Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Captain Neo

I hate how in modern Disney rides the characters stop, wait for your ride vehicle to come up and then start talking directly to the guests. It was better when the guests were passive observers in the universe we don’t need to be “part of the adventure” especially when the writing of the dialogue is so bad it’s super childish even compared to how the characters talk in the movies

JohnD

I hate how in modern Disney rides the characters stop, wait for your ride vehicle to come up and then start talking directly to the guests. It was better when the guests were passive observers in the universe we don’t need to be “part of the adventure” especially when the writing of the dialogue is so bad it’s super childish even compared to how the characters talk in the movies
The worst offender is Tiana herself after we see the third band. Depending on much the logs are spaced out, she's just sitting there apparently lost in thought until your log knocks her out of her stupor.

Video starts at 4:13

Last edited:

doctornick

The worst offender is Tiana herself after we see the third band. Depending on much the logs are spaced out, she's just sitting there apparently lost in thought until your log knocks her out of her stupor.

Right. AAs should really be in constant motion and "doing something" before you get there - that can be the case even if they directly reference you (yuck) as part of the ride.

VicariousCorpse

He brings up a good point. In the shrinking area, are we actually turned into frogs which has the effect of shrinking or just shrunk generally? It really is confusing.
There's no indication that we are supposed to be turning into frogs, Mama Odie just talks about making us tiny. But we are being shrunk inside a Princess and the Frog ride so the implication is there and probably will always be confusing to some.

JohnD

There's no indication that we are supposed to be turning into frogs, Mama Odie just talks about making us tiny. But we are being shrunk inside a Princess and the Frog ride so the implication is there and probably will always be confusing to some.
I know. I think her specifically turning us into frogs could have been an explicit reference that would tie it back to PatF.

In the Parks
No
A few more random thoughts based on various lines said:
  • "Hey, any musicians down here who can play a horn and jam?" says Louis, in the garden of Tiana's Foods. Why is he looking there? It still makes no sense. Tiana just said we were going to the bayou, but he's looking for grasshoppers in the okra?
  • "They're all going to play at the party, but we have to keep exploring HIGH and LOW!" says Tiana, after we found the two critter bands. Why? We just found a whole bunch of critters.
  • "Time to think big! Time to get tiny...tiny...tiny..." Whose idea was this? Tiana? She doesn't mention Mama Odie once, and then it seems to be a surprise to her that we're tiny, because she can't find us for a minute. Then they find us, but they don't seem at all affected by the fact that we're tiny. They don't even mention it; they just bop their CGI heads to the music.
  • "Hope you enjoyed being tiny!" exclaims Mama Odie. One of my least favorite lines. It's painfully simplistic.
  • "We gotta get you to the party!" Weren't we with Tiana like two seconds ago? Why did she leave without us? Especially after we helped her find the critters she needed!

JohnD

• "Hey, any musicians down here who can play a horn and jam?" says Louis, in the garden of Tiana's Foods. Why is he looking there? It still makes no sense. Tiana just said we were going to the bayou, but he's looking for grasshoppers in the okra?
  • "They're all going to play at the party, but we have to keep exploring HIGH and LOW!" says Tiana, after we found the two critter bands. Why? We just found a whole bunch of critters.
  • "Time to think big! Time to get tiny...tiny...tiny..." Whose idea was this? Tiana? She doesn't mention Mama Odie once, and then it seems to be a surprise to her that we're tiny, because she can't find us for a minute. Then they find us, but they don't seem at all affected by the fact that we're tiny. They don't even mention it; they just bop their CGI heads to the music.
  • "Hope you enjoyed being tiny!" exclaims Mama Odie. One of my least favorite lines. It's painfully simplistic.
  • "We gotta get you to the party!" Weren't we with Tiana like two seconds ago? Why did she leave without us? Especially after we helped her find the critters she needed!
🤷‍♂️

In the Parks
No
Probably some plants. Or maybe an amazing animatronic of this guy:
View attachment 788875

I'm hoping for the latter. He seems like he could turn this whole thing around.
Man, now I really wish they'd put in an animatronic of this guy! He's got the moves:
1717536399210.png

Captain Neo

I think your supposed to be shrunk the whole time because one of the early scenes have these giant cat creatures

davis_unoxx

It’s bad we got exposition, and these are the lines they came up with.

Without a doubt in my mind, ChatGpt could have done a better job.

Captain Neo

Why are the AAs all bunched up together? Couldn’t they have spread them out on both sides of the water and in different areas?

Feels very forced. Also in Splash Mountain like 90% of the AAs were completely unique in this ride they just duplicated several of the AAs from the beginning of the attraction for the ending

SilentWindODoom

Phew. A lot less posts to catch up on in this thread.

I would say if the mouths move and "sound is coming out" then it's an AA. When a bear is rocking back and forth with a log trumpet, it doesn't count.

I wouldn't say Splash had 100+ (at least not WDW's), but by my recollection it had far more than what TBA has.

That definition is a bit narrow. I'd a while ago mentioned that a lot of additional motion in older critters appeared to be a part of them singing and the associated movements, movement that a person who was playing a trumpet wouldn't make. Audio Animatronic vs. Limited Motion Figure isn't a big deal to me if the limited motion is what would be natural for the character to make in the action they're performing. Heck, the Tiana who's looking down in awe is a waste of a fancier figure.

That being said, there are a couple of the Zydeco figures that absolutely look like they're just doing the Food Rocks rocking back and forth and it's rough.

Where did anyone call people names for liking what they've seen? I think it's called having an unpopular opinion. I'm glad you like what you see. I don't like what I see, and that's ok. For some reason I got banned from the other thread, but I do not engage in name-calling or "gotcha!" tactics. I haven't really seen that from other people either. I do make a lot of jokes, and then people get mad about the jokes I make. But they're never directed at anyone.

"Pixie Duster"
"Glazer"
"The Shield"

Not you specifically, but over the last few years there's been a lot of name-calling and dismissal. It is unacceptable from either side. Debate is fine. I love debate. It's fun. But nobody should be impugning motivations or making assumptions beyond what is said.

Just a fun little reminder of how full of life and magical this could have been... if they had let anyone with an ounce of creative talent work on it instead of focus group feedback...

I feel like (besides the starburst pattern), a lot of these visuals actually are represented within the ride.

The more I think about it, the more the food co-op backstory bothers me. I mean, it's clear they came up with it as an explanation for the outdoor portions and for why a Tiana ride would involve barns and a big mountain/salt dome. But it really amounts to nothing but overthinking.

They really could've saved a lot of work (and money) just having us go on a random boat tour through the bayou and go down Slippin' Falls and happen to meet the PatF characters while we're down there. It works for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Though if Pirates were built today, there'd be a long backstory about how Jack Sparrow built a restaurant enterprise on the Blue Bayou and he needs us to go into the Caribbean to help him find gold to pay off his small business loan.

Would Pirates be replacing a ride in response to vocal outcry by a segment that would be placated by buzzwords? If so, I couldn't see why they'd do that.

What was worrisome to me was the LONG pauses of the log. near the end, the log paused so long they edited the video to cut out some of the pause.

The biggest sin of this attraction is timing. I don't know how much logjams and waits were an issue on Splash. I'd appreciate someone telling me. So many things in the new experience count on timing, and it is having issues everywhere. I can only hope this is an early kink that will be worked out after three weeks.

I don’t get that Armadillo character. He’s a miss for me. Not charming or funny. Not sure what the purpose of him appearing a few times is. His design actually a bit off putting for whatever reason.

Seemed like he (I'd earlier in my initial thoughts misremembered Lari as a "she") was meant as a fun little Easter Egg to find throughout the ride. But I can only find three in hugely obvious positions. I don't understand what's going on with this at all. Are there supposed to be more?

Tiana looking for a band the day of a party doesn't make sense with what we know about her. She's a planner. She plans things out years in advance. She is not going to launch an expedition into the dark recesses of the bayou looking for reptiles and small mammals the night of a party. That's out of character. If she was bound and determined to have a critter band, she would have organized it well in advance. I don't know how many of you have journeyed into a bayou before, but I can guarantee that it's not an easy environment to navigate. It's beautiful, but it's also wild and untamed. It's a little like saying, "I'm going to mount an expedition into the Amazon Rainforest so I can find some small creatures to man my cocktail bar later this evening."

We really, really, really need to have someone camp out in the queue and give us a recording of the full audio loop. We've heard an additional story introduction there, and a full wait may likely give a number of such snippets. We've all made assumptions, suppositions that there was a last minute cancellation leading to this, but it absolutely can't just lean on us. I really hope this and perhaps a mention of hearing tunes in the swamp are included in the queue audio.

Video starts at 4:13

More than the animatronic's inactive state, the fact that she's sitting there like that is a problem. She's running around in search for a band. Why is she just sitting there? If they added a bit of motion like her fanning herself with her hat to make it look like she was taking a rest, or she mentioned waiting for Louis to get unstuck, it would work. As it is, she's just sitting there.

Musical Mermaid

It's a mess, but also, it's a sequel. Think back to some of the horrible direct to video animated sequels Disney released. There was usually bad writing, mediocre songs, characters acting strange, and new forgettable characters. This ride fits right in with them.

There are so many things that don't make sense. I asked my young nieces their opinions on the ride, figuring they were the key demographic and they said they preferred the story and songs from Splash Mountain. One of them said little kids will probably like this ride. Neither have any interest in riding TBA.

Disstevefan1

It's a mess, but also, it's a sequel. Think back to some of the horrible direct to video animated sequels Disney released. There was usually bad writing, mediocre songs, characters acting strange, and new forgettable characters. This ride fits right in with them.

There are so many things that don't make sense. I asked my young nieces their opinions on the ride, figuring they were the key demographic and they said they preferred the story and songs from Splash Mountain. One of them said little kids will probably like this ride. Neither have any interest in riding TBA.
I want to ride it because its a fun flume ride but if the line is too long I wont.

I do like the queue, but I see a lot of duplicate signs!!!!???!! There is not enough creativity to make them unique!!!???

Its true. Like many of their movies, this attraction is not made for everyone.

To Disney's credit, the make what they want and they are OK it does not have mass appeal.

Animaniac93-98

@wdwmagic 's video is by far the best one out there, and really lets you appreciate the scenic details of the ride.

As others have said, the faults of the ride are more to do with its story, writing, programming, staging and pacing than any technical craft. That and they took a ride literally and figuratively centered around a big drop, and made it totally incidental to the experience.

The ride is a series of disjointed elements that look nice in isolation, but don't work together as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom