Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Tha Realest

Dr. Facilier. There are a lot of scholarly articles that came out when the movie originally did that talked about why, that I won't rehash here, but you're free to do your own search. I should say that I am surprised it doesn't come up more, but I am not because then people would have to confront and unpack their own biases.
Your post seemed to suggest Randy Newman was problematic.

I’m familiar with the arguments against Facilier, but if you credit those arguments then I’m not sure how you look past Odie, who checks many of those same “problematic” boxes.

doctornick

Who is problematic?

I think there is some criticism of the Dr. Facilier for two distinct reasons...

1. the idea that he practices voodoo and this is black arts ("work of the devil") and that shouldn't be exposed to younger children. Similar to the complains regarding Harry Potter and it being satanic from some circles

2. the idea that as a Black character he is an unsightly stereotype of being manipulative and uses underhanded ways to get ahead. So he kind of perpetuates stereotypes of POC resorting to illegal means to achieve their goal

Basically, he has received criticism from both sides of the political spectrum. It's a pity because as has been mentioned, he was a great part of the movie and would be fun to have on the ride.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I’m familiar with the arguments against Facilier, but if you credit those arguments then I’m not sure how you look past Odie, who checks many of those same “problematic” boxes.
She definitely does check many of the problematic Voodoo boxes. Maybe they can get away with because she’s less in your face “demon” than Facilier.

That’s just a theory though

WoundedDreamer

This is a very slight critique, but I am a little sad that Tiana's design now is closer to the Frozen/Tangled/Raya sameface designs , rather than the beautiful one of the film. It's not as extreme as those ones, and she still retains a lot of her original essence, but it's still a little disheartening.
I'll admit to being perplexed when I saw the computer animation used at points in the attraction. I'm not a computer animation hater by any stretch (Pixar rocks!), but a big part of the Princess and the Frog's identity was its hand-drawn art. It's an odd choice. It might lend credence to the idea that they're trying to create a Princess and the Frog "universe." Is this preparing us for future projects with CG Tiana?

Nland316

More of a general observation..

It kinda bothers me, especially with how great these modern AA’s look, that their movements look silly and overly exaggerated. When you break it down, all they’re doing is aggressively flaring their arms as they talk. Reminds me of those inflatable tube balloons.

It’s not a problem exclusive to just Tiana’s, it’s there in Fantasy Springs too and a lot of other modern AA’s.

Would much rather have them look like they’re walking along with us, or engaging in some type of unique way.

Dear Prudence

Your post seemed to suggest Randy Newman was problematic.

Oh, hahaha! You're right, it could be read that way. (I also think Newman is problematic (and obnoxious), so maybe that came across in the post).

Dear Prudence

I'll admit to being perplexed when I saw the computer animation used at points in the attraction. I'm not a computer animation hater by any stretch (Pixar rocks!), but a big part of the Princess and the Frog's identity was its hand-drawn art. It's an odd choice. It might lend credence to the idea that they're trying to create a Princess and the Frog "universe." Is this preparing us for future projects with CG Tiana?
And not just CG, but cheap looking CG, reminiscent of those old point and click games from the early 2000's. It's at a direct contract to the aesthetic of the animatronics (the nice ones, at least).

Princess and the Frog was created in the spirit of the Renaissance when every movie had a distinct design. Tiana is such a beautiful character who is beautifully drawn. Since Tangled, all of the female Disney characters have had the same face/facial structures, regardless of ethnicity. It's not as extreme here, but it's leaning towards it and it just makes me sad. 😭

yensidtlaw1969

It's because the screens are meant to match the other 3D representations of the characters in the ride. You're meant to feel like you're in their world, and in their world they're not flat animations.

The better choice would have been to use Animatronics in place of the screens, but if there are going to be screens then hand drawn animation isn't a stylistic match since the "real" Tiana isn't flat.

Dear Prudence

It's because the screens are meant to match the other 3D representations of the characters in the ride. You're meant to feel like you're in their world, and in their world they're not flat animations.
I would have never even considered that take away from those, honestly. That's interesting, but I would have never gotten that from those. Interesting.

yensidtlaw1969

I would have never even considered that take away from those, honestly. That's interesting, but I would have never gotten that from those. Interesting.
It's not a very convincing attempt, but having Tiana's giant face on a screen in the Shrunken scene is meant to feel to the audience like she's "there", the way she's "there" when you go by her Animatronic, not like you're seeing her on a screen. In Tiana's world there are no screens. But it's a lot to ask of audiences these days - I'd say too much, even - to pretend they can't tell a screen is actually a screen. In basically every case it's at least somewhat obvious.

yensidtlaw1969

Dr facility is not “problematic” lmao if he is then Disney should just stop making movies

Society can’t be offended by everything
I mean, there are good points that have been made about the way he's represented in the movie having some issues.

That said, Disney really doesn't give the impression at all that they're actually concerned about such things, let alone purposefully excluding him. He shows up all the time - just not here, because that wasn't what they wanted the ride to be about.

Kirby86

The better choice would have been to use Animatronics in place of the screens, but if there are going to be screens then hand drawn animation isn't a stylistic match since the "real" Tiana isn't flat.
Then they shouldn't have had you shrink down to frog size since there's no way to have Tiana in those scenes without screens. Personally I'd have founded another excuse to have us go into the Laughing Place then us being shrunk but that's what they chose. However the 3d animation does look off, in that scene.

Dear Prudence

It's not a very convincing attempt, but having Tiana's giant face on a screen in the Shrunken scene is meant to feel to the audience like she's "there", the way she's "there" when you go by her Animatronic, not like you're seeing her on a screen. In Tiana's world there are no screens. But it's a lot to ask of audiences these days - I'd say too much, even - to pretend they can't tell a screen is actually a screen. In basically every case it's at least somewhat obvious.
They did not nail it at all, lol. 😅

AdventureHasAName

Dr facility is not “problematic” lmao if he is then Disney should just stop making movies

Society can’t be offended by everything
I semi-joking, semi-seriously think I'm going to start taking credit for Dr. Facilier not being in the ride because when they first announced the project, I pointed out (on this very message board) that Disney had just declared Trader Sam to be offensive because of his shrunken heads (which meant he had to go), so that meant Dr. Facilier had to be verboten, too. I was kidding at the time, of course, because everyone knows Disney makes this BS up as it goes along, but I'm starting to believe that's why the character was shunned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom