News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

Californian Elitist

On opening day in July, 1966? No, I wasn't there that year.

But I can assure you that if you asked a 20 year old waitress in 1966, or 1986, or even 1996 if she could bring you the Sesame Allergy menu, she would have had absolutely no idea what you were talking about. 🤣
You can’t assure something like that.

These allergies didn’t just magically appear within the last 20 years.

Phroobar

We can blame the genetically engineered wheat that is put in everything for celiac disease and Monsanto for the overuse of pesticides. Miracles from molecules my .

TP2000

I'm forever impressed by your ability to be genuinely angry and grumpy about anything. 😍

I wonder when Disneyland first offered an allergy menu option? My guess would be sometime in the 2000's. And I would assume it was a dairy allergy option as the first one, then expanded from there. They really seemed to be a thing that really got going in the 2010's though, so perhaps that's when these menu options began arriving at Disneyland restaurants?

I'll have to look into that. They certainly weren't an option proactively offered in the 20th century, that's for sure.

Californian Elitist

IMG_4539.jpeg

TP2000

I'm going to do some research into this topic of Allergy Menus at Disneyland, as it's really interesting. My hunch is that the first allergy options weren't being offered to guests until sometime after the year 2000, but I could be wrong and the first one arrived in the 1990's.

Here's the original 1967 Menu from The Blue Bayou. I'll look for some archival stuff on French Market menus, but this is exactly as I remember the 20th century. A little blurb or two in fine print about sales tax or gratuity, but never a word about menu alterations or allergy options. I imagine the word "vegetarian" didn't even show up on Disneyland menus until the 1990's, much less "allergy".

Blue Bayou '67 Menu.jpg

BuddyThomas

I'm forever impressed by your ability to be genuinely angry and grumpy about anything. 😍

I wonder when Disneyland first offered an allergy menu option? My guess would be sometime in the 2000's. And I would assume it was a dairy allergy option as the first one, then expanded from there. They really seemed to be a thing that really got going in the 2010's though, so perhaps that's when these menu options began arriving at Disneyland restaurants?

I'll have to look into that. They certainly weren't an option proactively offered in the 20th century, that's for sure.
I’m not angry or grumpy. I’m just replying to a post. And based on yours, you didn’t even bother to glance at the article I posted, just as you refuse to see the movies you claim are trash without having seen them.

Californian Elitist

Yes, I can. It's called "Lived Experience". Or are you now telling me what my memories of the 20th century should now be?

That's a baffling thing to say to someone older than you, I have to admit.
No, you can’t. Again, you can’t “assure” me that no 20-year-old waitress or waiter within a 30-year span would have known what those allergies were. Yes, I am telling you that you don’t know that and have no way of knowing that.

BuddyThomas

I'm going to do some research into this topic of Allergy Menus at Disneyland, as it's really interesting. My hunch is that the first allergy options weren't being offered to guests until sometime after the year 2000, but I could be wrong and the first one arrived in the 1990's.

Here's the original 1967 Menu from The Blue Bayou. I'll look for some archival stuff on French Market menus, but this is exactly as I remember the 20th century. A little blurb or two in fine print about sales tax or gratuity, but never a word about menu alterations or allergy options. I imagine the word "vegetarian" didn't even show up on Disneyland menus until the 1990's, much less "allergy".

View attachment 739004
That’s some amazing research! Have you researched the “why”?

TP2000

We can blame the genetically engineered wheat that is put in everything for celiac disease and Monsanto for the overuse of pesticides. Miracles from molecules my .

But I've certainly heard of celiac disease. That's been around for centuries and afflicted a very small but notable portion of the population. And now I see that @CalifornianElitist has put something up about it. Monsanto didn't exist until the 20th century, so we can't blame them for celiac disease. Or at least we shouldn't.

That still doesn't get to the interesting issue of how Disneyland operated its restaurants for decades for hundreds of millions of people from all around the world without Allergy Menu options. And now you've got Tiana's Palace with a total of eight (8) different menus for various allergies and diets? Fascinating.

Phroobar

But I've certainly heard of celiac disease. That's been around for centuries and afflicted a very small but notable portion of the population. And now I see that @CalifornianElitist has put something up about it. Monsanto didn't exist until the 20th century, so we can't blame them for celiac disease. Or at least we shouldn't.

That still doesn't get to the interesting issue of how Disneyland operated its restaurants for decades for hundreds of millions of people from all around the world without Allergy Menu options. And now you've got Tiana's Palace with a total of eight (8) different menus for various allergies and diets? Fascinating.
Actually we can because genetically engineered wheat contributed to new cases.

TP2000

That’s some amazing research! Have you researched the “why”?

My hunch is that no one gave a crap about food allergies in the 20th century. 🤣

And because it was such a small percentage of the population, the average business wasn't going to bother with the hassle and expense of changing the menu for someone who said "I need to see the Sesame Allergy menu".

Californian Elitist

I’m reminded of my students that make broad and vast statements in their essays. “No one believes in re-paying student loans.” “Nobody enjoys eating vegetables.” Statements like that are unsupported/cannot be proven and should always be re-worded.

What is true is that people have developed more intolerances to certain foods over the years. So, we can say that gluten-free or soy-free options on menus from the 1960s were POSSIBLY rare or POSSIBLY did not exist. We can say that it’s POSSIBLE that SOME waiters or waitresses did not know that people could be allergic to eggs or gluten many years ago (what are the odds of that?) and restaurants MAY have been limited in terms of allergy-related menus. But to flat out say that not a single 20-year-old (how specific) waiter or waitress between the years of 1966 and 1996 would have had access to a soy-free menu or soy-free food options is disingenuous, as it is a broad statement and simply cannot be proven.

Californian Elitist

What other of my own Lived Experiences would you like to correct for me? Teach me, teacher.

You want to tell me what a visit to the Men's Department at Buffum's was like in 1978? I remember that, even remember my favorite salesman's name ("Charles"), but I need you to tell me the new way to remember it. :cool:
What lived experiences? Lol you weren’t there to confirm your broad statement.

Class dismissed.

BuddyThomas

I’m reminded of my students that make broad and vast statements in their essays. “No one believes in re-paying student loans.” “Nobody enjoys eating vegetables.” Statements like that are unsupported/cannot be proven and should always be re-worded.

What is true is that people have developed more intolerances to certain foods over the years. So, we can say that gluten-free or soy-free options on menus from the 1960s were POSSIBLY rare or POSSIBLY did not exist. We can say that it’s POSSIBLE that SOME waiters or waitresses did not know that people could be allergic to eggs or gluten many years ago (what are the odds of that?) and restaurants MAY have been limited in terms of allergy-related menus. But to flat out say that not a single 20-year-old (how specific) waiter or waitress between the years of 1966 and 1996 would have had access to a soy-free menu or soy-free food options is disingenuous, as it is a broad statement and simply cannot be proven.
Thank you.

TP2000

I’m not angry or grumpy. I’m just replying to a post. And based on yours, you didn’t even bother to glance at the article I posted, just as you refuse to see the movies you claim are trash without having seen them.

I think we should just chalk this up to cultural differences between busy New York and beachy SoCal.

This is what I just found. As I suspected from my memory and Lived Experiences ;), printed Allergy Menus and formalized options didn't arrive at Disneyland until the mid 2010's.

The first published Allergy Menu options arrived at Disney World in September, 2014, and they were for Gluten Free options. It was rolled out as a "pilot program" at select table service restaurants.

Then in April, 2015 the pilot program led to the first official Allergy Menus were offered at Disney World and Disneyland. In 2015 they expanded the menu options to five different allergies. Prior to this, the suggestion on the Disneyland website for those with food allergies was to "Ask to speak with a Chef about meal options" at your dining location. (Try that at the Tomorrowland Terrace window on a busy Saturday at Noon.)

TP2000

You know who would be great to ask about this? Our friend @Parteecia

She worked at Casa de Fritos in the 1970's and rose to become was a shift supervisor there. I wonder if she ever remembers Moms coming in and asking about Soy Allergy or Sesame Allergy or Tree Nut Allergy menu options for the tacos and salads there? Surely a sweetheart of a firecracker who could tell guests they kept Walt's frozen head in the back freezer would have a line or two for the allergy options. 😍

Any insight from the old memory banks on guests asking about food allergies in the 70's, dear Parteecia?

BuddyThomas

I think we should just chalk this up to cultural differences between busy New York and beachy SoCal.

This is what I just found. As I suspected from my memory and Lived Experiences ;), printed Allergy Menus and formalized options didn't arrive at Disneyland until the mid 2010's.

The first published Allergy Menu options arrived at Disney World in September, 2014, and they were for Gluten Free options. It was rolled out as a "pilot program" at select table service restaurants.

Then in April, 2015 the pilot program led to the first official Allergy Menus were offered at Disney World and Disneyland. In 2015 they expanded the menu options to five different allergies. Prior to this, the suggestion on the Disneyland website for those with food allergies was to "Ask to speak with a Chef about meal options" at your dining location. (Try that at the Tomorrowland Terrace window on a busy Saturday at Noon.)

Again, you are ignoring the reasons why. This isn’t going to go well if you ignore the reasons why. This isn’t your fifteen million box office analysis’ per day trying to prove that Disney films suck. This has to do with people’s lives.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

You know who would be great to ask about this? Our friend @Parteecia

She worked at Casa de Fritos in the 1970's and rose to become was a shift supervisor there. I wonder if she ever remembers Moms coming in and asking about Soy Allergy or Sesame Allergy or Tree Nut Allergy menu options for the tacos and salads there?

Any insight from the old memory banks, my dear Parteecia?
What does that have to do with anything?????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom