy now at restaurants) which would’ve prevented multiple reactions in the past, and while those reactions weren’t fatal or worth a trip to the hospital, to say they ruined my day likely is an understatement.

Very glad these menus are becoming more common, even if they weren’t available in the past.

TP2000

I nodded along in agreement with your thoughtful post, thank you.

And this part really stood out and made sense to me...

Only 4% of adults have food allergies, which roughly equates to one in 25. Over the course of several months, I probably don’t even dine with 25 people, but even if I did, I probably wouldn’t know if they had an allergy, because not everyone has an allergy severe enough to warrant the dish is 100% of cross contamination (and if they do, dining anywhere is a challenge). Regardless, roughly 200,000 people are hospitalized each year for food related allergic reactions in the U.S. which roughly equates to 0.06% of the population each year, which isn’t a lot, but it’s non-zero.

When I think about it like that, even in my dinner party heyday in my old OC home I probably only had a group of potential guests to invite, or hosts/hostesses to invite me, that numbered 75 at most and spread from Rancho Mirage to OC to La Jolla.

And as food allergies are a medical concern that seems to impact today's young adults who were raised in overly hygienic and fearful homes and environments, it's probably less than 4% when you think of Americans over age 60 or so. (AKA The AARP Dinner Party Circuit)

I'd actually be tickled to death to have a dinner guest tell me about their food allergies. Hosting is a competitive sport in my circle, and I'm going to be ready for 'em when that day comes. :cool:

TP2000

Also after seeing it in person - they so far have left the trees, the concept art looked like they may cut them down so it’s a better view of the restaurant - the trees help hide the over the top theming so it’s not as bad as it looked in the original art.

That French Market Tiana's Palace patio with its bandstand, and its huge dining capacity, is really the sole reason for that restaurant to exist. The trees have grown in to shelter it and make it even better and more comfortably shaded than it was decades ago.

If they cut down those trees.... well, even today's TDA and WDI executives aren't that clueless about park operations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom